Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ears pierced. Couple of questions

Getting ears pierced. Couple of questions

For quite a few months (around 6 or more) i have been considering getting my ears pierced. This is because I love all the earrings out there and also it is a nice way of expressing part of myself when in male clothes as there is a massive selection of studs out there.

Now I am going to get both ears done. I know a local shop that does various body piercings and they have a good reputation so I would trust them to do my ears.

Now for my questions:

From what I understand when an ear is pierced a simple gold stud is placed in it and that cannot be removed for 6-8 weeks as the hole heals up and forms around the stud. You also apply cleaner to the ear to help stop infection and help it heal.

1) Does it have to be gold studs that go in at first? I know gold is one of the few metals not to cause the human body any issues but are there more.... natural and less obvious first time studs that can go it or is it always small gold ball studs?

2) Can I change the studs while my ears heal up or do they have to stay in place for the full length of time?

3) 2) I will face an issue at work. The owner of the firm I work at is not a lover of body jewellery outside of women with earrings. She will not like my having my ears pierced but in fairness I am not going to pander to her feelings. This is my body, my image and she will have to deal with it. I am just wondering how people here would approach it. I was going to let the office manager (and my direct boss) know so she is aware and she will prob tell the big boss. But should I go to the big boss first? What would people here do?

just need some thoughts as I will be getting this done in the next 4-5 weeks when I am on leave for 2 weeks from work as this at least gives me two weeks to get them healing up.

Thanks

Klaire;

First let me say "good choice" by having this piercing done by a pro.

To your questions:

1) There is some choice when it comes to the metal and styles of the initial earrings. I went with a stainless steel captive ball ring. It is one that is more accepted by people on the male figure as it appears more industrial. Discuss the options with the piercer and make your choice.

2) Removing the earrings during the healing process can lead to infection from foreign bodies when the earrings are re inserted. I would advise against, unless your piercer says otherwise.

3) Yes, it is your body and you may do as you wish with it. I doubt that getting pierced ears would be a firing offense. Again, you may wish to look at something more "manly" during the initial period. It may be more easily accepted by your employer and the people with whom you associate. Once the "novelty" wears off, changing to something more feminine will likely go unnoticed.
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.

Congratulations

1) Always have them professionally done to avoid as many complications (read infection) as possible. Most will use gold studs as they are the standard. Some will use a stud with a stainless steel post...also good. This is because many people react to other metals like silver and this can lead to problems.

2) Leave them in for the duration. For me that was just over 4 weeks though they recommend 6-8 weeks to be certain the healing is complete. Starter studs differ from regular ones as they generally have a pointed post that does the piercing. Removing this is sometimes easy (the backs are on very good to prevent loss), but reinstalling them in unhealed holes can be like trying to thread a sewing needle into those new holes...not a good idea. Best just leave them in until you are healed. Use a solution they provide or Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton swab to clean the front and back a few times a day and also make sure to wash your hands before you do. While you're at it turn the studs a few times to be sure the skin doesn't capture the stud or it will open the skin again when you remove it and you will be back at square one.

3) Don't say anything to anyone. If someone comments just say, "How do you like them?". You are under no obligation to tell anyone why. Just be nice and non-committal and you will probably receive very few comments or questions anyway.

Be patient...soon enough you will be able to enjoy any style you like.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Stainless steel is another alternative. Talk to the piercer about what gauge to use, 12 or 10 look good but most women's earrings are 18 or 20 gauge. My ears are zero gauge but i have second holes that are about 20 gauge in each ear, right now i am wearing a stainless steel flesh tunnel and a big silver hoop right above it in each ear.

And, for the record, nobody gives me any crap about my piercings.
    Last edited by April_Ligeia; 07-07-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

i had mine peirced about a year ago, and i still love them. i usually wear small hoop earrings for "everyday wear" . you may want to check with your works dress-code to make sure that this falls with-in their guide-lines. if it doesnt and you signed anything stating that you will comform to these rules, you may be up for disiplinary actions.
    for myself, there were no such rules.......so i went for it, and i took ALOT of crap for the first week or two from my fellow workers (im in the construction feild) but after they saw that i didnt reaaly care what they thought of my earrings, it quickly died off, tho i do still to this day get a "fruit-cake" or "fairy" comment here and there.
    hopefully you will enjoy your earrings as much as i do. just remeber to keep them clean, twist the posts a few times a day, and for goodness sakes, go out shopping and find some earrings that you like .....the 6 to 8 weeks goes by quickly!

When I've had things pierced in a parlor, they used a stainless steel hoop. The studs come with the use of a little gun, which is totally sealed and airtight and sterile but far more painful than piercing with a hollow needle.

I have heard that some places will use clear medical grade plastic studs.

Aspiring Member

A slightly different opinion

My wife pierced my ears over a year ago, the mechanics of the operation are a different post.

As for not removing the original earrings; well I changed mine twice daily so that I could clean the piercing and the earrings with alcohol. I used sterling silver because it has an inherent germicidal property but stainless steel should also be OK (unless you are allergic to nickel).

Mine healed fine and I had no problems. You just have to be "gentle" inserting the earrings while the hole is healing.

Good luck with the earrings, you will love them.
    Sandra1746

When I had mine done I was advised to remove them once a week and use some hydrogen peroxide to clean the site and to clean the studs with some alcohol before reinserting them. I did this and had no problems at all. No infections and no closing of the holes. I had no problems with those I worked with or for, or any negative comments from those I associated with. Just the opposite. Compliments and those wishing they had the guts to do the same.

I'm getting mine done!

I would like to get my ears pierced some time as well, but not right now. This is what I've learned from searching for information on the web.

Titanium contains the least nickel, a common allergen. Niobium is another safe material. Implantable surgical steel is very common, but it contains significant nickel. They claim the nickel is chemically bound within the alloy, but there is likely a trace amount that is not.

The back clasps tend to keep the air away from the piercing and can hold infectious material close to the hole. This is not the best situation, but a lot of people get away with it.

Stay away from plated (any metal) earrings. Traces of the (usually toxic) electrolyte are always left behind. With gold, one of the components is cyanide.

Babeba is correct about the needle. Needles come extremely sharp, sterilised, and they cut a clean hole, which is why it is less painful than a gun. The clean hole also tends to heal quicker.

For me, it would be a titanium barbell in a hole made by a needle, but it is entirely up to you. The other choice is a captive ball ring. These both let the air at both sides of the piercing and allow easy cleaning on both sides.

It is best to wear the earrings for the entire healing period without removal, and wear something light in the holes continuously for four to six months after piercing.

As for cleaning, follow the directions provided by the piercing technician, I do know that alcohol is not the right cleaning agent, as it tends to remove too much of the natural oil on our skin and doesn't do the best job of keeping things sterile.

[QUOTE=Babeba;2895341]. The studs come with the use of a little gun, which is totally sealed and airtight and sterile but far more painful than piercing with a hollow needle./QUOTE]

They must have done something wrong if the gun was painful.
    Mine were done with the gun and it was little more than a pinch and over in an instant.

Mine were done with a gun also. Not a bit of pain really. I was nervous about that until I saw a 3 year old girl get hers pierced right before me and only reacted with a huge smile.
    1.Most places will suggest gold with piercing studs as to reduce the chances of infection. (Also making a better sale) I personally rarely wear natural gold jewelry, so i opted for white gold studs.
    2. Yes, you should wait the 6 week minimum before trying to change them. I thought waiting 4 weeks would be enough...I was wrong and it reopened the scar tissue. Had to wait even longer for being impatient.
    3. Clearly a double standard is what you're speaking of here. But to be safe I would run it by someone first. Not sure if the Big boss is where i would start though, unless you're using it to segway into something more pressing like "hey, btw the building is also on fire!"
    Hope it all goes well. You'll love yourself for doing this, and sure to get compliments by the dozen.
    The meaning of life is to win the human race, or maybe, it's just finding the perfect shoes.

I went to a place that did tattoos and piercings and made sure they had good reviews on Google before going.
    It did cost more but everything was sterile, clean, and the guy doing it had lots of experience.

IMHO You're much better off getting it done by the pros.

For aftercare I soak each ear in hot water with a 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt for about 5 minutes, other than that I leave them the hell alone.

Good luck!

Aspiring Member
    Klaire, I don't remember much about when I got mine done. I do remember advise I got form someone though and that is to make sure they put the pierceing well up on the ear lobe, not below the halfway point anyway, so it will not sag as easily when you put heavy earrings in. The other thing to remember is to wait the full time before you put in anything but studs, you have to have full healing. I didn't have a problem, but I rushed it a little and I think it made one ear harder to get a ring in for quite a while. You have to WAIT!
    As far as others asking you, I just said, "everybody has pierced ears now, I am just keeping in style." Which is true too. Go for it, and enjoy, Sherrii

I have had mine pierced since I was 13 years (rebellious teen years, I guess!) I have since acquired more, both at the Claire's type mall stores and at tattoo parlors. Tattoo parlors usually go with a hollow needle and can accomodate hoops, along with the standard studs. Claires, and the like, because they use a piercing gun, generally only pierce with studs. Generally cheaper as well! Stick with stainless, gold or titanium, and don't take them out. You don't want to introduce foreign matter into the fresh wound. My first ones, in the lobes, were healed in about 4 weeks, but remember, your mileage may vary. Nothing beats a pair of dangling chandelier earrings, brushing up against your shoulders and neck. Enjoy!

Did mine years ago with a darning needle, and a potato behind the ear. I DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS! No infections, but I used to work in medicine. In my denial years, I rode with a bike club and it was normal it have pierced ears. There's one other guy in our shop with piercings; 4 per ear. He's a lot younger than me, but nobody gives either one of us any crap.

Silver Member
    As others have said, it's nobody's business. Go ahead and do it. Don't ask.

If you are REALLY worried, get little gold or silver crosses and tell people God told you to do it. That should shut them up.

Keep them clean.

S

I know in Michigan we have what's called "at-will employment", meaning that they can fire you for any reason or no reason.
    When all else fails............................... Read the directions!

[QUOTE=Cheryl T;2895694]
    Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    . The studs come with the use of a little gun, which is totally sealed and airtight and sterile but far more painful than piercing with a hollow needle./QUOTE]

They must have done something wrong if the gun was painful.
    Mine were done with the gun and it was little more than a pinch and over in an instant.
    At the time it is a pinch, but afterwards (later in the day, the next day, and the next week or so) it is a lot more painful with the gun. There is a lot of pressure from both sides of the ear with the gun, rather than just enough to go through the ear and no more with the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post

"At the time it is a pinch, but afterwards (later in the day, the next day, and the next week or so) it is a lot more painful with the gun. There is a lot of pressure from both sides of the ear with the gun, rather than just enough to go through the ear and no more with the needle."
    I have to agree with Cheryl T.'s comment:
    "They must have done something wrong if the gun was painful.
    Mine were done with the gun and it was little more than a pinch and over in an instant. "

I had mine done with a gun and had no pain at that time or since. I had mine done by a mall store called Piercing Pagoda. They sold me the gold studs and ear cleaning solution and then did the piercing for free.

Joanie B
    Last edited by Joanie B; 07-08-2012 at 11:58 PM.

I've had seven piercings, most with guns. I don't think I would ever use one again, it is well worth the money for the needles. My last piercing site barely got red, it looked like an old piercing a few hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseyD View Post
    I know in Michigan we have what's called "at-will employment", meaning that they can fire you for any reason or no reason.
    That's not uncommon especially in smaller companies. And while there may be laws or contracts that would prevent a man from being fired for piercing his ears, except in government or union workplaces, it's usually possible to find a way to fire someone or make him quit if the boss wants to get rid of him (or her).

On the other hand, if you are a valuable employee, competent in your duties, reliable as far as showing up and being on time, and get along with customers and co-workers, it's unlikely you would be fired for something as insignificant as piercing your ears.

Now if you do something really shocking like the big hoops in April_Ligeia's photo above and are in a position to interact with conservative customers (a stock broker for example), you might have a problem with your employer. Working in a factory or construction site should not be a problem.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I would like to get my ears pierced, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of explaining to friends and family why a "senior citizen" would decide to pierce his ears after all this time.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    I would like to get my ears pierced, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of explaining to friends and family why a "senior citizen" would decide to pierce his ears after all this time.
    Then don't ... Just say, "I always wanted to and now I did".
    Some people always wanted to climb a mountain or go skydiving...

Linda, I had mine done at 54 years of age. To those few who asked, I simply said: "It was cheaper than a Porsche".
    Inside every good man, there is a good woman.