Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress

lol Rianna.

I was sorry that I couldn't be there with Nigella, like she has said we have done everything together, hopefully the next appointment I will be able to go to, and as for going to Brighton I certainly will be there with her when she sees the surgeon and also when she has surgery.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Untitled
    Rianna, do you want some guests? LoL

Would love to meet up sometime when we are down that area. Will let you know when.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

This is wonderful news, Nigella! "Bit-free in '12" has a ring to it and I hope it comes to pass as you plan.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    "Bit-free in '12"
    Sounds like the name of a socket set to me
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

Banned Read only
    The Dorset Gardens Methodist Church is weeping in your absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    Time span, around 3 months,

Has time stopped it seems ages since you posted this.....
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

Well still no appointment but Nigella has had letter from Sheffield saying that she is on the waiting list.

Was at Leeds today for 3 month hormone check up, levels are doing nicely and has now gone to 6 monthly appointments, with a bloods done at 3 months and sent to the clinic to make sure everything is going ok.
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

At last 2nd referral November 12th
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

Wow. This sounds like a journey with many interim stops. You guys have incredible patience.

Hello Nigella and Sandra

Congratulations on your progress.

Being across the pond in Canada, I have no opinion or knowledge of the candidate surgeons or anyone else involved in Nigella's transition. That said, you want a surgeon who has done a lot of these procedures with a low complication rate including but not limited to postoperative infection, haemorrhage (medical term for bleeding), and loss of sensual (a loaded term if there was one) feeling at the surgical site. That will maximise the probability of good if not excellent results. I come from a family with four medical doctor members, one of whom was a plastic surgeon and Chief of Surgery at the Toronto General Hospital when he retired.

This generalises to all elective surgical procedures, especially those that carry a high risk of death like open-heart surgery. There usually isn't any choice with emergency surgery.

Well Wednesday night we went to a meeting that we'd been invited to for a meet and greet, with a surgeon who has come back into doing GRS in the North of the country. The night didn't start off to well, we spent over half an hour trying to find parking then ended up paying £6.50 for just over 2 hours bloody day light robbery...and then there was coming home, took a wrong turn and the sat nav sent us all round the houses to the junction we needed only to find it was closed off for road works , so then it was a diversion which added about 3/4 of an hour to our time.

Anyways the meeting was very interesting, the surgeon told us a bit about himself, how long he's been back in doing grs which has been about 18 months and in that time he's done around 10 operations.

He answered a lot of questions and there was no hesitation when he was answering. He also told us that it was the gender clinic that had asked him if he would come back into doing grs as there is no one else in this half of the country. So the clinic must have some faith in him.

If everything is ok after a consultation then the waiting time for surgery is about 3 months.

It looks we are going to go with this surgeon, he was very forth coming with anything that was asked and spoke in lay-mans terms for us all to understand, and of course there is the distance from us and the cost of travelling.

Next stop the 2nd referral in November, which has now been put back a week to the 19th.
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm sorry to read all the transport/parking frustrations but glad that this seems to be moving forward for you.

Each time I get frustrated by a delay, I remember something my manager said to cheer me up when I got depressed by the time to my first GIC appointment and she reminded me "It's already been 54 years coming but at least you have a date now".

Let's hope that the stone this one is set in turns out to be more solid than the last date
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    "It's already been xx years coming but at least you have a date now".

Rianna, we all know that feeling…

Good luck Nigella and Sandra, it seems like a very convoluted process with the NHS. 25 years ago when I first tried to transition it seemed so much easier, just I wasn't ready
    Fixed 4th June 2013

Facebook

Untitled

Talking

If you are interested

Today was Step 2 of 3. 5 months after my first opinon for surgery, the 2nd opinion was completed today. It was a case of repeating all that had been said before, the Dr I saw said she was working blind, no case notes from Leeds. So my life history was told again, not that it really makes interesting reading. We discussed the pitfalls of GRS, medical and mental history. After about an hour she said she had all that she needed and finally asked if we had any questions.

The only one on my mind was would she support the previous diagnosis and support referal for surgery. She went on to explain that it would take a little time to process the paperwork, putting her notes into some sort of order, getting them typed, retyped and then sent to Leeds, but her response to my question was...

[SIZE="5"]YES[/SIZE], at this point I think my emotions broke through and I wept.

I have already contacted the surgeon I would like referring to and asked for an indication of any prerequisites to surgery so I can start things before getting my first consultation.

Time span, who knows but TBH, it is not an issue, it will happen and I can wait.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

That is so good, I'm really pleased for you Nigella!!

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Yay! I'm doing a little happy dance for you both right now!!!!!!!

Yep we're now out of limbo land and can look forward.
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

This is really good news!
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Banned Read only
    Great news! Now start exercising and getting yourself ready for the surgery if you haven't been doing that already.

Congratulations Sandra and Nigella!! I hope everything works out well for you!!

Angela

Congratulations.... Nigella ,and Sandra too! I wish you well and a speedy recovery! You are very patient people.

Leeds have finally got the 2nd review through and have sent a request to the surgeon. Hair removal on genital area started, by using home electrolysis, not a brilliant way but at least it gives us a start and trying to keep the cost down, until we have conformation from the surgeon, then the cost of hair removal will be covered by the PCT.
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

Woo Hoo! You'll soon be on your way!

And if the MPs can get their acts together (a long stretch I know), you may be able to achieve another milestone afterwards and stay married.

I know that Nigella will agree with me that she has a blooming wonderful wife!

[SIZE="5"]
    *DRUM ROLL*
    [/SIZE]

Letter popped through the letter box this morning for Nigella. Appointment made to see Mr Fenton consultant on.........................

[SIZE="6"]
    18th February
    [/SIZE]
    Sandra
    Administrator

R.I.P Rianna

Yay! Congrats to you both!
    Last edited by Sandra; 01-19-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Thank you but no need to quote the whole post