Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deodorant Conversations

Deodorant Conversations

I meant to write about this last night, and then I got distracted. I spent the weekend at my mom's house. However, when packing my travel bag, I forgot a very important item...deodorant.

I stopped by the local Walmart on my way to pick some up.

There was a guy in the women's deodorant section. Normally, I wouldn't even think anything about it...but, now, I am convinced that everyone is a CD.

Anyway, I am slightly frustrated because I don't see the Lady Speedstick. So, I fold my arms and stand for a second, frustrated that I might have to buy something else. I finally found it! Man was still there staring at the deodorant. I eye him for a second as I pick up my deodorant.

He finally breaks the silence, "So, is Lady Speedstick any good?"

Me: I mean, I've worn it since middle school. I don't really know if it's the best...I don't run deodorant trials. But, I have changed to other brands...and, I always go back to this.
    Man: What scent is that?
    Me: Shower fresh
    Man: Is that a good scent?
    Me: I mean...you basically have your powder scents, your floral scents, and your fruity scents. The fruit and floral scents smell like cheap perfume to me. So, I choose shower fresh, which smells like baby powder.

The man nods meaningfully and then picks up the same deodorant as me.

Man: Thanks for the help!
    Me: No problem...err...good luck with...you know...not sweating.

I kicked myself for a minute for being socially awkward at ending conversations. Then, I and wanted to text my SO, "OMG I THINK I SAW A CD IN THE WILD!"

But, my phone was dead. We don't know any CDs in our area...and, this guy was quite a bit older than us. I wondered if he was on this forum. Then, I figured it was probably a guy just buying D.O. for his wife. But, usually when guys are in the tampon department or makeup department, they declare loudly to me, "THIS ISN'T FOR ME! THIS IS FOR MY GIRLFRIEND/WIFE!" I always find this pretty funny.

So, anyway, I just thought I'd share this story with you all. And, if by some weird chance this guy is a CD and is on this site....howdy.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Funny. I guess it was his first time. I pick up my deodorant where it's on sale and have never asked someone if it's good. I usually buy powder fresh.

I use Lady Speed Stick Shower Fresh also. I love the smell of it.
    Danielle

Miriam
    Somewhere around age 30 it finally occurred to me: They don't have any idea whether I'm buying for myself or for my wife.
    Later on it occurred to me: They don't have any idea if I even have a wife.

My wife tells me that this won't work for some things, like bras, that a woman would only buy for herself.

A little perspective makes a lot of things easier.

Miriam

To funny "in the wild",did you notify the nearest ranger station?On another note I always ask the women in the isles for help,some ignore and leave quickly but most are vrey helpful.And we (cders)are taking over very slowly so that women don't relize it.

Lisa.
    Last edited by Allisa; 02-26-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by marym View Post
    Somewhere around age 30 it finally occurred to me: They don't have any idea whether I'm buying for myself or for my wife.

My wife tells me that this won't work for some things, like bras, that a woman would only buy for herself.

Miriam
    Haha this is totally true. I never even really thought about it until I started dating a TG person. My SO and I were buying makeup one day....5 hours later, I said, "Wait a minute...there was a man buying foundation!" My SO said, "That was totally random, but yeah...I was going to say something to you, but then I forgot about it."

Before I started dating him, I always just assumed the men were buying it for someone else. But, I always enjoyed the loud declarations in the tampon or makeup sections, "THIS ISN'T FOR ME! THIS IS FOR MY GIRLFRIEND!" This guy didn't say any of those things, and didn't correct me when I told him good luck with this particular brand of D.O. Hopefully, if this was his first feminine purchase, it encouraged him to see that it's not a huge deal and no one really cares. ...Well, except for me because I guess I unknowingly play "spot the CD in the wild" now. I think it's more fun because I'm in Alabama...and, I am also from a town where everyone knows everyone's business. I carry this mentality now wherever I go...my mother always told me to mind my own business, but I never learned.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 02-26-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    I am also from a town where everyone knows everyone's business. I carry this mentality now wherever I go...my mother always told me to mind my own business, but I never learned.
    One of my lessons from growing up in rural Iowa is that "small town" and "mind your own business" are polar opposites. I don't know how anyone could be brave enough to be a CD in one. My compliments to you.

Miriam

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into this, Shananigans...

I've been using women's unscented deodorant for years ("Secret"), and it has nothing to do with my crossdressing. I have very sensitive skin - especially in the "pits" area, and no matter what men's deodorant or anti-perspirant I have tried in the past, they always make me break out in a rash. Women's deodorants seem to be far milder in that respect.

And as for the flip side of your feminine hygiene products story, on more than one occasion, I have had GG's offer to help me while I was standing in front of a rack of pantyhose trying to make my selection while I was in drab. They obviously think that I am some typical clueless, doofus male whose SO has sent him out on this errand, and that they are providing a great public service by taking me under their wing and leading me out of this proverbial wilderness (all the while relishing their female "superiority" in their knowledge of this subject).

I usually play dumb so as not to freak them out and let them help me, all the while chuckling inside over the fact that I probably wear pantyhose far more than they do, and am probably also far more knowledgeable about the various brands and styles out there and what works best for me.
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 02-26-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    ...the women's deodorant section....
    They have such a thing? Certain products are marketed to genders but I don't recall seeing segregated women's and men's deodorant sections. The product I currently use (Dove go fresh Revive) rather studiously avoids mentioning gender on the label or marketing. In fact the only gender-labeled products in their entire line are those that come in macho black containers for insecure men.

As far as the scent, the fellow hopefully had a nose, so he could have sniffed it for himself! It's possible that he was also checking you out and is all excited about sighting a "accepting GG"

We are certainly an odd society, aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    I usually play dumb so as not to freak them out and let them help me
    Wow, you really have feminine behavior down! I hear about GGs doing that with men all the time!
    Last edited by Eryn; 02-26-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: To avoid double post
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I have been using Secret since last spring and it works better than any of the men’s deodorants that I have been using for years – some of which resulted in rashes. I happen to like Yardley’s English Lavender soap when I shower, only I have a difficult time finding it locally, and decided to try Secret Deodorant with a lavender scent; I have also use the pear scent when I couldn’t find lavender. I’ve been a fan of Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal After-Shave Lotion, especially in the summer and find Lavender and Lilac very similar. The Secret scent is very light and no one has ever commented.

I also switched from Gillette Fusion shaving gel to Skintimate after I ran out and tried some of my Daughter’s shaving gel and finding that the Gillette product cost roughly two-and-a-half times as much. The Skintimate has the added bonus of not clogging up the razor (between the blades) as much.
    Babs

I am pass the point of caring. there has been times that i have purchased items for my three teenage daughters, so now noone thinks about what i am purchasing, I will purchase anything female that i need to pickup for me or them. The one funny time was a a second hand store and my oldest found a prom dress, i was standing in line to purchase it, and had many coments about it was not my color or size, women had a lot of fun on me that day. Then my daughter came back with more clothes. The ladys just laugh.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

It's like the old commercial say's strong enuff for a man but made for a woman all I use is secret it works better than any deoderant Iv'e ever used, and Iv'e also heard that shaving you're pits helps with body odor and since doing so Iv'e good had good result's, and one time I used my old deoderant and it stings so only use secret usually a powder scent but have more floral one for being girly.

I was thinking about deodorant today and after reading this thread my questions have been answered. Its funny how a personal story about buying deodorant and possibly spotting a fellow cd could be so helpful.

I also wont feel so self conscious when i go buy deoderant. In the past when buying hair care products i felt akward buying shampoo since my hair is long past shoulder length.

Thank you girls.

One of my lessons from growing up in rural Iowa is that "small town" and "mind your own business" are polar opposites. I don't know how anyone could be brave enough to be a CD in one. My compliments to you.

Miriam
    Lots of hiding and fear. Trust me, it is hard.

Anna

if I was in that situation and a girl said to me "I don't run deodorant trials" I'd mega-LOL and instantly ask her out for dinner. <3

I look for CDs everywhere too... one day I was shopping (drab mode) and noticed that there was just me and another younger guy in the lingerie section of a dept. store. I had a hard time not giggling (or opening my arms and saying "hugs sis!!!1!").

loved the story. thanks for the laugh ^ ^
    [SIZE="1"]It is fatal to be a man or woman pure and simple: one must be a woman manly, or a man womanly. — Virginia Woolf[/SIZE]

Miriam
    So true! I once went to a Macy's in Santa Rosa to get some lingerie "for my wife". They SOOOOOOO saw right through me! But, the SA was so sweet! I wanted stockings that needed a garter, she told me they didn't carry them, but when I bought the things I was getting there, she took me BY THE HAND down the mall to the Fredrick's of Hollywood store and handed me off to their staff. The Macy's SA explained that I needed some hose "for my wife", wished me luck and said she thought I was sweet. The women at Frederick's flat out told me they didn't care if it was for my wife or for me, they sell to all genders and orientations. That freaked me out more than anything, I KNEW they had read me. Still, they were nice.

There are some other things men are simply NOT supposed to buy. I'm a dad, I have a young daughter. Try as a 30-something man to walk alone into the girl's panty section of a department store and see what kind of stares you get, you are assumed to be a pervert until proven otherwise. Yet a woman can go buy boys underwear and it is OK and expected. Double standards stink!

Anna

That's an awesome story I especially liked the "out in the wild" part also lol Lately when I am out shopping, I find myself more aware of my surroundings to see who's buying what just for that very reason. Haven't seen any yet but wouldn't know what to do if I did. I'd love to talk to another CD'er if I came across one but don't think it would be right.

As for the deodorant, I still use my men's right guard in cool wave. I like the smell of it and have never even thought about a woman's brand until I saw this post
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Miriam
    I buy bras for my wife, usually if I'm traveling and stop at an outlet store.

Before she knew that I crossdressed, my wife would buy me underware. What's the difference between a woman buying underware for her husband or a man buying underware for his wife?
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Ok, I am relieved about this post I thought the forum was starting its own version of the vagina monologues. carry on ladies, and keep smelling good.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation I shop for antiperspirants and deoderants at the 99 cents store using my nose.

They occasionally stock Lady Speed Stick and Shower Fresh is the LEAST offensive smelling of all. Cheap, strong, perfumes and colognes make me gag and sneeze!

A doctor in the family warned us years ago that the aluminum zirconium in antiperspirants is a poison!

So, I switched back then to deodorants for use daily. But, they're not as effective as antiperspirants and Sherry likes to be DRY!

You've got great taste Shana!

As an interesting side note:
    I often have to move or even leave cafes when I'm eating lunch because someone who just bathed in Oue de Smell of Death comes in.

At 3 SCCs and one DLV, I've NEVER found a CD/TG/TS similarly coated in cheap, stinky stuff!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I think I have used women's deodorant for probably 60 years, or more! But my late wife and I never could agree on the fragerance. She liked the flowery ones and I don't care for those. Baby powder smell is fine, or the plainer ones. And a word of advice to CD's buying anything feminine. If you act like you know what you are doing you will have no problems!! If you act scared, or very unsure of yourself you will definitely have some problems!! I have been buying ladies things of virtually all types, for both myself and for my late wife for over 60 years, and have never had a problem in any store. And I shopped in stores all over the world. Sores in big cities and little towns. As I said, it is all in how you act!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

H-m-m-m, Well Shan as Hunter the detective used to say on TV: "Works for me!" (all of it).
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Silver Member
    I've also used women's deodorants all my life, either unscented or powder-scented. I've never been attracted by the idea of smelling like some tropical hardwood, lime, and musky animal combination that, for reasons that elude me, dominate men's products.

Lea

Silver Member

Miriam
    I am living proof that a guy buying a bra for his wife does occur in nature. She has asked me to do this many times. She isn't in on Sara's exploits and if she was she would not encourage them. My wife hates to shop for clothes. When she does she buys a few of each thing and tries them on at home. Just as easy for me to grab a few in her size and let her try them at home. She even asked me to get her a swimsuit (I bought two and she loved one of them).

Platinum Member
    I have never encountered a CD in drab (in the wild), but once, while grocery shopping en drab some months ago I happened to see a fellow traveler in the produce section - or at least I took this person as a CDr. He was dressed nicely and blended in pretty well, except for being painfully thin and frail, and being taller than me (6'2") I thought of saying "hi" but figured she would rather not be told that she'd been read.

On a somewhat related matter, some years ago I was picking up stockings at the Macy's hosiery department and the clerk complimented me, saying "most men wouldn't know which nylons their wives want". I responded "I suppose not" and left it at that. She probably knew better, but who cares.