Thread: Educating the kids about being trangendered at the school level.

Educating the kids about being trangendered at the school level.

This weekend our transphobic city presented a play about being transgendered at a local theater. If ever a city needed it this one did. It was advertised to the public and high school systems. The play had actual transgender kids as the actors. It was used to show the pain and suffering these kids go through in daily life. I hope to see more of this type of thing going on to help the transgendered kids with their lives. You can help gain acceptance through education.

Miriam
    That's very cool. Very sadly, I can't imagine the local theater every considering such a show at this time in this very conservative area. What's the name of the play, and who's the playwright? Is it available to other communities?

Miriam

Quote Originally Posted by marym View Post
    That's very cool. Very sadly, I can't imagine the local theater every considering such a show at this time in this very conservative area. What's the name of the play, and who's the playwright? Is it available to other communities?

Miriam
    I have not details yet Miriam other than what my wife told me. It sounds like a local production by the kids themselves. There was a one hour radio talk show here promoting it too. All of the call ins were positive in nature.

I hear there is a tragic ending that hits home. I assume one of the transgendered kids commits suicide after all of the bullying. I will update when I find out more.

well lets hope for the best - not like someone I know.. "child was asked to leave home far before he/she was ready, only to find a frightening world full of hate and greed"

Marleena,
    In many parts of the USA something like that would be viewed as forcing ransgenderism down the children's throat.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    If this was instituted as a mandatory part of a school's curriculum, it could logically be viewed as such, MsArlene. As it seems this was done by the kids at a local theater, phobic comments like that made by the neanderthals out there would be pure bull shit, and of little value. These kids are to be congratulated, and parents are to be encouraged to have their children attend events such as this, for the betterment of all.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Babes I agree., but IMO so many Americans are living in The Dark Ages.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Wouldn't it be great if someone took the show on the road so school kids from the U.S. and Canada would get a better understanding of those in transition?
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Quote Originally Posted by Jilmac View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if someone took the show on the road so school kids from the U.S. and Canada would get a better understanding of those in transition?
    That would be awesome! So far it just looks like a local play.

See, this is just one of he many reasons I love Canada! Now if you guys could just do something about all the cold and snow !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JessHaust View Post
    See, this is just one of he many reasons I love Canada! Now if you guys could just do something about all the cold and snow !
    Well you could help there Jess, just send us some of your warm weather.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more with you MsArlene. parents don't give a good damn about their kids or society. At times I think the judicial system should mandate public service where it is to attend educational events such as this for every ticket written. Frustrating.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    Marleena,
    In many parts of the USA something like that would be viewed as forcing ransgenderism down the children's throat.
    I hope this is a sign of things to come Arlene. Upon further talking with my wife this play was also open to the general public on the weekend. So I missed out. Grrr..

Quote Originally Posted by JessHaust View Post
    ya sure... Did you know Huston Texas has a great chance of snow Christmas Day then Calgary, Alberta? It's true !!

Here's more info on the play. It is based on a true story of a homophobic hate crime: Thousands of Essex County students are taking part in workshops about homophobic hate crimes yesterday and today in what is being called a historic collaboration between Windsor Pride Community and Windsor Police Service.

Chris Rabideau, project director for Interrogation, an original play based on actual reports of hate crimes in Windsor and area, said the subject is close to home.

Rabideau was the victim of a homophobic attack on Ouellette Avenue in May 2010.

The beating and robbery, which left him unconscious, was caught on a security camera and led to convictions and 36-month sentences for Stephen Lambert and Michael Allard.

"The process of bringing this play and workshop together has been cathartic for me," said Rabideau.

Interrogation is a one-act play which traces an anti-gay hate crime through the police investigation and the trial.

In January 2011, Windsor Police Service was the first agency in Canada to adopt mandatory awareness programs in homophobic violence.

The genesis for Interrogation goes back to last summer when testimonials by hate crime victims were recorded and developed into a play. Windsor Pride then received a $50,000 grant from the Safer and Vital Communities program of the provincial ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services to present it to schools.

Marleena,
    Thank you for the up date.

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

You're welcome Arlene! It is awareness for the kids, that being different is not a reason to be bullied. It will also show that hate crimes against TG people do not go unpunished. I'm not sure if they dealt with TS/CD issues too.

Miriam
    Marleena,

Thanks for the update. Based on that I found the following articles on the web:
    http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/03...nd-homophobia/
    http://www.windsorpride.com/Content/interrogation.html

Miriam

Quote Originally Posted by marym View Post
    Marleena,

Thanks for the update. Based on that I found the following articles on the web:
    http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/03...nd-homophobia/
    http://www.windsorpride.com/Content/interrogation.html

Miriam
    Nice.. thanks Miriam.

Radio podcast

Here is a podcast of the radio show you can listen to about the play, bullying in schools here. How being proactive can help. What steps are being taken to educate the public, etc. All LGBT issues.

http://www.am800cklw.com/news_audio_...301 110704.mp3

You can use the slider on the player to skip the commercials.
    Last edited by Marleena; 03-07-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: fixed link