Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only guy at bike shop with unshaven legs

Only guy at bike shop with unshaven legs

So I was at the bike shop the other day getting some work done on my old bike. I'm not one that usually looks around like this but I start noticing that I'm one of the few guys there with unshaven legs. Most of the guys working there and a few of the customers had their legs all shaved. So I was one of the few there with hair on my legs.

It reminds of a joke, a cyclist, swimmer and a crossdresser walk into a bar....

Ironically, the reason why I started noticing the unshaven legs is that I thought one of the ladies there had hair on her legs. She didn't, it was just the lighting. But that got me down the slippery slope of checking out everybody's legs at the shop.

I get that competitive swimmers shave their legs because tenths of a second matter in a race. But what's the hairless requirement in cycling?

the big reason for cyclists to shave is road rash wounds heal better without hair in the way.

there are various other reasons as well
    -the pros do it so why not me
    -massages feel better with no hair
    -vanity

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    10ths count just as much in a cycle time trial as they do in a swim. Funnily enough it was once common for cyclists to wear nylon tights when out training in the winter months. Alas the invention of lycra has put an end to that.

I would follow the majority here.Do you want to be the odd one out?
    Maybe they will all be wearing dresses shortly, and where will you be then?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Some also claim it cuts down on drag and therefore being hairless makes them faster just as it does for swimmers (given both are moving through fluids, one water and one air.)

Whether it actually makes any difference I don't know (this would be a great test for the Mythbusters to try out.)

Aspiring Member
    Cuts down on drag? Oh dear.

Saw an article a few years ago on some research about driver behaviour towards cyclists. It sems that male drivers give a wider berth to cyclists they beleive to be women (and I think the male researcher established this by wearing a wig and a dress). So you can claim you are wearing a dress for safety when cycling.

I used to ride a lot, and race. Cyclists shave their legs for a practical reason: if they get into a crash, there is reduced chances of infections. Leg hair picks up a lot of road dirt while riding, especially in inclement weather. If we got in an accident, a nasty infection would result, we do not stop to clean our wounds while riding hard/racing. It happened to me once, before I started to shave, and I had a discoloration maybe 2X3 inches in size, a red blotch left over from the infection, for years on my leg! Also nice to be able to rinse off ones legs and be clean in a snap after a long ride! It had nothing to do with wind resistance

The same reasons women shave their legs?
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    -vanity

Platinum Member

Any Reason

Hi Kim, Any reason to shave your legs is a good reason.

Now instead of shaving your legs trim the hair to a 1/4" ang get an eppilator
    and keep them smooth forever.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Kim, doesn't this give you the encouragement to shave also. After all, you are a cyclist. Go for it, girl.

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake
    -vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by dela View Post
    The same reasons women shave their legs?
    There are pro women?

I have been shaving full time since last Summer and I got a job that encourages me to cycle commute. I thought it was a great excuse. But these days, if the subject comes up, I just say, "I prefer it, I don't like the look of body hair generally, and I think hairy legs and cycle shorts looks,... weird."

Everybody I bike with shaves. I think the 'air resistance' reason is BS, but the more practical reason is in case of injury.

If you've ever had to clean gravel/sand out of open road rash on hairy legs, you'd immediately realize how much less painful (and easier) it is to clean up cuts and scrapes when there is no hair in the way.

Plus, some of it is vanity. After a few seasons of cylcing, ones legs get a lot of nice muscular definition that looks a lot nicer without hair
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Isn't it interesting that the CD is the only one with hairy legs?

Don't you people see that a confident person who is secure in who they are simply doesn't care what people think of them? Hardcore cyclists (roadies) are typically macho egomaniacs but they would absolutely wear a bullet bra if they thought it would make them faster. And you know what? they wouldn't give a damn about it, they would pull it off and wash it at the water stops, drape it on the bikes to dry and then brag about the efficacy of their new "speed sling".

It's just sad that a man who enjoys cross dressing for whatever reason is afraid to do something as benign as shave his legs, even when other men are openly clean shaven.
    First you have to accept yourself and know that you belong, and then when you learn to respect yourself, others will follow along.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

No hair makes it way better an more easy to put on your support hose before you ride ,,Dont pull the hair out ,,Ouch ,, Well gotta think of some excuse . Oh yea if you dont realy want someone to notice your shaved leggs do what I do ?? I paint my toe nails red it keeps em busy while I make my escape ,,,LOL,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

As I look around my world, there seems to be more males with shaved legs nowdays, myself included. I have often wondered if there is some unwritten rule somewhere that guys have to be hairy.

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Lets be honest, road rash hardly happens, knee scrapes do and if the leg is affected it is the front where the hair is thin anyway. Probaby the reason is that cyclists are cowardly and are afraid of the pull of the sticky wound dressing .
    Actually I think that Christi has it, legs when browned and smoothed on a bike look good. Hairy legs, brown or not tend to look a bit daft on a bike. Its all in the appearance.
    ~S~
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-antha View Post
    Lets be honest, road rash hardly happens, knee scrapes do and if the leg is affected it is the front where the hair is thin anyway.
    Road rash on the knee? I have ridden a mountain bike for years and if I go down on my bike, (usually a pretty ugly downhill incident) I get all manner of abrasions on my legs but rarely the knee. Also, not having hair on your legs makes it HARDER to get a deep abrasion because your naked skin slides over things (like cement) better than hairy skin does. Hair catches more crud and blood as well so after a spill, the cleanup takes a lot more out of your water bottle. My legs take a quick squirt and there's no more dirt in my scrape. There are a million reasons to shave your legs for cycling and cowardice isn't one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Gosh, if you needed a reason to explain to someone why, this is surely it. Just take them back to that shop and show them that you are a serious biker girl.

Then, just do it.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Body hair on a man can look sexy to me if it does not make him look like a gorilla but I sure don't want it on me. YUCK and GROSS are words that come to mind.

This is the exact reason I started cycling again a few years back. I swim too so it's win-win

I've said it before and I'll say it again, triathlon is the greatest sport a CDer can take up. There's even a discipline in it called 'transition'! It's like it was invented with us in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-antha View Post
    Lets be honest, road rash hardly happens, knee scrapes do and if the leg is affected it is the front where the hair is thin anyway. Probaby the reason is that cyclists are cowardly and are afraid of the pull of the sticky wound dressing .
    Actually I think that Christi has it, legs when browned and smoothed on a bike look good. Hairy legs, brown or not tend to look a bit daft on a bike. Its all in the appearance.
    ~S~
    Samantha, I don't know what sort of riding you Scots do, but most serious cyclists use pedal toe clamps, which make it very difficult to get your feet out to maintain balance, and you usually slide a loooooong way before you stop. I had a crash in gravel left over from a winter snowstorm street plowing a few years ago, and afterwards my arms (also shaven) and legs were oozing lymph for about three days. And, it was the long bones in my forearm and lower legs not my knees, which took the brunt of the abrading.

I'vee been a cyclist, road, mountain and urban for 20 + years. I always loved the excuse to shave my legs. While there are many reasons cyclists shave, most have been quoted, but they really apply to the pros. The real reason most amature road cyclists shave is pure peer presure. Nobody wants to show up for a group ride and look like tne newbie.
    As for clipless pedals, the misnamed system where your shoes attach to your pedals, any experienced rider can unclip in less than a second without thought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I ride a lot, have had my share of crashes, and have been shaving my legs for years. It makes wound care waaay easier. Legs were just the start though and frankly, I think I look good "clean" in both genders. I catch some flak for my shaved chest when I'm in guy-mode but so what. My answer is "I like it that way!"

Just do it!
    Debby
    Debby