Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding Request

Chari,

If you need more inspiration, have a look at this thread from the Tennessee Bridal website, which deals with a similar issue regarding male ring-bearers, flower "girls", and bridesmaids. While the last postings to it took place some time ago, the information and POV's expressed in it are likely still relevant today. Bottom line - you would not be the first, and you won't be the last, male maid of honor.

http://www.tennesseebridal.com/fashi...ringbearer.asp

Seems to me that there was also another member of this forum, "gender_blender" ("Charlie") who served in a similar capacity at a wedding some time ago, and also reported on it here, along with pictures. Check the Forum archives to see if you can locate it, if you are interested.

If the bride and groom are both comfortable with the idea, I think it's the opportunity of a lifetime. In fact, I'm a little jealous.

- Diane

If the wedding party including the bride and groom are okay with it, it is a no brainer.

I think it is a wonderful opportunity and I would jump at it. Times are changing and people need to adapt or get left behind.
    Last edited by Marleena; 04-07-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Another thing to consider is the reception. In a formal reception the bride and groom are expected to dance first, followed by the maid of honor and the best man and then by the bridesmaids and groomsmen. Even in an informal reception there will be a lot more social interaction with people with whom you aren't familiar than in the ceremony so you should be prepared for that. Alcohol should also be taken into consideration if this is a reception where folks are likely to be imbibing.

Other variations are possible. Your female side could attend the ceremony with your male side attending the reception, for example. Work out the arrangement that will work best for you, remembering of course that it is the bride's day in the spotlight.
    Last edited by Eryn; 04-07-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: "that" not "the."
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

If it's her choice, you've got to go with it. I'd do my best to make that point clear and to keep yourself out of the spotlight as possible. If she's as rebellious as she sounds, this sort of thing shouldn't be entirely unexpected, coming from her.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Its her wedding, so I think you should go along with her request. The older, less accepting will just have to deal with it.
    I agree 100%. It is her wedding, they're guests at her wedding. If they don't like it, they can leave.

Silver Member
    Many "Thanx" for all your comments and information! The wedding plans are now in motion and everyone is anxious to help organize things. An open casual meeting with my cousin (the bride to be), her fiance, parents, other wedding party members, and the minister was held to discuss traditions, procedures, and personal feelings - which amazingly all but one person was very accepting, & understanding of my involvement. It was suggested that my cousin and I go to her hairstylist/makeup consultant for me to have an "early hairstyle & makeover" to avoid any unforseen problems. My cousin believes I will "pass" without question! Will I be the MOH? The results of the makeover will determine that! If all goes well, it's off to the bridal boutique for dress selections and fittings in about two weeks. Will try to keep the forum up-to-date on progress.
    hugs, Chari

Awsomely cool... take photos if you can... I look forward to hearing the stories!
    Chickie

yea I'm so happy for you, and you are so lucky too have an accepting cousin. if all goes well please post some photos of the happy day. can't wait!!!!!!!!!

I was a male maid of honer.. wrote about it here,,, might i suggest do all the girly pre things but tux it on the day..
    Only friends can call me Amy,,, so if your reading this your a friend.

The Band QUEEN Quote " I want to be free"

Go for it. I would if I were you.