Thread: SCC Atlanta

SCC Atlanta

I want to go to SCC, but I want to keep the cost down.

I saw that they have a conference-only plan where I'd be responsible for my own meals. Will I be able to save money eating on my own at the hotel, or are the food prices outrageous? Will I miss anything by only paying for the conference?

I guess I could get a roomate, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Any other cost saving tips would be appreciated
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Crazy Lady
    If you are willing to drive a little ways, thete are less expensive places to stay. If you are flying in and have to stay at the hotel or nearby hotels, there is the food court and restaurants at the perimeter mall across the street and a McDonalds about 1/3 mile up the road.

The seminar only package gets you to all basic activities such as pool party, clubbing at LeBuzz, kareoke, Saturday night dance. It just does not get you the meals and the extra cost items like Agathas, wine tasting.

there is an extended stay hotel I stay at that is only a few minuets away that you can get for $30 a night. it has a kitchen. i'm not going to publicly post the website i use to book the room but you can PM me if you want to know

The only thing you miss by getting the conference only option is not being able to attend the luncheons or dinners. The difference in pricing (as of 5/18) is $100. Is that enough to make a difference? It depends...

Avoid eating in the hotel. The food is good, but the prices are typical for a hotel of their class. You can find places to eat within walking distance or a short drive/shuttle ride. The downside is that you have to leave the hotel, which may not be convenient if you are attending lots of seminars. You could bring food with you, or shop locally. The rooms do not have refrigerators or microwave ovens, so keep that in mind.

A roommate is a common way to save money. Finding a roommate is not easy-at least that's been my experience. I was fortunate in that for many years I had a great one; we never had a problem, never had issues getting ready, and we didn't have to keep each other entertained. But having a room to yourself can be really nice-no worries about keeping things on your side of the room, you can use the bathroom whenever you wish, etc.

I don't know how you feel about driving from DC to Atlanta. It's 640 miles, probably an 11-12 hour drive. If you have a very economical car it may be less than a ticket. You can fly for $233, according to Kayak (minus baggage fees), and closer to SCC the ticket prices may be lower.
    Countess in exile
    Keep Calm and Dance to Morrissey
    Z and the Universe
    I'm also on Twitter and Facebook

Thanks for your help.

Actually, the cost difference between the conference only and the full package is $220. I can eat lunch and dinner pretty well for $220. However, I'm not sure how much I want to go out in public. I'd prefer to stay at the hotel unless I'm out in a group.

Driving would save some money, but my car has 155K mules on it, and I wouldn't want to break down half way there. So, I'd probably rent a car if I were to drive. But if I drove, I would lose a whole day on each end, and have to take another day off work.

The airfare is about $400 for a non-stop. To save money I'd need to change planes in Charlotte.

I did check taxi fares. Supposedly it's $60 from the airport to the hotel. I can rent a car for less than that.

Mostly, I'm trying to drive the cost under $1000 so I can present a case to my wife.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Don't take a taxi from the airport! Take the Metro that dead ends at the airport. The Dunwoody(sic) Metro stop is about 4 blocks from the hotel. Costs about $3 each way and is a relaxing 45 minute ride thru central Atlanta! I always call the free hotel pick up shuttle. But, Sherry travels HEAVY! It's not a long walk if you dress lite and your luggage doesn't weight 200+ lbs! Ugh!

The mall is a long, "across the street". But, well worth it if u want to save your $$ for drinking with the girls in the hotel bar! A MUST hi-lite of the trip for me! Fortunately, I'm a lite drinker! Lol!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 05-22-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!