Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big oops moment

Big oops moment

I was at work when my wife calls me. She supports me with what I do. I have told my brother, who is also supportive. My wife tells me my nephew (14y/o) was over at our home. My wife said she was watching him for my sister, and all of a sudden, he says he "knows about" my female side. My wife asked him how, and didn't even think about it.

My nephew was bored, and she was using our desktop. She gave him my laptop while I was gone, and told him to have fun. Apparently, instead of having fun, he was looking through my work folders, reading reports, and looking at different pictures. Needless to say, he came across a folder containing pictures of Jessica. Nothing crazy as I don't do that, but ones like my profile pic. So, now, I'm at work, around all of my coworkers thinking how in the world am I going to talk to him about this one.

I sit down with him when I get home and try to get him to say what he saw. Finally, he just out and asked me "Why do you wear women's clothes?" while I was playing a video game with him. Oh jeeze. I told him some people do what I do. It doesn't change who I am, and I will never bring her around him. I'm still his uncle. I said some other things, and to my surprise, he said "I think it's really cool. I don't think you're weird." So, I leave for some things for dinner, and even my wife tells me when I got back that he told her it was "Cool that I did that."

After I thought it was all over, he asks me to walk with him outside. Teens never ask to go for a walk. My sister has him and two other girls. He tells me he doesn't talk with them about most things. Then, he asks about sex. Jeeze. This kid was killing me! Anyway, instead of causing a huge freakout, I think things were good. I feel tons closer to my nephew, and he continuously calls to come over now, when he rarely did before. My sister apologized for him looking through my computer (which I told her I didn't care he did really). She knows about my dressing, and I apologized to her for the whole thing, but she told me "You have nothing to apologize for. It's Snoopy's fault." This whole thing turned out way better than I ever thought it would. Just figured I would share.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Overall a very good story, You handled it very well.
    You have a good kid there.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Hi Jessica

Maybe this is good news for all of us. If the rest of the younger generation like your nephew are more accepting of us, then it means a brighter future for all.

A great story.

Natasha

Thanks for sharing Jessica! I love a story that ''could'' of been a nightmere and it turns out with a happy ending! You proved you are a great Uncle! Hugs!!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

We all stumble through life and trip over, sometimes we recover better than we think.
    Kids never play with someone else's computer. They just go on exploring and expanding their knowledge.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

There’s hope yet. I think if the parents are narrow minded and bigoted then their children could be the same way but if the parents are more open minded and accepting, such as your sister in law obviously is, then their children could also be more accepting. Jessica’s experience is a sign, maybe, that society and attitudes are changing slowly.(Or should that be VERY slowly).

A very level-headed reaction on your part ensured the entire situation was handled with perfection. Nicely done Jessica!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Hi Jessica sounds like you have a wonderful family and a great nephew if only eveyone could be as excepting as he is we would be living in a better world you are a very lucky person Hugs Ronda
    hugs
    Ronda

Platinum Member
    You really have a great family, and you handled this potentially difficult situation with such grace and maturity. It's no wonder your nephew looks up to you.

The last 2 sentences from Beverley are just why there is a password lock on my laptop and iphone..

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley128 View Post
    We all stumble through life and trip over, sometimes we recover better than we think.
    Kids never play with someone else's computer. They just go on exploring and expanding their knowledge.

I think that's great for you! And who knows? We may have another little lady up and coming!!!!

Wow that turned out awesome Jessica! Nicely handled and the nephew has given you celebrity status.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondawants View Post
    I think that's great for you! And who knows? We may have another little lady up and coming!!!!
    Yes, the fact that he's hanging out with you all the time now....I expect at some point he'll ask your advice on dressing himself.

Enjoyed your positive note.

You are a great uncle. The kind of uncle (aunt?) I always want to be. The one you they can come to f they can't talk to parents. The kind they can trust. My nephew (and niece) know about me and have for years. My nephew used to dress for clubbing and we have been out together. He moved into my house at 8 years old so maybe there is a little paternal thing with us (his mom and dad are divorced) and this year I think he is 36. Wow. What really scares me is his mom says he looks up to me and has wanted to be like me. I want to be like him, he has taught himself three languages (Gaelic for one), he can program any computer and writes software, plays the guitar and drums and piano (all self taught)...well you get the idea.

I am glad your nephew trusts you. It really shows that when a family is open minded and tight, that they can share anything. Having a family who is like that is worth all the money in the world. Trust me, it is a lucky thing for you.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Thank you all for replying. I laughed when I saw "Uncle/Aunt" because he called me his "only aunt" the other day. What a crazy kid. We are keeping him for a week while my sister is on vacation. She just got engaged and needs "alone time" lol.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Platinum Member
    Both your experience and Lorileah's illustrate how important a concerned and caring adult can be in the life of a child. And you know, the fact that you were both able to be open and honest about yourselves, spoke volumes to your nephews. they knew and know that when things get tough, and when they are faced with huge challenges, they can count on you for real, honest answers and unqualifed love.

Smile

Yey!!! there is hope in upcoming generations!!! You have a great family. Always be there for that kid, he is something else. Kudos!!!
    Lov'n it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Both your experience and Lorileah's illustrate how important a concerned and caring adult can be in the life of a child. And you know, the fact that you were both able to be open and honest about yourselves, spoke volumes to your nephews. they knew and know that when things get tough, and when they are faced with huge challenges, they can count on you for real, honest answers and unqualifed love.
    Quoted for truth and emphasis.

He knows that you trust him with a secret in your life, so therefore you must respect his respect and respect secrets in his life. Does he have his father (or any type of father figure) around? If not, you probably just became that figure in his eyes. I know from a little personal experience (nothing I am going to get into on this thread) that as a guy, sometimes you need another guy to talk to (even if you are a guy who likes panties and skirts or if that guy likes panties and skirts :P) because certain guy things and certain guy thoughts happen and you don't want to discuss them with a woman.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

Gold Member
    Well I guess the cat is out of the bag. But next time, think of using a pass word on your special files.
    Rader

What a sweet story! I'm a sucker for happy endings.
    Sally

What a great Aunt!! Maybe coming from a home with all females, and having a really cool aunt now, might want to have a talk with him if this is something he would like to try? Might have trendicies of his own, just doesn't know how to go about it. We all started sometime in our youth. Seeing that he is now wanting to spend more time with you and knowing dressing is a ok thing to do. Just thinking out loud.

BobbieB
    To Dream of the Person you want to be Is to Waste the Person you are. unknown

And like the song: What doesn't kill you, can't hurt you.

Makeup addict!
    Talk about a bad situation becoming great. I have to admit it seems odd to me that a male would say to you that it was cool that you crossdress. Maybe he has some interest in crossdressing himself

I am glad everything worked out for you and I think it is great that a 14 year old boy can be so "adult" about his discovery.

For those girls who have to share a computer (laptop/desktop) I have a somewhat easy, but very secure way to hide your history. Although I do not have an issue with my wife, I have some adult children at home that I don't want to have to explain anything to at this time.

I downloaded a virtual program from Oracle call VirtualBox. It is installed very easily and is free. I also downloaded a version of Linux call OpenSUSE which also installs quite easily and is also free. It comes preloaded with Firefox and I am using this setup as I write this post.

VirtualBox can be hidden so as to not be obvious and Linux can be secured by password. Unless you SO is computer literate, this is one way to keep your history to yourself and away from curious nephews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica86 View Post
    Thank you all for replying. I laughed when I saw "Uncle/Aunt" because he called me his "only aunt" the other day. What a crazy kid. We are keeping him for a week while my sister is on vacation. She just got engaged and needs "alone time" lol.
    How great is that! Enjoy your time together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club