Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only guy at bike shop with unshaven legs

wishing on a star! Rebecca Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    the more practical reason is in case of injury.

If you've ever had to clean gravel/sand out of open road rash on hairy legs, you'd immediately realize how much less painful (and easier) it is to clean up cuts and scrapes when there is no hair in the way.
    Bingo!

It also help to stop infection which can happen if hair gets lodged in a cut etc..etc.
    ~ it's not how the world sees you but how you see yourself that counts ~
    free professional make-up tips and self help videos | free professional hair styling videos and tips

Gold Member
    Now that I have read this thread, I wouldn't consider being a cyclist. My legs are beat up enough already! I can't imagine going out after a spill.

Hi Kim,
    I'm with Debby. I look good without the ugly hair and I feel better nice and smooth and the lotion absorbs better,too. Most of us, myself included tend to over think how we will be accepted in public and the bottom line is, what would you prefer to do?

Rebecca

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    Having done road racing as an amateur up to provincial / state reprentatative level in Internationals I'll reveal all. Besides the crashing reason mentioned ,the main reason is massage. Try doing stage racing over a week and having a massage at the end of each day with hairy legs OWWWWW !!!!
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Crashes are not the only reasons shaving makes sense. I ride about 400 miles a week. When you are onthebike that much, a crash WILL happen. Road rash is real but shaving makes it easier to put on sun screen, reduces bugs sticking to you, and, for me, has reduced my ingrown hair events to zero. On the rare occasion someone asks, I say yes, I shave my legs. Te response is either "Oh." or "you're a biker aren't you."

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I ride every day and I have found several advantages. It it far easier to apply lotion, sunscreen, etc., as well as being far easier to clean my legs after a ride on wet roads. Dirt sprays up on my legs, and all it takes is a quick wipe with a damp rag to clean up. I find the same is true for my job. I am a cabinetmaker-refinisher, and I always have stain and finish overspray on my legs, as well as contact cement. It is far easier to clean them without hair!
    I also like the way they feel much better without hair. I have not had one negative comment yet. Now that the summer heat is here, I also notice that I stay much cooler.
    So many pros and so few cons!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Well I bike and inline skate and I'll shave for the reason that wound cleaning is much easier. I've had some doozies that are rashes feet long tht in hairy legs took months to heal. Sure they looked tough, but after it crusted over like three times, I decided that it might be a good idea to shave. I still got scabs but they fell off after they scabbed the first time. I'll admit that the look of shaved legs and the feminine thrill is a private thing I'm sure many other sport types don't share (well - maybe not!), but it serves those two purposes to me. Gotta try that epilator though!

Platinum Member
    If I had know that cyclists almost invariably shaved their legs - for whatever the reason - I'd have bought a bike decades ago!

hmm maybe its time for me to buy a bike. lol.. seriously though its been quite a while since I rode a bike. But the reasons listed all make sense. If you need a excuse to shave your legs sounds like cycling is a good one.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I always knew that serious bike riders shaved their legs.

I was told once (and now I know its not true) that there was more of a chance of leg hairs getting caught in the gears of the bike if one slipped!

Oh - and lets not forget the benefits of biking as well too - nice shapely legs, excellent cardio, weight loss in all the right places, and a nice butt!

Thanks everyone for all the replies to just something funny, even ironic that I noticed at the bike shop. I'm now more informed about the sport of cycling. All the reasons are valid reasons to shave whether you cycle or not. Makes you wonder why all guys don't shave. Do guys still get ridiculed about shaving your chest? I thought guys got ridiculed for having hairy chests now.

I don't shave but I do trim. Some day maybe I'll just shave it off but I don't think the wife would be too impressed and she's not aware of the extent that I CD. But if her leg hair gets longer than mine, I guess we'll both have some 'splaining to do.

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Crashes are not the only reasons shaving makes sense. I ride about 400 miles a week. When you are onthebike that much, a crash WILL happen. Road rash is real but shaving makes it easier to put on sun screen, reduces bugs sticking to you, and, for me, has reduced my ingrown hair events to zero. On the rare occasion someone asks, I say yes, I shave my legs. Te response is either "Oh." or "you're a biker aren't you."
    Like Jennifer ride miles weekly, day in and day out through the year. I agree that crashes must happen and in variety too.
    That knee comment of mine was prompted by two consecutive spills in one month when i gouged first the left and then the right knee, seriously. Happily I was on a minor road and no one stopped to pick up the old lady on the ground - i am in my eighties -. for me it was on to the river that I was first aiming for and then down to the bank to scrub the muck from out of my flesh - including the clots, ( How does that hit you Sue ? ) Cleaning out does not hurt with plenty of cold water, longish nails and no imagination. (Still here, Sue ?)
    Some of the reasons for leg shaving I have never dreamt of, massage, yes but never did I think of some of the others.

Here be I, about three years back....toe clips and all.

I might add that it is inviting a spill to do a self portrait on a bike, without a radio connect. Still I did manage it.
    Last edited by Sam-antha; 06-03-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-antha View Post
    - i am in my eighties -
    Wow! That is amazing and commendable. My own mother is barely 65 and she looks and acts like she's in her 80's while you look like you could be her hot much younger sister.

You are an inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com