Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife isn't a girly girl, is yours?

My wife isn't a girly girl, is yours?

For those of us who are attached to a female SO, I have a question. Is your wife feminine and girly? Mine isn't. She doesn't paint her nails, and she doesn't wear makeup. When she needed some pantyhose recently to attend a wedding, she asked to borrow some of mine. She really didn't need pantyhose with the dress she wore because it went all the way to her ankles. She would rather wear sweats and an old tee shirt. Dressing up for her is putting on some newer jeans and maybe a button up shirt, but definitely not what I would call feminine. She doesn't own any high heels, nor a skirt and sexy top. So, I told her that someone in the house needs to wear a dress. She got a chuckle out of that. But I wonder, if she was that type of woman, would I still feel a need to dress?

Nope. My wife makes a terrible girl. Can't wear makeup, can't walk in heels, can't match colors, and can barely dress herself if it's not mom jeans and an ugly sweater. In her defense, she was raised in a house where it was appropriate to wear Birkenstocks, and was taught that smart, powerful girls dress like old ladies. It's a shame really, 'cause she's a fine looking woman.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    As our 41 years together began I will say emphatically yes, yes, yes. Over time, with children,and age the girly girl with frills has decreased, but the femininity has not. The short skirts and dresses have been replaced with jeans, slacks, and looser tops. No more heels, but more functional and comfortable. Quick makeup and hair, but still attractively done. No nail polish, but well kept and shaped.

So. girly girl, no. A feminine woman definitely.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

The "My wife isn't girly, so it pushed me to dress" theme is touched on fairly often here. Expect to feel some heat!

The fact is that our CDing is squarely on our own shoulders. Very few women dress to the level of femininity that we like for ourselves nor should they feel obligated to do so. Look around you and you'll find most women are dressed in comfy jeans or leggings and top. I do the same if I'm just going shopping, saving the dresses, skirts, and heels for evenings out.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Nope, mine isn't Alana. She dresses very casual now with little makeup. She is my fashion advisor though.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    **Quote modified**
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    The "My wife isn't girly, so it pushed me to dress" theme is touched on fairly often here. Expect to feel some heat!
    With history, I do agree with you, Eryn, that it may happen. Its unfair and unwarranted as this is one's thought and other's opinion without meaning any negativity.

I don't have an SO to compare this about, but its funny that my coworker (who knows about me) just mentioned of not being very girly after I told her why she liked a new SVU character and my plans to stop at Sam Moon to shop for costume jewelry, etc. She does wear some makeup but does not go beyond the standard work dress code. Other women would go a step above whether heels or cute tops.

Just like men who are most comfortable in jeans (Karren's alter ego ) vs those who do the suit and tie look..takes all types in the world...by the way, if that is your excuse to dress, more power to you
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Banned Read only
    Your wife's femininity is not related to your crossdressing. If she were more feminine, you might have more clothing options, but that's it. The only downside you have is that asking for style advice may be tougher for you.

The lament of many Crossdressers is that women in the functional world, dress as men like to dress: comfortably and as required. I believe many crossdressers, myself included, dress not as average women, but as an ideal vision of a woman. Call it a stereotype if you will. Perhaps the reason is that given the little time we have to dress, typically, we aim for the stars. If I dressed everyday, it would not be in a dress, most likely. The more I dress, the more casual I am trending, however. Kind of an interesting thing really.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 02-25-2012 at 09:40 PM.

It'd be interesting to see how your wife feels about her femininity, and whether she sees herself the sme way you do. I wear skirts fairly often, usually without the heels, makeup and hose (that stuff is more and more rare these days on GGs, TBH.). My nails are usually chipped and unpainted, I haven't plucked my eyebrows in months (I used to be selfconscious about nearly approaching a unibtow, but if you pluck enough the hairs stop growing, how about that?). I love my sweats and my yoga pants, I have some cute tees, but if 'low maintenance' and 'girly' were to meet and procreate that would totally result in me. Am I not allowed to feel Girly because I don't own mascara?

I honestly see girliness as a state of mind, not of body or daily makeup choices.

Banned Read only
    My wife is defiantly a girl, she wears makeup, dresses, nylons, dresses and looks feminine all the time. But I am probably more of a girly girl. She wears basic underwear, the few bras she has are mostly beige or black, same with her panties. I have many more bras and love the colors, my panties are all silky nylon and in a rainbows of colors and patterns. But like she says, she is just not as "into that stuff" as I am.

But beyond the clothes, I am defiantly better at the more traditional feminine jobs. I am a better cook, and am tidier. Don't even get me started on laundry, If I let her do the laundry everything we own would be gray, pink, and shrunk to a size 0.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 02-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Thats what outs us most of all . Im learning now just now not to do that ,, Be to girly I meen ,, Yull fit in way easier yull see 95% of woman dont dress like we do ,,An if ya live in a rural area its worse cuz more redneck chix ,, So think about it ,,, Something to think about ? Mom jeans an a fwem shirt just might be the ticket ya never no .
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Its tragic, that modern society has exchanged classiness, for comfort, wholesale.

Banned Read only
    My wife is definatley very feminine, not girly. She has such a sultry sexy feminine voice, she does her nails, puts on nice smelling perfumes, three closets full of so many nice dressy clothes. Such beautiful eyes that stop men in thier tracks. Hundreds of heels and shoes. Such a lady is she. I'm really glad she is mine.

I think the term femininity begs definition here. It's been my experience that gg's are imbued with a natural femininity which is quite irrespective of the clothes they wear or the amount of makeup they use.
    Actually, it is typically cders who have to work hard in order to achieve an appearance which is somewhat feminine, whereas gg's have it without even trying.
    And, of course, when gg's do dress elegantly they merely enhance their natural beauty and femininty which is always present.
    There are many reasons I emulate women and believe me, it's not just the clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    I
    I honestly see girliness as a state of mind, not of body or daily makeup choices.
    Yep...it's not a competition because CDers lose to GG's every time. I was not being disrespectful about my wife. She is gifted in the fact that she doesn't even really need makeup. Women are feminine without any work.
    Last edited by Marleena; 02-26-2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya C View Post
    I think the term femininity begs definition here. It's been my experience that gg's are imbued with a natural femininity which is quite irrespective of the clothes they wear or the amount of makeup they use.
    Actually, it is typically cders who have to work hard in order to achieve an appearance which is somewhat feminine, whereas gg's have it without even trying.
    And, of course, when gg's do dress elegantly they merely enhance their natural beauty and femininty which is always present.
    There are many reasons I emulate women and believe me, it's not just the clothes.
    I liked your reply Tanya

I'll admit I'm not what the average CDer would call "girly girl". Would I like to be ..yes..

When my husband and I guest started our relationship I wore more skirts dresses makeup did my hair..
    Then along comes child 1 and marriage. Now I am not only trying to take care of myself but now a little child and my husband (who can be the biggest children lol). And a house...So less time to focus on just me. But still enough time.

Along comes child 2... Taking yet more time..then child 3...2 dogs

While I would love to dress up daily over the years and have the best fashions and do my hair I never saw the point if I was cleaning house all day and caring for my children and changing diapers. So out came the jeans/swears and tshirts and ponytails.

But if you look hard enough under the sweats and jeans etc is the beautiful woman in your life who is by your side. And it should not matter what appears on the outside. Every woman wants to be treated like a princess no matter if she looks like a tomboy or not..
    I love the fact that my husband can piss me off and make me laugh within seconds of each other!
    I can handle being alone, but doesn't want to be married and feeling alone.
    The only reason the grass looks greener on the other side is because you don't have to mow that lawn.
    Husbands are like children, they behave best when they are sleeping.
    It's always nice when your husband just looks at you and tells you out of the blue, "You are Beautiful"

I live with 2 adult women... Neither one wears make up, or do their nails. Karen wears heels on occasion, but Holly never does. I own more feminine clothes than both of them combined, and my collection is relatively small.

MY x wife did like to dress up and was very pretty and thin .But the sad thing is my cding forced her away from her feminity she told me she was afraid if she bought a new skirt or dress i would be all over it .Not true i left her stuff alone i had my own which she knew about and kept locked away (a compromise ) .To this day i feel bad this is not what i wanted and i would of still dressed wheather she dressed drabby or not it was going to happen with me
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Hi,

Depends on how you see beauty,

Jos is 60 had our three children who are in thier 30's. we had lots of animales & did lots of things, & Jos keeped house,

Today , some times skirts & different tops tho wear's jeans alot to day she did, as we were out , make up much of her life very little make up till i did , so now wears more tho its nice she has lines & Tells me about that & that i have better skin very few lines than her.
    im 64
    Shes a lovely woman who has had & still has health issues, & that is telling more so over the last 6 years, youth has gone yet still is very much a femm girl = woman.

...noeleena...

Miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by Ally 2112 View Post
    MY x wife did like to dress up and was very pretty and thin .But the sad thing is my cding forced her away from her feminity she told me she was afraid if she bought a new skirt or dress i would be all over it .Not true i left her stuff alone i had my own which she knew about and kept locked away (a compromise ) .To this day i feel bad this is not what i wanted and i would of still dressed wheather she dressed drabby or not it was going to happen with me
    We need to accept responsibility for our choice to dress in atypically girly fashions as being independent of our SO's choices, as many have written here already. Conversely, it's quite unfair for your spouse to put the blame on you for her choice of style. Sounds to me as though she was just looking for a way to strike at you in her disapproval of your choice. There's no reason for you to take on the burden from such a self-serving statement.

Miriam

When i met my wife she would wear skirts at least 5 time's a week and never with out pantyhose and on Sunday's she would go all out. Now 25yrs. later she hasn't wore a skirt as far as i can remember and for a girl who would own 10 to 20 pair of pantyhose at a time now if she doe's need a pair she will ask me for them. Even though she doesn't wear skirts she is still a girly girl she gets her nails done and she always has that fem touch when she dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya C View Post
    Wonderfully said.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea_GG View Post
    I liked your reply Tanya

I'll admit I'm not what the average CDer would call "girly girl". Would I like to be ..yes..

When my husband and I guest started our relationship I wore more skirts dresses makeup did my hair..
    Then along comes child 1 and marriage. Now I am not only trying to take care of myself but now a little child and my husband (who can be the biggest children lol). And a house...So less time to focus on just me. But still enough time.

Along comes child 2... Taking yet more time..then child 3...2 dogs

While I would love to dress up daily over the years and have the best fashions and do my hair I never saw the point if I was cleaning house all day and caring for my children and changing diapers. So out came the jeans/swears and tshirts and ponytails.

But if you look hard enough under the sweats and jeans etc is the beautiful woman in your life who is by your side. And it should not matter what appears on the outside. Every woman wants to be treated like a princess no matter if she looks like a tomboy or not..
    Beautifully replied.

A woman's femininity is not defined by how she presents herself to the world, simple as that. They have scoreboard over those of us in TG land without even trying.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Like others have commented, feminine, but not girly. She is all woman, from her thinking, to the way she acts, but not girly. I have a better lingerie collection than she does, she has a practicle side that can drive me nuts sometimes, especially in the clothing area.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    My wife is feminine but not girlie. She has me do her nails. I also noticed she comes to me for fashion advice. She has a tendency to wear dark baggy sweaters which I try to discourage.

Banned Read only
    My SO is a lesbian woman and is a soft butch.

The answer to your question would be no.

Julia

My wife doesn't know but I can tell you that I dress her. She has always looked to me on her hair, clothes, make up, etc. I've always liked helping her look good and she has always thought I had better taste and thoughts on style for her. Little does she know but we have a lot of the sames clothes, jewelry etc.!