Thread: Over the counter hormones

Wink Over the counter hormones

Hi everyone, I'm new in here and was just going to ask where can you buy hormones over the counter and what to buy?
    Thank you

There is no such thing, at least not in North America or Europe. I would highly recommend going the "normal route", get a therapist versed in gender issues. They will write you a letter of recommendation for hormone therapy that you can then take to a physician, usually an Endocrinologist. There are other ways to get hormones but I'll let you figure that out all on your lonesome.

Banned Read only
    I'm assuming you mean prescription HRT without a prescription.
    There are some reputable sources online.
    As April says follow the correct path for they are more powerful than what you know.
    Trust me on this.

Julia

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    When I was in Thailand I found you could buy Estro from the pharmacy over the counter. I just doubt your going to go to Thailand to get it.

If you want you can buy the over the counter stuff from the crossdresser stores. Do me a favor though. If you want to go that route get the price they are asking and send me a message because I will guarantee I will gather up some sugar pills and sell them to you for half thier price and the results will be the same. LOL.

Katie

I can safely say that it is a very bad idea to manage your own HRT. In addition to putting your general health on the line the wrong combination of hormones for your body chemistry could have the opposite results and even increase your testosterone levels. This is why you really need to go through a doctor for it.
    Lyric ~

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    I realized this is somewhat off topic but your comment reminded me of something kind of funny. When I was working with trans people I would go to the support group meetings. Often enough the topic of hormones would pop up. What was astounding to observe was the people that would preach the danger of hormones were often the people that were taking the 15 year baby step approach. I might also add they tended to be the people with the "my story is unique" or "I have special issues for taking my time in transition", otherwise put excuses.

They also tended to exhibit some of the following.

1 severely overweight

2 smoker

3 drinker (alcholic sometimes self admitted)

4 into drugs

5 partook in risky sexual behavior (HIV positive sometimes)

Now note I am not saying that all the people that would chime in about the risks of hormones fit into the formentioned catagories but many did.

I will refrain from giving any opinions but will ask you to decide if smoking, severly overweight, ect. ect. are also risky to your health. Come to think of it I will ask you if you think that taking the correct hormone dosages is as dangerous as the formentioned catagories?

Katie

Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    I can safely say that it is a very bad idea to manage your own HRT. In addition to putting your general health on the line the wrong combination of hormones for your body chemistry could have the opposite results and even increase your testosterone levels. This is why you really need to go through a doctor for it.
    Lyric ~
    Last edited by Katesback; 02-23-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    I will refrain from giving any opinions but will ask you to decide if smoking, severly overweight, ect. ect. are also risky to your health. Come to think of it I will ask you if you think that taking the correct hormone dosages is as dangerous as the formentioned catagories?

Katie
    Interesting observation. I'm tempted to say that taking a reasonably informed self-medicating approach is less dangerous, on average, and all things being equal. Thing is, individuals are not averages. The chance of a particular individual having a problem isn't 2.385% (or whatever % of whatever side effect in the approved, peer-reviewed statistical sample set). It's either 100% or 0%, and you have no way of knowing which you are. On an individual basis it's a complete crap shoot. On the other hand, if you are self-medicating AND are an overweight, smoking, AIDS symptomatic alcoholic, you may as well just shoot yourself instead of reaching for the estradiol patch. It will at least eliminate any uncertainty over the timing.

Lea

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine View Post
    Interesting observation. I'm tempted to say that taking a reasonably informed self-medicating approach is less dangerous, on average, and all things being equal. Thing is, individuals are not averages. The chance of a particular individual having a problem isn't 2.385% (or whatever % of whatever side effect in the approved, peer-reviewed statistical sample set). It's either 100% or 0%, and you have no way of knowing which you are. On an individual basis it's a complete crap shoot. On the other hand, if you are self-medicating AND are an overweight, smoking, AIDS symptomatic alcoholic, you may as well just shoot yourself instead of reaching for the estradiol patch. It will at least eliminate any uncertainty over the timing.

Lea
    I wouldn't shoot myself. I'd inject the girly-mones and live life while I could!

Oh wait! That's what I did!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    Now note I am not saying that all the people that would chime in about the risks of hormones fit into the formentioned catagories but many did.
    Lemme think... never smoked, never had more than 2 sips of wine, never even smoked a joint, having trouble remembering which decade I last had any sexual behavior, always wear my seat-belt, can't stand coffee, would rather drink milk than pop. I could stand to lose weight though.

Guess that means I'm allowed to say that hormones can be dangerous, as long no-one pays attention to me.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Lemme think... never smoked, never had more than 2 sips of wine, never even smoked a joint, having trouble remembering which decade I last had any sexual behavior, always wear my seat-belt, can't stand coffee, would rather drink milk than pop. I could stand to lose weight though.

Guess that means I'm allowed to say that hormones can be dangerous, as long no-one pays attention to me.
    Dangerous... I guess... lol :P

But totally worth it!

Hi,

iv been around meds & different types & does rates, for 38 years, & looked after Jos because of health issues, & im not talking about 3 or 4 different ones . plus my own,

So i think i know what im talking about .

In the lomg run it would be very wise to see your G P have a natter then see a Endo & get assessed & do your blood tests & theres a few you need to have done 7 through to 17. depending , & know about plus wether you have unseen health issues that may preclude you from being on hormones, after that the mental state & how you react to those hormones, & is it worth it.

well from experance i know what im saying is right, tho others may not, my point is you do your own medding you pay so expect to take the rapp if it all goes wrong. & not knowing whats in those over the counter no tests done on them & no comeback ether,

my cost for meds is about $ 5 every 3 months, & i have my blood tests every year & know what they mean & i moniter my self as well. so dont discount the best way to go about all of this long term ,

i wish you all the best just be carefull .

...noeleena...

I've tried many so here we go, drum roll please......................

TOP TEN OVER THE COUNTER HORMONES

10 Orvil Reddenbaeuchers 'buttered' popcorn. Definitely feel the cramping.
    9 Fried Chicken. 18, imagine 18 herbs and spices fat accumulation. Try KFC.
    8 Irish Spring. Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.
    7 Doublemint gum. Doubles your pleasure and doubles your fun.
    6 Crest. Brightens each day with a new smile and who can't use one of them?
    5 Tums. Tums are for your tummy.
    4 No-No Epilators. The massage effect on the skin stimulates hormone growth.
    3 Peanut Brittle. Keeps those pearly white's sparkling.
    2 M and M's melt in your mouth, not your hands.
    And the Number 1 best over the counter hormone is SNICKERS!!!!!!! for when you're not quite feeling yourself.