Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do these images make me sad?

Why do these images make me sad?

The following women were all born men:

http://www.hancinema.net/photos/photo12870.jpg

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/...na_xlarge.jpeg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...a_2182045b.jpg

http://images.seneweb.com/dynamic/mo...eystarr122.jpg

When I look at these images, why do they make me sad a bit? They all look exactly like women. But when I see beautiful GG's I don't get sad. Just these women that I know are trans. Am I the only one?

All these images do is make me envious.
    Are you confusing envious with sad.
    Looking at women, I just take mental notes on how they present themselves.
    Then I try to emulate them.
    No! That doesn't work either.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Number 1 is the most natural of them all.

Number 2 looks like she's mostly plastic...I wouldn't feel too bad about not looking like her. My guy side is kinda repulsed by that look.

Same for number 3...too skinny in the wrong parts.

Number 4 is an almost tie with number 1.

Google Kim Petras...
    She's 19, has been on hormone treatments since she was 12 and had surgery at 16. Besides having been born as a boy and not having female reproductive organs (ie, ovaries...without them, no periods, but I'll hazard a guess and say she still gets moody), she actually is the closest thing I can think of as a complete woman besides genetically born women. Why? She had the necessary steps taken to avoid having male hormones and a male puberty happen.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

I can relate. I think we envy them for their transition.
    Danielle

I don't quite understand Violet. Are you sad because you feel you can never be that "attractive". Or are you sad for them???

No they don't make me sad. I have no real feelings either way for most of them. I am quite happy with who I am, what I look like.

Sad is a little strong here! Envy, yes! I'm happy for those that have fullfilled there dreams! Why oh why couldn't it been me! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Aspiring Member
    Sad, not really. Jealous? Oh yeah.
    And Violet, you shouldn't be sad. You're one of the prettiest girls here.

Silver Member
    I don't know why they make you sad.

Do you?

I can tell you that pictures of women don't usually make me sad. And those pictures don't make me sad at all.

What I find interesting is that YOU identified all of those pictures as pictures of men. They don't look like men to me. And also, they don't look like they want to be identified as men. Why do you think it's important for you to "out" them on this forum?

Is this a little passive aggression?

S

Personally they invoke no strong emotions in me one way or the other.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

They don't make me sad, and they don't seem to be making themselves sad either.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I wonder how they would react to a photo of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    What I find interesting is that YOU identified all of those pictures as pictures of men. They don't look like men to me. And also, they don't look like they want to be identified as men. Why do you think it's important for you to "out" them on this forum?

S
    That is very unfair. I dare to say these individuals are likely already linked to being trans in some way, shape or form.

Violet, I totally get where you're coming from. The trans comes into play ONLY because we happen to know that about their history. The sadness comes from a could-have/would-have/should-have in thinking that perhaps if we were born at a different time and had the bravery to confront our gender issues head-on at an early age, then things really could be dramatically different for any of us.

So yes, there are moments when I feel that twinge of undeniable envy when confronted with a woman who has transitioned at an early age, especially when male puberty was suppressed. This is much different than the envy of aspiration that sometimes comes up when I see a natal female. But in either case, it doesn't do a whole lot of good to dwell on it. I try to see the positivity in who I am and do the best that I can in living on a middle path. But that doesn't mean I am immune to certain emotional reactions when I see beauty that I aspire to, no matter what form it comes in.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

The only emotion the pictures produced in me was amusement, with picture #3. The interviewer is staring right into her cleavage, it is such a guy moment.

Hannah

hmmm..

i used to look at pictures of cocinelle, and christine jorgenson and tula...and i would get sad...

not anymore though..

i am a bit jealous of how pretty and young they are..but that's just age...they'll get old too!

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I don't know if i would call it sad. It really doesn't make me sad a bit after learning they were originally men. They ultimately achievd something they wanted.

I don't see anyhting unusual about the images... what makes me sad is knowing that they have suffered from other people's opinions of them. ...even a few of the opiniions in this thread...these people didn't ask us to judge them, they just want to live a happy life and to be treated with respect.
    Chickie

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I looked at these and immediately thought, "wow...look what is possible!" To me these women are inspirational and show what can be done when one strives to move in a certain direction in life! Outstanding!

tina

Hi Violet. I think the sad part may be they were born the wrong sex.

That said they made changes early enough in life to be who they are. They are beautiful. I hope some day all transgenders are able to make that change before puberty. Wouldn't that be great?

Platinum Member
    As others have said, I'm not saddened - I see beautiful women - regardless of their DNA. I will admit to feeling more than a bit envious, but also wistful longing for young skin and muscle tone!

I don't know why they make you sad.

Do you?

I can tell you that pictures of women don't usually make me sad. And those pictures don't make me sad at all.

S
    You may want to reread the original post. What I said was, the following women were born men.

Also, I've outed no one. The women in order are:

Harisu
    Ana Mancini
    Jenna Talackova
    Sidney Starr

All of these women are public figures who are open about their trans background. Why would I be aggressive about this, passively or otherwise?

Also, I should clarify: I'm not sad FOR them. I'm happy for them. But when I look at them... perhaps wistful is a better word.

I think Sara Jessica understands..

Violet, I definitely know how you feel. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel envious. When I read about someone beginning transition I always experience at least small pangs of jealousy, but also happiness that someone is living their lives on their terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post

When I look at these images, why do they make me sad a bit? . . . Am I the only one?
    No, Violet, you're not the only one. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I enjoy being TG. When I'm dressed and feeling good, I love it. It has been asked on this forum before, if you could change and be "normal", would you change? My answer to that is no, I wouldn't change. In that sense I've accepted that I'm TG.

Still, sometimes I find it sad. We're born with such a disparity between body and mind. Our minds tell us we're one thing, and our bodies tell us we're another thing. We start out in life with a huge handicap that most people don't have to face. When I'm really feeling negative, I regard TGism as a sort of birth defect. I was born as defective goods. When you think like that, yes, it can get you a bit down.

Have you ever watched cats? For me, they're the most perfect animal physically. So agile, so at home within themselves. Imagine being able to flex your knees a bit and be able to leap up on a wall 15 feet high. I read something really amazing about cats recently: they can fall out of buildings, which sometimes they do, and survive a fall of several stories. In fact, the higher up they are, the greater their chances of survival because they have a natural sort of parachuting capability. If they fall only 2 or 3 stories, they're not likely to survive. Give them 6 or 8 or 10 stories, their chances increase.

I feel like I'm the opposite of a cat. So awkward, so ill at ease within myself. I'd love to be so smooth and slinky in my movements. I'd love to have that sort of feeling within myself. Instead, I lumber along more like a tank. I feel like the quintessential klutz.

It's why photos such as the ones you've linked to can make me sad. A reminder of everything I'm not. There's no doubt there's some envy there, but still it's a reminder to me of how far I am from what I'd like to be. I've been all wrong from birth. Enough to make a body sad.

But we should look at those girls for some inspiration, too. I'm starting to do a bit of work on myself. I'm not nearly as young and pretty as you--which is why I don't have any photos of myself. But we have to accept that we are what we are. Maybe we were screwed over at birth--but some things you just have to accept and get on with it.

Remember, too, that our sadness is not the only sort. Lots of people in this world know sadness in many different forms. We're all in the same boat, if only we knew it. We really should all join hands, and see if we can't help to make everyone happier. My ultimate dream.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    It's not just you and it's not just us. I know people who have the same kind of emotion when they see the photos of a lottery winner or a star athlete or anyone who has achieved or experienced something the viewer has dreamed about. It may not even be desire to be in their place, but more, as Sara Jessica says, a "coulda woulda" committment that we either didn't or couldn't make. I dream of Tuscany or the Great Wall of China and decide to be happy when I visit Key Largo or the Grand Canyon. I wish for unlimited wealth and decide it's okay to already have what I need. And I look at those photos of the women who have made the journey that I never will and have to be satisfied that I understand something of what they feel and decide not to get too caught up in the whole beauty and body issue thing that all women face in our society.

You are lovely and have a good attitude and great sense of humor. I'm sure there are some who look at your photo or read your posts and sit there wistfully thinking they couldn't be more like Violet. Sometimes it feels good to be sad for a while, it can help focus our attention. Don't worry about it Violet, you have plenty of company.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post
    You may want to reread the original post. What I said was, the following women were born men.

Also, I've outed no one. The women in order are:

Harisu
    Ana Mancini
    Jenna Talackova
    Sidney Starr

All of these women are public figures who are open about their trans background. Why would I be aggressive about this, passively or otherwise?

Also, I should clarify: I'm not sad FOR them. I'm happy for them. But when I look at them... perhaps wistful is a better word.

I think Sara Jessica understands..
    Yeah, maybe wistful is a better word.

But you are "outing" them here. Why do you feel that need? It's obvious (at least to me), that they do not want to be identified with that gender. Just look at them.

But you are "outing" them here. Why do you feel that need? It's obvious (at least to me), that they do not want to be identified with that gender. Just look at them.
    Stephenie, I'll go along with Sara Jessica and ask just what's the point of this post. Violet's not outing them since they're already out. Why does Violet feel the need to discuss these women on her thread? She gave that reason in her OP: she looks at them and feels some sadness and is wondering if anyone else does, too. She's stated her purpose quite clearly, and it's hard for me to see anything untoward in it. It seems to me to be a perfectly valid topic of discussion.

Annabelle