Thread: Unexpected Allies. Team Ninja

Unexpected Allies. Team Ninja

I am a member of a clan on Xbox360 calling ourselves Team Ninja; 12 members. Only two of them, my cousin and my best friend know I am transgendered. I didn't want the other guys to know though. They are hardcore manly men and most of them are serving in the armed forces active duty or reserves. They constantly throw banter around slamming gays and men in dresses. It didn't bother me too much; didn't take it personally. I did point out several times that not all transgenders are like Jerry Springer, but didn't think I was getting through to them.

Now I occasionally play with my brother's brother in law 'Patrick' (my brother's wife's brother) and they call themselves RedArmy. Tonight we had a clan battle (Modern Warfare 3: Xbox game) Team Ninja vs. RedArmy. Patrick found out through the long family grapevine that I was transgendered and took it upon himself to out me in front of both clans. I died. I'm all open around my house and family, but not to these people. I thought my 'friends/ Team Ninja' (not real friends, but liked playing with them anyway) was done with me. I still had my cousin and my best friend though, but it was still an uncomfortable moment. The guys in my clan asked if it was true, and at this point there was no point in lying. I was just about to turn my xbox off when Team Ninja rallied around me. I wish I could repost the insults that they threw back at Patrick. (one of them said that I looked better dressed up than Patrick's girlfriend) Here I was afraid of these real army guys, and they were cussing, insulting, and slamming Patrick for feeling the need to tell everybody. They told me they supported me and it is because of people like me they are serving. They are serving so I can enjoy my freedoms. We were down 0-3 before Patrick outed me. Team Ninja rallied back hard and we won 4-3.

After we were back in our private chat, I told the guys I was surprised that they supported me; especially hearing all the cracks about gay and transgender people. They told me it is just the way they talk and they can't wait for my 'gay %$$' to get on with them again. Wow.

Amber
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

I am so glad it worked out! Our military guys and girls are the best in the world, not because of equipment nor technology, but because of who they are.

And congrats to Team Ninja!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

That is so cool! I'm hardcore into gaming also. Modern Warfare 3 has taken many hours of my life away. People never react like you think they will.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Aspiring Member
    That is great news. Not saying anything towards your Ninja friends, but there are a lot of CD/TG people in the military that are the hardcore "gungho" type. I was one of them once. But kept it a secret of one the whole time. The only true secret is the one that no one knows outside of yourself.
    Diane Elizabeth

Platinum Member
    Hi Amber, Just when you think that you have people figured out then
    you have to refigure them out again glad that every thing worked out.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Amber, Your clan sounds like a great bunch of guys. My son is a Airborne and I know he would have your back also.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Gold Member
    That is awesome Amber. Those in the military are just a slice of society. So they are the same as the rest of the people around us. Isn't it nice to see how accepting people can be? +1 for Team Ninja!

Great story, Amber! It is great to read about positive reactions, especially from people that seem unlikely supporters!
    “If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.”
    ― Charles Darwin

I think most people can separate the "shooting the breeze" talk from how they actually look at people.

Most (I'd say over 2/3 of the population) can accept crossdressers/gay people/other "abnormals" as people who are just doing what they want to do and what makes them feel good and as non-threatening to their way of life (last time I checked, a gay guy hasn't tried to get me to be gay).

Even though I'm a Christian, I feel a good bit of Christians can be extremely judgmental (even though Christ himself taught we shouldn't judge others, Matthew 7:1-2 tells us not to judge others or that we will be judged the same way. Look it up. Christ hung out with sinners and tax collectors on a regular basis.) and actually really pushy on their beliefs.

You hadn't ever really pushed your beliefs on them (with the exception of saying most trangendered people aren't like the Jerry Springer folk) so they actually had that respect for you that you weren't saying "I'm a crossdresser and you should be one too."
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

That's a great story Amber. Good to see Team Ninja rallying around. Patrick had no right to be so disrespectful. As has already been said 1v0 team Ninja

Hugs Charlotte
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Isn't Team Ninja Itagaki's thing?
    "Move along people, there's nothing to see here."