Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yer out! (No, you're safe)

Yer out! (No, you're safe)

Hi, Guys and Girls!

My son threw me a real curve ball Monday night. He moved to Dublin a couple of months ago to take up a new job, while I live about 100 miles away. Monday night we were texting each other via Skype, and he said that since he had Wednesday off, he’d like to come up for the day—go for a walk in the country, watch a film or two, listen to some music, have a nice dinner, share a bottle of wine.

I wasn’t going to say no to that, but immediately all the little gears and wheels in my head madly started whirring round and round. My flat is filled with girly stuff, of course. If the cops ever get a search warrant to this place, they’re going to assume that it’s shared by a guy and girl, which in a sense, I suppose, it is. But I immediately started thinking about what I needed to do to safeguard my little secret since I’m not out to my son.

As for my clothes and cosmetics, I thought I could just pack them all away in a big box and stick that at the back of a closet. But that was going to be an awful nuisance, and I really didn’t want to bother. So I decided the solution would be to get it all out of sight in the drawers or closet and then simply lock the bedroom door. If my son asked why I’d done that, it would be because what with the window being open, the door was banging and rattling all the time. That seemed like a satisfactory cover story.

Then, the bedroom that he was going to sleep in downstairs was pretty filthy and needed to be hoovered—and the hoover (vacuum cleaner, in Yankee English) is always kept in my bedroom. So I needed to hoover his room before he arrived, and that way he wouldn’t come up looking for it. That problem solved.

Then of course I’ve got all kinds of girly stuff on my computer, and he might well want to get on my computer while he was here—to check his e-mails, Facebook account, etc. If he wanted to Google something, all he had to type was “c” and he’d come up with this forum. Well, I could delete my browsing history and trust him not to go dipping into my document files. He does respect my privacy. So that was taken care of.

There were a couple of other little things I thought might raise questions, so I dealt with them. And just when I was thinking I had all the bases covered and could relax, I discovered a hair on my sitting-room floor—a hair a good 12 inches longer at least than my own. You know how it is, you leave hairs all over the place and you never know where and when one of them will pop up. Well, the story I could give him about them was obvious, but now I had to decide exactly what sort of woman my “girlfriend” was. I supposed I could just describe myself: beautiful, charming, witty, fun to be around, modest, truthful, etc., etc., but then of course he’d want to meet her. American sitcom time!

At this point it occurred to me that it was all getting ridiculous. When you’re reduced to worrying about hairs on the couch or in the bathroom, really, you need to start taking a long look at the situation. And the obvious, once-and-for-all solution to the whole problem would be to just tell the truth. It would make life a lot simpler.

But there are problems there, as we all know. There’s been at least one thread on this forum concerned with the difficulties connected with coming out to children. Also, the last while I’ve been seriously blundering about in the Pink Fog, and this is definitely the sort of decision you don’t want to make in the middle of a pea-souper.

Yet I felt that I needed to come out to him. I’m seriously exploring my TGism these days and I’m not going to stop any time soon. I don’t know where I’m going with it, but in a little country like Ireland where everybody knows everybody else’s business, the chances were good he was going to hear about it sooner or later anyway. Better he should hear it from me. And I didn’t feel like this decision to tell him was coming from the Pink Fog. It felt like it was coming from plain, old common sense. I had more than 24 hours to think about it, and in fact I’d been mulling it over for a long time already, but as the moment of truth approached, I felt in my heart it was the right thing to do.

So when he got to my flat, while we were cooking the dinner, I simply told him everything. I had spoken no more than a few sentences when I knew everything was going to be alright. No shock on his face, he was calmly listening and taking it all in.

I asked him how much he knew about TGism, and he said, “Not a thing.” So I said to myself, “Excellent!” It’s great to have an unbiased audience. That way you get to bias them yourself. I gave him a crash course in basic TGism; I told him about my experience in life and how I’d always tried to repress my true nature and how tired I was of keeping a secret; I told him what it means to me to dress and what it does for me; I mentioned this forum and how much I’d benefitted from it. In perhaps almost an hour I gave him a pretty good overview of what life is like for the TG person.

He asked a few questions—though he didn’t ask if I was gay. He knows better than that. Neither did he ask anything specific about my clothes, cosmetics, etc. I suspect he’s a wee bit uncomfortable with that, so I didn’t go into any details there. But when we were done, everything was cool. Big hugs, we’re still parent and son.

My son and I have always been very close. His mother walked out when he was two, and I was glad to see the back of her. So it was just the two of us for the next sixteen years: we’d shared a lot, been through a lot together. I was hoping I could bank on that in my real hour of need, and he didn’t let me down. He came through it all brilliantly. Last thing he did as he was leaving this morning was to give me another hug and tell me, “Let me know how it’s going.”

The benefits of coming out with it were immediately felt. For one thing I can now get on this forum, or anything else online having to do with TG matters, without having to hide it from him. I no longer have to watch every little thing I say out of fear that one little remark might lead him to ask a question I’d have trouble answering. I won’t leave my girly stuff openly lying about my place, but neither do I have to worry about him finding it.

Most importantly this: lately I’ve been wondering about the possibility of coming out in the little town I live in, and I’ve sought advice on this forum. People have tried hard to help me, but of course they’re hindered by the fact that they don’t know my circumstances, this town, my landlord, etc. My son knows all these things, so I can talk to him about coming out. Yesterday, he mentioned a couple of very useful things I hadn’t considered myself, and he shed a bit of light on another issue. So now I have a friend and advisor with real knowledge of the circumstances. That is obviously extremely valuable.

So the lesson learned: THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE! Of course the proviso here is that you’re giving it to the right people. And that’s the catch, isn’t it? How do you know who the right people are? But as you can imagine, my heart is much lighter this morning.

Best wishes, Annabelle
    Last edited by Foxglove; 06-02-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Congrats, Annabelle. I'm glad that the situation played out as it did. I know you must be much more at ease, knowing someone close to you is in your corner.

What a great story Annabelle, thank you for sharing it with us. Im so glad your son was able to take it in stride and listen with an open heart. I had a fear of how my brother would react when I told him about Shannon. I was pleasantly surprised. Its amazing how a secret that we've harbored for so many years grows into a life of its own and that to be discovered/share it would be the end of life as we know it. Yet once the secret is out it doesn't seem all that bad and the burden not so great. I have shared my secret with quite a few of my friends and family now and it makes life and my relationships much more rewarding. Im glad that you have an ally and someone to talk to now.

I am delighted Annabelle!
    I told you I was an old pessimist. Never listen to me again.

SUZY

That's amazing!! And wonderful!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I can relate so much with your story! At least the relationship between you and your son. The mother of my kids walked out much the same way. My youngest was two, and much like you I was glad to see her go. I don't think my kids are ready to learn about my feminine side quite yet (ages 6 and 8), but I hope that when that day does come it will go as smoothly as yours did. It has to be a great relief knowing that he's ok with it. This is a great stroy. Thank you so much for sharing it! It gives hope to us and is yet another example of how more people are tollerant to our lifestyle than we think.

Annabelle,

I read your story with my best Irish accent, a smile on my face, and a tear in my eye.

You've obviously done a great job raising your son. You should be proud of him.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Silver Member
    It's so nice to read of a good outcome. I imagine you must feel like a weight has been lifted.

Now for the landlord!
    Lea

Like Karen said, "that's amazing. I don't have children of my own, but I can relate when I was found out by my step-daughter when she was around 30 years old. I was amazed at how she accepted it and how much she already knew about gender issues. Made me suspect that her ex-husband or someone close to her might be transgendered too. At Christmas, I received 2 gifts from her. One for my male side and one for my fem side. It turned out to be OK that she knows.
    I'm happy for you Annabelle!

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    I am sure it it like a great weight off your sholders.
    Sometimes even if it is painful to disclose it can be worth it to get rid of the weight we carry.
    Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator):
    What we do in this life, echoes in eternity..

You can fine me here on Facebook!

Congratulations! I find most, but not all, children come to this alot better than many adults of the older generations. It's good to know that your son is behind you. Good luck!
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    I am delighted Annabelle!
    I told you I was an old pessimist. Never listen to me again.
    SUZY
    But, Suzy, I've never listened to you anyway.

Suzy, you and I both know, although the others on this forum might not, how much I'm joking here. I have in fact listened to you a lot, and what you've always had to say to me has always given me a big lift. The others might not know it, but you're my big sister and I couldn't do without you.

But like you, I was a bit pessimistic here. I tend to be in matters like this. Coming out isn't an easy thing and it's clear that there's always the possibility of a very bad reaction. But I always had great hope for my son, and he really came through for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta Marie View Post

You've obviously done a great job raising your son. You should be proud of him.
    Thanks, Roberta, I am of course very proud of him. He's proven his toughness. I know that he went through a period of great struggle over his mother when he was in his teens. But he got through that, and he's doing very well for himself these days.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    Now for the landlord!
    You're right, Lea, and the landlord is in fact one question my son and I discussed. It would be very handy for me to be out to the landlord, if not to anybody else. Like Suzy, I've always been very pessimistic about his reaction to the news. But my son had a different take on it: he thinks there's a good chance the landlord would be OK with it. It's just that his worry would be the trouble it might bring him, since I'm in his house, if people in the town generally knew about me. If I could assure him that my activities would be confined solely to the house and not outside it, and that nobody else would know about it, then he might be OK with it.

I have to say my son was fairly persuasive on this issue. His relations with the landlord are of course not the same as mine. He's spoken to the man a lot, but in a different way than I and on different subjects, and so he's got a different view of him. So my son has definitely given me something to think about there. And I'm beginning to think he may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon C. View Post
    Its amazing how a secret that we've harbored for so many years grows into a life of its own and that to be discovered/share it would be the end of life as we know it. Yet once the secret is out it doesn't seem all that bad and the burden not so great.
    You're right, Shannon, and of course I'm now regretting that I didn't tell him a long time ago. Maybe I missed out on some years of happiness. But that's not necessarily the case, because it was only when I found this forum that I realized that it was time for me to face what I had denied for so many years. I wasn't ever going to come out to my son until I came out to myself. That's what this forum has helped me do.

And thanks so much to all the rest of you for your replies. I'm really feeling on top of the world right now, and it's the people on this forum who've helped me get there.

Best wishes to all, Annabelle

Platinum Member
    This is really a wonderful and heart warming story. Love conquers all and it seems that the truth does set you free.

Annabelle,

I'm so glad to hear the news. It is a wonderful and life changing experience to tell your children. For years my greatest fear was them finding out, but now they are among my biggest supporters. I think you will find that most people, when told, will react very much like your son. We have talked before and I know that you need to be very sure before making any move as it will get around like wildfire where you are. But maybe that would not be such a bad thing? Only you can answer that, well you and your new confident. Your son should have a much better grasp on your situation than any of us here. Still, you know what my vote would be for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi, Jess! My son and I also discussed the possibility of my coming out in this little town, and he was extremely negative about it. And I have to say I'm listening to him on this issue, because I think that in ways he knows people better than I. I tend to be a bit of a homebody, a bit of a loner, whereas he's the type that gets out and about a lot. So in ways he's better in touch with the common person here than I am.

I know what your vote would be, Jess. It would be the same as mine, if I followed my heart. But sometimes we need to listen to the head. Another question we discussed is what effect my coming out would have on my landlord. If it causes me trouble, it could also cause him trouble, since we live in the same house. That certainly wouldn't be fair to him.

So finally we talked about my other options. Well, that's for another day. I made one step yesterday, and we'll see what the others will be.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Annabelle, I'm glad you came out to your son. Somehow I knew in my heart he would be receptive. It all has to do with how we raise and nurture our children. You just seemed like a father ( and mother ) who raised her son to be a loving and accepting person. I know I raised my son that way and was always a nurturing parent. I came out to my son and he was accepting. I'm glad you were able to give him information about being a TG. I was not able to but will give him more information in the future. Congratulations my Irish sister.

Hugs,
    Brigid

wishing on a star! Rebecca Star's Avatar
    Had a good chuckle, you write good a good story, thanks Annabelle

Glad all worked out for you and your son too!

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post
    So the lesson learned: THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE! Of course the proviso here is that you’re giving it to the right people. And that’s the catch, isn’t it? How do you know who the right people are?
    That's the million dollar question, which, can be a mine field.

In my experience, and this just isn't about coming out with our altered ego's to friends, family and what have you. People who I think would be ultra cool and cruisey about stuff, sometimes are the complete opposite.

I've lost friends over being 100% truthful. Some may say well they weren't true friends. Maybe. On the flip, and as Jack Nicholson said in a Few Good Men, “You can't handle the truth!”. Some people are just like that, they want to know but when told can't handle it.

So, every time I'm about to do something which may enlighten someone, I weight up the pros and cons. Maybe I try to feel the situation out, throw a few feelers for a reaction. Albeit being honest is how I prefer to live. But on the same token, some things are best left unsaid, sometimes.
    ~ it's not how the world sees you but how you see yourself that counts ~
    free professional make-up tips and self help videos | free professional hair styling videos and tips

you know you are very good at describing a bad situation and making it look funny, you should try writing short stories
    and by the way, congratulations on your outcome.

That is a wonderfully story. I'm really glad it worked out so well for you. Personally, i'm still cautious about 'coming out', but i'm not focused on fully transitioning. There will always be the chance of someone being a real jerk to you, but the law tends to be more and more on our side as time goes on.

Only here in America, there is a bit of a worry about resurging fundamentalism, partly in response to liberal politics, partly in that it offers a simple (if biased) view of the world in an increasingly complex and less reassuring world. But there is a good tendency to live and let live these days, as long as you don't have blatent neo-fasiscts next door.

I think the hardest thing is the inconsistancy- that if we are undecided ourselves as to which gender to portray, it's probably even less understandable or comfortable to someone to see their neighbor as mostly male one day and mostly female the next... so unless the transition is going to to be fairly consistent, i'd urge a bit more caution and 'research'... i'm trying to look at it from others' points of view, that's all. Personally, you are welcome to move in next to me and sunbathe in a bikini or dress en drab as you see fit.

Take heart, you are looking at this with two opposite points of view, both with valid aspects. This is hard to do, but it really one of the basi of intelligence- being able to understand conflicting notions. developing your own ideas based on what you learn is the only real way to do it- if you accept someone else's rules for no other reason than it is convenient and you don't have to think it out yourself is cheating- cheating yourself.

You seem however, to be doing wonderfully! And you I love that name- Annabelle- it seems to fit you perfectly!

-Kristi

Quote Originally Posted by Brigid View Post
    It all has to do with how we raise and nurture our children. You just seemed like a father ( and mother ) who raised her son to be a loving and accepting person.

Hugs,
    Brigid
    Thanks, Brigid. I like to think I raised him right, but the fact is he's just a good guy. A lot more cop-on than I had at his age, and I've found so often that his heart is in the right place. He'd be a good guy even if he had the worst of parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph View Post
    And I love that name- Annabelle- it seems to fit you perfectly!

-Kristi
    Thanks so much, Kristi. I think that's the finest compliment anyone's ever paid me. You've got me blushing over that one. (Is there a blushing icon? Oh, yeah, there is: )

And thanks to everyone else for your support here. It means so much to me.

Yes, the problem of coming out will be with us still. But it is so sweet when it turns out well.

Best wishes, Annabelle

That was great read, and I loved the ending! Like you I came home from work one day and found my wife had gone, the difference was she took the kids, moved away, so I seldom got to see them, so I had little impact on there childhood, didn't really connect with them until the where young adults, One turned out to me a Conservative just like his mother, and the other is open minded, the younger one might be OK with it, I don't believe his brother could handle it all that well, and the one that could handle it would tell his brother just to see the melt down, so I'm can't tell either one of them. Life would be so much easier if I could.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

How was the wine? Did you get to take the walk? Does he have a Dublin accent now?

90% of what we worry about never happens 99% of the time.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Audrey Michelle's SO
    What a great day for you Anabelle!!! And, what a wonderful son you have raised! I am so happy that I came and read this post!!!
    Real Men (Among Others! ) Wear Panties

Listening to your son on your small town acceptance was a good decision, as interested perspective from someone who is not affected by duel needs and pfg (pink fog attack) his advice will stand good, all the best.........................Debra

I am so pleased that your coming out was good.
    Remember that small village you live in... It's still there So caution there.
    All the best for your future endeavours though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.