Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Coming Out" from 1 wife's point of view

Audrey Michelle's SO

"Coming Out" from 1 wife's point of view

I was sent a PM from a wonderful, concerned, and genuinely supportive CDer on this forum asking me to post my feelings about when my husband introduced me to his other side. Being that it happened this weekend, and it is still fresh it my mind, it was the perfect opportunity for me to do it. I asked (her/him) what I should say and how "real" I was supposed to keep it. (S)he told me to be as honest and straight forward as possible. That even though it may not be what the "masses" want to hear, it still needs to be said, due to the fact that there are so few of us SO's on the board in comparison to the number of CDers.

This is 1 wife's point of view. I do not speak for your SO's, so please do not get upset over something that is said and therefore take it out on your SO. I do NOT want to cause any problems in any relationships.

When I was told 2 years ago, while laying in bed, that my husband was a crossdresser, I was shocked. Please know that after making love, it is NOT the right time to spring it on her. PLEASE never do it after you ask what she considers "kinky". Bad move, dude. Not well played. But that is how I found out. We can't take it back, and we can't change it. I wasn't disgusted, but I wasn't turned on either. My brain immediately thought, "Why does he find me attractive? He is obviously gay. Well, crap.... the only man that I have ever loved this much can't return my love. What did I do that was so wrong to deserve this life?"

Not a word was said. I made him believe that I was fine, and then I started the investigation. If it were just wearing some panties, I would have been ok. But I knew there was more. So, I found: Alternate email address with emails that I could never in a million years imagine him writing to other men. Pictures of himself in the most horrible poses, showing parts of himself that I never imagined someone seeing, more less a freaking man! Websites. Adult websites where the profile was basically, "Bi Crossdresser looking for a guy to play with! I dress every night, and it turns me on!"

The switch was hit. It boiled and bubbled and spewed out of me in a rant of horrible and hateful things. I called him names that I could only imagine sent chills down his spine. I can't take it back, and I can't change it.

He admitted everything. Said he was curious and lonely. No woman had shown interest in him in over 5 years. This is where he went for affection. He begged me not to give up on him. My thoughts were "He has to be sorry for lying to me. He has to love me to beg me to stay after I hurt him so badly. He HAS to give this up."

I made him throw it all away. I want to tell you that it was his choice to purge, but looking back now, no. It was mine. I forced it upon him. I was the bad guy, but put all the blame on him.

I found this forum. I thought it was helping for a few weeks. Then I wanted to be angry and I didn't want to face it anymore, so I stopped visiting. He was NOT going to be a CDer any more, so help me God.

Two years. I held anger, fear, and every 6 months, I threatened divorce, because "He has to be lying to me about it still", "When he travels for work, he is hiding in a hotel room with a ****ty outfit and a man!", "I just KNOW that is what he is doing!" So, I called more than I should have. I fought about nothing. He was doing nothing at all, but because he "withheld" information from me ONCE, I was going crazy. He could count on me to check up on him so surely, that he could set his watch to it. He knew when the 6 month "freakout" was coming. Why he put up with me, I will never know.

He started sleep talking as "her" again. My thoughts led a different direction this time. "How can I help?" "What can I do to make this giant elephant in the room go away?" "Where do I turn?" I had no one. He had no one. This was our "problem", but I didn't have a solution.

I came back here. Had a major rant in the FAB forum. Had the most amazing woman talk to me for a total of 4 hours. I found that it WAS possible to love and live with a CD'er. I dove head first. I got to know you, therefore, I got to know that side of him. I tried to show it to him, but he blew it off. I think out of fear that it would start my "Crossdresser Wife Period", so he acted as though Erin meant nothing to him anymore. I didn't believe him.

So I pushed. We were on the couch last week, and I asked him if I could paint his nails. I wanted him to see that I was finally able to work with him. I wanted him to know that it was my fear all along that was the hinder in our relationship, and that the CD'ing was not! I wanted him to know that the clothes meant nothing to me, but that it was his history surrounding it that weighed heavily on me. So, like a normal person, I told him my fears. After 2 years, I actually was able to sit him down and tell him what I should have from the beginning. That I do love him more than I love myself. That my life would be nothing without him. That if this was what he has been missing, then who the hell am I to keep it from him. He finally said ok, and let me into this part of his world that he had blocked away for so long.

When we went shopping, I kept thinking "What if someone is judging him?!?! What if they want to take his picture and put it on the People of Walmart's website? What are those teenage girls looking at? Do they know? What are they going to tell their friends? Who the heck are they to judge my husband?!"

Then, I met her. I didn't lie when I said what happened. But there were things that I left out. "Why is he touching himself like that? He doesn't touch himself like that normally! Why is he saying things like that? He has never spoken to me like that before, and I have begged him to! Why is he so "turned on"? Do I not turn him on enough? Does he NEED to have this for himself to feel complete?

To say that I am accepting 100% is not the case. I am accepting because this is for him. To say that I am 100% supportive is wrong. I wish this wasn't a part of us, but it is. This isn't what I had in mind when I thought about my life as a wife when I was a child, but it is my reality. I could live without it, happily. I constantly envy the bliss of never knowing, and having it hidden from me. I fear the "Pink Fog". I fear some of the things that I read about how some want to live 24/7 as a woman. I fear the thought of my children finding this out and thinking differently of him. I only call him "She" on here because that is how YOU know him. But, I know everything about him. So, he is always "HIM" to me. I am not disgusted. I am not going to leave for something that could be so minor. But, I am worried. I worry about the unknown. I worry about what happens next. I worry about our life later. I worry that one day he is going to venture out into the world and become a victim of a hate crime. I worry about people we know seeing him "like that". These are fears that I am trying to work through. I have to take it step by step, and I am so blessed that he is working with me. We are getting through this together. We can have a happily ever after, and that it all I can ask for.

I may not be the best wife, but I am a wife trying her best.

The former Melissa I Michelle I's Avatar
    Erinswife:

All I can say is thank you. From what you wrote here and on another post, you are a special person. I hope for the best for both of you.

Gold Member
    The fact is....you ARE trying, and that's important. I can't imagine what it must be like for you to make this kind of discovery, but you are both showing a lot about how you feel toward each other. I imagine many SO's who are/were going thru this likely had similar experiences and fears. I would just say that, maybe one of the reasons you fell in love with him, had something to do with a softer side of his personality that is expressed as Erin. Discovering this side of him may help understand why his personality is so different (?) from many men you may have known/or now know. I would say that the way he broke the news to you was not well thought out, but that's water under the bridge and you are handling it well. Just keep talking about all the aspects of dressing that he is expressing to you, but make sure he continues to understand your feelings as well. This is NOT a take it or leave it situation, not if you both respect and love each other. Continue your journey, and remember we are here for both of you.

Gold Member
    Thanks for sharing your story. You are a very special Lady to say the least.
    I hope the Best for you and your SO.
    Rader

Your story brought tears to my eyes! One thing for sure he loves you and HE will always be with you! I feel this very strongly! His [hers] blessing is you! You are one super lady! Thank you for sharing the truth with us! I can say for sure that you open my eyes! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Miriam
    Thank you for sharing your journey. It's apparent that you've certainly gone the extra mile to discover what this is all about - and what it means specifically to your husband. I certainly can appreciate why your early reactions were so different from what you feel now, especially given the lack of information that was available to you from your husband and from our "society". I'm truly impressed that you worked hard enough to discover what it's all about.

I hope that you and your husband are able to have open, honest discussions about the important things in life, not just crossdressing, without so much fear of things hidden. The openness is incredibly refreshing for a relationship, and it has brought my wife and me closer over time.

Good luck as you move through your life together.

Miriam

Thank you for posting from a wife's point of view. I can't speak for your spouse but I have found that sometimes when one suppresses/hides something that is a part of themselves the stresses lead one to destructive behaviours and choices. This may be part of the reason for some of his choices. Whatever is happening I would suggest counselling for both of you, it has helped both myself and my wife. I hope for all of the best for both of you.

AnitaH
    I am becoming a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, I am ready to spread my wings, I have found my voice again for I am holding my head high and I am taking my power back.

“It is never too late to become what you might have been.” ~ George Eliot

HTTP://anitafog.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/anitah.fog

Erin's wife,

God bless you. As you have said, you have been dealt a hand of cards that you didn't expect. You are trying to understand something that you probably were never prepared to handle. So I truly appreciate the effort you are putting forth.

Good luck and I hope you the best.

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Important read right here folks.
    This is a similar story to my lesser published life as a CD. The whole thing rang true and gave me a slightly better understanding of my own relationship with my Mrs despite talking extensively about the subject.
    Thanks for the time you put into writing that, and thanks for not giving up on him/her what ever he/she means to you.
    Samantha -x-

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Erin'sWife. Girl you got a lot of patience. I give you credit for it is not something I could deal with. Call me what you wish but I just could not deal with it.

The irony is that everyone should have a right to be whatever they want however they want and whenever they want and nobody has any right to tell them they cant.

Of course thats a perfect world and many trans people in relationships suffer as well as thier spouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    Erin'sWife. Girl you got a lot of patience. I give you credit for it is not something I could deal with. Call me what you wish but I just could not deal with it.
    Ah, but Kate, if you had been in love with someone all your adult life and you were both committed to each other (married), you had a family together, and then he told you about this, are you sure you'd dump him just because of the CDing?
    Reine

Audrey Michelle's SO
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. It is so great when people can relate to, or learn from, someone else. I wish nothing but happiness and comfort in your lives, just as you wish in mine. I still hope that no one was offended, and I don't want anyone to fear coming out because of my story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Anne View Post
    Your story brought tears to my eyes! One thing for sure he loves you and HE will always be with you! I feel this very strongly! His [hers] blessing is you! You are one super lady! Thank you for sharing the truth with us! I can say for sure that you open my eyes! Hugs!
    Thank you. That means a lot. Tears were flowing here, too! Glad I had someone cry with me. Hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by marym View Post
    Thank you for sharing your journey. It's apparent that you've certainly gone the extra mile to discover what this is all about - and what it means specifically to your husband. I certainly can appreciate why your early reactions were so different from what you feel now, especially given the lack of information that was available to you from your husband and from our "society". I'm truly impressed that you worked hard enough to discover what it's all about.
    I am sure that if the roles were reversed, he would work just as hard to keep me. At least I would hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Thanks for the time you put into writing that, and thanks for not giving up on him/her what ever he/she means to you.
    I thought writing it would be harder, but the words poured out. I am so glad that you connected with it. I feel good about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    That would be me. With any other man, this would be a non issue. I would be gone. In a hurry! But it is THIS MAN. I still get butterflies when I kiss him. I can't throw that away

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    That was about as raw and beautiful as any statememnt I have rever read from anyone about crossdressing. Thank you, Erin's wife. This part really hits home for me:

I constantly envy the bliss of never knowing, and having it hidden from me. I fear the "Pink Fog". I fear some of the things that I read about how some want to live 24/7 as a woman. I fear the thought of my children finding this out and thinking differently of him. I only call him "She" on here because that is how YOU know him. But, I know everything about him. So, he is always "HIM" to me. I am not disgusted. I am not going to leave for something that could be so minor. But, I am worried. I worry about the unknown. I worry about what happens next. I worry about our life later. I worry that one day he is going to venture out into the world and become a victim of a hate crime. I worry about people we know seeing him "like that". These are fears that I am trying to work through.

I envy each and every one of you who have an approving or partcipating spouse. But thoughts like this I think are pretty common, and this is why I totally understand why my wife really doesn't want to know more and why the "don't ask, don't tell" approach works for so many of us.

Sure it might take a bit of patience to accept a Cd'er but the wives that do seem to be doing fine as long as the relationship was good to begin with.

Erin's wife is proof the obstacle can be overcome with love and communication.
    Last edited by Marleena; 04-09-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsWife View Post
    When we went shopping, I kept thinking "What if someone is judging him?!?! What if they want to take his picture and put it on the People of Walmart's website? What are those teenage girls looking at? Do they know? What are they going to tell their friends? Who the heck are they to judge my husband?!"
    Wow. You share the same thoughts about protectiveness that my wife has expressed to me so you're definitely not alone.

But, I am worried. I worry about the unknown. I worry about what happens next. I worry about our life later. I worry that one day he is going to venture out into the world and become a victim of a hate crime. I worry about people we know seeing him "like that". These are fears that I am trying to work through. I have to take it step by step, and I am so blessed that he is working with me. We are getting through this together. We can have a happily ever after, and that it all I can ask for.
    I know that many of us as guys think "Of course, we can handle ourselves anywhere" but when dressed it is much more important to consider the situation and take precautions. Your concern is touching and you very much deserve the happily ever after that you're seeking

I may not be the best wife, but I am a wife trying her best.
    That's all we can ever ask!

I think one of the most amazing things about what you wrote isn't just what you've done with Erin, but the fact that you are able to reach out, share your experiences, and help others find their way all at the same time. All of that while still dealing with the internal turmoil over the situation, amazing. Not only that, but you write eloquently and clearly leave your heart in the words.

Keep doing all the amazing things you do!

-Bree

Erinswife, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. You've obviously been on quite a ride and I think that your frank description will be helpful to others. Very few of our relationships are perfect and you're to be commended for your committment to Erin.

The beauty of your current situation is that you're in a position to participate in the guidance of yours and Erin's future. Erin will very likely be respectful of your views as I am with my Mimi's views.

Enjoy your adventure together. It won't be perfect, but I'm willing to bet that it will be a lot of fun!

Hugs, Eryn
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    What a courageous post, E's wife! Thank u!

For ME, it clearly defines; how wonderful, different, in touch with themselves, and unfathomable the female of the species is! I can only hope it all works out well for u BOTH!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

You are indeed doing your best, and part of that is your honesty about yourself.
    Lisa

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Thank you so much for writing this. At times it is difficult to interpret what is written and happens in these threads. Your candidness is so reassuring to many, and especially to me right now. My coming out, and subsequent activities are not similar, and my wife's initial reactions did not involve the depth that yours did. I marvel at your ability to come back from those and develop your relationship to the point it is at now.

My wife's feelings right now do parallel what you have said. From what you two are doing, I have hope that given the proper amount of time (she has only known for 4 months) she will begin to recognize the things you do now and move away from the dont ask dont tell, keep her in the dark, dont let me see things approach she feels she needs. Right now what she needs is what we do, because I love her and want to keep her as close to me as possible. i am unsure if what i do works at times.

Your experience, and the manner in which you relate it here has helped ease my worried soul, and I know it has done this for many others also. I cannot express my gratitude to you for taking the time, and dredging up old memories.

Thank you

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Audrey Michelle's SO
    Barbara,

I am so happy that it helps you! It will get easier on her. Please invite her to read it, maybe it will help her, too. I hope it all works out in your favor. Tell her you love her with a little extra kiss. Make her feel wanted. Make her know that your life revolves around her and not Barbara Ella. That is all we want to know. We want to be 100% sure that you want to be here for US, and that we still make your heart beat a little bit faster when we are around. Never take us for granted. Especially after dressing. Our worst fear is that you love "her" more than you love us.

...Our worst fear is that you love "her" more than you love us.
    I think that I can set your mind at ease on this account.

My feminine side is a part of me, the me that loves my wife. There is no competition at all. When I'm en femme with my wife our interaction may be a bit different, but my wife remains the center of my universe.

I'm willing to bet that you occupy the same position with your husband no matter how he is dressed.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Thank you for your honest perspective. It's a good reminder that it's more complicated.
    [SIZE="2"]
    I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.
    Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]
    John 13:34
    [/SIZE]
    Find me: Google+

What an interesting and informative picture you paint. Your perseverence will pay you handsome dividends your husband will love you more and respect you for understanding. You wil have a better understanding of his personality.
    While it must have been painfull for you you will be boded together even more firmly and you can be assured of his loyalty.
    Thank you for showing us your side of the picture.

I have to thank you for sharing your story with us. It is always nice to get to see this all from the wife's point of view.

It sounds like you are doing an outstanding job at accepting this. It must be extremely difficult at times. But all that anyone could ask is that you do the best you can. And that will make you the best wife.

Thanks again for sharing.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

You are intitled to all the anger that comes with the feelings that you were lied to and cheated on. as a CDer when I told my wife I felt the pain of having to dump all this information on her. I still hold this guilt and will work for the rest of our time togeather to prove to her that I do want her and am the MAN she married. This is the least I can do for the woman I love and care for. It is not her burden to carry the world I have created on her sholders, if I don't understand what I am doing how can I expect her to understand or accept it, all we ask is for the exchange of love that any couple would have. the best of luck to both of you.
    .... and someday I too will become a butterfly screamed the catapiller!!!