Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What real women wear

Women have tendency to follow or copy the other women, but I think everyone should wear a dress according to his or her figure.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 03-15-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: url deleted

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    I didn't see it mentioned. Women don't wear slips any more unless they're "old", that's what the young women say anyway. Same thing for full briefs, only grannies wear those.
    Slips I agree with you. I think that younger women not only don't wear slips, but actually don't even know what they are.

But full cut briefs? If you look through any lingerie catalogue (One Hanes Place, Just My Size, Women Within, etc., etc.) you always find loads of full cut briefs in both nylon and cotton. Someone must be buying them...and I doubt that it is only "grannies". Personally I have been wearing Bali Skimp Skamp panties for many years now, and they are the most comfortable panty there is...and a full cut brief. Their ads say they are the number one selling stretch panty in the USA...I doubt that they are lying.

If you aren't used to bikini or hip-huggers, they really aren't that comfortable to wear...and the thong panties are just ridiculous...I really don't want anything creeping up that part of my body.
    People who live in glass houses should pull the shades down!!

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    Bottom line is that if you want to see a lot of short, tight dresses and skirts, sky high heels, fashionable legware, dynamite makeup, the latest fashion accessories and beautiful hair, your best bet is to head to a crossdressers Girls Night Out!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!

Quote Originally Posted by Flent View Post
    Certain ethnic women? WTF? Women come in all shapes and sizes, and our natural feminine bodies are not "frequently in disproportion". Don't even get me started on the "victim of the feminist movement" thing…
    Thanks for pointing out that women come in all shapes and sizes. I had completely forgotten about that. I was referring not to all women, but to women whose waist-hip ratio (WHR) approaches 0.47. That is to say, they have tiny waists (and upper bodies) and huge rear-ends and that, in my mind, is disproportionate when the Indo-European ideal WHR for women is 0.7. For men, the ideal is 0.8 to 0.9, and in both cases I'm referring to ideals, obviously many if not most people do not come close to the ideal.

If some women have a huge derriere, that's their business. It is simply remarkable, though, how frequently these women flaunt that huge and disportionate 0.47 WHR bum by wearing skin-tight pants, when they do have the option of minimizing things by wearing looser and presumably more comfortable clothing. Either their men like it that way, they lack fashion sense or they care nothing for their appearance.

Feminism in the view of many has been a mixed societal bag and a debate about its political pros and cons does belong on other sites. That said, it has had an undeniable effect on the way the great majority of women now dress, compared to the way they dressed before 1970.
    Last edited by Jeninus; 03-13-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

That was a very interesting post, Amber. Maybe you need to take your wife to more places than the supermarket and the mall. I've worked in plenty of office buildings where almost all women wore dresses or skirts with heels and makeup every day. It's true that America has become more casual in recent years, but just as a man is never overdressed wearing a suit, a woman is never really out of place wearing a dress, either, I think. Men will always appreciate the woman who goes to the trouble of getting her look together before going out.

This reminds me of something I heard a transgendered woman say on one of those talk shows once. She said a guy came over to her at a coffee shop, struck up a conversation and asked her out on a date. She told him flat out "I'm a guy", to which he replied, "I know, but you've got your act together better than any girl I know".

Lyric

I really think that we are moving towards a uni dressing country.
    Woman dress as men when they do the daily things that we like to do as a woman
    We end up being looked at because we wear womans clothes
    Not much fun wearing jean and a tee shirt with sneakers and short hair
    I have been doing that all my life

I think it's true that some gg's aren't as iconicly girly as they used to be. It probably has to do with the fading of "traditional" gender roles. I agree that jeans and t shirts aren't fun at all. That's why I'm all about the heels and make up because the thrill for me is to be different than my usual persona. And I hope whatever you wear it makes you as happy as sexy.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeninus View Post
    If some women have a huge derriere, that's their business. It is simply remarkable, though, how frequently these women flaunt that huge and disportionate 0.47 WHR bum by wearing skin-tight pants, when they do have the option of minimizing things by wearing looser and presumably more comfortable clothing. Either their men like it that way, they lack fashion sense or they care nothing for their appearance.
    In some cultures (like the black American subculture) large hips and a big behind are considered attractive, much like some cultures favor really big breasts. It is not hard to understand, a woman who is well endowed below can bear the weight of children better and it makes sense from a biological perspective that some men would find that attractive. On a similar note, more and more black women are being diagnosed with eating disorders; traditionally their culture is more tolerant towards women who are large but that is changing, a very sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberDay View Post
    #1. Women don't wear dresses anymore. From what I have noticed, it depends on the location, time of day, and the occasion. Everyday driving through downtown around quitting time, or when I go to church, or even walking their dog through the park, I see several gg's wearing dresses.
    Not true at all. I see women wearing dresses in the summer very frequently, and often having nothing to do with work.

#3. Women don't wear pantyhose anymore.
    While I agree that unfortunately pantyhose has dropped off drastically I still see gg's wearing them often. Usually while 'dressed up' for work.
    Wrong. Pantyhose are not worn as often as even ten years ago, but pantyhose sales plateaued about five years ago, and have been slowly drifting up since. Women aren't buying them to stuff their drawers. Also, Princess Kate has had a major impact on sheer hosiery sales, at least in the UK.

#4. Women don't wear high heels. See it all the time. In fact I am having difficulty finding a nice pair of non-heel dress shoes. Seems all these stores (Target, Walmart, Meijers, etc) sell high heels. The few 'flat' dress shoes look awful.
    Just simply false. Go to the mall on any given day, and a majority of women will be wearing some kind of heel. The sales of heels over the last few years are also skyrocketing.

By the way; I see you're in Dayton. There's two DSW stores near you, in Dayton Mall and Beavercreek. Get thyself there. Aisle after aisle after aisle of high heels, large discount section, etc. They carry up to size 11, and once in a blue moon size 12. The quality of shoes at DSW is also, on average, MUCH higher than Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

#5 Women don't wear lingerie (satin gowns, corsets, lace, etc. / also I'm not talking about wearing this in public!)
    While granted I don't see my wife wearing that stuff, I'm pretty sure that there are some gg's that do wear satin pjs, and maybe even a few that like the feeling of satin. While lingerie may not be her thing, it is mine.
    Strange. An awful lot of stores are wasting one heck of a lot of retail space then on lingerie that women never wear.

The reality is there is no one set type of woman, and no one set type of dress that applies to all women.

Miriam
    Okay, it's come down to it. Someone must be responsible for taking a firsthand look to determine if the women around them are wearing sexy lingerie. I hate to do it, but I will sacrifice and investigate this issue thoroughly. Anyone want to assist?

Miriam

I think my GF who just died a few months ago would be sad to know she wasn't a real woman. Had me fooled for many years. I thought she was ALL woman. But we heard all that blarney every time we went out, from other women. Pretty much we ignored it.

If women don't wear dresses or have nails or what ever there must be a really huge number of fake women out there buying that stuff
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by SusanQ View Post
    Slips I agree with you. I think that younger women not only don't wear slips, but actually don't even know what they are.

But full cut briefs? If you look through any lingerie catalogue (One Hanes Place, Just My Size, Women Within, etc., etc.) you always find loads of full cut briefs in both nylon and cotton. Someone must be buying them...and I doubt that it is only "grannies". Personally I have been wearing Bali Skimp Skamp panties for many years now, and they are the most comfortable panty there is...and a full cut brief. Their ads say they are the number one selling stretch panty in the USA...I doubt that they are lying.

If you aren't used to bikini or hip-huggers, they really aren't that comfortable to wear...and the thong panties are just ridiculous...I really don't want anything creeping up that part of my body.
    Just repeating info heard from young women.

Amber I have to agree with you and disagree with your wife. in my office the women wear dresses and high heels all the time. Also a lace camisole seems to have become a major fashion piece of women. The women in my office wear it under blouses and sweater and my wife wears them often either as an outside item or under her dresses. I have to agree on the panty hose as i have heard the women in my office complain how much they dislike them. My wife won't leave the house without make up of fixing her hair. So as your therapist says dress like you want to and enjoy!

I'm glad I'm not the only 'feminine' woman out there!!! There are so many differences that it is hard to classify what a 'real' woman wears. It has been stated over and over again and proven that many women do dress like women. If women didn't wear makeup, dresses, hose, heels, etc then that means that there are BILLIONS of crossdressers out there! If women don't buy them it must be men!!!!

It's like trying to answer what a real man wears. There are men that wear the fancy Armani Suits every day to those that wear a wife beater and sweatpants. There are muscular manly men to skinny guys that can't change oil in a car. I tried explaining this to my wife, but of course, 'It's different'. I greatly appreciate her input and advice and so grateful for the courage, and support, and acceptance, but these are some of the things I will disagree with her on.

Amber
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

An interesting topic!

From my observations in my locality (a small town) the majority of females do seem to go with the pants/jeans look, but you see plenty in dresses, skirts and tights etc. However travel to a larger city such as Leeds just down the road from me and there is a large percentage at least half that are in dresses, skirts etc. Both on week days and weekends. So it cant all be business attire. How wonderful a lot of them look too!

My g/f is probably an exception to the rule, while she doesn't dress to the nines or wear make up all the time, she never wears jeans, pants or even shorts. She always wears dresses and skirts. I guess I'm just lucky!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well,, I just made an observation after loging off this forum the ohter day and flip'n on the TV.... I watch the Weather Channel almost every morning. Almost every woman on htere wears a dress almost every day.

Well I think your wfe is right on the point that you want to blend in and not over dress and draw attention to your self. But I know as someone that's embracing my feminine side I'm sometimes more girly in what I like to wear and with my makeup than my wife. She has had her whole life to be girly.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" Anais Nin.

Live, Laugh, and Love Yourself!

"Nailed" it Amber the last paragragh my thought s exactly

Well, damn...I broke all of these rules in the past 24 hours. In my defense, I was meeting friends before I stopped by the grocery store! Do I still get to be a real woman?!?

I don't really see a shortage in any of these behaviors. I think some things depend on your occupation. For example, I must have short nails since I am a responsible student nurse. (I grew them out over spring break and hacked them off this morning). In the past, I worked in a reseach lab...so, pants were the safety precaution. Now, you'll either find me in scrubs or "business casual" stuff for when I am working in the community. Dress codes kind of suck when you are pulling 10-12 hour days. (And, more women are doing this). So, for me, my work comes first and fashion comes second. When I have time off, I love to dress girly. If you see me at Walmart and judge me for not being dressed to the nines (usually in scrubs and ponytail), I would just happily remind you that you may not want me worrying about my nails when you are in a hospital bed. The hours that I get off to sleep, I will slip something nice on for bed. But, it usually is just pulled off in my sleep. On the days I am not working my a$$ off, I'll be dressed in your feminine definition. So, not sure where that puts me on the feminine radar of "real" women. Probably just means I'm a busy person at institutions with a dress code that I agree with and follow.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 03-27-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    i think this may be irrelevant since I know I am not a real woman. I wear what i like and what i like to see real women in.

The only time I dislike what women are wearing is when it is just sloppy or dirty. I don't think anyone should leave the house in their pajamas, and crocs are the worst shoe ever invented. I firmly believe that there are more women dressing up and taking pride in their appearance now than 5 years ago. This is my opinion, the feminist movement pushed women into flats and pants, told them they had to be like men and now they are starting to enjoy being women again. They have realized that they can be strong and successful while still being pretty and girly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeninus View Post
    I can remember when NO woman would go into the city without wearing a skirt and hose. Gloves and hats were also common, especially in church.

South American women in this area dress very smartly and usually in dresses or skirt suits. It seems to be a cultural thing and they do it, I think, to please their men.

I believe that our culture is the victim of the feminist movement,
    There was a time when woman were chattel too, should we go back to the "good old days"?

The majority of South American countries are very misogynistic.

WOW! victim of the feminist movement, sorry we broke up the boys club Don Draper. How much better life would be if a white man could sit and drink martinis all day, accomplish virtually nothing, cheat on his wife, pinch the secretaries ass, come home and avoid talking by saying, "I'm under a lot of pressure at work honey". Meanwhile, wifey, ie personal slave, keeps house, cooks the food, cleans and irons the clothes, raises the kids and, If he's still in the mood after having poked the mistress at lunch, has sex with him.
    Gosh how civilization has just crumbled by affording woman more "rights" than they had the previous 25,000 years or so.

Time to polish the model T and trade it in grandpa!

Silver Member
    With regard to the OP, I think it's never wise to try and argue with a "real" woman about what "real" women wear. It's sort of shooting yourself in the foot, don't you think?

Stephie

Here in Texas it's almost past pantyhose season .

Dresses we are good for.
    Heels we are good for.
    Makeup we are good for. In fact, my mother-in-law would not be caught outside her house without makeup on.

-Candi
    Loving girlfriend of BrandyGG

Yes, we do wear dresses, have long nails, wear pantyhose and heels, wear lingerie and makeup. Sometimes. Depending on the venue. But not every time we go out. Also, it is the younger women who are still on the market for men, or the middle aged divorced ladies (on the market for men?), or the professional working women who are the best dressed. Generally. Not the women whose priorities lie elsewhere or who are running around town with kids in tow. Generally. There are exceptions.

So I agree with you that you do notice well dressed women. Occasionally.

But I'd be more concerned about the deeper issues: why your wife is telling you that women don't dress that way, ever. Maybe she is trying to tell you something else, like maybe that she doesn't like it when you go out dressed? Maybe she is scared or feels threatened somehow that your priorities are shifting, or maybe she's not sure how far it will go? Maybe she doesn't understand why the shift, why the need to focus so much on the clothes? Or maybe she means that most women don't dress like that all the time yet she notices this is the way you habitually want to dress, which she feels might be over the top and get you noticed, not in a good way?

I'm not judging you. I understand why you need to dress and your attraction to the clothes that make you feel attractive. But have you had this type of conversation with your wife instead of discussions about what most or some women are wearing, so that she can understand as well?
    Last edited by ReineD; 03-28-2012 at 02:13 AM.
    Reine