Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to do a project on gender variance

Wanting to do a project on gender variance

for my psych class. I would love some input and help. I know that somewhere out there, there is a chart that shows how 10% of people are either one sex or the other, and the other 90% fall somewhere in between. This sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I did start this thread on my attempt to build a "Gender Diversity" mind map by "crowd sourcing" the community.

Didn't go very far for me, but perhaps you'll find it useful...

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ect&highlight=

FYI - it helps if you collapse all the branches on the map first (that was the more consistent feedback I've gotten )
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -- Mark Twain

Josie on Google Plus

Josie's Flickr Photostream

Dual Spirits (My Blog)

Quote Originally Posted by kimmy p View Post
    for my psych class. I would love some input and help. I know that somewhere out there, there is a chart that shows how 10% of people are either one sex or the other, and the other 90% fall somewhere in between. This sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance.
    Actually, having re-read your initial post....that sounds like it could be a Kinsey study? Have you tried the Kinsey institute website?
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -- Mark Twain

Josie on Google Plus

Dual Spirits (My Blog)

It's pretty much of a given Hon that we are all variations of a theme. We are who we naturally are despite the program we are in and the circumstances.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Rose View Post
    Oh boy.
    Firstly define 'sex' in the context you used it. Then set aside about three days to digest the next four pages of posts. Good luck.
    Then you can relax for 24 hours while the labels and 'what is a woman' discussion falls apart.

You are a cynical b***h Scarlet.

That’s what I like about you.

SUZY

Platinum Member
    there's probably another chart out there that shows 34.6% of people being one sex or the other, 22.1% being somewhere in betweent, and the remaining 43.3% having no gender whatsoever.

Aspiring Member

My opinion

Just an observation but if you spend time with GOOGLE on the subject you'll get such a range of answers (or opinions) that you can formulate almost any statistical distribution you'd prefer. Even the "genetic" definitions blur if you consider an XY genome with complete AIS.

Gender definition is not an easy subject to pin down and the variability is enormous. At its core it is going to be how the individual views themselves. But then that is blurred by their environment or how they think they ought to view themselves.

You could easily make a PhD dissertation on this topic and not exhaust the subject.

Good luck,
    Sandra1746

Thanks in advance.
    It's more like everyone has a sex of m/f (except a very, very few where initial development went awry) and the eventually- imprinted gender usually matches the sex, but in a small percentage does not. Sex is assigned at the get-go, gender is imprinted through a process not totally understood.

Please help by answering a few questions.

I am doing a research project for my Psych class on "Is gender fixed or is there a sliding variable between male and female"? If You would be kind enough to help me out by answering a few questions I would appreciate it. If you would prefer to answer me privately please feel free, and please note that no names or images will be used. I will be posting this for both the MtF forum, and the FtM forum. Thanks for your time.

1. Are you physically male or female?
    2. Where do you perceive your ‘social’ gender (mentally and emotionally) on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is extremely masculine and 10 being extremely feminine.
    3. In relation to the physical sex that you were born with are you heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual?
    4. If you are bisexual does the physical sex of your chosen partner change with how you are dressed?
    5. Do you participate in any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by others of your own physical sex?
    6. Do you have any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by the opposite physical sex?
    7. If it was an option would you physically/surgically change your sex?
    8. Do you prefer the company of the opposite sex in social interaction?
    9. Do you intentionally, on a daily basis, try to blur gender lines with your appearance. (example: wearing feminine jewelry or clothing, or having feminine hairstyles if you are physically a male, and vice-versa if you are female) even if you are not trying to “pass” as the opposite sex?

Male. 5. Hetero. NA. I do not do stereotypes. No. No. Slightly more comfortable with females when younger, but at this age, does not matter. No.

Male
    Heterosexual
    -
    No
    No
    No
    Most of the time yes
    Yes

Aspiring Member

My $0.02

Always interested in helping scientific progress...

1=M
    2=6
    3=Hetero (but really asexual due to prostate meds)
    4=n/a
    5=y
    6=y
    7=no, too old
    8=y
    9=y

Male

2. Where do you perceive your ‘social’ gender (mentally and emotionally) on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is extremely masculine and 10 being extremely feminine.

3. In relation to the physical sex that you were born with are you heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual?
    Bisexual

4. If you are bisexual does the physical sex of your chosen partner change with how you are dressed?
    No

5. Do you participate in any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by others of your own physical sex?
    Yes

6. Do you have any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by the opposite physical sex?
    Yes

Yes, but I don't understand the question, since it is an option

Yes

9. Do you intentionally, on a daily basis, try to blur gender lines with your appearance. (example: wearing feminine jewelry or clothing, or having feminine hairstyles if you are physically a male, and vice-versa if you are female) even if you are not trying to “pass” as the opposite sex?
    No, but the question is rather narrow, there is no blurring, I may have been born with an X & a Y chromosome, but I am a woman, and since starting to transition I look like one every day (aside from work)
    Running, jumping, climbing trees, putting on makeup when you're up there, just like the army, except for the talking squirrels.

Facebook

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Answers to your questions:
    1. M
    2. 5, I sat that because it can move around depending on my mood and situations.
    3. hetro
    4. n/a
    5. yes
    6. yes
    7. no, if I was 40 years younger, I would rethink the whole issue
    8. yes, prefer talking and being around women, to many guys are too into macho crap
    9. no

Who this helps you out.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I am doing a research project for my Psych class on "Is gender fixed or is there a sliding variable between male and female"? If You would be kind enough to help me out by answering a few questions I would appreciate it. If you would prefer to answer me privately please feel free, and please note that no names or images will be used. I will be posting this for both the MtF forum, and the FtM forum. Thanks for your time.

1. Are you physically male or female? MALE
    2. Where do you perceive your ‘social’ gender (mentally and emotionally) on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is extremely masculine and 10 being extremely feminine. 7
    3. In relation to the physical sex that you were born with are you heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual? BISEXUAL
    4. If you are bisexual does the physical sex of your chosen partner change with how you are dressed? NO
    5. Do you participate in any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by others of your own physical sex? YES
    6. Do you have any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by the opposite physical sex? YES
    7. If it was an option would you physically/surgically change your sex? YES
    8. Do you prefer the company of the opposite sex in social interaction? YES
    9. Do you intentionally, on a daily basis, try to blur gender lines with your appearance. (example: wearing feminine jewelry or clothing, or having feminine hairstyles if you are physically a male, and vice-versa if you are female) even if you are not trying to “pass” as the opposite sex? YES
    My answers are included within the quoted text
    Andrea
    One body, two spirits

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001834525065
    Feel free to send me a FaceBook friend request.

Everything is not what it seems
    When you can get all you wanted in your wildest dreams
    You might run into trouble if you go to extremes
    Because everything is not what it seems

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    1. Are you physically male or female? -MALE-
    2. Where do you perceive your ‘social’ gender (mentally and emotionally) on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is extremely masculine and 10 being extremely feminine. -6-
    3. In relation to the physical sex that you were born with are you heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual? - Heterosexual
    4. If you are bisexual does the physical sex of your chosen partner change with how you are dressed? -NA-
    5. Do you participate in any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by others of your own physical sex? - YES-
    6. Do you have any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by the opposite physical sex? -YES-
    7. If it was an option would you physically/surgically change your sex? -NO-
    8. Do you prefer the company of the opposite sex in social interaction? -YES-
    9. Do you intentionally, on a daily basis, try to blur gender lines with your appearance. (example: wearing feminine jewelry or clothing, or having feminine hairstyles if you are physically a male, and vice-versa if you are female) even if you are not trying to “pass” as the opposite sex? -YES - FINGERNAIL SHAPE AND LENGTH
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

1. male
    2. 5
    3. heterosexual
    4. N/A
    5. yes
    6. yes
    7. no
    8. yes
    9. no

Ooh! A quiz!

1) Male
    2) 4
    3) Hetero
    4) n/a
    5) I suppose
    6) see #5
    7) No
    8) Yes
    9) Yes (heavy on the clothing)

OK here we go...

Male
    Hetero
    N/A
    Yes - I am a rock guitarist
    I used to sew a lot, but not nowadays (though I still can!)
    No - not sure what the 'option' is though! Would I like to wake up with a female body and experience it for a year then change back - YES! Would I change permanently? Not with my current responsibilities and family commitments.
    Always
    No - I like to dress to fit the occasion... but, my body is shaved and so my arms and legs are nude. I also pluck my eyebrows and keep them short, but then having no hair to speak of this is normal behaviour these days amongst many men.

Not sure where you will get to with this. I am happy to support any research like this, but you are going to get some odd data patterns I suspect and will probably come to the conclusion that there is a lot of variance. It would be good to see the distributions when you are done! My work related research interests are in the social sciences (business and management) rather than Psych, and qual rather than quants is my preference... it is all in the context!
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-04-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Today 05:30 PM #17 Barbara Ella
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact Send Email

I was Babes, now Barbara

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Are you physically male or female? -MALE-
    2. Where do you perceive your ‘social’ gender (mentally and emotionally) on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 is extremely masculine and 10 being extremely feminine. -6-
    3. In relation to the physical sex that you were born with are you heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual? - Heterosexual; bi curious
    4. If you are bisexual does the physical sex of your chosen partner change with how you are dressed? -NA-
    5. Do you participate in any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by others of your own physical sex? - YES-
    6. Do you have any hobbies or activities that are stereotypically performed by the opposite physical sex? -YES-
    7. If it was an option would you physically/surgically change your sex? -YES-
    8. Do you prefer the company of the opposite sex in social interaction? -YES-
    9. Do you intentionally, on a daily basis, try to blur gender lines with your appearance. (example: wearing feminine jewelry or clothing, or having feminine hairstyles if you are physically a male, and vice-versa if you are female) even if you are not trying to “pass” as the opposite sex
    YES

It sounds like a cool project....

1. Male
    2. Six to a Seven
    3. Heterosexual
    4. N/A
    5. Yes
    6. Yes
    7. No
    8. Yes
    9. Yes

Male

That's a tough one...... maybe 5?

Heterosexual

N/A

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

No

Josie on Google Plus

Dual Spirits (My Blog)

1. Male
    2. 8
    3. Heterosexual
    4. N/A
    5. Only shopping! Hobbies are stereotypically male.
    6. No.
    7. Breasts and FFS, yes. Bottom surgery not likely.
    8. Yes.
    9. Yes.

- Diane

Gold Member
    1. Male
    2. 5
    3. Heterosexual
    4. N/A
    5. No
    6. No
    7. No
    8. Yes
    9. No but I do have long hair and pierced ears if you consider that a yes.

1. M
    2. 3
    3. Het
    4. not
    5. yes
    6. yes
    7. no
    8. yes
    9. no