Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's a guy right there

That's a guy right there

I have started going out dressed a few months ago. After dozens of excursions, I have had ZERO problems, until 3/5/12. I went to Joann Fabrics to buy some hemming tape. I walked into the store and started walking down the main isle. Two young (early 20's) women were walking towards me. They were in deep conversation when one of them looked at me, did a double take and stopped talking; stopped walking. Her mouth dropped to the floor. Okay, so I was read. Big deal. I continue on to the isle and they proceeded upfront when I heard her say, "There is a guy dressed like a woman over there!" to everybody at the front of the store. Much laughter erupted. I ignored them initially; didn't want them to ruin my parade. I couldn't find it so I stood in line for a while to ask for the location. I was fed up with the constant chuckles and stares, so I ended up leaving. These were customers doing this and not the employees. If it were, I would have made a bigger deal with it. I wasn't mad I was read, I was FURIOUS that she took it upon herself to out me in front of everybody to rally against me. My wife was disappointed that I 'let them win' but if I wasn't feeling comfortable, why stick around? It did ended up affecting me to where I hit a minor depression for a few days. My wife, my therapist, and even my own mother told me not to give up; not to go back into the dark place (my depression). They all told me that who cares what other people think? So what if they read you as a guy? So what if a few people laugh at you? Why let strangers keep you in a depression? And this came from my mom, "Have you seen pictures on the internet or even in person people at Walmart wearing pants for shirts, in their underwear, or wearing shirts that don't even come close to covering their gut? If they can go out looking like slobs, you can go out looking like a nice decent lady" Even with a pep rally, I still took a week off of going out.

Today I got all dressed up. I was going to go out to Meijers (a grocery/ department store). After I got all done, I couldn't make myself go out, so I started watching Glory on Blu-Ray. My mom called wanted to know what I was up to, and told her I got all dressed up, but too chicken to go out. Back in May, she was completely opposed to going me even leaving the bedroom dressed and hounded me constantly about it. After my failed suicide attempt, she realized how much hiding was causing my depression. She didn't want me to go back into the dark place so she told me to touch up my lipstick, straighten out my wig, and hit it all. "You have every right to be who you are, and you will be who you are. Don't let strangers force you to live a life that isn't yours." I did just that. Grabbed my purse and drove to the store.

I got to the store, walked in and looked at their Blu-Ray selection (awful). Didn't find anything I liked so moved on into the shoes. Tried a few on, but still couldn't find any decent flat dress shoes. All I have is heels! I love high heels, but don't want to wear them all the time. Went to the grocery section and picked up some stuff for dinner tonight (Chili! Yea!!). Went to the self scans paid and started walking out towards the door. There was an elderly man in a wheelchair at a register; a lady (mid 20's) standing with him, paying for their items. The man kept staring at me as I was walking towards them, and he said, "That's a guy.... Beth, look that's a guy right there......" She looked at me, looked me up and down for a few seconds and said, "No dad, that's a woman" I wanted to smile so big, but acted like I didn't hear it. I walked out the store a moment later. I called my mom immediately to thank her for pushing me!!!!

Now it is possible she did read me as a male, and was just being nice. If so, she is a special person that I hope God blesses thoroughly. Wish everybody could be like her.

I have a feeling though, that she did read me as female. When our eyes clicked, there was no dilation, or flinching, or widening of the eyes.

It is important for all of us to accept ourselves and not rely on the approval of complete strangers. Wives, kids, employers.... yea that is different, you have to consider their input. But, my mom, my therapist, and even my wife are right. Don't live your life for complete strangers. So what if she did read me as male, so what if others had, so what about that *itch at Joann Fabrics, if my presenting as female bothers them so what. Maybe they should seek some counseling.

Amber
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

Platinum Member
    Wow, Amber, you really hit the nail on the head with that post. I agree whole heartedly. Being read isn't the problem, and if people have a problem with the way we dress or look - its THEIR problem - not ours. And I'm so in awe of your wife and mom. Talk about support and acceptance (and participation) ....not just accepting you but urging you to get out there and live. They are really tremendous people. I'm particularly impressed by your mom's growth and maturity...and her willingness to change her mind! Such great people!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Amber, although it does hurt to be called out, just remember what they're saying is the truth - at least according to them. Let them live their tiny, joyless little lives. You? Get out there and have fun being you!

Kathi

Gold Member
    Amber;
    Yes, you where caught by the Radar Police, The 12 to 20 year old girls that can spot one of us at 5 miles away.
    Please do not let them get to you, there just insecure little girls that think you are competing for
    a man, witch we know that you are not, But they think they are Gods gift to man, any man, and all competition
    is treated with anger
    Rader

People can be so cruel at times. That was senseless. Amber I think it speaks volumes about you getting out there again. You should be able to go anywhere you want dressed the way you want. Any TG girl that goes out there needs to be prepared for what you experienced though.

About 5-7 years again I went out enfemme between 9-10PM, on a Saturday eveneing to mail a letter & walk around my neighborhood, as I was on my way came back and was waiting for the traffic light to change, a car pulled up, at the curb loaded with men aged in their early 20,s and one yelled out that's a gay. I ran home,which was just over a block away, in heels, they scared the cra*p out of me. Only once before, when I was enfemme, was I so frightened. Hugs Amber, stay strong hon.
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 03-13-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    About 5-7 years again I went out enfemme between 9-10PM, on a Saturday eveneing to mail a letter & talk around my neighborhood, as I was on my way came back and was waiting for the traffic light to change, a car pulled up, at the curb loaded with men aged in their early 20,s and one yelled out that's a gay. I ran home,which was just over a block away, in heels, they scared the cra*p out of me. Only once before, when I was enfemme, was I so frightened. Hugs Amber, stay strong hon.
    Geez sounds like you both had scary encounters. You are both brave.

Way to go. I am glad that you "got back in the saddle" again. Just convince your self that it will happen again and that you will smile at them and ask them if you could answer any specific question for them. That will shut them up, or prompt them to ask the questions that you can so easily and proudly answer.

Now, Marleena, I do not consider these scary situations at all. To me, they are embarrassing situations. There was no danger involved. And, Yes, I do know that it can be scary to be embarrassed. But being embarrassed is our own issue, especially when we have no reason to be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Now, Marleena, I do not consider these scary situations at all. To me, they are embarrassing situations. There was no danger involved. And, Yes, I do know that it can be scary to be embarrassed. But being embarrassed is our own issue, especially when we have no reason to be embarrassed.
    Yep, you're right Allie.

Amber what we need to do is build your confidence. It's too bad we don't live closer together. We could go shopping together and maybe make it easier for you. Having been where you are now I can tell you with certainty it will get better. Those kind of things happened to me when I first went out. I'm sure they still happen today but I rarely notice unless it's one of those days where I am especially tuned in to it. Those days are fewer and farther between and they will be for you as well. I know it sounds counter intuitive but when these things happen you have to just put your head up, look them in the eye, smile, and go on with your day. From your avatar it looks like you should be fine. I always believe that it is all about attitude. Chin up girl! you will get through this. Ive you are ever near Detroit let me know.

Michelle
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Amber, I have been a crossdresser for many years. When my wife was still alive I went out several times a week as Stephanie and never had any problems. The reason for that was that my dear wife did my makup and fixed my wig so that I was entirely passable. I am terrible with both makeup and the wig, so when she died 7 years ago I decided to go out dressed enfemme but without makeup or the wig. My secret is that I don't care if people look at me and comment! I dress to please myself, not the rest of the world. And that is what you are doing!! So keep up the good work! BTW, you are a much better looking lady than I was!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I have been out 3 times dressed up. Once was on Halloween, I was dressed as a bar maid in a long dress with a platinum blond wig. Me, my wife, and two other girls went out to a party, we stopped at a grocery store and then went to the party. After we walked in they all said Hi and I knew some of them so they laughed (nice laugh) but as a group of girls we looked good. One guy at the party didn't know me and I think he was a little drunk. He walked all the way up to me and stared me in the eye (he was looking up quite a bit, I was in 4" heels) and didn't read me until I spoke to him. At the time I blamed it on the group effect.
    The second time I went out I went by myself and things didn't go well and I got read right away. They were nice up front but I could see the smirks and then they ran to the window to watch me leave.
    My third time out went so well that I was in shock, I think a couple of people might have read me a little, but when I thought someone was on to me I just arched my back and strutted, most of the guys eyes would immediately go to my breasts and noone said anything. I had one woman who I thought was looking real close but as I got closer to her she stopped looking at me and was outright checking out my shoes! I am planning another trip out and can't stop thinking about it. I went and bought some perfume today in preparation.

Stay strong, Amber. Keep your heels high along with your confidence. I love everyones replies.
    I am an Artist working in all Mediums including Sexy

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    It was downright rude and ignorant of those girls to call you out like that - unfortunately there area lot of young folk today that have no respect for anyone and like to be the centre of attention - and they will get that attention any way they can. Calling you out probably made them feel big - bad luck for them, they are just shallow and stupid.

Do you really care about the opinion of such stupid ignorant people? just walk on, hold your head up and be happy. Life is here and now, dont let mean spirited bimbos spoil it.

xx

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    About 5-7 years again I went out enfemme between 9-10PM, on a Saturday eveneing to mail a letter & walk around my neighborhood, as I was on my way came back and was waiting for the traffic light to change, a car pulled up, at the curb loaded with men aged in their early 20,s and one yelled out that's a gay. I ran home,which was just over a block away, in heels, they scared the cra*p out of me. Only once before, when I was enfemme, was I so frightened. Hugs Amber, stay strong hon.
    I know the Park Ridge Area, years ago it was a nice place to live.
    Now, I would not want to out after dark in many neighborhoods near you.
    Rader

RADER,
    I was living in the Belmont Cragin neigborhood on Chicago's North West side at the time, after living in the far South Suburbs of Cook County. So far no real bad stuff in Park Ridge, but my 2 male neighbors are very homophobic, Thank you for your support.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Amber,don't let the rude people get you down,there are alot more nice people out there than there are creeps like you ran across.I have dealt with both.just ignore the idiots and carry your head high....enjoy it all the more when you get compliments.....we all go through the same thing,not easy being a woman! Jamie

Thanks girls!!!! Your comments are very inspiring and so true. I can't believe I almost died by my own hands last May...... look at all the wonderful things that I would be missing out on!!!!!!! I am on a 'Transgender High'. Finally happy to be transgender and actually thanking God for making me this way.
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

It seems that we have to almost be like SECRET AGENTS, when out in public dressed. It is too bad, that men dressed up, is still tabboo, so much yet. My third time out, i was shouted at by low life guys in a car, I heard girls screaming OMG OMG, as i walked down a sidewalk. A guy came out of a cafe, to watch me, s i walked down the street, a guy told his kids to not look! Got laughed at after i ordered in a drive up window. They were laughing watching out the windows, as i drove off. Amber, you have guts and grit, and a great mom.

Well look at it this way ,, I have had alot of folks laugh at me in MAN mode . As a DRUNKIN BAFOON ,, So what the hell the difference . That alway freaked me out the most , You can get as drunk as you want an say all kinds of stuff an do all kinds of stuff an be forgiven shortly after ,, But when ya go out an try to be something that is beautiful an pleasent an dont bother anyone , Ya get dogged out for WHAT didn't say anything ,, Didn't do anything ,Was just minding yourown bizz an ya got a GOOFBALL That dont know how to act in a public place saying something . Ya see maybe yall will say im wrong but I surely think that if it got bad enough as a matter of FACT I know that if they persisted with me that they would not LIKE ME too much at the end ! CUz check this out im not rite in the head ANYWAY ,, Im not even going to say what I would have done cuz it would be a LIE ,, Becuz it would come to me then ,, An Im real fast on comebacks . Just to be nice ,, I think if you stand your ground an look rite at em an say ,,,,,,,, SO ,,,,,,,,, NOW WHAT ??? AN YOUR POINT IS ??? DO YOU KISS YOUR MOMMA WITH THAT MOUTH ?? Ill bet the stores that I go in would run there buts outta there cuz this FAT GIRL SPENDA DA MONEY $$$$$$
    Last edited by STACY B; 03-13-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelled wrong soory
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Great play by play Amber thanks for the story. Yep, been there done that, got the "OMG it's one of them" from a 20 somethin GG but got back on the horse that bit me and just kept at it....

Basically, I've figured out that everyone judges everyone else. The skinny person walks by a notsoskinny person and after they pass says to their skinny friend "OMG did you see the size of that one". It goes on and on. If you are even a little bit different and don't blend in like a shadow someone is going to look and make a comment out loud or in their mind.

I try to look nice and dress up right ya know, but the majority of blenders are just wearing sneakers, jeans and t-shirts.... GGs and GMs. I have got to get to a better lookin part of the country...

Renne.....

Amber,

First of all, . If I was in your neighborhood, I would do it in person.

Some have already said it but passing is overrated. I go out a lot including flying on commercial flights. So I have to get read when I check in and go through security. All I expect is to be treated as who I am, a crossdresser, and to be treated with respect. We are who we are and neither the world or ourselves can change that. As you already know, denying ourselves is not healthy.

Be proud of yourself. You are a special person. Most people will never understand the both ends of the gender spectrum as we do. They don't have a clue. Yes, there are a few jerks out there but if you show your pride and not give into their hate, you win and they loose. The more you do this, the more confident you will become and the pride and confidence will shine through. Be proud of yourself, you have already shown that you have the fortitude to go out dressed. Most guys don't have what it takes to do what you did

So once again, here are some big . Hang in there and as they say in the current campaign for the young LGBT community, "It gets better".

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

you go girl, Love it,

In this case karma is your friend. I'm sure the first pair will find it very funny when they're driving home drunk (stupid youngins do this) hit a tree, and have to get their pretty little faces stapled back on. Sounds like you ran into some seriously insensative little GIRLS.
    "I am the beginning and the end. I bring order into chaos. "
    "I never tell the truth, because I do not believe such a thing exists. Truth, is in the eye of the beholder."
    "Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self serving, I shall simply say, good luck."
    "We give no crap, and we take very little."

I read somewhere a great comeback to having the experience Amberday had....

Them: that's a man dressed up like a woman!

Us: sigh, You're not the first person to think that and you probably won't be the last. sigh.

And then walk away.

I don't have it exactly right, but you get the sentiment.