Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: discrimination at starbucks

discrimination at starbucks

Thursday evening my husband and I stopped in for coffee and a treat at a Seattle starbucks located inside an all night Safeway grocery.[ I write this last part to show we would not be keeping her from going home.]
    It was 7:20, good , 10 minutes till starbucks closeing and only one couple ahead of us and they had already ordered.
    Both my husband and I noticed the furtive looks by both the young [ GG ] barista and the other couple. The baresta suddenly decided to tell the couple her life story, anything to keep them there while the clock ticked and we patiently waited our turn.
    I knew what was happening but I couldn't believe it.
    The barista then informed us she was closed. Tecnically yes she was, it was now 7:32, as I pointed out to her we had been standing there for over 10 minutes [ as if she didn't know ] . No, we were refused service.
    I noticed security watching us, and didn't give a darn.

The rest of the night was ruined for me, all I felt was awful inside.

I called starbucks headquarters with the details Friday morning. The customer service rep. was very nice [ good training ]. Here it is Monday, where's that call back ?

I can deal with the "looks", and all the rest , but this was discrimination, and it is ugly.

Thanks for listening,
    Presh GG
    Last edited by Presh GG; 03-06-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling error

Presh, Is it safe for me to assume your husband was in fem mode and that's why you got the looks and lack of service? I'm sorry this happened to you.
    Being treated this way is not fun under any circumstances. This is an example of why I will not go out in public dressed. I know many can deal with being read and having something like this happen. I can't. I'd be embarrassed, hurt, mad and for me it's not worth it. I wish I was different and couild deal with it like you did.

Most stores will wait on customers who are in the physical confines of the store prior to closing. That is what they get paid for. When I worked retail we often stayed late just for "lookers" who had walked in 1-2 minutes before the doors were closed. I certainly hope that a certain barista will be job hunting this week. (PS Starbucks I am sure has security cameras with time stamps so it should not be hard to prove you were there before closing)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I can't really say if it was truly discrimination from not being there myself (although it does), but it amazes me that the girl would go through so much trouble to avoid helping you two. I usually only takes like two minutes max to make a order. Instead, she wasted eight more minutes being a b****. The math here is all wrong. You should find a busy time when the girl is working again, set a timer for 10 minutes, and ask her a question about everything on their menu. What's in it...etc. When the timer goes off. just leave without buying anything. also spend the last two minutes explaining why you were holding the line up to other customers....or better yet, have your husband come in with a clipboard and tie and say he's quality assurance from regional or something and there were a few complaints about a barista matching her description.
    The meaning of life is to win the human race, or maybe, it's just finding the perfect shoes.

The Starbucks in Safeways and other stores are franchise operations and not directly controlled by the Starbucks company. Call the Safeway store manager and complain. I am sure that the companies involved both have strong anti-discrimination policies.

Presh: I am really sorry to hear this. I myself have been to a Starbucks inside a Safeway in two places in Washington State (Shoreline and Vancouver) in drab so I have an idea of what their service level should be.
    Unfortunately, this illustrates something that I have pointed out to others on this board before..... Even though companies like Starbucks and Safeway have friendly policies towards the LGBT community and even though Seattle is a fairly friendly area it all comes down to individual employees. Sadly it is hard to get the corporate entity to make individual employees confirm to their policies.
    FWIW, there was an instance at a Safeway in Washington, D.C. where a cashier used anti-gay slurs against a gay couple while checking out and the employee was fired.
    Your best bet is to contact both Starbucks and Safeway to report the incident and hopefully they will take some action.

Brandy , yes, Tea was en femm. But does that mean we don't get respect ? It shouldn't.

Tall drink of water.. yes , Tea said the same thing [ about returning ], but this is a long way from home. May I ask what you mean " the math is all wrong ? We stood in line from 7:20 until 7:32. No one behind us and the couple ahead had already ordered.

I did call starbucks and reported the "incident " All I asked is they retrain their staff.

I just sent a e-mail to Starbucks to complain about discrimination. I included a link to this page. We are customers too.

Everyone needs to do the same.

That is wrong by any staff. They need to rethink working in public.
    Last edited by Diane Lynn; 03-05-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added comment

Even though it's a franchise that does not excuse them. Corporate Headquarters enforces policies for all franchises. If you were in line you should have been served, simple as that. I hope you get some results as I find their attitude disgusting.

Further to what 'Vanessa Storrs' is saying. I would suggest calling the store you were in, as they would have the best control as to hold their guest/customers are treated. - best of luck... Discrimination of any sort anywhere is conducted only by ignorant people.

Follow your dream.
    While it is VERY likely the server was discriminating, you have very little evidence or proof. I doubt any action will be taken. It will be called a "misunderstanding"
    Sad but true.

Before we decide to start calling this "discrimination" it would be best to decide if the lack of service was due to an employee perception that the customer was a CDer or was simply a result of the employees' desire to end their workday.

While I think that the behavior of the employees was rude, I don't like to see the "discrimination card" played unless there was actual discrimination due to the minority status of the customer.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Didn't happen to me in a Starbucks but I've had that happen to me at a bank drive up window. I wasn't en femme when I got there about 15 minutes before closing time on a Saturday morning but I was in line. The people in front of me both had very long transactions. When it was my turn I was rudely told "Tough, come back Monday". The woman I was working for at the time when told what happened went to that bank on Monday and told them why she was taking out over $400,000 out of her different accounts. I never saw that teller again. There was a TG element to this story but thats for perhaps another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    Even though it's a franchise that does not excuse them. Corporate Headquarters enforces policies for all franchises. If you were in line you should have been served, simple as that. I hope you get some results as I find their attitude disgusting.
    Starbucks is not a franchise, they are corporate owned. And they got a 90 on the HRC CEI, which means they are LGBT aware, if nothing else.

I'd redirect the complaint to their EO department or whoever heads their Starbucks Pride Alliance Partner Network. They would really like to hear about this.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Whether it was trans discrimination or not, that's horrible, horrible customer service and it should be grounds for at least a suspension and probation for the customer. Starbucks especially is a company that prides itself on customer service, so this is a pretty big violation. The reason you may not have received a response yet is because no one was in the corporate office over the weekend and now they are putting in an actual review of the situation.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Just another reason I won't go to Starbucks !!! Sorry they treated you like that . I just can't see spending that much for a cup of coffee and It's not that good anyway !!

PRESH, what i was saying about the math being wrong is that it doesn't make sense/save any time, to avoid helping you two for so long. Even if they had an issue. Would've been way less hassle to just do their job. Psshhff...and to think I'm having a hard time finding work where others are so bad at what they do.
    The meaning of life is to win the human race, or maybe, it's just finding the perfect shoes.

Presh,

I am VERY sorry that this happened to you and Tea! It IS a real bummer, but as others have said, is it discrimination? (Don't get me wrong - it could be. I wasn't there.) Starbucks is the McDonalds of coffee. The ones in the supermarket are not their flagship operations. Did you just get a crappy employee that would have treated ANY customer that way at closing time?
    Debby

Yes, you would have a hard time proving discrimination, BUT it's obviously A Case of Piss-Poor Customer Service, and it ought to cost her The Job. If you had noticed, I'll just bet there was a pimply boyfriend hanging around in The Parking Lot, or just outside the entrance!

Very minimum, you should get an apology from The Manager, and a week's worth of Latte's! There is no point putting up with this kind of garbage. Customer may not always be right....but he or she is always The Customer. I had a similar incident of very poor customer service at Save-A-Lot. To their credit, upper management called me back, reviewed The Security Tape, and several people got "dehired!"

Our little Miss wants to be lazy, or "cop an attitude," she can do so at home, and make life miserable for Mom and Dad. They should have to learn how to deal with their own problems....you shouldn't have to be subjected to it!

Peace and Love, Joanie

PS: I was clueless about The Word "baresta." Per Google, it's Ukranian for coffeemaker? Don't use that term when you talk to Management, that's way too clever for The Starbucks People! Further note: Oh wait! Went further and apparently "Barista" is Italian for Bartender, but can also mean someone who prepares coffee.....learning all the time!
    Last edited by sterling12; 03-05-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Gold Member
    It probably had nothing to do with Tea being TG.
    What it did have to do with was she wanted to get out of there. Last-minute shoppers are annoying. Thing she might have worried about was a line forming at 7:20 and have to deal with a bunch more customers, have to re-clean a bunch of stuff etc...
    So the delay was just for that reason. Cashiers could care less what the customer looks like. she probably sees TG often.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I'd say turn around is fair play.

Go back to the store with at least an hour or two before closing and make sure that the same attendent is there at the order taking location. "Hi, I'd like a ....oh I just can't make up my mind, could you help me? Ya' know, I'm not sure, what exactly does that one taste like? Could you describe in detail the other offerings that you have...." after about 10 minutes of hemming and hawing... "oh just forget it, I'm not thirsty anyway" and walk out. Do that every day for a few days and maybe they'll get the point.....

Renne.....

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    It is a shame that this happened to you two. It must be reported to Starbucks, because regardless of whether this was discrimination, or just poor service, this employee deserves scrutiny from upper management, not the management at the store, as that also may be part of the problem. Corporate will have records if this store has been reported on prior to your incident. This is totally unacceptable from all viewpoints.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Aspiring Member
    I'm a California lawyer, and this is definitely a civil rights violation here. I've done some online digging, and it appears that under Washington law that barista violated Tea's civil rights. Restaurants, coffeeshops, grocery stores and the like are all public accommodations, and it's illegal to discriminate in public accommodations by refusing service or 86-ing you from the place for any of the enumerated conditions in the statute. Washington statutes include that state's civil rights law in RCW 49.60. Specifically, RCW 49.60.030 declares that discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sexual orientation is illegal, and RCW 49.60.040 (26) broadly defines sexual orientation to include virtually every variant on gender identity and expression.

In other words, if Tea was expressing gender by being crossdressed at the time, she is a protected actor under the statute. If she was perceived as being male but presenting as female, or anything in between, that's "perceived gender".

The upshot is that Starbucks would, under such a statute, be civilly liable in a claim under the statute. The barista would be as well, of course, but she's just an agent of her employer, and, unless the employer could show that she was violating clear company policy on what the law sometimes terms a "frolic", the company is on the hook too.

At the very least, keep the pressure up on this particular outlet and with corporate. Assert that you consider it to be a rights violation under the law. Consult an attorney if you feel strongly about it. The only way these practices are ended is if aggrieved parties speak up and don't take being ignored or patted on the head for an answer. This is a human rights issue, and the little twit behind the counter should join the ranks of the unemployed for something like this. If she's not mature enough to know and obey the law, she's not mature enough to work in customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Devine View Post
    While it is VERY likely the server was discriminating, you have very little evidence or proof. I doubt any action will be taken. It will be called a "misunderstanding"
    Sad but true.
    With respect, wrong. Their testimony is all the evidence they need. The facts as described could not be reasonably construed as a misunderstanding. The standard of proof is a preponderance: slightly more likely than not. Ten minutes of stalling and then refusing service is discrimination, plain and simple.

This is what African Americans endured in the South and elsewhere for decades, and making excuses for discrimination doesn't go very far toward ending it.
    Last edited by Nigella; 03-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.

I wnder if they can spell City Brew?

Customer service is about taking care of people. The girl behind the counter should take orders in a timely fashion. She used a stalling tactic which is not ever acceptable behavior. It was done on purpose to avoid serving Presh and Tea. She knew she was taking it past closing time. It was evil in my mind.

You take care of the customers orders first and then talk when you have time to.