Thread: Dressing at a Renaissance Festivals

Dressing at a Renaissance Festivals

Have any you been to a Renaissance Festival dressed? I'm kinda thinking about going to one but would like dress in appropriate period clothing.

margo

Hi Hon
    I would say go for it if you are out and about.That said The individual festavals have differing policys.Some say only performers and staff in costume to avoid confusing the Public.Others allow costuming only rented from the festival Others still encourage the public in costume.best to check with the Festival you want to attend on the question of attending in costume.
    attending in modern attire should be no more a problem than going any where else dressed. keep in mind there are crowds and alcohol so normal watchfulness should be the norm.
    Above all have fun and enjoy how ever you dress
    Hugs Annette
    Last edited by Annette_boy; 06-07-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo
    "It takes more courage for a man to appear in public wearing a dress than to charge into battle"

Me July 2005

That sounds like fun, but I think the expense would be prohibitive for me.
    Buying an outfit to wear that would fit with the theme would break the bank right now. If I was into that more than just to do it once it would be great fun.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Well I was just in Arizona and went to a festival, public was encourged to dress. I did and was a costume out of ordinary clothes, just accossorised in the proper fashion, me and my daughters and grankids had a ball and never a discourging word. I could not have had a better time

Better than Halloween, you can wear some lovely dresses.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gold Member
    The Renaissance festable starts at the end of June and runs through August at the Illinois-Wisconsin Border @
    the Interstate 94.
    I have gone in the past, but with a $30.00 entrance fee, and I can not walk very far any more, I
    Think I will pass. I wonder how people could stand wearing all those clothes in the summer heat.
    Rader

Laura did you dress enfemme?

RenFair is probably the friendliest environment you can find to go about dressed. After all, there are people dressed (beautifully) as fairies, elves, and ogres so a CDer doesn't even draw any notice. Persephone and I went to the SoCal RenFair dressed a few weeks ago and I wrote of our experience and included a few photos in this thread:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...29!&highlight=
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Here's me from last years Colorado Ren Fest! I hope to go this year but I want to find something sexier to wear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Me, my sis, an her boyfriend are gonna go to one this year, an I actually thought of growing my beard out an wearing costume but i'm considering shaving an going in a dress.

It's so great to see that some of you ladies enjoyed the Festivals so much. Now if I can just find one in the Northeast I'd be willing to try going. And I so want to try a nice corset on.
    Persephone, I loved your post and I'm sorry I didn't see it before. Is it Santa Fe, NM that you went to?

Hugs,

margo

I've gone to the Maryland Renfest a couple of times en femme.

Not only did I go en femme, but I rented my "Wench" costume from the rental shop there.

http://www.rennfest.com/index.php?op...=30&Itemid=104

No, that's not me, but a pic of the costume.

Everyone was really cool, especially the girls at the costume rental shop.

And I got some wonderful "atta girl" looks and comments from some GGs.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by xcdmargo View Post
    Persephone, I loved your post and I'm sorry I didn't see it before. Is it Santa Fe, NM that you went to?
    I think that you were referring to the post about Persephone and me visiting the Southern California RenFair. We didn't go "in costume," but our outfits didn't clash with the Renniasance theme.

I did try on a lace-up bodice and developed considerable respect for those ladies who wear them. Breathing became optional and I just about burst my forms!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I've been to faires in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas in female attire. But a full outfit may cost you over $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Annette_boy View Post
    The individual festavals have differing policys.Some say only performers and staff in costume to avoid confusing the Public.Others allow costuming only rented from the festival
    Hugs Annette
    I've been to just about every ren fare in Texas and never have I seen any policy like this. They all are very encouraging of patrons coming in costume here.
    Here are pics from this years Scarborough Fare in Waxahachie Texas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    They usually want people dressed at the events due to the fact it's public.

If you meant "been to a Renaissance Festival dressed femininely", then yes, I have been.