Kristyn, it'll be interesting to hear what you did! FYI, I understand the whole fear of what people will think thing, and have brought the "list from my wife" for make-up, nails, etc, and bought a few guy things at the same time as a cover(for what is ON the list, other posts had some good advice). That said, the posters who said no one bats an eye at a guy buying women's stuff are absolutely right in my experience. Realistically, they probably think it's odd, as it's unlikely that any woman would send her husband to buy make-up, but so what, they don't know you. Whatever makes you comfortable.
Good advice from Kimberly on wigs, make-up etc. If there is a transformation service either near you or somewhere you travel to, they will do a makeover and teach you how to do it at the same time, if you want to get good at doing your own make-up (I don't have the patience so I just have them do mine when I go out!) The good ones are not only skilled makeup artists but have special tricks that help make a CD'ers look believable. They will also generally supply and style wigs that are flattering to your face, are age appropriate, etc. If you haven't done this, it's pretty amazing. If you have..then you already know!