Thread: The Female Singing Voice

The Female Singing Voice

This has nothing to do with panties or mascara, but the other day I was in my car and listening to a CD- "Altan: The Songs." The songs were sung by a number of different women, some with trained voices and some natural. I was struck by the aching beauty of their voices, and generally with the sound of women singing. Even duets with men, as when Dolly Parton sings with Brad Paisley on the lovely "When I Get Where I'm going." She adds such angelic beauty to that song.

Men, of course, can have rich voices as for example Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli, or on a popular level, Gordon Lightfoot. But women... Women give us both beauty and heartache in this world, and perhaps that is why we (more sensitive?) folks seek to emulate them as best we can. One of my early heartbreaks was when my voice broke and I really couldn't fit anywhere in the church choir anymore. I both admire and envy women their ability to sing so beautifully. Yes, a couple of centuries ago there were the castrati who could sing like that, but there are few today who would want to go down that route so early in life.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

Kim L of S. Texas Kimberly Long's Avatar
    I have a wonderful female singing voice. But I never use it, that is why I think it is wonderful.
    Love Kimberly

Aspiring Member
    I love the female voice and I believe that those voices were the sirens that contributed to my piling on the CD rocks. I can"f sing a note.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Long View Post
    I have a wonderful female singing voice. But I never use it, that is why I think it is wonderful.
    Love Kimberly
    Sounds like something I would say!
    But I agree about Dolly and some other great performers! Such a wonderful lovely voice! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

This is one reason women make good Mothers, so they can sing their little ones into dreamland. Hearing a melodious voice while being snuggled against a soft body, what more could any baby ask for?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

STOP ... STOP,,,, Well thanx for Noticing I get that alot .
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

I enjoy both male and female singers. In the case of female singers I find many current female singer sound so similar that I feel very unimpressed and the only thing that matters is what song they're singing. There have been many unique, individual voices that transcend the din. Judy Collins singing about anything, Mady Mesple singing Lakme and there are one or two current singers whose names escape me - but I like what I've heard on the radio.

To compare a couple of singers, take Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli doing the duet 'The Prayer'. She has a fine voice, but it's not really 'special' - but when he is singing - oh my! My mother got me listening to him years ago and I can't thank her enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Hall View Post

To compare a couple of singers, take Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli doing the duet 'The Prayer'. She has a fine voice, but it's not really 'special' - but when he is singing - oh my! My mother got me listening to him years ago and I can't thank her enough.
    Then there's Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli...what a match!

Kimberly's voice is like the tree falling in the forest. Would love to hear it.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Long View Post
    Love Kimberly
    Lucky you. I have the singing voice of Johnny Cash
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeninus
    The Female Singing Voice. Women give us both beauty and heartache in this world, and perhaps that is why we (more sensitive?) folks seek to emulate them as best we can. One of my early heartbreaks was when my voice broke and I really couldn't fit anywhere in the church choir anymore. I both admire and envy women their ability to sing so beautifully. Yes, a couple of centuries ago there were the castrati who could sing like that, but there are few today who would want to go down that route so early in life.
    [SIZE="2"]I need music in my life, and I have a lot of it, but, curiously, female voices rarely “drift” from my speakers. I was just having a discussion with another member about this – you would think that I, a MtF crossdresser, would want to hear women’s voices 24/7, but the opposite is true. I prefer male voices that somehow blur the imaginary edge between the genders – either very sensitive, or plaintive in the extreme. I hear myself through them, but female voices do not affect me like this…

I wish to say that male voices can be just as “angelic” as females, perhaps even more so, since they are not supposed to impress us in this manner – I mean, if you aren’t supposed to dress like a woman, how can you kidnap her vocal territory as well? Male singing can be imbued with as much beauty and heartache as the female voice, but you need to avoid the obvious and do a little exploration away from the mainstream. I would offer a few suggestions, but this is not the “Media” section…

A lot of female singing leaves me cold, although there are exceptions. Women can affect an angelic tone, but I always wonder where they’ve been; they can sing like little girls, but they obviously aren’t; and (often) they can barely sing at all, which is consistently annoying. I have exactly four female singers in my collection, people I’m sure you’ve never heard of, and I rarely listen to them – I would much rather hear a gay man sing, because I have some idea of what his life has been like, or perhaps a male who sings about his own never-ending heartache, no doubt caused by coming in contact with a woman…

To hear a true angel, listen to the little boy sing in the movie “Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence.”
    [/SIZE]

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeninus View Post
    Then there's Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli...what a match!
    Yes!!!!! She has sung with a number of different tenors, as well. Her voice makes me week in the knees. Check out Youtube for videos taken from her Symphony Live in Vienna concert at St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. I'm not at all religious, but that place is absolutely magnificent!
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

I agree with Frédérique, a lot of women's voices leave me cold, but I think that is the song. A lot of Strauss music is aweful, and I really dislike what Rossini wrote for the female voice - very shallow music. Then there are the gems, such as the Song to the Moon from Dvorak's great opera Russalka, or best of all, since we all like angelic women, the In Paradisum movement from the Requiem by Gabriel Fauré. I do sing in a chamber choir and can't imagine a life without song. I've sung Messiah about 30 times now, choral parts only, but I do so wish I could sing some of the female parts. I'd love to be in a big gown on stage and awe the audience with "I know that my redeemer liveth", one of the greatest songs ever written for the female voice.

But then I also love the male voice too. One of my very favourite singers is Bryn Terfel, but to be moved to tears, start YouTube and search for Luciano Pavarotti singing "Panis Angelicus" in a duet with his father, his father was a talented amateur baritone.
    Last edited by HannahF6; 03-28-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling

And then there is Michael Maniaci. He is a mature intact male soprano (not a castrato). He manages to have a masculine timbre while singing in the soprano range.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him