Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do i (we) crossdress? Medical insights:

Annabelle Larousse:
    Kristi, this is extremely interesting. You know, a lot of TG's say that it doesn't matter to them why they're TG. It matters to me. For one thing, how can you say that it isn't important to know something before you know it? Once you learn something, then you're in a position to decide what that knowledge is worth.

But if it can be clearly established that this research is correct, it will be established that we are simply born the way we are. And surely that will serve to diminish prejudice against us in the minds of people who are capable of any thought at all. Our TGism isn't "our fault", it's not some lifestyle choice that we make, it's not some condition that can be cured, it's not something that we should try to repress. It's simply our nature. We're made the way we are. Let people who dislike us chew on that fact.
    It matters to me too, but I can see how to some others is might not (quite zen, actually). I’d still rather know than not… I came up with an adage similar to “Smart is sexy”: “Competence (comprehension) is always more desirable than not.” (not as catchy I admit…)

I agree it will help us gain more acceptance, but there will always be a proportion of the population who will never get it or try to get it.

Talldrinkofwater
    Wow! That is very interesting, great post! But what scares me now is that this may make me more susceptible to subliminal advertising ploys like "sale" and "bogo." Nah, just having fun...but to be honest I've always had slight troubles with recognizing and rememberingthe faces of people until after multiple meetings. Would that be the "soft-wired" example?
    Thanks! Remembering faces and names should not be affected by the BSTc, from the admittedly limited stuff I have read. In fact, I would have thought that women, who are more socially motivated and interactive, would be more inclined to recognize and remember faces and names. They certainly remember birthdays and other dates…

This might actually lend a bit of credence to the BSTc as a contributor to CD: just because your BTSc is female sized, it does not mean the rest of your brain is more feminine oriented. The FFG area is separate from the amygdala.

But Yes, I think you can do some soft-wiring of this ability- the brain is nothing if not flexible (assuming no damage). Like math, you can practice this, and the more you do the better you get.

I’m not concerned about it, I do okay, perhaps a bit lower than average, but not grossly. This is NOT the case when I see or meet someone I’m interested in: so perhaps it also requires you to have more than a casual interest in doing so in order to place a priority on forming those new neural connections. Just a thought. I know it does work for me.

ReineD
    I agree that gender and sexual variance is hard wired, but are you saying that CDs and TSs lack the fight or flight instinct or it is diminished? Even women have this, especially if someone messes with our kids.
    You are correct in wondering this. No, I would say it does not mitigate fight or flight, females are the more vicious in protecting. The problem is that females are usually raised in a social context that encourages them to exercise restraint before acting more so than men. Personally- I have trained myself to do this somewhat- and it is a rather feminine response feeling, to me. Women work out problem by discussion first rather than action first, I’d say it is much more softwired than hardwired.

Great information posted here Krististeph! Thanks.