Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a Wig Stay On if You Cycle in It?

Would a Wig Stay On if You Cycle in It?

I have a NEW 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 WSD [women's bike] and I have women's cycling clothes, and just two sets of jerseys / skirts. But I don't want to wear a helmet over my wig. So if I road bike up to 27 mph would my wig stay on or fly off?

Do any of you here road bike or bike fast with a wig on? What was your experience? What's the top speed you can go and a wig will stay on?

When my bike is complete I will show a pic of it and me in my cycling gear in the Pic Section!

Who here bicycles in drag, too?

I'm pretty sure that my wig would stay on in that situation, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with the tangles afterward!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Please wear the bike helmet and don't become and organ donor! Probably one size larger will still give you the safety but I do not know that for certain.

But Kate: what about gusts of wind? Are you really going to go 27 mph. You are hard core. Does great things for the legs and figure I will bet. I don't ride much anymore.
    Ever thought about loops of duct tape. Worked for me while we shopped at windy Saugatuck at the Dunes TG Weekend last year.

But really--this is a job for your hairdresser. Or wig shop. They will know what to do. Or if you are the engineer-type. Find the optimum. Try it and keep adding more tape loops or double stick tape until it sticks, but without excess weight. During the testing phase--naturally you want to put a leash on your hair it so you can retrieve it after it blows off.

Actually a good wig shop should be able to find a wig that will go over your helmet. Sew it on. Perfect--look good--but ride safe.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Unless that wig is tight enough to cause headaches, there's no way it's staying on your head at 20mph+. Believe it or not, this is one reason I just went ahead and let my own hair grow ... it is beginning to fall out, but it doesn't fall "off" en-mass like a wig would!

You could pull off the look of sewing a really shocking wig, or other hairpiece, onto your helmet .. or some other decoration. Lots of athletic girls have shorter hair, mind.

Sure as long as it's under your helmet, it will stay on downhill @ 36mph!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Kate, I ride competitively and I never, ever, ride without a helmet. I have crashed and broken three helmets in the last 4 years. You will be dead if you take a fall like that without a helmet. Don't chance it. Moreover, the wig will act like an insulation layer, very uncomfortable. It is not worth the risk. If you want to ride in girl mode, get a cruiser and have fun

I would wear a scarf on my head at least Kate. Many biker gals do.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I ride 7 miles every morning. I WILL NOT ride without a helmet on...period!
    That being said, I always wear a sports bra, and I have a bright lime green women's running top that I wear. I normally do not go out dressed, but I could not find a brightly colored men's top...all were dark and boring. I ride at 5:30 am and it is still dark, so it is a good idea to wear bright colors. I also wear yoga pants, but they are black and pretty much look like bike pants. I have a pair of running capris that also look pretty much like bike pants, so I may give them a shot when the weather warms up a bit. I ride the roads, so I need to be seen. I'd rather not be scraped off the road in a sports bra and pink satin panties!

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but a helmet would do a lot more for you than a wig if you go down. Maybe a pink helmet?
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I would wear a scarf on my head at least Kate. Many biker gals do.
    Yeah, a scarf would prevent brain damage.

27 mph without a helmet, really? You have been around bikes for long enough to know better.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Always wear a helmet! I always wear panties under my biking shorts, but dress for the crash, not the ride.
    ​Cindy

I'll join the choir. . .Wear A Helmet! Please!

I have ridden en femme and just wear a cheap wig under your helmet. It will get funked-up pretty quickly BTW. There was another thread awhile back that had something to do with sports and clip-on ponytails. That sounds like a good idea.

One final word of advice. If you are going to be doing anything more than casual riding, wear male bike shorts. The chamois in the shorts are cut for either male or female anatomy and if you are going to ride with the wrong shorts, you are going to chafe like nobody's business! Besides, nobody can tell from the outside whether they are male or female shorts.

Have fun! Be Safe!
    Debby

There are two types of bikers: those that have crashed and those that will crash. Looking good in your wig and cycling kit while you are crashing won't mean a thing when the EMT's are trying to save your life. Wear your helmet!

Nope. Wigs are only rated to stay on up to 25 mph and yoy have to get the brand that works with *Trek.
    Chickie

Amen to The Helmet

I have cycled en femme and am also a competitive cyclist. I have a fairly long wig and just do a pony tail just above the rear strap on the helmet. I must join the chorus encouraging helmet use, not worth the risk. I got clipped from behind by a pickup truck, knocked out cold on the road, came to looking up at the EMT. Fortunately I was in male mode!
    Be safe.

I ride all the time enfemme, If i could learn how to download a picture I would. But to answer your question, the wig will stay put under a helmet, so pleaswe wear one!! I'm an ICU nurse and that is a place you don't want to be. I just brush my wig out when I take the helmet off or weat it in a pony tail.

Buy some wig tape at a wig salon....it will definitely stay on then.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I've crashed and my helmet was cracked in several places indicating I'd likely be dead had I not been wearing it. Ain't no sense in needlessly risking all of your good times. Hugs, Michelle

Platinum Member
    I would add another strong recommendation to wear your helmet! If you don't want to squash your wig underneat, just fold it and put it in a ziplock while you're riding, shake it out and put it on when you get off your bike. The wig will look better than if it was flattened under the helmet and you'll protect your brain.

I've ridden my bike back and forth to my favorite town about 2.5 miles each way when the weather is nice, Last night I wore a black skort with pink teeshirt ( It says "Saugatuck, where the woman are tough and the men are pretty") and some cute reebok shoes which I put pink laces in, with ankle socks,.... I don't go as fast as you...maybe get up to 20 mph, my wig has always stayed on, I don't wear a helmet though, it would mess up my hair! I take my bike to cd weekend outings also and use it to go to the grocery store, or ride it into town from the motel, it has a cute lil basket on it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephanieDragg; 03-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.

I readjusted my Giro Atmos King of the Hill helmet to the largest settings and it crushes my wig a little. Maybe I might wear a helmet. Unfortunately, all of my women's cycling wear is for 45 to 72 F weather, so I would go men's when it's very hot or cold.

I cruise in the fat burning range when I bicycle for a transportation / shopping / workout - in the 17 to 20 mph range. My 3 top speed sprints were 32.9, 30.5, and 29.6 mph.

If I get a women's helmet I'd get this -- http://boisebikefit.com/Images/Produ...lwrs_34-lg.jpg

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/gir...:referralID=NA

I bike all the time en femme. However, my top speed is limited by heels, hose, a dress and a 35 YO 3-speed. Feeling the wind up your skirt with the lining rubbing ones hose-covered thighs is unbelievable. I personally can't image trying to look femme in a womans lycra bike outfit. Can you wear heels with that?

Best,
    Dot

I was out today biking dressed like this:

talbots.jpg

I tried a little experiement and biked for a while wearing little white canvas sneakers (trainers) and then switched to the heels for the return trip. Very interesting - people seem to notice mainly the heels! I'm not sure why that should be so much more amazing than just a guy biking in dress, but biking in heels is easy.

Best,
    Dot

PS - my wig stayed in place the whole time!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my wig would stay on in that situation, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with the tangles afterward!
    +1. The first time I spent hours detangling my wig, it was interesting because I know women go through that all the time. The next time was just o.k.; after that it was simply a pain in the ass, so I take better care of my hair now.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Lots of great answers here, especially about helmets, enough said on that. My other concern would be sweat! I know that women don't sweat they "glow" but I sweat tons. So how will that effect the wig?
    Dana Fleming