Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are women's clothes so much better?

Why are women's clothes so much better?

One day my SO asked me about why I liked women's clothing so much. This is not just from being Megan, but also from the clothes that I prefer to make.

I told her that male clothing is just not as interesting. Look at it this way: Men have two main clothing options. A Shirt and Pants. Sure, there are variations on those two, but a mans shirt is pretty much consistant with itself. You've got your dress shirts and your t-shirts. There are polos and golf shirts too, but I don't really count those, because they're really just a hybrid of the first two.

Then, you've got your pants. For the most part pants are clunky and full-length. We don't have a great selection of capris or 3/4 length pants that are acceptable to wear to work. Sure, you could wear shorts too, but those are mostly baggy renditions of pants anymore.

Women's clothing, on the other hand, has infinite variety! Blouses can combine with camisoles to create different looks. Dresses are an almost complete ensemble! Skirts, skorts, capries, tank-tops, and so forth. You can buy a women's shirt that has long sleeves, no sleeves, short sleeves, 3/4 sleeves or just straps. And SOCKS! OMG! You've got so many different varieties of socks, I don't know where to start!

This is my perception of why Women's clothing is so much better. What do you all think?

Gold Member
    You forgot to mention that womens clothes are much softer for the most part.
    The feel of a peti coat under a large skirt on your legs is divine.
    The sexiness of a strapless gown, and a long train on a formal is unbelievably.
    Rader

Beautiful Girl to Nikki ♥ Billiebluenose1878 GG's Avatar
    Well ... unfortunatly us girls are greedy and are like the male peacock .... want to look HOT and attract the one you have the hots for or not just coz you wanna look great .. and clothing stores are filling our need for beautiful clothes ..... and one outfit or piece of jewelry or bags shoes etc are never enough .... as a GG i love clothes too so the man end up with the not so sexy outfits ....

Just my opinion

Billie xxxx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]To wake up and see SweetNikki i love by my side happy is very special and important to me xxxxx
    In life ... we dont lose friends .... we discover who our real friends really are ....

Cariad a Cwtches xxxxx

Love everyone equally and tolerate all xxxxx

@WelshbirdBillie on Twitter

you got a lot of it, plus as someone else mentioned, femme apparel such as undies are silky, satiny, lacy and soft! and the colors! like most gurls I adore shiny, glittery, sequined things. men wearing such things get unfriendly looks unless they are rock stars!
    the higher the heels, the closer to heaven.

Beautiful Girl to Nikki ♥ Billiebluenose1878 GG's Avatar
    Or the emo kids .... xxx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]To wake up and see SweetNikki i love by my side happy is very special and important to me xxxxx
    In life ... we dont lose friends .... we discover who our real friends really are ....

Cariad a Cwtches xxxxx

Love everyone equally and tolerate all xxxxx

@WelshbirdBillie on Twitter

Silver Member
    Personal preference and the current trends of our society? lol...

If men wanted choice, they would have choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bree_K View Post

Well... I want choice. I want skirts.

Ok, here it is! REVOLUTION time... We need to start a fashion movement that encourages men to wear more skirts.... Or would it be more men to wear skirts?

MORE SKIRTS (either way)

Banned Read only
    While I do agree with the variety statements, I think this is really just a justification of crossdressing. I would be a crossdresser if the variety were fewer. It's just a nice benefit

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan_Renee View Post
    Well... I want choice. I want skirts.

Ok, here it is! REVOLUTION time... We need to start a fashion movement that encourages men to wear more skirts.... Or would it be more men to wear skirts?

MORE SKIRTS (either way)
    Well... that's why cross dressers are cross dressers lol... You'll never convince enough average Joe's to start a revolution over not having skirts :P

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Quote Originally Posted by BilliebabeGG View Post
    Well ... unfortunatly us girls are greedy and are like the male peacock .... want to look HOT and attract the one you have the hots for or not just coz you wanna look great .. and clothing stores are filling our need for beautiful clothes ..... and one outfit or piece of jewelry or bags shoes etc are never enough .... as a GG i love clothes too so the man end up with the not so sexy outfits ....

Just my opinion

Billie xxxx
    i loved this comment, true

Well... that's why cross dressers are cross dressers lol... You'll never convince enough average Joe's to start a revolution over not having skirts :P
    Ok. You're right... We need to put something in the water... ::giggle::

Agree! Most men just want to grab the jeans and tee shirt off the floor and give a quick "sniff test" to make sure they aren't ready for the washer just yet. IMO, men aren't generally designed to want clothing choice. That makes things too complicated! Open up the closet of an average married couple. Woman - 8 casual dresses, 2 formal dresses, skirts galore, tops tops tops, and 17 pairs of shoes...(dress shoes that is, she also has 4 pair of tennis shoes, 8 pair of sandals, some dressy sandals, and some casual flats). Her clothes take up 80% of the walk in closet. The other 20 % is for the man. He has 3 button up shirts, 4 tee shirts, 2 pair of jeans (one for every day wear and one for special occasions), a pair of tennis shoes , an old pair of work boots, and a new pair of work boots (which double as dress shoes for the 'special occasion' jeans). The rest of his 20% of space has guns, fishing gear, and a supply of old magazines that he never intends to look at again (they might be worth something one day...)

I agree with Bree, most men do not want choice.

Platinum Member
    Womens clothes just are better. This is one of those unanswerable 'why ' questions. Learn to accept and Enjoy!

Yep, men do not want the choice. Those that do then need to deal with being the exceptions to the norm.

Now, you also have those that want to simplify what they consider complicated, or are already simplifying and do not want to complicate their own clothing choices. Why have women gone from house dresses and low heels during the 50's to wearing more slacks and jeans and shorts when doing everyday things, including shopping? To me it is simplification of their dressing style into something comfortable, easy to wear and easier to select out of the closet and clothes dressers. They do sometimes want to adapt male clothing style (as boring and drab as they may seem) because they can easily grab something to get dressed and get out of the house quickly without all the routine of outfit selection, makeup and whatever. I congratulate them for being so practical!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    This is actually quite a complicated topic. As an overview, I don't crossdress because of the clothes. I wear the clothes because I crossdress!

But consider: Men's clothes aren't all that varied. What do we have? Shirt color. Pants color. Those are the biggies. Differences in tailoring are small, as are fabric choice. The big possibilities are tie designs (and/or the little pocket brightness )

Women have all this too, with a bigger color range, and a bigger design range. Then they get to add skirts and dresses of every manner possible! Not to mention lingerie and stockings and the shoe variability is immense!

But all that takes TIME!!! How many guys want to worry about what they are putting on! Heck, it's lucky their socks are the same color, and that's if they own different colors of socks! Trade off ease for variability!

So, if the general male population wanted changes and variation, it would happen overnight. I wouldn't hold my breath

This is my perception of why Women's clothing is so much better. What do you all think?
    I'm with Jenniferathome

I'm not wanting to be antagonistic (really ), but the argument that women's clothes are so much better because they are softer, silkier, more colorful, more comfortable, etc, is in my opinion a rationalization. Men's clothes are also soft (cashmere sweaters), silky (silk bathrobe or silk shirt), colorful (shirts come in all sorts of colors now), and comfortable (there are microfiber slacks, unstructured jackets, flannel items, BVDs made out of stretchy, comfy material), they even have male thongs that hold everything in place!

The truth is, women's clothing are better because they are feminine and CDers get a kick out of presenting themselves in a feminine manner. It makes you feel pretty, which in turn makes you feel sexy.
    Reine

I think ReineD said it all. Of course we don't have any men's bras, slips, night gowns, peignoirs, hose and heels. So we are just stuck wearing women's. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDYJ View Post
    Of course we don't have any men's bras, slips, night gowns, peignoirs, hose and heels. So we are just stuck wearing women's. lol
    Right. And unless it is a super well constructed bra that fits to a tee, no one can tell me that bras are more comfortable than wearing none at all. Or girdles, control top pantyhose, and any number of constraining items. Exciting for CDers? Absolutely. But comfortable?
    Reine

The average dude is perfectly fine with his lack of choices.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Banned Read only
    Evolution 101. Men [in general] are much more visually oriented than women. Women in essence are dressing to compete for men. Many more styles, colors etc., offer women a much better CHANCE to wear apparel that will enhance their own particular PHYSICAL features, be it legs, butts, boobs, face, hair whatever.

Obviously, some women are very good at this and some aren't. Or possibly have no desire for a Relationship of ANY kind with a man or a woman so never "dress to impress" regardless of the occasion.

Sad but true. Most men are stuck with the social rules of "Men can only wear this, while women can wear whatever" It stinks but we're currently stuck with it. And fashion designers, even though they are trying to promote the idea, don't help with their very feminine designs. Most men, if they were even interested, would rather have a masculine looking skirt. The prices don't help either.

Ok, so what I hear you saying is that I need to go back to the 1700's... ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lo..._of_France.jpg

Ok, so what I hear you saying is that I need to go back to the 1700's... ;-)

LOL. Don't forget Megan, if you had been born at a time when men wore this:

You would instead have wanted to wear this:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...run_-_1783.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    Women in essence are dressing to compete for men.
    I have three sons. Trust me, when they're out wanting to attract females, they pay a great deal of attention to all facets of their appearance. But they'd never let anyone else know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    Obviously, some women are very good at this and some aren't. Or possibly have no desire for a Relationship of ANY kind with a man or a woman so never "dress to impress" regardless of the occasion.
    And believe it or not, there are also people on this planet who are far more aroused by someone's mind or their accomplishments than the frou-frou of modern fashion. Still, there are some very attractive females walking around campus in my town who are on a student budget wearing jeans and Tshirts. This doesn't seem to prevent college guys from chasing after them.

My point is, you're making some pretty broad statements without considering large pockets of individuals who don't fall into your view of things.
    Reine

It's not about what you wear...It's how your wear it..
    And the only thing holding back in mens fashion...is MEN.
    I'm always hounding my favorite sporting good store to get men's running shoes in the cool color combinations women get...My favorite colors, my reds, whites, power blues, golds, pinks...are almost always in the women's section..

Especially colors like powder blue and yellow...Which can be a men's color....Just ask the San Diego Chargers

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Because they have so much style, they fit better, and they sure as heck look better. All the reasons why I crossdress!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!