Thread: Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned

Hello, Guys and Girls!

Shopping today! And I’m now joyously wearing a part of my well-earned booty from this expedition. This outing was a long, long time in coming—far too long. Last night I was like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning: I slept for perhaps an hour, finally gave it up around 4 and got out of bed. But as usual, there were lessons to be learned from the day’s events.

[1] First, a word to the GG’s. Now, ladies, everyone who knows me is well aware how often I have expressed my profound admiration and regard for the fair sex—but I must admit that at times today I had feelings towards you that might be described as a wee bit ungenerous. There have been endless discussions on this forum, ad infinitum, ad nauseam, relating to the fact that some time ago you women stopped almost altogether wearing dresses and skirts (and without asking permission, I might add). The effect that this has had on the lives of us CDers has been enormous, and never has that lesson been driven home so forcefully as today.

The main mission of the day’s outing was to find some nice skirts. I went to shop after shop without finding much of anything. Oh, yes, racks and racks of trousers, but where were the skirts? I looked high and low for them with little success. And we’re talking about some of the big-name department stores in the heart of Dublin. Now maybe they were there, and I just missed them. But if they were there, they were well hidden. I suppose our Dublin sisters know where to find skirts in their Fair City, but I had to look a long time before I found a couple that suited me.

Really, ladies, do you not see what you’re doing to us? If this desperate situation is to be restored, it’s entirely in your hands. You know what they say: “My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.” And your right not to wear dresses ends where my right to wear them begins. So I implore you: go back to dresses and skirts, out of sympathy for and solidarity with a downtrodden and hard-pressed minority. There is another saying that has never been so apt as at this juncture: “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.” That’s all I have to say on this topic.

[2] I was a bit nervous when I started out this morning, which is rather odd, given that in my glory days I could buy girly stuff with no discomfort whatsoever. I realized that in the past I had been playing mind games with myself. You see, in those days I was married. My wife knew about my CDing and was cool with it. So whenever I went into a shop to buy stuff, I could tell myself, “I’m a married man. They’ll assume that I’m buying it for the wife.”

But I’m no longer married, so I didn’t have that little stratagem to fall back on. Which is of course ridiculous. Because when they see a guy buying girly stuff, they may assume he’s buying it for the wife or they may not, because how do they know whether he’s married or not to begin with? So the lesson is that you don’t need any cute little stratagems. You just do it.

For example, one little shop I went into was full of women—and me. I just went about my business, and nobody paid me any mind. I eventually bought a cardigan there, and that was that. In fact, the whole day was like this. Nobody said a word to me.

And there were some potentially embarrassing situations that proved to be no problem. E.g., in order to take a stick of lipstick, I had to walk right into the middle of a crowd of young girls. No problem: I took it and went and paid for it. And my favourite moment was when I was selecting a couple of slips. There’s little old me in the midst of a lot of women, plus a mass of bras, panties, corsets, etc, and I was cool. I was saying to myself, “Back in the groove, baby, you’re back in the groove!”

One point of interest: I made purchases at several different stores, and three times I was checked out by a guy. None of them said a word to me, not even the one from whom I was buying two tops, two skirts and two slips. He was cool with it, and I was cool with it. The third guy, the one from whom I bought the lipstick, gave me what I interpreted to be a "knowing look": "Aha! You're one of them, are you?" Maybe I'm wrong, because he was a foreigner, and foreigners can sometimes be hard to read. In any case, he didn't say anything but "Thanks very much", and by that time I was past caring what anybody thought about anything. I was enjoying myself too much.

Of course, two things to note: I was shopping in drab, and I didn’t ask to try anything on, which I really wanted to do at times. Trying stuff on might well have changed the situation. At any rate, shopping in drab is no big deal, and it’s a start.

[3] The day wasn’t entirely about shopping. I was also meeting a contact in a TG centre. She’s a T-girl in the middle of transitioning, which she says is going well. At the end of our meeting we left together since we were going the same way. So there we were strolling right through the fat middle of Dublin, and no one was paying the least bit of attention to us. That astonished me—until I realized that we were just walking along and chatting to each other and not paying any attention to anyone else. So why should anyone be paying any attention to us?

I did ask her if she suffered any harassment. She said that once every four or five months on average she might get a bit. A couple of weeks earlier some kids had shouted after her, “Hey, Mister!” So to my amazement that sort of thing is possible. It was the first time I had witnessed it personally. A revelation. She did agree however that parading publicly en femme in the little town I’m living in would be a different matter altogether. You need sufficient numbers to be able to blend in. In our town you’d stick out like a sore thumb. So that’s something to think about.

[4] Finally, to end this long, long post, I was texting my son a lot today, and this proved to be a bit of a problem. Lately I’ve been letting my nails grow, and they’re to the length now that I can’t figure out how to hit the keys. But I’m letting them grow. I’ve been a life-long nail-biter (and that should tell you something), and the practice has to stop. It certainly isn’t lady-like, is it? So I’ll have to figure this one out. In the meantime, the lesson learned is: it’s so hard being a girl! But I’m not complaining about anything this evening. I’m just happily exhausted and planning to go to bed soon.

Best wishes, Annabelle the Joyous

Had a good day then Annabelle?

You sound like your really happy and enjoying life. And that’s the way it should be.
    I can just imagine you getting home and trying everything on. That’s a wonderful feeling that never fades.
    I miss the lovely site of women in a skirt and top or a nice dress too but then there is us lot to make up for it, yes?

A nice read.

Hugs, SUZY

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    I miss the lovely site of women in a skirt and top or a nice dress too but then there is us lot to make up for it, yes?
    Yep. We can wear them ourselves.

Aspiring Member

Hi Annabelle

It sounds like you did have a pleasant day. That's super!

Over on this side of the pond skirts aren't any more common. Some stores carry a greater stock than others but pants dominate the scene and most GGs are out in the stores in slacks. Some few in dresses or skirts are seen but they are likely on their way home from work and dressed in "business" clothes. I wear skirts around home but only wear slacks outside. Taking it "slow and easy".

I hope you continue to enjoy your "days out", they can be a lot of fun.

Hugs,
    Sandra1746

Yep! I would say you had a great day shopping! I nowadays shop only when I'm fully dressed! I find it much more fun and relaxing then going in drab!
    Glad you had a great day! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Over the years I have run into some of the same problems relating to skirts and dresses. But now I am at a point where I actually have too many skirts and dresses. I am not even sure how many of each I have! I would guess that I probably have at least 30 to 40 skirts, and probably at least 15 dresses! I may have even more, but some stuff is put away where I haven't seen it for some time.

BTW, like Cynthia I do frequently shop fully dressed enfemme. But I definitely do it differently! I wear no makeup and no wig. I am just me, a real man in womens clothes! And nobody seems to ever care!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Thanks, girls. Yes, I had fun, and yes, it would be even more "super-fun" to shop en femme. Who knows? Maybe some day--but it will have to be a day when Ireland is ready for that sort of thing, and I'm not sure when that will be. But it's something to look forward to. A question of me preparing myself for that.

Annabelle

Annabelle,

The trip out sounds awesome. As for the texting, I might have a solution. It really depends on the type of phone you have. I dread the Iphone so can't tell you much about it. I have an Android smartphone and the onscreen keyboard has "swype" where you slide your finger from one letter to the next to get a word. You can do that with nails. Maybe that will help.

Hope so.

-Candi
    Loving girlfriend of BrandyGG

Thanks, Candi, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking that I might just ask some women how they do it, but that would be letting the cat out of the bag, wouldn't it?

Best wishes, Annabelle

Sounds like a very fun day, I have been shopping 3 times now en femme and it is much less awkward than shopping male.

Good for you! Shopping en femme: something to look forward to one day!

Like you say all the popular styles are for pants,if that is what they want then we need to 'set the example". Of course if you do that then you are going to have a lot of jealous GG's looking at you.

I'm not sure how jealous any GG would be looking at me, but it's a nice thought.

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a lovely day Annabelle - now come on - show us the booty! we surely need a fashion show!!!

re the texting - use the blunt end of a pencil to depress the keys - thats what I do! with my phone and with a calculator - saves sending messages that are complete gobbledegook!

PS - no way are your pleadings going to get me back into skirts - falling on deaf ears here! you are more than welcome to them, and the tights,stockings, suspenders, they are instruments of torture

Quote Originally Posted by Silentpartner GG SO View Post
    Sounds like you had a lovely day Annabelle - now come on - show us the booty! we surely need a fashion show!!!
    Sorry, I'm a real camera-phobe. I've never owned one in my life. Speaking seriously here, I've never liked having my photo taken, either. Not sure what that says about my personality, but it's a fact.
    re the texting - use the blunt end of a pencil to depress the keys - thats what I do! with my phone and with a calculator - saves sending messages that are complete gobbledegook!
    This is an excellent idea. I was really struggling yesterday, but I'm not going to clip my nails at this point. I really like them.

PS - no way are your pleadings going to get me back into skirts - falling on deaf ears here! you are more than welcome to them. . .
    Gosh, thanks. Very generous of you. I'll give you my address so you can send them to me.

and the tights,stockings, suspenders, they are instruments of torture
    If that's torture, I'll gladly declare myself a heretic. There's never an Inquisition around when you need one.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Aspiring Member Silentpartner GG SO's Avatar
    Gosh, thanks. Very generous of you. I'll give you my address so you can send them to me.
    you'd have to fight my OH for them ! lol

Hi Annabelle, sounds like a great day out!

There are still plenty of lovely skirts and dresses out there, but as you suggest, finding them can be a challenge. My GF wears them exclusively so they are there. Going to stores like H&M, New Look, Next and especially Primark tend to yield the best results, certainly around Yorkshire.

Best place really in my clothes searching tends to be online. Locate the skirts and dresses I like then "home in" on them when I go out shopping.

Good luck with the long nails and texting, I struggle with short nails!

Charlotte
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireRose View Post
    Best place really in my clothes searching tends to be online. Locate the skirts and dresses I like then "home in" on them when I go out shopping.
    I did actually try this. I got on the websites of some of the big shops in Dublin--Penney's, Dunne Stores, Marks and Spencers and Debenham's. So I thought I'd have no trouble finding what I wanted when I got there. I found out that what's on their website is a fair bit different from what's actually in the shop.

At this point, I'm considering the notion that it might be easier to shop online. The problem there is that you can't be sure that what you're getting will actually fit. But maybe there is an advantage in it being hard to find what you want: you don't spend too much money that way.

Annabelle

Yes that is the down side to online shopping. Really need to get my proper measurements, then check with the store, eBay etc the sizing, maybe that's the way to go Annabelle!

Hugs Charlotte
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I shop online too.
    The junior's skirts and dresses are usually shorter and flirtier (not all of them though)
    I'm guessing the majority of them buy the most feminine, frilly things they can find, so I think it's up to us to keep the dressmakers in business. Now if only we can bring petticoats back...
    I'm liking your style more and more with each post!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    It feels good to be able to finally discuss things with like-minded people, instead of just being alone with my thoughts.
    You'll certainly find lots of like-minded people on this thread. Lots of girls like short and flirty. Actually, I'm a bit different: I tend to prefer longer skirts. Below the knee doesn't bother me at all.

But I believe I'm going to start looking online. It's a question of finding my correct size in various items. But I did a bit of that yesterday. It's a nuisance to buy something that doesn't fit. But it's also a nuisance to make a long trip and not find what you're looking for. (I'd better stop now. I'm beginning to have unkind thoughts about the GG's again.)

Best wishes, Annabelle

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post
    Hello, Guys and Girls!
    [4] Finally, to end this long, long post, I was texting my son a lot today, and this proved to be a bit of a problem. Lately I’ve been letting my nails grow, and they’re to the length now that I can’t figure out how to hit the keys. But I’m letting them grow. I’ve been a life-long nail-biter (and that should tell you something), and the practice has to stop. It certainly isn’t lady-like, is it? So I’ll have to figure this one out. In the meantime, the lesson learned is: it’s so hard being a girl! But I’m not complaining about anything this evening. I’m just happily exhausted and planning to go to bed soon.
    Texting with long nails made easy!
    (you need an android phone)
    http://www.swype.com/category/tips/tips-videos/