Thread: Transgender person with penis can legally be a woman (Canada)

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit

Transgender person with penis can legally be a woman (Canada)

This is in Canada so I doubt a many people would have heard this unless you liver there. Here is the link: http://www.montrealgazette.com/healt...683/story.html

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm not sure that they were addressing the right area of law here. As a first priority, surely they should have struck down laws that discriminate against transsexuals such as the one about not being allowed to fly if you are in transition.

I am equally disturbed by the suggestion that the only reason someone would seek Gender Confirmation Surgery is to get their documents changed.

I also feel that it was cop-out by the OHRC not to suggest what should replace the criteria that they have struck down - just saying that third-party guarantors could be enlisted to decide when a person has officially switched sex (sic) is insufficient without stating what sort of qualification those guarantors should hold and whether there should be any qualifying period.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

This very news story has been covered a few times on this forum.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...Ontario-Canada

One important thing, this situation applies only to Ontario, not Canada as a whole.
    Last edited by Frances; 06-07-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Banned Read only
    I'm confused here, I have a penis and switched my license gender marker back to " M " in order to obtain a marriage license in order to legally marry my SO here in the state of Pennsylvania.
    I live full time and have all documents other than my license switched over to " F " .

Am I missing something here????

OK reread again the birth certificate is the sticking point I get it.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Julia_in_Pa View Post
    I'm confused here, I have a penis and switched my license gender marker back to " M " in order to obtain a marriage license in order to legally marry my SO here in the state of Pennsylvania.
    I live full time and have all documents other than my license switched over to " F " .

Am I missing something here????

Julia
    Yes, Canada is a different country. Same-sex marriage is legal federally, so it does not matter what your gender marker is for that purpose. In most provinces, you cannot change any gender marker on anything without surgery, or impending surgery (with a date). In Quebec, you cannot change any marker without surgery, especially not on your driver's license.
    Last edited by Frances; 06-07-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Banned Read only
    [QUOTE=Frances;2866933]This very news story has been covered a few times on this forum. One important thing, this situation applies only to Ontario,/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...........
    Ontario, It sounds like I may be visiting ontario in the future for sightseeing and visiting.

Thera

Quote Originally Posted by Thera Home View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    This very news story has been covered a few times on this forum. One important thing, this situation applies only to Ontario
    Hmmmm...........
    Ontario, It sounds like I may be visiting ontario in the future for sightseeing and visiting.

Thera
    This is purely a legal issue for now. It does mean that Ontario is a TG-friendly province.

We continue with small steps here in Ontario. Be patient and pray the future powers to be do not mess with any gains made and continue to improve life for all.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    We continue with small steps here in Ontario. Be patient and pray the future powers to be do not mess with any gains made and continue to improve life for all.
    Now what fun would that be?

That is amazing. They probably even let flat-chested people be women. If only the US had some common sense.
    Juno Michelle Krahn

Normal people are weird. Stealth is another word for "in the closet".

Should I be offended with the title of the thread? I feel like I should be.
    Add me to facebook if you want: http://www.facebook.com/hobbitprincess
    "Never thought I would be here, so high in the air
    This is my unanswered prayer
    Defined by another, so much wasted time
    Out of the darkness, each breath that I take will be mine." -Waterproof Blondes, "Just Close Your Eyes"

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophora View Post
    Why should you feel offended? I just used the same title of the newspaper article.

Quote Originally Posted by darla_g View Post
    Why should you feel offended?
    Because forum rules dictate that someone MUST be offended by every post, it's called the Hobbes Principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I guess the reason I should be offended is the fact the title is "transgender person with a penis." I know it wasn't your doing however it comes off a little bigoted to me.

I guess the reason I am confused is why was there a need to even put the "with penis" in either the article name or the thread title. It would have worked with "Transgender person can legally be a women." The "with penis" part seems to be excessive in this case.

edit: I just read the article and yep, There was no need to mention the "with penis" part as they talked about it going both ways(mtf, ftm).
    Last edited by Sophora; 06-08-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Add me to facebook if you want: http://www.facebook.com/hobbitprincess
    "Never thought I would be here, so high in the air
    This is my unanswered prayer
    Defined by another, so much wasted time
    Out of the darkness, each breath that I take will be mine." -Waterproof Blondes, "Just Close Your Eyes"

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    That is amazing. They probably even let flat-chested people be women. If only the US had some common sense.
    Ah, but WE had Puritans, Juno! So, maybe we don't need common sense?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophora View Post
    If you want to get offended by something then try getting offended by our self-appointed expert on all things TS who often shouts that women don't have penises and thereby puts down all those who haven't yet had GCS or who can't for any of a number of reasons.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Yes, it has to remembered that a lot of people can't have SRS for medical reason.

It's one thing that worries me, go all down the route then SRS becomes impossible because of some health issue that I don't have (or don't know about) right now.

Has anyone read the decision?

The decision says that it violates human rights to mandate surgical intervention before getting a change in ones birth certificate. It then goes on to allow the government 6 months to come up with another threshold other than surgery. I can't cheer for this decision just yet. I'd rather find out what the new threshold will be; it might be worse than you think.

And just to be sure: the complainant had an orchiectomy and received a new birth certificate before the complaint was heard.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)