Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage units

Storage units

I received a call from a friend and he asked me if I was interested in doing some work for him. When I got there it was a self storage place, my friend actually lived there and worked there, he called it security and handyman job. We walked into a huge room full of different items and he explained to me that not like the show storage wars his employer chooses to dismantle the units himself and sell or donate the stuff on his own. My eyes insintly went on the pile of cloths, so many pantyhose everywhere and a pile of wigs and boots and shoes that where going to be donated. (Boy would I love to work there). He lives there alone and told me during the day it is busy but at night it's very quit and usally the only thing that happens at night is crossdressers will rent the small units go there and change there cloths and then come back and get changed again, or will dress up and walk around the compund and that at first it use to freak him out but he now realized that they never did anything to think of harm. He told me he watches them on the security cameras but they just walk around for a few hours and then change back and those are the most abandoned units they use them for a few weeks and then you don't see them anymore. He talked a lot about his work but I told you the part I found most interesting and never thought of a storage unit to be used like that. Iam just wondering has anybody here ever used a storage unit to stash your fem things.
    Last edited by Maria 60; 11-14-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I myself have never done that but I had an email friend at one time who told me that she had used a storage unit for a time. The thing about that was that in the summer it was hot and then cold in the winter and it got expensive to keep it.

One time a place near where I was living at the time opened units for a garage sale sort of thing and I went and in one it was all women's clothes and costume jewelry wigs and there was lot of it. Oh how I wanted to dive into that and see what I could come out with but I was there with a friend and he would have never understood.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria 60 View Post
    Iam just wondering has anybody here ever used a storage unit to stash your fem things.
    I have a storage unit but not for storing my 'stash' and certainly not to walk the facility to have some femme time.

My storage unit makes it possible for me to enjoy frequent CDing within a DADT arrangement with my wife. I stop by the unit in the morning with some alternative outfits to dress and return in the evening to change - relative privacy, make-up etc conveniently set up on a dressing table, shoes stacked in their boxes. Rechargeable LED lights. Even an outside BBQ heater for the colder days. I use it 4 or 5 days a week.

Frankly I don't know why more CDers don't use a storage unit although I accept that weather might be too severe in winter in some parts of the world.

For those who might come to a garage sale, some treasures may be had but most of my clothes are in a spare bedroom at home.
    Last edited by Michelle (Oz); 11-14-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle (Oz) View Post
    Frankly I don't know why more CDers don't use a storage unit
    The ones that I have used take advantage of the long term users. The rates go way up because they figure once you have your stuff in there, you won't want to move it. My last experience was with a place in northern NJ close to NYC; a large 10x20 unit where I was storing my things so I didn't have to move all at once. 2nd month they told me they have to paint the walls of my unit (after moving a whole lot of things into it) so I spent a whole day moving everything at least 2 feet from the walls. Then I had to spend two days sitting there while the painters did their thing (the first day they didn't manage to get to my unit). Two months later they tell me they're going to replace the big metal garage type doors, so I have to spend another two days sitting and watching my stuff. One month later they raise my rent by 20% (new owner). Everything occurred in less than a 5 month period. This is probably a rare set of things going totally beserk but I'm sure other have had similar problems, just not all at the same time.
    Another place that I rented about 20 years ago, was about 10 miles further away from others, but had advertised 24 hour access in big letters on their sign; they had that......for about a month. Then it went to 6 am till 10 pm. As I'm a night person, that really screwed me too, because I had paid extra and drover further just for that reason.
    Bottom line: Read EVERY line in the contract you sign. Because if they can screw you, they will.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have a storage unit for other things but I do use it to store my stash and to get dressed in.

The downside are lighting, heating and cooling, and real privacy. The employees frequently drive around the property and I think closing the door might be weird or even closing it half way. The other thing is I have to get a good battery operated mirror to try makeup.

I had a storage unit when I lived in Arizona. Most of the homes don't have basements and the private storage in our house was limited. It was climate controlled so my makeup wouldn't melt. An important consideration in Arizona. I never changed there. Rather, when my wife would leave town for a few days I would go get the three or ultimately four storage containers of all my stuff load them into the car an take them home. Before she came back to town I would take everything back. The only thing I was nervous about initially and needlessly was who to contact in case of emergency. I just made up a name and number and figured if I died they would just auction it off.

There is a poster ad running on the New York Subway. It shows a crossdresser, in a semi-queen type of outfit, saying, "I like my wife and kids; but I love my storage unit!" I have a small locker myself, 5x5. I use it to keep stuff I am not wearing lately. I have never thought about changing in it. I am comfortable in public, so walking the aisles never occurred to me either.

I had one in NY but once I came out to the wife I no longer needed it. They can be very good , easy to change in and often climate controlled. Safe because of the front gate. Its a good idea.
    No regrets except I should have got dressed & stepped out sooner.

On the surface it sounds like a good idea for a sister that can't keep her things at home but in the end, like dressing and walking around the place, it sounds like it wasn't a good idea to begin with. Especially if you default because all of your things end up in a pile while your real name and address are on record somewhere in their office. Something that sounded safe ends up outing you if the guy in charge wants to be an ass.

I am curious though Maria, what did he want you to help him with? sort everything? and did you keep anything? sounds like a CD paradise lol
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

On the tone of CD Paradise and storage units. I actually buy them at auction for a hobby. I get tons of clothes and other stuff but unfortunately only about 5% fits me. I do have a tone of nice handbags though!!!

Silver Member
    I attended a couple storage war type events this last year for fun. Didn't see anything I wanted. It was interesting. Happened to be standing next to some of the staff. They started talking about an incident the night before when a wife showed up and caught her husband with another woman. The place had storage for motorhomes and travel trailers. It seems that it is a regular occurrence for unmarried couples spending short times enjoyment. If I was in the storage business I would advertise to us.

I have a climate controlled unit. Use it primarily to store some of our irreplaceable vintage holiday decorations (attic would ruin them.) I tihnk it's a 16x20 unit. I do use one side of it to store my seasonal girl stuff. No need to use the unit to dress in as I have a supportive spouse. Like everyone else though, I have heard of those not out to their spouse/SO using storage units to fulfill their dressing need.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    The ones that I have used take advantage of the long term users.
    Different country so different issues I suspect, but I use the long term rental as a negotiating point (and I'm prepared to move). Last negotiation achieved 20% discount over standard fees. They don't want stable renters to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Gabby6790 View Post
    The downside are lighting, heating and cooling, and real privacy. The employees frequently drive around the property and I think closing the door might be weird or even closing it half way. The other thing is I have to get a good battery operated mirror to try makeup.
    Agree in general but solved lighting by 2 rechargeable LED lights which I rotate and heating by an outside gas BBQ heater. Agree with privacy but the managers know me and what I do there. I park my car immediately in front of the unit and occasionally I've had to put the roller door half way down.

My company has a climate controlled storage for ten years of medical records, and I was the one person responsible for maintaining thise records. At times I used it for short term temporary storage for some of my things. The unit had a company padlock on it, and a spare key was kept at the office. I used a second lock that only I had a key for. Never had a problem.

I have never used one, but I know of a full transformation service that also rents gals small storage units, as in different size closet units, by the month. Gals can change in the safety of the site and get a full make over before heading out for a night on the town.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sara.rafaela View Post
    There is a poster ad running on the New York Subway. It shows a crossdresser, in a semi-queen type of outfit, saying, "I like my wife and kids; but I love my storage unit!" I have a small locker myself, 5x5. I use it to keep stuff I am not wearing lately. I have never thought about changing in it. I am comfortable in public, so walking the aisles never occurred to me either.
    Here's two:

cover-photo-draqqueen.jpgDragQueenWig.jpg
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I have a 25 foot trailer at a very secure storage place. Most of our excess and seasonal crap is stored there.'
    However the rear room in solely for my stuff including all of my femme wardrobe. Everything is accessable, my blouses, jeans and dresses are on hangars.
    All the rest, shoes, makeup bag, jewelry case, lingerie etc is in small tubs. My shoes are laid out in a row as I enjoy looking at them.
    I will sometimes get dressed there and then quietly drve out.
    "Missed it by that much!"

It would be cool to have a place away from home (and nosy neighbors) to dress.

I am fully out to my wife, so our storage locker holds only old files and old furniture. Most of my "girl stuff" is in a quartet of plastic drawers in the closet of my home office room.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I knew a Seattle girl that had one years ago, I don't know if she still uses it. It sounded interesting, but my wife doesn't have a problem with my stuff at home.
    Dana Ryan

I have used a storage unit to store my wardrobe when I lived in a small apartment and I knew that I had company coming in for a long stay and I wanted to keep my femme clothes out of sight. However, it was a just a large storage locker located in the laundry room of the apartment complex I lived in. Nit a freestanding room where I could close the door and have privacy. the complex surrounded by a locked gate and the laundry room also had a locked door that was only accessible to residents who had to have a key. And there were only 15 apartments in the entire complex. I just put a padlock on it and felt it was a more than safe place to keep my wardrobe and I never had any troubles.

It was actually quite nice to not have to worry about stashing it away in some hard to reach crawl space or buried underneath lots of boxes in the bottom of a closet. In my early days, I found some pretty unique and clever ways to stash my femme clothes from public view!

Whenever I finally met that special girl, if I ever do, and decide to settle down and live together, hopefully my dressing won't be an issue. If it is, and I still want to be with her, I will not hesitate to get my own offsite storage unit like the ones you're describing. Many are climate controlled, have solid concrete floors, and have lights. I would have no problem decorating it up like my own personal boudoir set up with coat racks and shelves to have all of my clothing easily accessible. I would also add in some area rugs and lots of mirrors and some photography equipment for when I want to take pics. To be honest, aside from the monetary costs, I don't know why more CDs don't do this. Even with the costs involved, I would rather get a basic cable channels package plan, pack a lunch for work, fill up the car with cheap gas, etc. to have the extra money to pay for it.
    Last edited by SHINY-J; 11-15-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Reality Check
    "............ Even an outside BBQ heater for the colder days. ............... "

Carbon monoxide from that heater can kill you and you won't even know it. CO is odorless. Don't use a propane heater indoors. Read the directions.

Other than that, a storage locker is a good solution for some folks. An RV or motor home is also a good place to change and it has heat, light and plumbing but it's pretty expensive unless you also use it for the intended purpose.
    Last edited by Krisi; 11-16-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Interesting story Maria,

I will never think of storage units in the same way again. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    I have had a storage unit for several years for my company records and also my girls stuff. I never changed there or walked around the faciltiy but I would go there to get outfits for a couple of weeks wearing and then return it for a different set. Used it just like a closet.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

Quote Originally Posted by Maria 60 View Post
    I am just wondering has anybody here ever used a storage unit to stash your fem things.
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm currently doing. Mind you, the unit isn't tall enough to stand up in, so no dressing in it! Even if it was tall enough, I wouldn't fancy using it for dressing and then emerging en femme! That sounds VERY risky.