Thread: where to start.

Question where to start.

Hello I'm new to crossdressing and would like to know how to cheaply find my size with out buying a lot of clothing (panties, bras, shirts and pants) because id rather not spend to much in the beginning. Any help would be much appreciated.

We are gonna need some more info such as weight and height. However there is a size chart in the shopping section to get you started if you don't want to disclose those.

Thrift shopping, thrift shopping and thrift shopping. Go to your local stores or chains like Goodwill and they will almost always have some nice clothes in all sizes (you may have to dig for the really cute stuff) and at a price cheaper than you can find anywhere. They sometimes have designer things if labels matter to you and at remarkable prices. You can buy baskets and baskets of clothes to find your style for the price of a pair of jeans at most large chain stores. The clothes are usually in great shape (they wouldn't take them if they weren't).

Some will sell bras and panties, some don't for health reasons. They wash and clean them at most stores but still make sure to wash any undergarments you buy before you wear them. You can also find cheap jewelry, handbags and other accessories as well.

Even you buy just one or two things, thrift shopping is probably your best bet for cheap, adorable clothes or you can buy a few outfits and try out different looks.

Lots of luck!
    Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I have to be a lady

~~Proudly Married!~~

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtanime View Post
    Hello I'm new to crossdressing and would like to know how to cheaply find my size with out buying a lot of clothing (panties, bras, shirts and pants) because id rather not spend to much in the beginning. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Here's the best advice I can give you if you haven't started CD-ing yet. Don't.

I'm 5'5'' and 150ishin weight

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    And if you already are, just try to have fun. Check websites for clothes and lingerie. They will have measurement charts with body measurements for each size item. Measure yourself and get the size that comes closest. Then you will know what to grab at WalMart, or the thrift shops.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Hey I came for advice and help not to be insulted.

Try not to pay attention to Voulez-vous this person has a bad attatude toward everyone here.

Do you know your measurements? If not, you can easily get a tape measure and learn them. THEN, you can go on Ebay and look up the category, "Crossdresser." Most of the sellers in this section sell by a garment's measurements. They know that sizing means just about nothing, as it varies very widely. You can find many very nice things in the Five to fifteen Dollar Range, and shipping usually runs around six bucks.

Further more, once you know your measurements, you can take a cheapie tape measure along with you, and visit all The Thrift Stores. A very useful set of places to begin your wardrobe. You can find just about anything.

But beware! One Caveat you need to know. Prices will look so cheap to you, there's a tendency to buy too much stuff. Know your budget, know when to stop!

peace and Love, Joanie

What sizes do you wear for shirts, pants, underwear, jackets? What is your waist size, do you have a belly, or are you relatively trim? I am 5-6, 145 sometimes, skinny legs, no ass and no hips, I have a little belly, in my very humble opinion, and am broader across the shoulders and chest. I wear a man's size 29 or 30 waist jeans, size 30 waist slacks, like Dockers, medium to small shirts (at my advanced age I am now shrinking), a size 40 short sport or suit coat, medium underwear and size 8 1/2 shoes. For women's clothes I take medium panties, size 38 (band) bra, size 6 or 8 skirts, slacks and jeans, large and sometimes medium tops if they are stretchy tops and blouses. Size 12 dress and size large jackets. Sizes 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 for women's shoes.

Now, that all sounds good, but you really need to try on stuff before buying and that recommendation to buy at thrift stores is a great one. I mostly shop there and have a fantastic wardrobe. Plus, no one I know would ever shop in one, so I am pretty safe in going there to try stuff on in male mode. Having the courage to do that will save you a lot of time and grief and probably money too by making sure it fits before paying.

The thing about women's clothes is that sizes vary all over the place by style and brand. I may get into a size 4 skirt when it is supposed to ride lower on the hips and need a size 10 when it is a more tailored and higher priced brand to be worn higher up the waist. The same goes for shoes from closed toed, to strappy, to peep toed to heels and flats. Trying them on before is really the only way to go.

Most store websites have sizing charts that are a good starting place. However, as Allie said, women's clothes sizes vary. I've tried on 2 skirts of the same size from the same manufacurer, had one fit, and one not. Also, remember that men's and women's bodies are shaped differently. What looks good on the hanger or on a model may not look good on you. In general, women carry more of their height in their legs and men carry more of their height in their torso. This is why, at 6' tall I wear a medium length (generally) jeans, and I have a lot of tops that expose my belly. Also, in a skirt or slacks I'm a size 12, but a size 16 dress may not make it around my shoulders. But a size 18 dress that fits well up top will be huge in the waste and hips.

Frustrated yet?

Don't forget to look at the "Care Instructions" label. While you are probably use to men's clothes that are "Wash and Wear", there is a lot of women's clothes that require special care. That skirt that fit perfect the first time you wore it may be too small for Barbie after you take it out of the drier. And if you're in the closet, trying to explain the frilly laundry hanging on the line in the back yard or taking it to the dry cleaner may be problematic.

Online shopping may be an alternative, most stores will allow returns. But the return shipping cost can also get expensive. Some stores, however, will allow you to return items ordered online to the local store. Also, some stores are very friendly towards CDs and will have no problems measureing you and suggesting sizes and styles, even when you are in guy mode. Generally, these include Dress Barn and Lane Bryant (Lane Bryant even has a section on their website called "Men who shop at Lane Bryant"), as well as others.
    Last edited by Roberta Marie; 05-30-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Silver Member
    Great advice from previous posts (accept for one post)! Also don't give up with the variety of female sizes which can become confusing! They range from girls, juniors, misses, womans, ladies, petites, talls, and plus sizes to name afew. Best to measure your guy clothes and your body (be honest with the numbers). Looking in the thrift stores to get female items that fit you comfortably & are low cost is wise! Start with the basics, ie- skirt, short & long sleeve tops, shorts and/or jeans, tennies, and a pair of low heels (try Payless Shoes - start one size larger than your guy shoes). As for lingerie - please buy new! Try to find clothes that you can mix-n-match with jeans or skirts. Add some long scarfs, earrings, and a basic black or dark brown purse. Observe what GGs in your age and size are wearing - colors, styles, what clothes with what shoes, jewelry, etc. Most of all - have fun in whatever you decide to wear!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Krista Doll View Post
    Try not to pay attention to Voulez-vous this person has a bad attatude toward everyone here.
    There was no bad attitude. That was good advice. CD-ing usually leads to a double life of heartache and shame. You can read about it in the majority of posts here. I'm just telling it like it is.

Thrift stores are good advice. I like consignment stores. I have one where the clerk/owner knows me and that I am a CD. She has been wonderful in helping with sizes

Even sizes are for women Odd sizes are for pettie. [ thin or short]
    I wear size 10T [tall] pants women's I have a 30 waist.
    Shoes run about 1 to 2 sizes larger. 9.5 mens is 10 to 11 womens. 10 wide works for me.
    Blouses - 38 t0 40 chest is about an x-large.

This is my experience you can adjust from there. The bottom line is to try them on. Even if you have to go to the men's dressing room. If you want to be coy. Grab a couple men pants and a woman then go to the dressing room. Most places that check only care how many you have. They will never notice one is a women's. Trying on will help you figure out your size.

Good Luck

Female clothing sizes are a mystery even to women. You can get one item from a manufacturer that fits perfectly, then one of the same size from the same manufacturer that doesn't fit. Womens' bodies can be curved differently even when the same 'number' is at the part that is being measured, such as a waist of 24 inches which can have a hip to go with it of anywhere from about 26 to 38 or larger, so the pants, dress or skirt may or may not fit, and you rarely get more than one size measurement when you buy a garment, so it's a best guess scenario. I have female clothes in my closet that range from size 20 (a dress) to 32 (a top)! I also have women's shoes that fit which clearly have size 14 marked in them, to size 17's that are too tight. My men's clothes? size 44 pants, 50 jacket, 15 or 16 shoe and (when I stand straight up, anyway) I'm six four. Basically, I understand well why women spend so much time trying on clothing, and why as a guy, I can usually buy my guy clothes in about 10 minutes.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    conversion charts conversion charts conversion charts....they are everywhere. Best thing is that these days, you can shop and return on line or in many stores without any concern or worry. Ive bought most of my clothes and heels thru Target.com because its so easy to return and the sizes are pretty consistant. As far as bras, I dont go for the 44 DDD, I try to keep it they way I like breasts...more than a mouthful is a waste. Wife has very nice B cups and thats what I tend to buy but in push ups. Panties are a personal preference. I don't wear pants unless they are womans jeans and can be firm to tuck nicely.

if your looking for shoes go 1 to 2 sizes larger in womens shoes your waste size a 34 in mens will be about a size 10 womens now when buying womens you have to becareful because there are misses , jr and womens misses are young teens jr are older teens womens well it speakes for it self hope this will help
    hugs
    Ronda

Take your measurements. Carry a tape measure with you and measure the clothes. Each manufacturer has a slight variation in bust, waist and hip measurements for a given size.

You need measurements or trial and error... I am a 16 'upstairs' because of broad shoulders and a desire to wear 36DD boobs (they go with the shoulders), but down below I have 8 to 12 skirts... Women's clothes sizes vary a lot. In the UK we have Marks and Spencer, who have a great returns policy, so they are good for figuring it out as you try on at home then take it back (okay there are conditons!)... The thin is though, once you are into a brand's sizing, it becomes easy and you become loyal. Another store I shop in, all the sizes are down on M&S... so an M&S 16 becomes an 18 or a 20...

This is one of the reasons why GGs spend so much time shopping for clothes...!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Dee is right. Take a small tape measure. Lay your jeans that fit on a table. And measure across the waist. Mine measure about 16 inches. (about 32 in circumference of course). I wear a size 10 dress. Now when you go to Goodwill or other thrift. You can discreetly measure the waist of the garment--and have a good approximation of the fit.

Of course, its more fun once you get bold. I have introduced Jennifer to many of the clerks at thrift stores. They say hi when I come in. No problem when I try on an outfit or three.

Thank you all for the help and I understand voulez-vous but this is something I've kept pushed away in the deepest parts of my mind for a while because I felt disgusted until afew days ago when I decided to mother hide anymore.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtanime View Post
    Thank you all for the help and I understand voulez-vous but this is something I've kept pushed away in the deepest parts of my mind for a while because I felt disgusted until a few days ago when I decided to mother hide anymore.
    I get that, I really do. I'm just saying if you haven't started yet, the best advice I could give you, would be not to. Once you start, it's like the Mafia, you're in for life. Look around at some of the threads. CD-ing is not all puppy dogs and rainbows all the time. But you have to do what you need to do, just think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulez-Vous View Post
    Here's the best advice I can give you if you haven't started CD-ing yet. Don't.
    Really is the best I can think of