Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My Apprenticeship Leads me to Become a Feminist

I agree Sabrina. Kudos to you for standing up to it.. The ideas on that site are hateful and contemptible.
    They are not psychotic, that's a poor choice of words. They are far worse than that.

Stephanie here is a typical hatefilled diatribe...aimed squarely at you and me btw...

http://radicalhub.com/2012/02/24/bal...are/#more-7287

We are squarely on their list of groups to crush... I say give them California and be done with both of them

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    ... I say give them California and be done with both of them
    HEY!!!!!!

You're not too big for a spanking little Miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I agree Sabrina. Kudos to you for standing up to it.. The ideas on that site are hateful and contemptible.
    They are not psychotic, that's a poor choice of words. They are far worse than that.

Stephanie here is a typical hatefilled diatribe...aimed squarely at you and me btw...

http://radicalhub.com/2012/02/24/bal...are/#more-7287

We are squarely on their list of groups to crush... I say give them California and be done with both of them
    I don't know why I clicked on the link but the comments made me feel sick especially this one:

"Gender identity is bullshit."

Really? Stephanie, I don't care if you are really a radical feminist or not, however I hope you are not so blind that those girls would string you up if they found out you were born male.
    Add me to facebook if you want: http://www.facebook.com/hobbitprincess
    "Never thought I would be here, so high in the air
    This is my unanswered prayer
    Defined by another, so much wasted time
    Out of the darkness, each breath that I take will be mine." -Waterproof Blondes, "Just Close Your Eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by SabrinaEmily View Post
    (And if anyone wants to see how truly psychotic the radfems are, settle down at http://radicalhub.com/ and read as long as you can stand it.)
    Anyone who has extremist and rabid views, be they feminist, political, religious, or anything else, in my opinion are dangerous. They refuse to acknowledge that human fabric is infinitely varied. They place their own beliefs above all else, all the while condemning those who feel or believe differently. They incite hate and nothing good can come of this.
    Reine

Silver Member
    No, I don't subscribe to the ranting on that web site. But that means little. You can always find ridiculous people willing to write the most offensive things on the fringes of any movement. If you gave me a few minutes I could come up with equally offensive crap written by the religious right. Please read my earlier posts.

Feminism is simple really. It's the concept that women are people, with all the rights and privilages that other people have. That's all.

Yes, I consider myself a Radical Feminist. Let me try to explain my position for you. I believe that MALE controlled capitalism is the defining feature of women's oppression in our society today. I think that the total reconstruction of society is the only way we will be able to overcome this oppression.

Now listen. You will be able to find another woman who considers herself to be a radical feminist who may have a slightly different take on this. These thing are not writ in stone. Notice please that I said NOTHING about trans issues, I said NOTHING about female supremacy. I don't hate men. And I think that most post-op trans woman are women. The fact that there is a SMALL number of feminists who hold a slightly skewed view of transwomen does not effect my desire or my ability to be a feminist.

Some lesbians are afraid that penis owning transwomen just want to have sex with them. (ick!) This is an understandable view as long as there are men with a penis who insist on claiming that they are women. It's a very short step from this to the belief that ALL transwomen want is to have penatrative sex with a lesbian. Is this true? No, of course not. But a wee bit of empathetic thought might lead you to a better understanding of how this sort of thinking arises.

Stephie, the Radical Feminist.

Oh, and BTW, I was not born male. You must be confusing me with someone else. I have been female all my life. Smile.
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 05-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Cmon step
    a "wee bit of empathetic thought" and some attention to detail would have served you well earlier...

The word radical is what causes the confusion..you can't avoid what other "radicals" say..

the point of view that male oppression leads loss of women's rights and it should stop is radical in what way exactly? seems more like common sense to me...

good luck with the total reconstruction of society tho.. this is the radical idea...this will happen only at the end of history..
    even if its a good idea, its this idea that is more in line with the people who would say this reconstruction should include the subservience of men or any of the other contemptible ideas on that website

maybe my pragmatism is weakness, i don't know...but i have a hard time being interested in pursuing ideas that are impossible in the day to day world..

btw...i agree with the idea that the idea of a transsexual with a penis is hard for others to fathom.. it confuses the simple issue that we are about gender and not body parts because for most people that are totally and completely the same (gender/sex organs).....like it or not...the penis separates people into groups too

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Some lesbians are afraid that penis owning transwomen just want to have sex with them. (ick!) This is an understandable view as long as there are men with a penis who insist on claiming that they are women. It's a very short step from this to the belief that ALL transwomen want is to have penatrative sex with a lesbian. Is this true? No, of course not. But a wee bit of empathetic thought might lead you to a better understanding of how this sort of thinking arises.
    This is one of the things that holds me back from starting a relationship whilst my weight prevents me from becoming whole
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

btw...i agree with the idea that the idea of a transsexual with a penis is hard for others to fathom.. it confuses the simple issue that we are about gender and not body parts because for most people that are totally and completely the same (gender/sex organs).....like it or not...the penis separates people into groups too
    I totally agree with this too. ...but at least I'm not one of those trannies that like women! eeeew ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

As someone who lives "in-between" in several different aspects, I find radical separatism fundamentally flawed. It is a black-or-white, binarist worldview with no room for the people who fall in-between: the multiracial, the third-culture, the bisexual, the genderqueer, or any of the myriad other liminal identities that are marginalized by both the majority and the separatists.

My understanding is that third-wave feminism is, at least in part, a response to second-wave feminist separatism and radicalism that was dominated by white, middle-class, cisgender, able-bodied women who did not look at how intersectionality affects the lives of all women. I think our world would be much poorer in social wealth without men in it (even if they sometimes seem to me rather alien... vive la difference!), in similar fashion to how it would be poorer without all the cultural and linguistic variety there is in the world today.

Me? My hope is that one day, all people will be able to have "a room of their own" (to paraphrase Virginia Woolf).

Anna May

Silver Member
    Just let me say that I am extremely pleased that we are having a real discussion about something that really matters, I.E. feminism, instead of wondering about how many pink panties is enough. Kudos to the OP!

Stephie, the radical feminist

LOL. Stephie, I hardly think there would be many discussions about pink panties in this section of the forum.
    Reine

Feminism is simple really. It's the concept that women are people, with all the rights and privilages that other people have. That's all.

Yes, I consider myself a Radical Feminist. Let me try to explain my position for you. I believe that MALE controlled capitalism is the defining feature of women's oppression in our society today. I think that the total reconstruction of society is the only way we will be able to overcome this oppression.
    This kind of thinking I have no problem with. The ones that I have the problem with the most are the ones that take it even further. We should all be on equal footing not one above the other.

Oh, and BTW, I was not born male. You must be confusing me with someone else. I have been female all my life. Smile.
    As the person that said that, I am truly sorry. I had thought you were post-op for some reason. Again sorry. and yes I do like that the conversation is not about how many pairs of pink panties one has as well *giggles*
    Out of the darkness, each breath that I take will be mine." -Waterproof Blondes, "Just Close Your Eyes"

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    LOL. Stephie, I hardly think there would be many discussions about pink panties in this section of the forum.
    Truly. The reaction would be fun, though!

Lea
    Lea

Silver Member
    As Reine pointed out above, that sort of discussion goes on far more frequently in the CD section.

Happy Mother's Day everyone.

Did you send your mom flowers or a card?

My children did not, but I did not expect anything. However, a very close friend and her husband took me out to lunch today and gave me a lovely bouquet of flowers and an equally lovely Mother's Day card signed by them both. I must admit I burst into tears right there in the restaurant. Friends are golden.

Stephie the rad fem
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 05-12-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: clarity

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Did you send your mom flowers or a card?
    Unfortunately, the Postal Service doesn't yet deliver where my mum had been since 6pm on 30th January 1996
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Silver Member
    Oh Rianna, I am so sorry.

S

The way to fix that is to remove the glass ceiling for women! lol

So true!

I actually know several families where it is either the father who has become the stay at home parent, or once both parents are back at work they both take turns taking time off for illnesses their kids have, etc.

On the other hand, the prevalence of many 'better for the baby' practices like breast feeding on demand, cosleeping, elimination communication, etc. make it very different for a mother to leave the baby, even with the father, long enough to go back to work without getting called a bad mother. Even the very idea of motherhood as integral to womanhood, there is so much wrong with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Sophora View Post
    This kind of thinking I have no problem with. The ones that I have the problem with the most are the ones that take it even further. We should all be on equal footing not one above the other.

As the person that said that, I am truly sorry. I had thought you were post-op for some reason. Again sorry. and yes I do like that the conversation is not about how many pairs of pink panties one has as well *giggles*
    Sophora, I think you need to realize that no MtF transsexual is born male. We are all born female but have had the unfortunate fate of having a body that does not match our gender. You seem to think that sex and gender are the same thing. They are not.

On the broader issue of feminism I am completely along the same thoughts that Stephenie expressed. The fundamental transformation of society sought by radical feminism is not about the subjugation of the male members of our society. Essentially that would create the the same inhuman structures except in reverse. And Kaitlyn, if that happens what you will find is that at the heart of feminism is making itself redundant. If society were as it ought to be then feminism would not exist. In this sense we should all be radcal feminists on our way to live in a world in which feminism would no longer be necessary
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Kathryn, what do you see is the difference between a feminist and a radical feminist today? I take it the second wave feminists during the 70s-80s were rather radical (some disrespected women who chose to remain in traditional roles, be wives and raise children), until third wave feminism came along with much more balanced views, giving women the choice.

(I don't consider the rabid feminists, such as the group on the radicalhub.com website, to be anything other than man haters).
    Reine

I don't consider the radicalhub people of any consequence, they are idiots. Anyone who seeks supremacy is mentally ill and is dangerous. I believe they have created if anything barriers. I believe that women should be equal in every respect and that this will require significant fundamental societal change even in this day and age.

in this sense I am with Stephenie and in this sense I am radical about what needs to happen.

Kathryn, what do you see is the difference between a feminist and a radical feminist today? I take it the second wave feminists during the 70s-80s were rather radical (some disrespected women who chose to remain in traditional roles, be wives and raise children), until third wave feminism came along with much more balanced views, giving women the choice.

(I don't consider the rabid feminists, such as the group on the radicalhub.com website, to be anything other than man haters).
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

I hear you, Kathryn, and I agree. Maybe both terms, "feminist" and "radical-feminist" are interchangeable. I see equality for all (not just women ) as being a matter of course. It is something that I take for granted is due every human being and in my view there is no discussion about whether women (or anyone else) "should" be fully equal socially and economically. Maybe others who believe as I do, consider this thought to be radical. I don't, it is just a reasonable and logical progression to our evolution as humans.
    Reine

what do you see is the difference between a feminist and a radical feminist today?
    Any group that takes a militant stance is diversionary and exclusive which is, as I see it, sorta the opposite of the very nature of the feminine, inclusive.

Can we agree that all people should have the right to self determination? No one group should limit another group?

To me, feminism has always meant equality. Equality doesn't mean that we are all the same, but that we should all have the same chance. And there are so many subtle and profound ways in which that's not true. Privileged white males (the role I and many of us here have lived in) don't realize the extent of their privilege. One of the things that saddens me the most is the conversion of "feminism" to a negative word. It's a great word, and a great concept, because ultimately who wouldn't want everyone in the society functioning to the best of their ability? Sometimes the hardest things really are simple to understand, just terribly difficult to live by.

2 cents.
    elizabethamy

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Martin View Post
    Sophora, I think you need to realize that no MtF transsexual is born male. We are all born female but have had the unfortunate fate of having a body that does not match our gender. You seem to think that sex and gender are the same thing. They are not.
    You do assume too much about me. I do realize that no MfT transsexual is born male(I am one remember). Maybe I shouldn't have written "born male" but "born with male primary sex organs." However I hope you know that people who don't like us(ie radical feminists, religious nuts) don't think like that at all. To them, We were "born male." That was the point I was trying to make.

And yes I do know the difference between gender and sex. Thanks btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Martin View Post
    I don't consider the radicalhub people of any consequence, they are idiots. Anyone who seeks supremacy is mentally ill and is dangerous. I believe they have created if anything barriers. I believe that women should be equal in every respect and that this will require significant fundamental societal change even in this day and age.

in this sense I am with Stephenie and in this sense I am radical about what needs to happen.

What is it that you believe needs to happen? Just curious!