Thread: To post or NOT to post?

Complex Lolita...

To post or NOT to post?

[SIZE="2"]“How can he possibly resist the diabolical urge to push the BUTTON and erase his very existence?” (from Ren & Stimpy)

To post or not to post? That is the question, whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of inflammatory verbiage, even though, at times, it may seem like a good idea to strike back. More specifically, do we ignore, or cease to ignore, a call to action that will surely backfire? Good question...

Last night I saw a thread started by someone on my “ignore list.” I couldn’t read the OP, but the title intrigued me. My curiosity thus piqued, I almost immediately began to hatch a scheme. Perhaps I could use the opportunity at hand to get back at the person who had wronged me, by posting a witty, sarcastic remark that was a denouncement in disguise. This sounded like fun at the time, so I set about writing the brief, offending blurb in my mind – it was easy to choose the right words, but I forgot why this particular person had been banished (by me) in the first place...

This morning I wrote a few posts, and, after starting off slowly, the words seemed to flow. I had a page of stuff, ready to submit, so I added my little riposte against the aforementioned semi-adult urchin. Hee-hee! Cute. I’ll just pop it in during submission time, and then I can slip away before anyone knows I’m there. I DID submit some other things I had written, having no problem at all in hitting the “submit” button, but those were benign next to my potentially “hot” post. When the time came, I pasted the latter into the little box they provide here, and I previewed how it would look in situ. I made a tiny adjustment, and a devilish grin came over my made-up face. I was ready to “do the act,” but a funny thing happened on the way to submission...

My perfectly manicured fingertip hovered over the mouse button, but I couldn’t pull the trigger. I had come this far, but I just couldn’t go through with it! I mean, I yanked the offending member out of purgatory (the ignore list), read what “she” said, uttered a barely suppressed “Hmph,” was inspired to act upon it, and I wrote something that was the feminine equivalent of venting one’s spleen. Poised at the brink, I could not jump, and I removed my words, backed out of the MtF section, put the person back in the concentration camp of ignorance, and logged off. As soon as I got up out of my chair, I felt better, like I had cheated masculinity or something. I didn’t “lower” myself, either, but that may sound somewhat pompous...

I’ve been here a while now, and I want to come across a certain way – the whole thing is more like an exercise in self-control, and less like a discussion about panties (to me). No doubt about it, I’ve hurt people in the past, and I’ve hurt people HERE, but I’m actively trying to forge a new “me” via crossdressing. If I’m going to embrace effeminacy and all of its virtues, then I need to bury this confrontational nonsense that taints the feelings males could have. In short, turn the other cheek, and don’t look back from whence you came – keep moving away from the person you were before you began to crossdress. If it was only about the clothes, or the orgasm, I would not be dressing this way and letting masculinity melt away unchecked. Your goals may be at odds with mine, but I seek positive change...

A new friend told me, just a few days ago, that she doesn’t judge anyone around here. That one little statement humbled me with its undeniable simplicity – how beautiful, and yet I still found myself trying to even the score with some “old” enemy. Invisible hands are guiding me, and they kept me from pushing the “submit” button, thus saving me from an embarrassing faux pas. I feel very ashamed that I would even think of doing something malicious against another member, no matter how subtle I meant it to be, even though the recipient of my scorn REALLY hurt me some time ago. Despite this, or perhaps because of it, our borderline participant feels like she may not "fit in" around here after all – would it hurt to GIVE something in the form of support, and not EXPECT anything in return? Obviously, those members who are positive and supportive keep participating for the sake of others, happy to be of service, getting little in return...

I admire the girls who maintain their cool around here, and I dearly wish to be one of them. Not to do so is a negation of all I hold dear, and I see little incidents like the one I have described as cracks in the façade. We are all being tested, I suppose, by those who would do us harm, but it takes effort to shun the trolls, avoid controversy, and stay in balance. One thing that gets to me is the idea that, if I post something that doesn’t sound like “me,” I will tarnish the relationship I have with my friends, or those who are familiar with my style in a peripheral sense. I really can’t allow THAT to happen, so I walk away before I do harm to them or me. Just last night a member, relatively new, was complaining about something trivial – she resembled a form of bull, carrying her own china shop with her, while I was hunkered down amongst the tea sets. I couldn’t help but notice the troller’s challenge, so I posted something censorious, yet positive (keep in mind I’m trying to raise my post total). I was sure that was a waste of my time, which it was, but I did it anyway...

Support is paramount around here, and I wish to do my share. I post only if I can add something meaningful to a discussion, conscious of the fact that no two of us are alike – there are many topics that I CAN’T post about, so I steer clear of places where I’m neither welcome nor well-informed. In many ways, I’m in the back of the room, watching the proceedings, waiting for an opening where I can insert a comment. In this atmosphere, I simply cannot understand why anyone, any “she,” would go to great lengths to spoil the fun, or make someone uncomfortable, but perhaps I should look in the mirror. I used to be just like this, but my crossdressing, my beloved immersion in all things feminine, colorful, and beautiful, saved my soul. There are many true individuals on this site who guide me through the rough spots, and for that I am truly grateful. Meanwhile, I try to ignore those who take issue with what I write or what I represent. I don’t hold grudges, in fact I am quick to accept apologies, but you need to be self-aware at all times...

Do you STOP before hitting the “submit” button? Do you think before you post something?

Here’s another unsolicited piece of advice for newbies: USE the ignore list! If you don’t like what someone says about something you’ve written, banish them to limbo – you’re in charge, after all, and you’re responsible for weeding your own garden. Let the flowers grow unhindered by banishing the dark clouds, and let the sunshine in...
    [/SIZE]

Brilliant Post Freddie!

I strongly recommend that we read the post before we press the red button! I am always editing mine for typos! But sometimes it is worse... texts, emails, always read before sending! And even better, read it through the eyes of your arch-nemesis! What could they get you on? Not that I am paranoid... I am not paranoid... no never... ever... hang on I'll just read this through before I press Post... Gosh I have just rewritten the whole thing! But is it right?
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

a bit nutty
    Yikes!
    How would one know if they've been banished? Is the offending person aware they've offended or are they just "tossed" in the trash, oblivious to the fact they may have said something stupid or unintentionally malicious? I haven't banished anyone, and there have been those that I maybe should have. I don't know. I always give people the chance to redeem themselves, this way I get to discover if they really are a$$holes, or that they were having a rough go the day they were posting.
    The reality is that I really don't KNOW any of the people here, let alone what's REALLY in their heads. Many of us work under aliases, writing our most personal thoughts to total strangers in the security of thinking that they will never know our true identity. I hope that people don't judge me too harshly. I try to write from the heart and I never make stuff up. My writing skills are mediocre at best so if I offend, I really am oblivious to it until I get a negative reaction.

Anyway, Ren and Stimpy ROCK! I'm so happy to see a reference to "the big, shiny, candy-like button!" brings back memories!

Aspiring Member
    You drive me crazy! Every thread you post is so well written and thought provoking that I have to make sure that I have enough time to digest everything that you have said. Most times I have to read your thread twice and sometimes three times because you touch on so many topics and suddenly they all come together to have meaning.

When I visit this site, I want to have fun, relax and enjoy what each of us brings to our predicament or situation, so to speak. You make me use my brain and at my age if my post is too long, I have forgotten what I started out trying to say. Yes, I edit but everytime I re-read what I have typed, I am changing a word here or there or adding a phrase or description for fear of being put into the ignore column.

Plus now you are forcing me go back through all the threads that have been posted the last couple of days and try to find out who the person you are ignoring. How diabolical!! I am certainly happy that I haven't started a thread recently.

Most of us don't have the verbal range or the ability to say what we mean in such an elegant manner as you are able to do. Please continue posting and making us think and enjoy your contributions.

Miriam
    Now you've piqued my curiosity, Freddy. All I've known is the last two months of thoughtful, beautiful prose - apparently since the transmogrification (see Calvin and Hobbes for that one). Now I might have delve into your ugly past just to see.

I fully agree that any angry or harsh statement should be considered, revised, considered again, revised again, and then perhaps discarded, before publishing. This goes for posts, email, facebook comments, or any other means of delivering a message. I only wish I could do the same for oral conversation.

I can't help but wonder it your transformation might have more to do with general maturing than with crossdressing. Many of us have learned to better manage our emotions and outlook as we've become full adults (generally reserved to the 50+ crowd). I've seen this effect in many of my friends, and I don't think all of them are crossdressers - in fact, I don't know for a fact or suspicion that any of them are. I'm proud of my own growth in this area, but ascribe it much more to therapy while dealing some very difficult non-crossdressing circumstances. For whatever reason it came about though, I'm glad it did.

Congratulations on your growth, and thanks for being the person I've known for my time on here.

Miriam

I know the thread you refer to and I was surprised to see you a part of that.

I suppose the same forces that shape our sensitivities also open us to being wounded.

I see you as the final line of your threads, "With love, Frédérique" but I'm glad that you have the courage to show that you have a darkside, the wisdom to recognize it and the compassion to resist it.

It is oh so difficult to be human with all that we must carry inside, why make the journey more difficult for others than it already is. Much of what we do is nothing more than the expression of our pain and sometimes you can do much good by giving people the needed room to express it. The pain of others only harms us if we believe its message otherwise it is unreal.

This for me is one of your most beautiful pieces, a sonnet to our shadow. Everything that you expressed is in everyone but it is not seen until we desire to transcend it. Than looking back from where we have come we understand what we were and could have stayed, breathing a sigh of relief that we our less monstrous than we could have been with the awareness that the monster inside still lives.

What's an ignore list? I prefer my own filtering abilities over automation any day of the week. Use ignore and one is bound to miss a good train wreck or two.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

But you did it anyway. Laid the person, on your ignore list, out. Called them out without naming them. Not really like you, but it was what you wrote about. Your finger did fall on the mouse in the end. Oh well. Now we know who you have on your ignore list.

Don't worry. I have one in my head also.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Another nicely written post Freddy! It was another mystical journey through the eyes of Freddy as she sees the world around her.

Me, I've been part of some the train wrecks Sara mentioned. The need to defend others against tyranny sometimes gets the better of me. I don't feel bad about it though because those people have shown lack of respect or compassion for others. My stepping up probably had no effect on them anyways, but oh well.. I suspect all is not well in their own lives so they feel the need to makes others feel bad too. Or maybe it's just their personality that developed after years of turmoil, I don't really know for sure.

I tried the ignore button but curiosity always got the better of me.

Aspiring Member
    I'm giving you all the silent treatment......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .!

Miriam
    Nicely said, Silk. Thank you.

We can't change others, especially with negative words. But we can shape ourselves, and strive always to maintain our own dignity. Every time we slam someone or shut them out, we are reduced.

I'm reminded of a recent personal experience. My college-age son really, really screwed up while left alone in the house while we were on vacation. He expected me to blow up severely, as I might have done in years past. When I failed to meet his expectations even after a week at home, he asked me about it and I just responded that, no matter what has happened, I will not let him take my dignity from me, and that's what would happen if I "lost it".

The same goes here. I win when I can respond positively to even the negative voices. I haven't always won, but I try. I have great admiration for those of you who managed to do this consistently even after years on this forum.

Miriam

When I joined the forum a little more than a year ago, I really did not know what to expect from the membership. The funny thing is, I did not know what to expect from myself, either. In fact, at the time, as odd as it may seem, I doubt I could have articulated the precise reasons for joining this forum.

Up until that point of my life, in regard to my transgendered nature, I had always been a loner. I was deeply in the closet. I did not believe I needed anyone else. And I was unknowingly and unwittingly serving a prison term in solitary confinement of my own volition, created by my own hand. Anne only knew my wife, and no one else. This was good enough, until it no longer was.

But something that I just can’t quite place my finger on compelled me to join. It was there, whispering at first in the background, slowly rising in volume and making its way to the foreground, until I could no longer ignore and deny its call. In this, I somehow unequivocally knew it was necessary that I join, that I must join. So join I did.

And quickly, to my surprise, like the rest of you, I was welcomed into this magnificent haven with open arms, and heartfelt, sincere, warm greetings. I was quite blown away by it all, to say the least. Within the span of a few clicks of my mouse, my world all of a sudden became soooo much larger.

During those first days of membership, while still basking in the glory and glow of the innocence, wonder, awe, and excitement of the forum, those first precious moments that are so often experienced and cherished by new forum members, I saw only the magic and beauty of all that was around me within the forum.

Having met so many wonderful girls early on, including you, Freddy, I knew that I wanted to establish friendships here. Until then, actually, I had not ever knowingly communicated with a crossdresser or member of the transgendered community before. Then bam – y’all were everywhere! In a very real way, I felt like I had found and established a new home.

It was a beautiful, fantastic time for me, and one which I enjoyed very much. I believed that no member could or would desecrate the sanctity of this electronic refuge, or insult the hallowed halls of this exceptional retreat.

Of course, every segment of society is tainted by pockets of indifference, selfishness, spite, and by those who have little regard for their fellow beings and their respective feelings and emotions. I thought this forum, though, was different. I thought it was a utopia of sorts.

As a result, I did not ask myself why this forum should be any different than this rest of the world. I simply accepted that it was, and allowed myself to become delicate and fragile within the happiness I had discovered (despite explicit warnings from certain members via PM to avoid doing exactly this).

Invariably, as some are wont to do, and given the manner in which I exposed my emotions for all to see, there were a few here that saw me as prey. They swooped down, and attempted to shatter my carefully crafted world with insult, aggression, and injurious intentions. I also admit it – I was hurt very much by these attacks. I was saddened. But I also became angry.

During one attack in particular, I sought blood in response. I sought to completely strip the offending member of all credibility, and make bare “her” malicious nature for all to see in the forum. I spent time crafting my response and counter attacks. I found the perfect words for doing so. I reduced my responses to writing, performed the necessary tweaks in edit mode, and then hit the “submit” button.

I remember quite specifically the last counter attack response I submitted in retaliation against this member. Not even ten minutes elapsed before I began to experience massive pangs of guilt and regret. I felt absolutely horrible. Even though through my words I may have “won,” I really lost that day. I was quite ashamed of myself that I had allowed myself to engage in such a battle with another member, and I was embarrassed. Upon this recognition, I immediately deleted my retaliation posts, and replaced them with a note of apology for any who cared to view. I also messaged a personal apology to the members that had responded after my posts, but before I was able to delete them. Last, I request the mods close the thread, which they thankfully did.

The thing is, the other member was wrong to attack me. I would not hurt a fly. I am here in peace and fellowship. It is my intent to make friends, not enemies. But I was also wrong to attack back. Although I had been hurt and betrayed by this member, it did not serve the well-being of anyone to seek an eye for an eye.

As you will recall, Freddy, it was you who first advised me of the ignore list. I placed this member on my list, and that’s exactly where she is to this day. For those that may be curious, I do believe the offending member left the forum shortly thereafter, for whatever it is worth, but I digress . . . .

Fortunately, this forum IS an incredible resource, and it IS comprised of a fantastic membership. A vast majority of the members here are a gentle, kind, and caring folk. There are few personal attacks here, they may be far and few in between, but they do occur from time to time, so be aware. But you should not allow the naysayers to detract from your experience here. There is much good and friendship to be found within this fantastic forum.

In the event, though, you have taken the time to actually read through all of this ridiculously and unnecessarily long prose (and if you have, I do apologize for it all), I just want to say that I am glad you did not hit the “send” button, Freddy, and thank you for being you.

Anne

There is nothing better then to see a persons true ''color'' come out when that color is beautiful! I can only commend you for showing that beautiful color and not lowering yourself to a strandard that's not becoming to a person of that beautiful color! Thank you for the reminder ''if I can't speak well of someone I will not speak ill of them! A big to you!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    I've grown better about when I use my inside voice and when I use my outside voice (er, keyboard). I try to be positive and encouraging and I've found lately, that rather than posting a critical comment, I'll try to ask a question that might lead an individual in the same direction as a critical post, but without the potentially hurtful tone.

In my professional life I've hit the send key and later regretted it too...after a while you realize that like words, you can't take an email back.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    When I joined the forum a little more than a year ago, I really did not know what to expect from the membership. The funny thing is, I did not know what to expect from myself, either. In fact, at the time, as odd as it may seem, I doubt I could have articulated the precise reasons for joining this forum.

Anne
    Oh darnit! Anne you made me scroll again! lol.

I wasn't going to quote all of that!

Freddy, still you make me smile as I listen to the wind and watch as we grow. We as humans still have a part that wants all to go as planned but we all know that this is not possible. We all have our thoughts and we are in charge of our own universe, it is human nature to want to protect what is dear to us, even if it is a post on a site like this. Carry on, don't let your finger hover around the button for to long it might change what you write and that would be the biggest loss of all. Love the wit and freeshness of your words. Wonderwho
    .... and someday I too will become a butterfly screamed the catapiller!!!