Thread: "I wouldn't be caught dead wearing sandals in March"

"I wouldn't be caught dead wearing sandals in March"

That's what I heard as I entered the Kroger store by my house yesterday. Before I could figure out who was saying this an older lady showed me her sneakers and said "She must be talking to you dear". WTF? I turned and there was this lady looking at my feet and shaking her head. Again WTF.
    For those who don't know my SO is a nail tech. I get regular (free mani's and pedi's) so my feet are in very nice condition and my nails are always polished just so. I am very anal about those kinds of details. that being said there is no way thet she was looking at a pair of skankie toes even if it is March!!!

I chose to ignore her and move on into the produce department to start my shopping hopefully in peace. As I moved along picking up a few things I became aware that she was following me and making that clucking sound you grandmother used to make when something disgusted her. Occasionally I would hear her say to no one in particular "(cluck sound) it's only march".

As I got further into the center of the produce department with my new best friend in tow, I stopped and looked at the feet of the 10 or 12 other women in the area and guess what? At least 75% were wearing sandals. After all it was 80 degrees out.

I went on with my shopping and after a while I didn't see her any more. As I got in the check out line she lines up right behind me. Sure enough tsk tsk cluck cluck "in March no less".

I turned around and said loud enough for many to hear "Maam, you have been staring at my feet for the last half hour, I'm not into whatever it is you want so please just leave me alone". Then to the cashier I said "suddenly I feel really creepy. Like I need to go home and take a shower." When I turned back the older lady with the foot thing was heading off to another register. The cashier and I had a good laugh about it.

My SO says I'm an asshole magnet.
    I believe therefore I can [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Michelle it sounds like a busybody bored old lady found you. She had nothing better to do I guess. If it wasn't you it would have been somebody else. Lol @ a$$hole magnet comment!

Aspiring Member

There's always one...

She probably won't wear white after September... (or whatever that old rule was).

Obviously someone with a "superiority complex". Fortunately they are relatively rare.

Keep on enjoying life.
    Hugs,
    Sandra1746

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    Silly old moo - some people have nowt better to do than irritate other folks. At least you may draw comfort from the fact that whilst she was giving you a hard time, someone else was getting a break from her - can you imagine being married to such a self rightous interfering old hag???

she should take a trip down to where I live, January, February, March... It doesn't mater its always sandal weather here

That was funny Michelle. As the world turns. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

You go girl! Great comeback! Now you keep those pertty toes showing! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

No sandles >>>??

Come onnnnnnnnn ya take the sandles from all the chix down here an the are screwed ,, Cuz thats all they wear year round ,, FLIP..FLOPS,, Over an over ,, Thats all ya see ,, I think to my self ,,, You are a DUMMY ? Why did'nt I event flip flops ? I would be RICH $$$$$ How many folks do ya know that DONT have um ? RICH ,,, RICH ,, Ya here me !!! That lady waz NUTZ ! I never get those kind cuz ill eat em alive ,, I look for em cant find em ,, Ill be the one doing the following ! She will be running from me ,, After about 50 fart comments ,,, WOO WEE Did u fart good lord somebody done ate something ROOTEN HUH,,,HUH,,Waz that u ,,,huh,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    Nice response, Michelle, good for you for not letting this get you down! And Silentpartner once again has the best perspective on this.

It is hot here! Good comeback, Michelle. Yup you are an asshole magnet--you might as well stay in practice; you will need to to send the idiot buggers on they way frequently.

Nice looking toes by the way.

8rys, going on walkabout
    Heck except for those two snow days I wore my sandals all winter. At times it was a little on the cold side, but I wore them to the yoga studio and for quick runs, now that spring is here I am going to need to start tending to my feet a little better than I did during the winter. Though even with my neglect this winter my feet look better than half of the people I practice with.
    Don't let the nutters bother you, live by the rule of the garbage truck http://howtoforward.com/2008/08/17/t...ge-truck-rule/

Silver Member
    I would have reminded this lady that there are far more important (and frightening) things for an older person on social security to worry about nowadays than others' choice of footwear in a given season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    I would have reminded this lady that there are far more important (and frightening) things for an older person on social security to worry about nowadays than others' choice of footwear in a given season.
    classic!............................

What an odd event, Michelle! I'm certainly glad you kept your cool, at least until her final attack!

It's funny, but the only negative fashiion comments that I've ever gotten have come from midwesterners. For example. one resetteled midwesterner is a friend of my boyself. After she met me (girlself) we went to a business seminar together. I was wearing a business suit and black peeptoe midheels. Afterwards she said, "Only ****s wear peeptoes!"

And this is in southern California! Sandals and peeptoes are pretty much the only thing women around here wear!

And yes, she would never wear white from Labor Day until Easter.

By the way, you may have gotten off relatively lucky. I believe that in the film Serial Mom (click here) the etiquette obsessed mon murders another woman for wearing white in the winter. She probably would have done the same about sandals!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Here in the south, it's sandals all year round.

HW change required Andie Elisabeth's Avatar
    When temperature in morning in March hits 10C (50F or so) I wear sandals only and I put them away in November.
    "It'll be just like old times, except...different" -- Ezri Dax

should said, it won't be long before you get caught doing anything dead lady!

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    Good for you Michelle! Hell I wear sandals in the winter as long as theres no snow on the ground, of course my sandals come with 3 or 4 inch heels so she would have had a cow over them.
    I want to be this girl!

Anyone who would follow you around a store making comments about anything, even the weather, is exhibiting some mental instability and has problems much bigger than what she is raving about. It goes without saying that the actual content of her remarks doesn't mean anything and should be completely ignored. But it's OK to feel sympathy for the woman herself (if you can see past the annoyance to realize she's someone with a serious issue).

I had such a stalker (although male) in a thrift store in Tucson once. He followed me outside the store and I had to have a brief verbal confrontation with him to get him to leave me alone.

- Diane

Aspiring Member
    She was probably raised to follow the rule. No sandals until after Easter. I know I heard it enough times growing up in Mich.
    Diane Elizabeth