Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is with the trem 'Gurl'?

Quote Originally Posted by CloserthanthisGG View Post
    I have been called gurrrrrll and by my female friends when they are trying to be ghetto. In sentences just like MizzSummers stated.

"i lurrrrve yo new hat, gurrrrll!! How's yo mom an 'em?"
    "I ain't seen them since Crixmas, look like you got yer hurra (hair)did, gurl"

I am pretty sure that the girl I have conversation like this was not anywhere close to thinking about T girls. She was putting emphasis on the "urrr" sounds, like in lurrrve and hurra. For some reason putting urrr sounds in things alone makes them sound ghetto. But that could just mean that the term has reached mainstream usage by GGs

Also i am not offended when called chickie baby. Should I be?

That sounds more chav than ghetto that way!!

Thing is, this is the ONLY thread I have seen people surround 'gurl' with ghetto chav speak at all... Most threads here it's like there are some crossdressers who don't feel like they can actually call themselves girls so they call themselves and others gurls. I think either term is something you really have to own to use. There is something ridiculous IMHO about a 70 year old GM going, 'hi gurls! How are you today?'

As a GG, I officially give you all who are afraid to use it, permission to say the word girl in reference to self and other cross dressers/tg instead of gurl.

I'm glad to see this thread since "gurl" seems silly to me. I don't like being called "girl," "hun," or any other cutesy terms. I'm 52-damned years old, for crying out loud! If I must be addressed as something other than my male ("Andy") or female ("Amanda" or "Mandy") names, then I guess "lady" is OK. I would feel really weird referring to a GG my age as "girl." I guess I'm bringing the age factor into it, but I just don't go for ultra-cute, too-familiar language. Call me "old school."

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    That sounds more chav than ghetto that way!!
    Hahhahha! I guess so. But they both kinda look the same in text. But I know for a fact she didn't mean anything but "Girl" by it. She was just using slang. If I go look at my old myspace page, I know there are lots of "Hey Gurl" "Hi Grrrl" "what's up gerl?" from people just trying to be cute. These are slang terms used by girls towards girls as well. Just sayin'.

Everyone has their preferences. To me, out of all the honey baby sweetie darling names, I dislike "lady" the most, but none are offensive alone. It's the tone used when saying them. When I hear lady, I think of a middle aged, fat, car mechanic with a cigar become frustrated with my questioning and becoming condescending saying "Laydeeeee, calm down." Trying to overcharge me and bill me for unecessary things because I'm female.

It's good to Be a lady, but not to be called on in a condescending manner.

I have to agree with Karren my same thoughts and opinions!

Haha, yep! Is there anything more cheesy in a bad way than some guy with more hair gel than brains coming up to a group of women in a bar to say, 'hey, ladieeees!'?

My point of view as its a word. It cant disrupt your life or offend you, unless you let it. A word is only offensive or derogatory if you make it offensive and derogatory!

Of course you can't tell the difference when someone speaks these words as they are pronounced the same way. I use it sometimes in forums and letters as it makes it clear who I am talking about. Gurl means a TG MTF. What's wrong with using a word that carries more information? I can't see why people would take offense at changing one letter. As far as being called girl or gurl instead of lady, that's an individual thing. Some think it is juvenile for adult males to call each other girl but I watch the cis women of all ages and it is very common.
    Sally

I don't like it mostly because it infers an uneducated way of speaking. (before you get all up in my face over that back off cuz you see I like how the cats on LOLcatz and Cheezeburger talk OK? aright) In this day it seems strange that people have chosen dialects that infer a certain lack of education. One thing I have noticed about people who always take this road is they are also the ones who are complaining about not being able to get a better job. Using that dialect is OK when you are with your peeps an all duude but you gotta talk like the man when you wants to be hired for that high dolla position.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I think it's just a discriptive word - not "good or "bad". To me, it just let's me know that it's not addressing the GG's, but refering to the males like my self that are bring out their feme desires, looks and wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda22 View Post
    I'm glad to see this thread since "gurl" seems silly to me. I don't like being called "girl," "hun," or any other cutesy terms.
    Well you would hate hanging out with my friends (all GG's) then because we hardly ever actually say each others names. "hey lady" is a common greeting among us, and the cutesy nicknames run from baby to honey bun to sweet pea. I love my girls and I'm incredibly lucky to have such fun friends.

Actually I think I'm incredibly lucky that my life is apparently so much more fun and interesting than what a lot of these forum girls get to experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I used “gurl” when I was younger, in my early twenties; I just thought it was cute. I am not sure why people see it as being offensive, it is not meant to be. It is just a slang word and has several different meanings.

According to Urban Dictionary here is one of the definitions of “gurl”:

3. Gurl – A transvestite or drag queen who enjoys flaunting it and having a good time/ It is spelt ‘gurl’ rather then ‘girl’ but not a real girl, but similar enough to imitate, usually used in writing for context rather then spoken.

There are more, here is the link to see the rest

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gurl

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JessHaust View Post
    Why would you even want to use it over the much more attractivly spelled 'Girl'?
    I'm with you Jess. Girl is so much more attractive.....just femme in my eyes.
    I hate the modern predilection for 'down with the kids' text speak. Drives me crazy, "U no wot I mean like".

Rebecca x
    (Grammar Police)
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    In this day it seems strange that people have chosen dialects that infer a certain lack of education. One thing I have noticed about people who always take this road is they are also the ones who are complaining about not being able to get a better job.
    I had just posted when I read Lori's quote.
    Britain has gone down the same route, with so many kids talking like they've received a frontal lobotomy.

I just think words like 'gurl' are not age appropriate for me, fine for others. Plus I think it's a bit chav to be honest. Please feel free to shoot at me, but honesty is the best policy is it not?

Rebecca x
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Banned Read only
    Born in Quebec, lived most of life in small town Central Ontario.
    Just another example of someone beating up my language. There is thankfully no gurl in Japanese.

About 15 years ago I came up with the name Kendra for myself as it was short for Ken in Drag. Then about 8 years ago I joined a cam chat site (paltalk) and while trying to select a nickname there were already over 50 variations of Kendra being used. I tried a totaly different nickname and after being on the site for awhile and having guys continually trying to chat with me and making all sorts of suggestive comments I wanted a way to give at least a hint of my true gender.

Thats when I chose Kendra_Gurl to place some doubt in everyones mind and then included into my profile the following "Caution objects in cams my not be as they appear"
    I still get the occasional guys trying to hit on me before bothering to read my profile but as soon as I ask them to read it they catch on pretty fast and this has saved a lot of embarressed guys sticking their foot in their mouths casusing hard feelings.

As for it being slang, ghetto or derogatory I've never thought of it that way nor has any of the 1000's of men and women I cam with in rooms with over 400 people in them nightly.
    I have never considered myself transgendered or a girl. I never hesitate to let anyone know I am 100% normal male who just likes to crossdress a few times a week and everyone accepts me as such.

I know a lot of CD's on Paltalk who have CD or TG or TS in their nicknames and the problem with that if one is really wanting to just be seen as they are presenting on cam those terms instantly make that impossible.

There is a huge difference between being in a room designated Gay/Lesbian/trans where its expected and being in the regular rooms full of only males and females on cam yet be totally accepted by most everyone plus being chosen as an admin in the most popular room there

FYI the new Avatar is a cam photo from last night

Kendra,
    An excellent post, thank you for your contribution.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Actually I think I'm incredibly lucky that my life is apparently so much more fun and interesting than what a lot of these forum girls get to experience.
    Good for you!

And to quote Nickleback....."Look at this photograph Everytime I do it makes me laugh How did our eyes get so red And what the hell is on Joey's Melissa's head?
    Sally

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I also don't see an issue. When speaking, the two spellings can't readily be distinguished, so we are only talking about the written word. The urbandictionay definition goes a bit to an extreme, but if the word gurl denotes a MTF then I applaud the clarity. Note the definition did not include a transsexual, so we are really talking about those who switch back and forth between genders.

Pretty simple.

tina

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    I guess it's meant to indicate a male who prefers being female. I have rarely used the term as I dislike it, just as I dislike the term sissy, queer, and a few other disrepectful terms. I feel that they are disrespectful, if a person wants to call themselves any term, that OK by me. I just don't like these terms.
    I find it extremely objectionable because it seems disrespectful in a number of ways! I care less if anyone calls ME any of those names, Arlene. Including, gurl! But, I refuse to address anyone else using these terms!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple8229 View Post
    Gurl is ok, I don't mind it. The word I cringe at is 'Dude'....what an obnoxious word. Thankfully it's pretty much passe' now.
    Dudess! U obviously DON'T live in SoCal! Few "gurls" here but, lots of dudes and dudesses!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post
    And what the hell is on Joey's Melissa's head?
    It's a towel silly. I wear one after a shower until my hair is dry enough to sleep on. Lately I'm also conditioning overnight since I'm not wearing a pony tail anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I wasn't gonna ( going to ) post here but I think its nothing more than a little slang.
    Not meanin ta hurt or define anyone.
    Just slang

Lynda

Audrey Michelle's SO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    before you get all up in my face over that back off cuz you see I like how the cats on LOLcatz and Cheezeburger talk OK? aright
    They ARE awesome cats, aren't they! I has a happy face when I seez it too!
    Real Men (Among Others! ) Wear Panties