Thread: Welp, I had the Big Talk with one of my closest friends

Welp, I had the Big Talk with one of my closest friends

I posted a thread last week about my increasing urge to share this part of myself with people close to me and how it was starting to weigh on me, big time. I've felt that the time to come out had arrived, whether I liked it or not, and I had to do something about it or I was going to burst. I finally had the conversation with someone close to me and it could not have possibly gone better! I decided to tell my best friend first because he knows me better than anyone and is probably the most open-minded, go-with-the-flow person I've ever known. I almost chickened out but I'm glad I didn't.

It was so difficult to actually get the words to leave my lips at first but I told him about being transgendered, my experiences from childhood through now, Dallas Feminine Expressions, my first makeover and outing, this forum, my thoughts and fears, and everything else. I even showed him a picture of Rachel. It was liberating. And also surreal. My head is still spinning.

He wasn't phased at all. Well maybe a little surprised but he's always known that I was a bit different from a lot of other guys. At first, he thought I was going to tell him that I was gay but I laid everything out there and told him I'd answer any questions, which he did have lots of, but it never got the slightest bit awkward. A good example of why this is one of the most important people in my life.

We talked for about 90 minutes and I can't count how many times I teared up during the convo, but it ended with him telling me that he will always stand by me, no matter what, he told me how much my friendship means to him, and that he was incredibly happy for me and glad that I've found myself. He also said that he felt honored that I chose to tell him first and that it meant a lot to him. That's a true friend, right there. I am really, really lucky. Aaaand here come the water works again....

I need a strong beer.

Junior Member xxprincess_tiffyxx's Avatar
    That's awesome. Sounds like when I first told my best friend.
    Feels so good doesn't it?
    Went a lot like that with everyone I came out to so far.
    Follow me @xxTiffyLovexx on Twitter xoxo

Banned Read only
    Glad that it went so well for you Rachel. Can I be nosy and ask how long you have known him?

Thats really cool Rachel!! I just did the same a couple weeks ago. Then i was so happy with how that went, i told a couple more friends only days later. Nerve wrecking, heart pounding, hands tingling and liberating. Im glad you had a good experience! XoXoXo

**sorry - double post**
    Last edited by Rachel Renee; 05-23-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    Glad that it went so well for you Rachel. Can I be nosy and ask how long you have known him?
    Sixteen years. And actually, we both grew up in your neck of the woods (both from SRQ).

Quote Originally Posted by xxprincess_tiffyxx View Post
    That's awesome. Sounds like when I first told my best friend.
    Feels so good doesn't it?
    Went a lot like that with everyone I came out to so far.
    It's funny how one can have the words all planned out but when the time comes, it all goes out the window and ya just wing it. I do feel really good about it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by natacsha View Post
    Thats really cool Rachel!! I just did the same a couple weeks ago. Then i was so happy with how that went, i told a couple more friends only days later. Nerve wrecking, heart pounding, hands tingling and liberating. Im glad you had a good experience! XoXoXo
    My heart is still pounding! Fortunately for me, I've got a bomber of Stone's Ruination IPA to nurse me through it.
    Last edited by Rachel Renee; 05-23-2012 at 11:26 PM.

It's nice to read good stories like this Rachel! I'm happy for you.

Rachel,

I'm very happy for you and glad it went so well.

On a curiosity note, what about it weighed on you so much that made you want to tell? Is it just a desire to have someone that you've known so long 'in on it' or do you plan on now doing some of the things you've always done with him while dressed?

I hope any future tells go just as well!

-Bree

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Rachel, this is an awesome story and as a few others have mentioned, a similiar story. I just told my best friend the same (posted a thread) and know those feelings you speak of. The reaction was basically the same.. and yes..took a couple of beers Still, I think it would have been better in a more private setting instead of a sports bar..I'm sure there would have been more questions. All in all, it was great and a big sense of relief..and yes, took a couple of days for me to come down from it. Good luck n the path you continue to walk...

Quote Originally Posted by Bree Wagner View Post
    Rachel,

I'm very happy for you and glad it went so well.

On a curiosity note, what about it weighed on you so much that made you want to tell? Is it just a desire to have someone that you've known so long 'in on it' or do you plan on now doing some of the things you've always done with him while dressed?

I hope any future tells go just as well!

-Bree
    Bree, as mentioned above, I did the same and I even thought about what you are inquiring about...haven't really answered them so maybe Racheal can give a idea to the questions )
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

That sounded wonderful. Brought a tear to my eye. You're lucky to have such a good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree Wagner View Post
    Is it just a desire to have someone that you've known so long 'in on it'
    Hi Bree! This is a big part of it. I want to be able to share with one of my closest friends some of these experiences and the massively positive impact they have on me. I don't have anyone to revel in the win with me, so to speak. No one to root me on. At least when it comes to this type of stuff. There have been some amazing first experiences for me this year and when they are all over, I couldn't tell anyone about them. Today that changed.

I also believe that, on some level, it served as a sort of validation. I told someone that's known me for half of my life my biggest secret and there was no freak out. No disgust. No judgement. It proved to me that I can do this. I own it now.

Lastly, I feel it's the next logical step on my trip out of the closet. I want out of that damned thing. I'm tired of hiding. I have kept these feelings to myself for thirty-three years and I don't want to do it anymore. I just want to be 100% myself and I want my friends and family to know what that means. I'm not going to shove it in their faces, of course, but I'm no longer going to take frantic measures to ensure that all signs of femininity are completely gone when I am around them, either.

I have a few others that I am just as close to and I hope to fill some of them in in the not-to-distant future.

I told my best friend a year ago Rachel..... It was exactly the same. a true friend is a true friend!.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Renee View Post
    I want to be able to share with one of my closest friends some of these experiences and the massively positive impact they have on me. I don't have anyone to revel in the win with me, so to speak. No one to root me on. At least when it comes to this type of stuff. There have been some amazing first experiences for me this year and when they are all over, I couldn't tell anyone about them. Today that changed.

I also believe that, on some level, it served as a sort of validation. I told someone that's known me for half of my life my biggest secret and there was no freak out. No disgust. No judgement. It proved to me that I can do this. I own it now.

Lastly, I feel it's the next logical step on my trip out of the closet. I want out of that damned thing. I'm tired of hiding. I have kept these feelings to myself for thirty-three years and I don't want to do it anymore. I just want to be 100% myself and I want my friends and family to know what that means. I'm not going to shove it in their faces, of course, but I'm no longer going to take frantic measures to ensure that all signs of femininity are completely gone when I am around them, either.
    Rachel, I can really relate to all of this. I want out, too, and the reasons you're giving are largely mine.

Congratulations! And since you're obviously so good at it, could you come have a talk with my son?

Best wishes, Annabelle

That is so wonderful................. Ok now I'm crying. Damn, I got to fix my makeup again.

Congratulations I am so happy for you !!!!!!!!!!!!