Thread: females of Height

Yes, this is really me! shayleetv's Avatar
    In a bedroom community outside Salt Lake City, Utah.

females of Height

After reading a number of posts from our taller girls about not passing because of their height I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. Tall people are always looked at because they are different. Some of you girls are afraid of your height because you don’t think you can pass. You are looked at because you are tall and stand out but think of this; there are plenty of tall women out there that get stared at because they stand out and not because someone thinks they are a man in women’s clothes. I know a woman who is 6’3” in bare feet she is a genetic woman, I know because she gave birth the same day to her third boy when my wife gave birth to our fifth child. We have been friends for a long time before the birthing encounter. I saw her over at Costco the other day and chatted with her for a moment. She made me feel small next to her because she was wearing her high- heeled cowgirl boots, they must have been three inches high making her about five inches taller than me at 6’1”. She didn’t look much different than some of our tall gals on this site.

Let me first tell you that I was trained by my mother from an early age on how to observe human behavior. Her form of entertainment during the depression was to go to town and watch the pedestrians walking about their business. This carried over into the forties during the war until my father had a more lucrative job and she then could go to the movies instead. I learned from mom how to watch people so that they didn’t know they were being watched and not self-conscience of being looked at. Believe when I tell you this is really a skill.

I positioned myself so I could see my friend and the people around her doing their shopping and watched the reaction when they saw her. Yes, people did stop and stare. I was close enough to hear some remarks. Not one person I heard doubted her gender just remarked how tall she was. I will concede that she has an air of confidence about her and is proud of her height. Maybe that is the key to pulling to passing is to be proud and confident about your size.

My wife and I went shopping the other day and at the restaurant we had lunch at a very nice restaurant. A very tall and attractive girl came in with another girl who I would say was average size girl. Another opportunity to make some more observations. She was head and shoulders over her friend and those who saw her stopped and stared and lots of people turned their heads to crane a look. There were four guys seated next to our table and could hear everything they said before and after she made her appearance. They were twenty something and crude and rude in all they said, but nothing as to a doubtful gender.

I read somewhere in a blog site of a psychologist that worked with TS girls, she said that only about 40% of us girls have the ability to pass as real women. If your desire is to pass in public then there is a lot of work that needs to happen on order for that to work for you. I have had complimentary comments about the way I look on this site. Most have come from portraits where controlling light and angles make it happen. But if you were to see me as only my wife does (in the closet) but without all the tricks in lighting, you would see a very masculine looking woman that definitely does not pass. Then if you fit in my mold you should be like my friend Kathy Lake who just has fun and doesn’t worry about passing but be the very best you can be. And I bet there are times no one questions in their minds if what they see as Kathy is what she looks like a real woman. Just because of the confidence she exhibits.

LESSON ONE be proud of who you are and be confident. Study the small things women do. Passing is not just walking like a woman but what do you do when you are just there, standing or sitting. I love looking and watching people and appreciating the qualities that make us individuals, it is the cheapest most fun entertainment I know.

Sorry for the length of my post!
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

Platinum Member
    I don't concern myself with passing, but I do my best to minimize my masculine features and accentuate the positives. Since I can't read peoples minds I really don't know how quickly I am read. There are times when I've certainly blended in quite well and even had some doors held open by polite gentlemen. All despite the fact that I'm 6'2" in bare feet.

I do keep an eye out for other tall women. Ive seen a number who are at least my height and a number who were a good deal heavier. So while I don't feel I really pass I am confident that I don't attract unfavorable attention or scare small children either.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 04-25-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Kindle typos

At almost six foot six, in barefeet, I thank you for the helpful thread. Lack of confidence is one of my biggest problems, both in drag or drab! Toxic family shame, too. I have been intimidated by very tall gg's, am just used to looking down at almost all of them. In my age range (57), there does not seem many single tall gg's in the area where i live.

I agree it is more about confidence and presentation than looking 100% female. Alot of women don't meet the ideal image that everyone has of the perfect woman. I have seen several tall women and I don't worry about my height when I go out. My shoulders are way to obvious to worry about my height!

Ive seen a bunch of realy tall an large chix in the stores while I was shopping an they were the real deal an no one even look at them twice ,,Its all attidude ,,If you look spooky they will treat you as such ,,If you go in an act like the rest yull be fine . An I agree ,, That most could use some time to go out an just sit an observe woman in action not just watching them for a moment while your out ,,Go out to just watch them ,,, An then yull see how to act . There are realy not alot of real girly girls out there most just fit one mold an if you stay in it it will all work out .
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

I've noticed that as GGs get really tall they often start to share some physical characteristics with us taller CDers who would like to emulate them, such as narrowly-proportioned hips and deeper voices. What these GGs don't share is self-doubt They know that they are GGs and the thought of being "made" doesn't even cross their mind. I try to put myself in the same mindset.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

At 6'06" I rarely look up at anyone. My wife is very short, maybe 5'02". We are already looked at weird when we go places. Some have even said things like "It's nice for you to take your little sister shopping." OUCH! I just figured I would wear flats in public. Three inch heels and I will look like Larry Bird in drag. LOL.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Hi,

Im not tall at 5 ,9 , yet my women friends most are around 5, 6 , some are my height . now in heels ill do just under 6 foot in 4 in's & my others are 5 , 11.in 3 in's,

Most of the time im in flats, Now i do know some of the women are very tall. yet nobody cares its how we are, & really what difference does it make ,

We are all different any way so why pick on one detail about a person when we have a lot more to offer,

...noeleena...

Is your wig perfect? your makeup? Does your brow or nose look masculine? Are your hands large? Shoulders broad? Size 12 feet? is your torso as thick as your chest or hips...etc etc, etc..
    very few truly pass...and there are lots of tells outside of height...height is admittedly important if you want to be ignored, but so be it..if you look the part,
    people will treat you well even tho they may know you are crossdressing

Look inside to go outside

...if you don't want to go outside, don't beat yourself up over it...just enjoy who you are and how you are

My hero, Andrej, towering over others at a fashion show:

I used to think about that all the time when I wore my heels since I'm 6'. Then I realized just how many tall women there are in the world.
    People will look at you if you are tall, if you are skinny, if you are overweight, if you are ugly, if you are gorgeous.

We are social beings....people are curious and will always look
    Stand tall, hold your head up and think to yourself, "I belong here".

It's a matter of Attitude, not Altitude....
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Very strong advice which I have 100% agreement with you! I am 6ft 8 and in the early years when I was starting out I did not pass and it was not because of my height! My mom was very tall and she did get sired a few times and one time it happened when she was 8 months pregnant! To see black folk turn read is classic! Being 5 inches taller than her I I had a great role model for how to carry myself which is how I dress now.

However as I was saying in the early years I looked like a guy in a dress and it was several things that screamed it! So what I did is observed women of all sizes and began setting goals and my first goal was to work on my clothing. I did not have clothes that worked for my body shape which said allot along with my make up was not even right for me.

Fast forward to today where after years of searching for my style I have found my style and when out I do look at peoples reactions now and I have not had many "that's a dude" looks. I for the most part am treated like any other woman which now for me I have been doing most of my errands as a woman and I come to the conclusion that while out at night I need to be careful while out alone! So passing is in ones attitude and how you feel about yourself

Silver Member
    Height doesn't matter...

I even had an older guy at a gas station the other day get all googlie-eyed and try to tell me (in broken english) that i'm beautiful with my height. I think he would have had a heart attack if I asked him if he was free that night

If you're a girl in public, you're going to get attention. That's just how it is.

I get looks because I'm a tall woman. When I'm out with my boyfriend, we get looks because he is a short man with a tall woman. I don't get looks because I'm 'too tall to be a woman and must therefor be a man'.

as many of the girls here have already said having confidence is a really big key. My therapist actually talked about this, she said that the most important part is not the outside though she gave me love for coming en femme, but she said well the whole session was having the confidence on the inside, if you can pass on the inside then I will have no problems. Many times I sorta self doubt myself its something I have to work on, not about height but in general.
    FB profile, always need more friends. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002715523614

I think way too many people here use height as a convenient excuse as to why they won't pass. No one would mistake Brooke Sheilds, Frederique Van Der Wall, Kathy Ireland, Paulina Poriskova, Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova, of being guys, yet every single one of them is around six feet tall. Let's be honest and admit that there are simply some nearly always dead give aways about guys anatomy (not to mention, behavior and anatomy inspired body movements) that make people notice that 'something's not quite right' with the image they are seeing. As much as it feels good to pretend that we look as feminine as GG's do, it's also important to keep at least one foot in the world of reality.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.