Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The term "Tranny"

Aspiring Member
    Good golly, we worry about the smallest stuff, I for one kinda like the word and the feeling it implies. Damn, I am a woonderful product of the term and I was not using in a conversation with my hair stylist but I did ask her if she felt I was a nut but the answer seemed genuine, no your a relief from the rest of my customers. Our conversations range from dos (I bring pics all the time), to ear piercing to make-up. Just dilly of talk and if I were a man, she would be seducible.

GEEZ !! How bout Female impersonater ? There are only 2 kinds of female impersonaters ,,, WANNA BEs ,,, GOTTA BEs ,, An thats it . So from now on u refer to your self acordingly ,, LOL........LOL........
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Platinum Member
    Hi Pinky, I guess that if you use the term in the negative or the posative that's what makes the differance.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Short for "transmission" (of a car), no? At least that's the way it was used in the 1960's.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Doesn't worry me in the slightest! Admittedly, I have never given a toss about what people call me! lol
    If a guy ever shouted "tranny" at me, I'd probably shout "guy" or "man" back at him. It confuses the people with single figure IQs!

I've never hear it used in a positive way in public before....

Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

So what should we call a crossdresser who works for Aamco?

Unless it's being used to indicate a major car part I think it's degrading and find it's use distasteful.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Pinky, I guess that if you use the term in the negative or the posative that's what makes the differance.
    Thats how I feel about it!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Since we have transvestite, transgendered, and transexual, (and transmission!), the softness of "tranny" always seemed to me to be the same kind of endearment that young children use for just about every long word by putting the soft "y" at the end. And then there is the notion that the T in T-girl (which can cover all three of the above categories) is shorter yet than "tranny". Thus, to me it all came down to usage, that tone in the voice. When we read the written word we put our own "tone" on those words, hence the situation where two people can read the same words and come away with two different interpretations. I've never seen anything negative about "tranny", but then again I've never been confronted by those who wish to use it in a negative context towards me.

Ime with you Karen, I have never heard the word used in a positive way in public before. But this past Saturday, I was refered to as a she-male and
    I have been uptight every since..In no way am I a she-male........dana

Aspiring Member
    Fifteen years ago my friends and I regularly used the diminutive "tranny" or "transie" to describe ourselves and each other. It was innocuous and not one of us thought it was pejorative. I'll even agree that there's an unwritten rule that says something like "If you're not part of the community or a friend of the community, you don't get to use that word." Thing is, I've almost never heard the word used by an outsider.

But at some point in the last decade, the PC gender police came along and told us it was BAD. Again note that I can't say that I've personally ever heard that word used as a particularly negative label, especially by an outsider, but no matter...it was now BAD. Apparently to the easily offended, it's now on par with the so-called "N-word". Yah huh. Will we start referring to the "T-word?"

Doesn't really matter what I think anymore because if I say the word in polite trans society, I see a bunch of scowls and probably hear a low voice of scorn. So despite that I believe that we shouldn't allow people to use our own words against us, I also find myself being ever more careful not to offend my fellow thin-skinned societally gender opressed beings.

I am a tranvestite so I dont find it offensive nor does my wife.

Platinum Member
    Its generally used in a derogatory manner. If someone called me a tranny, I'd be offended. Like Bree, if referred to myself or one of my friends in that manner, I'm being a B too.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Its generally used in a derogatory manner. If someone called me a tranny, I'd be offended. Like Bree, if referred to myself or one of my friends in that manner, I'm being a B too.
    Yeah, this is a good note that I forgot to mention:

When I do use the word 'tranny' it's usually being in a fake-bitchy way, or I'm using it to describe myself in a self-loathing way... I still a bad word when I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    So what should we call a crossdresser who works for Aamco?
    A Trenny for Trannies I guess Nicole.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Count me as one who does not like the word "tranny". Over the years it has frequently been used in a derogatory way, especially by members of the media.
    Hugs, Carole

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayame View Post
    To be honest, I really feel it depends on how it's used. I've noticed that it usually doesn't bother younger people that much and mostly older people still have negative feelings attached to it.
    I guess I would qualify as mostly older, and the term doesn't offend me at all. Never did, never will. I see it as a useful generic shorthand term, and it's simply not in the same semantic league as words like "pervert". Even "queer" has been largely defanged as a slur by its everyday use by people who used to be its traditional targets.

...and furthermore,

It really burns me up when totally closeted individuals have the nerve to tell me what words I'm allowed to use or call myself. It seems like closet cases are all bluster and courage when in the relative security of like-minded souls but get these same people out in the world and they don't say a damn thing when they hear someone use a word in a clearly pejorative way. Maybe the very same word that they so bravely expressed that I shouldn't use because it was "demeaning".

Let me tell you something, girls like me are doing more for our public perception than all the of the philosophical hand wringing of all the offended trannies combined. You wanna talk to somebody about "our image" than talk to somebody who isn't on the front lines, the rest of us have more important issues to contend with.

...badtranny indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I feel it being derogatory, used in the sexworkers context, and derived from Transvestite! Hence our politically correct New term "transgender" which really describes the condition spot on, when in not so distant past transsexual carried sexual connotation and to unaware public was taken as Sexual deviant rather then Gender fluid condition!

It's the intent with which the word is used which is important. Somewhere lost in my attic, is an old George Carlin record in which he dealt with the "what's in a word" issue. At one point he said the "F" word with varying inflections for 3-4 minutes in a row to prove his point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree_K View Post
    I think it's like the "n" word... we can use it within our community, but if an outsider calls us that word, they're in for some $#%&!!!!!

And for what it's worth, if anything, I'm transexual... not just transgender.
    What she said. It's like the "N" word except we can't call it the "T" word. That's already taken.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    ...and furthermore,

It really burns me up when totally closeted individuals have the nerve to tell me what words I'm allowed to use or call myself. It seems like closet cases are all bluster and courage when in the relative security of like-minded souls but get these same people out in the world and they don't say a damn thing when they hear someone use a word in a clearly pejorative way. Maybe the very same word that they so bravely expressed that I shouldn't use because it was "demeaning".

Let me tell you something, girls like me are doing more for our public perception than all the of the philosophical hand wringing of all the offended trannies combined. You wanna talk to somebody about "our image" than talk to somebody who isn't on the front lines, the rest of us have more important issues to contend with.

...badtranny indeed.
    We're just talking about people's opinions... no one is telling anyone what to say or call themselves.

My feelings toward the word probably have a lot to do with my view of myself... if I was more okay with myself, the word would probably lose it's negative meaning to me.

But I'm out there being a tranny every day too... and if the off chance that someone is confused or curious about me, I'm always happy to explain. I don't like to be noticed based on my issues, but if I am, I make the best of it and like to put a good face towards the world for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by thechic View Post
    Depends on the context it is used in.
    Exactly my thought as well. I've called someone a "nice person," but the context made it a deadly insult. I've also called someone a "dumb bast%^&" and the context made it friendly banter. What I wouldn't do is call a perfect stranger (ie no context for the relationship) a tranny, or any other potentially insulting word/label. Do I LIKE being called a tranny? Depends on the context!
    Mina Lost aka Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    ...and furthermore,

...badtranny indeed.
    Who said that though?
    I've never heard it used derrogatory out in public but a family member once said it in a casual, not intended to be bad manner and I lightly corrected them.

No point in flying off into a frothing rage over someone not knowing better.