Thread: My interesting trip to the ER

My interesting trip to the ER

I was having trouble breathing starting earlier in the week and it was getting worse, so I figured it was time to go in and get checked out. Well to make a long story short, I had formed a blood clot in my arm and it had moved into my lungs making for a bad situation. So they threw me into the hospital and started me on blood thinners, which I am supposed to take forever now, since I had a previous clot about 15 years ago, evidently I am prone to them. So anyway, I had my toe nails painted a real nice hot pink and I was a little nervous about that, but I wasn't going to take the time to remove it before I went in. To my surprise all of the women who saw them were quite cool about it, they even wanted to know what the color was, one gal said they looked really nice. I was amazed to say the least, I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction at all. So I guess another small step for me, even though it wasn't under the best of circumstances...

Heather
    Last edited by Heather1129; 06-23-2012 at 12:18 PM.

My main concern is that you are ok! Concern about the hospital staff is nill! They've seen it all! I make sure everytime I go in! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

So sorry to hear about your blood clot, Heather! Hope the blood thinners work and that you are on the mend soon!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Heather, I'm so glad you went to the ER to have your condition checked out. When it comes to your health, painted nails are way down the list. Having the acceptance does make your day a little brighter. HOT PINK, it is!!! Cheers, VSJ.

I also hope that you are OK. I've had three trips to the ER over the past few years and always received good comments about my painted toe nails. Nothing to worry about.

Rather than delete the thread for being in the wrong section.. i have moved it to the main MtF section.... as the post is more about painted toes and acceptance....

glad your feeling ok though....
    [CENTER] Be sure the brain is engaged, before putting the mouth into gear

[SIZE="3"]Sam and I Are Now Together[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Member

Get well soon Heather

Glad to hear that they caught the blood clot early on. Keep on top of this condition, you have a lot more cross dressing and toenail painting to do.

Enjoy life and get well soon,
    Sandra1746

Thumbs up

Glad you're feeling better and no one gave you trouble about your painted toes.

About the blood thinners: I seem to remember from one of the health letters my mother gets (Mayo clinic, UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, Health after 50, etc) that there are some foods that interact with some blood thinners. Perhaps this might be worth checking out, as it may affect the dose of thinners.

Silver Member
    Great to know your health is good. A blood clot like that could have ruined your whole day. I recently took my beautifully pedicured red toenails to the ER. Nothing as serious as your condition; mine turned out to be gout. The doctors, some male, some female, studied my feet intensely and made no comment about my nails, even though I'm pretty sure they saw them. The only comment I got was from the X-ray Technician; she told me they looked great! I don't make a point any more of either hiding or flaunting my nails. Either they are seen or they aren't, and with each outing, I get more comfortable with the fact that negative feedback just doesn't exist in the way we feared it would.

Gold Member
    Please get well soon.
    Now that you are on blood thinners, (My Wife is now for 15 years) Look forward to blood
    test every couple of weeks, than at least once a month. To check that the dose you are taking
    is correct for you. They will ask you to stay away from Vitamin "K", That is dark Green Veg's,
    Like Spinach, Broccoli, Asparaguses, etc.
    With a little caution, you will be feeling great in no time.
    Rader

You are right. Vitamin K will reduce the blood thinner effectiveness. It is found in green foods like salads, but also in multi vitamins. If you take a multivitamin make sure it doesn't have Vitamin K. Other than that, glad they liked your toes painted. When your life is at risk, it is probably the last thing they think about.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/warfarin/AN00455

I went to the ER a couple months ago with 2 clots in a cardiac artery. I had been dressed up earlier that evening, and did wash off makeup and remove fingernail polish, before going to bed. No more than laid down and symptoms started.
    Hope all is going well now Heather!

Im so happy you are well. This kind of note makes me always aware how fragile our lives are. One minute we are all worried about being
    (discovered) as a crossdresser and the next if we will live or die. Makes the (discovery) kind of second in line thing doesn't it..

Hi Heather,

I am glad to hear that you are fine and that you caught the problem in-time so that you don't have any permanent damage.

Regarding the nail polish - It is not a big deal. There have been a lot of articles in the mainstream media about males wearing nail polish and all of the actors, athletes, rock stars, and other performers that are wearing nail polish. Most mainstream folks have heard something about it. I just returned from a large party in male mode wearing women's sandals and perfectly pedicured red toenails. I received compliments from 4 women that loved my polish and it was a good conversation started. If you are confident in yourself, you will not have any problems.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

I had a heart attack while wearing panties, went to the hospital and ended up with a triple bypass. Somehow the panties didn't seem like much of an issue. I don't recall the procedure in the operating room stopping or the news media being called. Could it just be that no one cared?

wound up in ER after a car wreck, with Britte red toe nails, even had a male tech tell me the color was nice. I did notice a couple of Candy Strippers pointing me out and giggling when I checked out, but the grown ups acted like it was normal. I spent a few years on blood thinners, carefully with the bruising and small cuts, keep lots of bandages handy, I know I needed them. Glad you came through it alright.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Oh wow.. I'm glad you're okay Heather!

Painted toenails were the least of your worries. They've seen it all anyways. So cool they took it in stride and you even got compliments. Take care of yourself.

Heather,
    I am glad you went in, as is everyone here I'm sure, but just like them...screw hospital staff's reactions, I am just happy you're safe and getting the bigger concern taken care of. Megan
    P.S. what would wearing scrubs do for the CD world, if everyone wore the same thing as everyone else.

I had a simliar situation when I fell off a ladder and was taken to the emergency room with french pedicure toe nails and pink Victoria Secret panties, both seen by doctors, nurses and x-ray techs; nothing said. It didn't bother me; actaully enjoyed showing off my femininity.

Jennnifer