Thread: Scooter Helmet Hair

Scooter Helmet Hair

I was just reading a thread about biking and was wondering if someone out there could give me so advice. I like to ride my two scooters around here locally. I always for safety reasons wear a helmet while riding. I tend to be lax with other safety equipment but never the helmet. My question is, I must wear a wig to go enfemme, does anyone have experience to advise me how I can park, take my helmet off and not lose my wig? I don't want to stand in public with my male bald head showing. Any advice would me greatly appreciated.

By the way I am 75 and like being a "junior member".
    Last edited by daarleane; 06-04-2012 at 08:02 AM.

How do you ride 2 scooters? were you in the circus?

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Consider a larger size helmet for one. going up one size is usually not a safety issue.

Secondly, if you were a full face helmit- look into 3/4 coverage- there are a lot of ANSI/Snell/whoever else approved designs-

scan the available models on denniskirk.com to get an idea.

i can't be much help with the wig attachment, being down in Texas, i'd imagine you might sweat a little too much for adhesive tapes to be of use (I know I would sweat too much)- but do look at different helmet designs

- also helmet/padding liners- you might have to do a little sewing, but soem satin or polyester covers of the inner pads might allow you to slip the pads over the wig easier- but beware, it might also increase the chance of the helmet coming off unintended, I've no info on this...

So, 75 and CD on a scooter (or two...:-))-- what do you wear while riding?

I never CD when i was riding my Zuki 1000G, but i had some XL womens' leather riding pants i would slip on over my jeans. I was fairly small in size so most of my stuff could be female sized L or XL. The jackets had too much curve in the figure to pass it off as not female- and i was a bigger chicken back those days than i am now.

Take care, - wheels down!

-Kristi

I’m going to be a boor here, Sorry. But I am involved in motorcycle racing.
    Don’t modify your helmet and always wear one that is the correct size.

Also Daarleane, if you come off at just 30mph without proper protective clothing its possible that you will need skin grafts. And the pain is unbaleevable!

SUZY
    Last edited by suzy1; 06-04-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Well, if you are as 'hair challenged' as I am, a full lace wig is the answer. It is held on not by elastic headband, but is tailored to fit you skull and glued or taped into place. People sleep, swim and bath in them. Often wearing them for days at a time.
    You do need some good clean hair free spots to attach them, but for me thats is pretty much the whole head!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did not know scooter helmets had hair.
    When riding a motorbike just be careful getting the helmet off and on.
    Who wants to roll up at the liquor store and whip the helmet off and the wig as well.
    A lace hairnet over the hair can help as is taping the wig to a hairless section of your head.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

My bicycle helmet has holes in it big enough to push my fingers through. Perhaps if you used one of those you could push down on the wig as you take off the helmet. Of course, if you the wig is long enough to hang below the edges of the helmet you could gently hold press the hair against the back of your neck as you pull the helmet up and forward to remove it. In any case, you probably don't want to pull it off from the front. Obviously all this will take a bit of practice at home before you do it in public.

~ Lyric ~

Use double sided wig tape available at any wig salon. It's about $5 for a pack of 25 and they hold great.
    I don't leave home without them.....
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I will try the double sided tape by starting at home and returning there. I figure I can leave the house and return while wearing the wife's jacket without any problems. Time will tell, the heat will be a big problem, it is presently in the mid nineties with no change except maybe to go higher. By the way that is why I ride a scooter as opposed to a motorcycle. Don't fancy sitting on top of that engine at a stop light.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Also Daarleane, if you come off at just 30mph without proper protective clothing its possible that you will need skin grafts. And the pain is unbelievable!
    Quoted for truth!!!

If I wear a helmet, I wear protective clothing too. You know how they get road grit out of your road-rash? With a metal brush.

And if you wear one of those half helmets that don't protect your face/jaw, you may be saving your brain, but you may also end up mangled from the face down. The call those helmets a brain bowl... (as in a helmet that will make a nice bowl for your brains... because that's all that will be left).

As for your wig question, get one of the fancier ones that you have to take time putting on... like Jess mentions. But I'd be afraid of that coming off, even partially... helmets need to be snug and they WILL tug at your hair.