Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your SO feel "trapped"?

It can be difficult to truly know how a person is really feeling but over time you should be able to read one another's feelings on different things but in this instant i can be pretty positive that my wife does not feel trapped at all with my CDing in fact i would say that she is far more comfortable with it than i am , you are obviously concerned about it which is the right way to be so i think you are doing the right thing by giving her the space to take it at her pace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

My SO is so totally supportive and encouraging. She has told me several times that she'd be terribly disappointed if I ever stopped dressing. She loves Krystal, and of course, Krystal loves her.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Life is what happens while you're making other plans

Aspiring Member
    Kathi you said it all sis, that is exactly how i feel and what i have done to my will haunt me till my last breath

totally respectfully

Giselle Reeves

Platinum Member
    Not in my case. I told my wife while we were dating, before we got engaged. I'm sure, however, that there are times when she might wish she was married to a more conventional male. But then, I would also guess that in any marriage, there are things about each partner that the other might wish were different. Everyone has their quirks and imperfections. Its our willingness to accept these things that makes long term relationships possible.

my wife and i have had the talk and yes sometimes i feel she only just tolerates it. i guess just be open, take it slow, be honest see where it goes. This is a big revelation to her keep in mind how she may feel, little dsteps

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Yes, I am sadly sure my wife does feel that way - not that she is trapped in a marriage with me, but trapped in a life that she did not necessarily understand and/or accept. I believe she wants to be married to me as much as I certainly want to be with her, but I do think she is trapped in the sense that she feels that she has to try to accept something she does not understand, does not agree with, and does not want. As a woman and a wife, however, she wants so much to love her husband and be a source of strength and support, but probably feels that by blindly supporting "that thing I do" that she would, in effect, be giving up some of herself in the process.

It's sad that in in trying to be who we are that we cause others pain. I know that I have hurt my wife greatly, and my heart aches for her. Here is a woman that is trying to love me, and constantly sees reminders that I'm not the "normal" man that she wants, and thought she had - shaved legs in the colder months, and other hair removal - and she is expected to just smile? So basically in order for me to "win" she must "lose." That really, really sucks.

And, speaking of the "one must decrease in order for the other to increase" model, here's another way I have hurt my wife, and trapped her in this thing that we here tend to do; Sometimes I will say something on here that makes it sound as if I were the most feminine one in our relationship (totally BS, by the way!), as if that made me better than others by virtue of being the better "woman." Basically, I still go back to the typical male, "Oh yeah? I can top that!" game. Sad.

So, do we trap our wives? Yes. Some of us do. God willing, we make that place a place where they still want to be. This marriage is one "trap" I never want to get out of.

Kathi
    Kathi I loved your reply and it explains it very well. I myself can say as a SO that I feel trapped.. but not trapped in my marriage but into something that really I never wanted. I love my husband to death and would do anything for him which is probably why in the beginning I started out to trying to be so accepting and trying to learn everything I could about this CD world that I was thrown into. But that kinda wore on me and I felt like I was giving and giving and no one was giving back to me. So my whole attitude kinda changed. More as I love you but all this hurts me and I dont like it attitude.

I think GG's in general will take on a lot more and be willing to give up a lot more to make a spouse happy other then a GM and we are less selfish and tend to put others first before our own needs and feelings.. its that mothering instinct. (And I am not saying every male and female are in these roles.. so please dont take that off topic)

I bolded the parts that Kathi wrote which really touched base with me and that I liked.
    I love the fact that my husband can piss me off and make me laugh within seconds of each other!
    I can handle being alone, but doesn't want to be married and feeling alone.
    The only reason the grass looks greener on the other side is because you don't have to mow that lawn.
    Husbands are like children, they behave best when they are sleeping.
    It's always nice when your husband just looks at you and tells you out of the blue, "You are Beautiful"

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Don't fall into this trap!

Some of the BEST ADVICE I ever got when I was married was this:

"Don't assume your SO knows what your thinking. If u REALLY WANT TO KNOW, ASK HIM/HER!"

If he or she won't discuss it, u need professional help NOW! Or, your marriage may be ending soon!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLeigh View Post
    Any advice? What has been your experience?
    My wife has always acted very accepting of my dressing. Occasionally, I find myself wondering if she is just putting on a brave face and feels differently inside... but I finally had to decide that I can't spend my life trying to second-guess her feelings. I love her and trust her enough that I decided that I've got to commit to believing what she says about being OK with my dressing. Otherwise, I'd get caught in a lifetime of 'But what if she really...' suppositions that would be impossible to prove or disprove.

If she DID have issues with me that she needed to resolve, I'm going to have to believe that she would be honest with me and bring them up.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    Occasionally, I find myself wondering . . .

I finally had to decide that I can't spend my life trying to second-guess
    Cristi, and I'm saying this as lovingly as possible, you don't need to wonder and you don't need to guess. She's right there. Ask her!

Will women put on a brave face? Will they bury their feelings for the man they love? Ummmmm, they're women. Duh!

Again, don't wait until it's too late, and her brave face slips. Ask her how she is feeling.

Kathi

The only way to know what she thinks is to ask her and her to open up to you and talk about it.

IMHO not talking about it just makes the mind wander and think about the worse. At least that was my experience with my ex. But my ex was mental not able to talk about a lot of things which is why she is now the ex. But what ever works for the two of you.
    Last edited by KimberlyS; 02-16-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

I am with your wife totally, I feel trapped also. No one that I can talk to about this overwhelming revelation, what if my friends find out, what if somone i work with finds out, what about our children, should they be told, what about "us", where is this all going to lead to, does he want to transition, is he going to be one of these guys that "has" to wear womens clothes with the "need" escalating to where it has with some of the guy on here, ie 50% if the time and they still crave more, is he one of these guys that "changes" when dressed and desires a MAN. How much money is he going to spend, will I ever ever again trust this person that i now feel I have no trust in at all, will we ever get back to where we were before, will i ever stop dying insid??????

it is so unfair for a GG to not have been told very early in a relationship, I have know for 8 months and the thoughts still are ever present, 24/7.

Cindy, hearing your comments is yet another reason why I still feel such guilt. You say your thoughts are always on this, that it's always in the back of your mind. Looking at my wife, I can see this. It colors everything she sees about me, and everything I do - even when it's not what she thinks.

For instance, I dress up about 4-5 times a year. It is obviously not always on my mind. I can go for days and weeks without thinking about my odd little hobby, or desiring to dress up. My wife, however, thinks about it more than me. She sees me with longer then normal nails and thinks, "He wants long, pretty nails." Me? Well, I just haven't taken the time to cut them. Last night, I mentioned that she needed to take me shoe shopping. I saw a flash of fear in her eyes, and realized she thought I meant shopping for women's shoes. What I meant was my one pair of work shoes needed to be replaced.

Ladies, it seems that your mind is always churning - connecting the dots that sometimes don't exist. Can I speak for all of us when I say that we're sorry for putting you through all this?

Another source of guilt is one you mentioned; the inability to talk to others. When I burdened her with this secret, her shame and guilt for me all but guaranteed that this secret would be trapped between us. This is not something that you take to your small group as a prayer request. At least I have this forum and the people I've come to know in it as a wonderful source of support. She doesn't have that. Yes, I know about the FAB forum, but do I really want her here? Do I want her to wade through issues that she doesn't even think about yet about me? She knows that I like to dress up, will she also think that I'm like some of the more colorful others here?

Cindy, one phrase stuck with me in your post above, ". . . will we ever get back to where we were before?" Can you explain that more for me? I know my relationship with my wife has changed over the 20-ish years of marriage. We have had our rough spots (Yay me! ), but overall, it has changed for the better. Should a relationship stagnate? Do you really want to be what and who you were before?

Kathi

Just a girl at heart too Kerigirl2009's Avatar
    I would think that yes she feels trapped because she is married to me and yes I am a crossdresser. Now that is me thinking and I am probably wrong, but I will not admit to being wrong.
    This is a problem I have to bare and she gets to deal with. I have not forced her to stay so She still has a choice to stay or leave. I am praying for the Stay with me.

Now if I take this crossdressing much further I may be forcing her hand to make a decision if she can live with a husband that has a feminine side and wants to show it at times, (well almost all the time) except when I know it will make her upset because she is not as comfortable with the crossdressing as I am.

I want to go out and LIVE and meet people that will get to know Keri and she prefers I stay WAY BACK in the closet and lock the door. I cant do that any longer

I know I want to have Laser hair removal and OMG I would love to have breasts but I hold off on that because I know a decision like that is a push her over the edge moment and I love her to much for that. But if she said GO for it I would in a heartbeat, But that will not happen

So yes I think my wife feels trapped But she still tries to love me just the same
    I wish I had the courage to just be myself and live my life how I want

I'm similar to Cindy.. In the past 14mo that I have known and the cats been out of the bag there is not a day that goes by that I'm not thinking about it. I've tried to not have those thoughts but they do creep into my mind and consume me. And just like Kathi stated above when I see certain things on my husband like his nails if they are long my mind races and thoughts spin.. Same with leg shaving.. He does it but knows it makes me sad cause I have told him. But if he still does it why do I have to keep telling him? So I suck it up and don't say anything and it's eating away at me. I don't see the point of each time he does it having to explain again how it turns me off and the feel of it kinda creeps me out. So like a good wife I suck it up and sacrifice something that saddens me to give him what he wants. I just deal.. Even though I go through very depressing times where I wish he could see and feel all the pain and sadness that are behind my eyes.. I'm not good at talking and when I try I don't like to hurt his feelings or make him upset. So at times I would rather just not be the one to bring it up. He's a good husband and has provided for me and our kids since he was 18. I love him and there are just things in life that sometimes you gotta live with no matter how much you dislike or font agree with it.
    I love the fact that my husband can piss me off and make me laugh within seconds of each other!
    I can handle being alone, but doesn't want to be married and feeling alone.
    The only reason the grass looks greener on the other side is because you don't have to mow that lawn.
    Husbands are like children, they behave best when they are sleeping.
    It's always nice when your husband just looks at you and tells you out of the blue, "You are Beautiful"

I told my wife when we were first dating at first she did acceppt it but as time went on and i wanted more she fought against the cding .I went to shrinks dr's even rehab ??????????lol she thought it could be cured and i was letting it take my life over .The point is yes i do think she felt trapped .5 years later we both do love each other and as i told her we split because we had to not because we wanted to !.We were both suffercating from the big pink ugly elephant always being in the room.She agreed
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Hi Ginger,
    I want to talk about it far more than my husband and yes I repeat myself often, not because I don't believe the first answer but more because I'm curious.
    I think it is the cds duty to ask if the wife has any questions rather than make her wonder or be the one to always have to bring it up.

Presh GG

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea_GG View Post
    I think GG's in general will take on a lot more and be willing to give up a lot more to make a spouse happy other then a GM and we are less selfish and tend to put others first before our own needs and feelings.
    Sweetpea, I agree. Women are just better than men in this way and I think it is perfectly reasonable to generalize this point. The interesting part of this, for me, is that in my case, my wife never thinks abut my crossdressing. I asked her why and she says that it does not affect her. She has no issue with my dressing or the need to go out and I make sure that Jennifer never trumps her in time, attention, anything. As a result, I am the one always making conversation about crossdressing. And when I asked her this specific question, the answer was "No, of course not. Your crossdressing is such a minor part of you and us, how could it matter." I'll add that she does not understand it and never will (me either).

I would hate to think that my wife feels trapped in our marriage and harbors some sort of resentment towards me after all these years. And I hope she hasn't been misleading me into thinking that she was fine with my cding when she really wasn't.
    But on the other hand I've been blindsided before in life.

The reason for this reply, is that I spent nearly forty years caring for the physical and mental health of women and feel a little protective of them (Not that they can't protect themselves quite well!). There appears to be roughly three categories of wives based on the threads on the forum: those that know nothing of the cross dressing; those that know of it, allow some, but want it to stay hidden, and those that are aware of the crossdressing and may even participate. What is distressing is that some of the spouses of these wives appear to continually push their wives to move to the next category. The spouse just doesn't seem to listen to their wife when they say "No!" They grow long nails or shave or participate in activities that continually throw it in their wives faces, yet manifesting that the wife is the most important person in their life. The old saying, "Actions speak louder that words" is quite true. If the wife is the most important person to you, LISTEN to her. This is not about you as an individual. It is about you and your SO as a team. Before all those flames are thrown at me, I agree that CDing is part of you but maybe for the sake of both of you, it needs to be subjugated to a lesser role so she does not feel trapped and maybe there will be less angst from some of our wives and SO's.
    Laura

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    There is a great deal of empathy shown in this thread and a great deal of sadness.

My mum was a batty old moo for the most part but she said something to me once that I've tried to keep in mind throughout my life and that is:

"you should never take your happiness at the expense of someone else's"

If everyone tried to live by this standard, wouldnt the world be a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    . . . it needs to be subjugated to a lesser role so she does not feel trapped and maybe there will be less angst from some of our wives and SO's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentpartner GG SO View Post
    "you should never take your happiness at the expense of someone else's"
    Both of these quotes cut to the heart of the matter. To appease some of our wives, it doesn't need to be subjugated to a lesser role, it needs to be eliminated entirely! That is the only way they will be happy. My wife would be happy - no, overjoyed - if I were to stop all behavior, throw away all my things, and never even think about crossdressing again. That way I would not be taking my happiness at the expense of hers anymore.

Everybody wins, right?

Right?

Kathi

Platinum Member
    I would hope that the admonition to " never take happiness at someone else's expense" works both ways. Like Kathi, I'm sure that if my wife had a magic wand, she'd make me a conventional male. Maybe not...but she's willing to accept something that other women often find difficult to accept, and I deeply appreciate it.

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    No Kathi that wouldnt be right at all - because you deserve happiness too -- its not a one way street is it - to my mind marriage is all about compromise, consideration and respect and of course love.

From your posts Kathi it seems fairly obvious that you are a very caring and loving person and would go out of your way to minimise the impact your CD'ing has on your wife's happiness. No wife can or should expect their partner to be a martyr to her needs and wants - that would be her taking her happiness at her partner's expense.

IMO discussion has to be the key. Everyone is different and what irritates and upsets one person, another will find perfectly acceptible. Its only by working through things, and trying to come to a status where both parties are happy (or reasonably happy) with the situation that a long term relationship can work. Just because two people get married they dont automatically become one person, thinking alike about every single thing, but hopefully when they got married they realised that there would have to be give and take on both sides, its really a matter of what each party is willing to put into a marriage, rather than what they are prepared to take out.

But that is only my opinion.

Ginger I can't give any advice, only my own experience. First of all every woman is different. Some will never accept it, others have issues with it and a small group of GG's are not threatened by it at all. The fact is we are the same person they married even when dressed. There really isn't a third person even though we name our femme selves. You must explain how you feel, where it's headed (be honest) and talk out boundaries she is comfortable with. Again they are all different.

My coming out talk was not a surprise to her when we had it since I was fully dressed for Halloween this year. I told her I didn't want the night to end, she had seen my excitement each year near Halloween. It was the one day anything went as far as dressing. She knew I underdressed from time to time but wasn't crazy about it (out of sight out of mind). Anyways the next day I explained I could not stop dressing up. I told her I had to do it but did not know why. We had the genetics/biological reasons talk. We had the don't tell the kids talk. We set boundaries for it, no sex with me dressed and don't take it to the bedroom. She realizes this is out of my control and did not ask for it. She realizes this could happen to anybody, just like a homosexual did not choose to like the same sex. I asked if she would disown or stop loving her kids if they were transgendered. That put it in perspective for her.

We are only a few months into this but having fun with it. I would prefer to live 24/7 as female but I limit myself to underdressing and dressing fully a couple times a week for her sanity. She knows I won't transition since I'm getting up there in age and not going to stress my family with this. Anyways, she noticed a huge change in me since the talk. I'm no longer depressed or angry. She likes the new me. We go shopping for clothes and laugh about my new "pretty" word. We talk fashion and other girl stuff. We booked an enfemme vacation for me. So you both can have fun with it and not feel threatened by it.

a bit nutty
    Ok, I've gleaned info from this post (there was soooo much helpful advice) and tried to apply it as best I could.

We talked.
    We forged forward. She knows how I feel, I know how she feels.
    We talked more about the what and why, she understands it a little better.
    We set limits.

I managed to obtain some more info and even some boundaries. She says she's not threatened by it, would rather I did not do it but it's OK if I do. However it seems that the more complete the outfit, the more spooked she is. I will respect her wishes and NOT push her limitations on me. We're in steady ground and as long as I don't force things on her and ease into it, I can dress without her being scared of it.

Even still, I can't help but feel a bit ridiculous when I dress in front of her. But the lack of comfort appears to be mutual for now.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful advice!

Ginger