Thread: Fiance and myself ready to leave redneckville. Looking at options...

Fiance and myself ready to leave redneckville. Looking at options...

I made introduction thread about myself and talked about my current living situation. It was for some reason removed so can't link it. Anyway to try to keep it brief (I am wordy) I am just pure cross dresser with no want/desire to be a woman. I am happy just being a man that likes to dress up... Which has turned about into a 24/7 thing at this point unless its out in public. I'm 6'7 250 pounds with very manly build. I could never pass but I do go out in tops that are female but look unisex. I also wear womens jeans but that's it. If I could go out in public I would. Quite frankly my future wife has bought me hundreds of dollars of clothing and could careless if I never did put on another pair of boxers again. Which... I wouldn't if I had a choice hahaha. Anyhow...

We both are extremely open minded and very liberal people. Both are getting ready to finish college (2nd degree for both of us. We are in mid 30s). We live in very back woods rural Kentucky. Long story how we got here but neither of us belong here at all nor want to be. We have no social life, we can't make friends as we are so different, there is no activities in the area out side of church, and quite honestly... If I went out dressed fully I would get either two things happen. Surrounded by people taking pictures, or I would be a victim of a hate crime. I am not overstating this... I really would be. We are in a "very" bad and violent place. The women around here don't wear skirts let alone the men. It was a fluke we had to come here at all.

So we are thinking its time for us to head out. We thankfully have been able to save up "some" money, got good degrees, and going to be soon married.

I have done some digging on internet to find places to travel to and check out. It came to me though... Who better to ask about suggestions on good places they live or have been than here on the cross dresser forums! Heh, if anyone should know I suspect some here would since I suspect being open minded is a trait one would find with most cross dressers Some places we might set on our summer time agenda to check out!

So... Anyone got any suggestions?

btw I am not just looking for a place to cross dress in public. We want place might be able to raise a kid that principle doesn't advise the parents to teach their kids "how to fight" (no joke, real advice my brother got on his son when we went to school about his son being bullyed). He was twelve btw...

A place with culture, liberal minded people who aren't going to judge a Mexican for being a Mexican alone (We have population of about 3% Mexicans who are LOATHED). A place where we might find people like us and heaven forbid we could have other friends than each other again. And hey if its a place where guy can go out in skirt and not get beaten up by gang of the local drunks/druggies even better. Keep in mind I am 6'7 and 250 saying this lol.

So! Any suggestions! )

There are lots of places that would meet your requirements, but first consider what the job market will be that meets your degrees. Once you find some locations that would provide both of you an acceptable job oportunty you can narrow it down and those here might be abke to offer better advise.

Untitled
    Just a side note, your introduction thread is still on the forum, it was not deleted but closed in accordance with forum policy, you can find it here.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I am six foot six, can relate. I live in a somewhat redneck area, but not near as much as your area. I still fear going out in this town. Cops would be talking to me, and women hiding their kids.

There seems to be a corelation between anti-prejudism and northern states, meaning, the further north you live the less prejudice the people are. Just an observation I have witnessed over the years. That's not to say there aren't lot's of places in the deep south that are equally good. And of course, employment conditions will be a major deciding factor.

I could hear the "Beverly Hillbillies" theme echoing in my head as I read your message. Or maybe it was "Dueling Banjos."

It would help to know what professional field you're in, or would like to be. And whether you prefer big cities, the suburbs, medium towns, or rural areas (obviously, not the one you're in now). Snow Belt or Sun Belt?

- Diane

I would normally suggest the Pacific Northwest. It is a nice climate not to cold, not too hot and socially very accepting. Clean water, clean air too. But not the excitement of a place like New York or Los Angeles.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

San Fransisco is very accepting, but expensive place to live. New York the same. Phoenix and Minnesota are good places and not as expensive. Austin is pretty liberal, but it's getting too expensive to live here too.

Good luck with your search~
    Define "normal"

Depends on your level of urbanness. You can happily disappear into almost any large city. If you don't want the gigantic metro, though, I'd say look at college towns -- Madison, Ann Arbor, Eugene, Lawrence, Bloomington, etc. More tolerant, usually a trans/GLBT presence of some vibrancy.

good luck!

Go north to Columbus, Ohio. You will fit right in in the city or the suburbs.

There was a thread a few months ago requesting information about accepting cities and areas. The list of cities ended up being spread out all over the US and even in places assumed to be less tolerant. Any larger city is going to have large areas where acceptance levels are excellent. Try a Google search for transgender groups or businesses in an area and see what you find. It would be an imperfect measure, but may give you a sense of how open and active an area may be. You may even be able to contact someone in a group and get their sense of how friendliness of an area.

Silver Member
    Move to a state where there are jobs and economic stability (i.e. not the northern rustbelt), the deeper south and southwest are generally doing well right now (if I could move FL and TX are appealing right now.) If you can move to a larger city down that way they are probably going to be as tolerant as one could expect in most areas.

You didn't Tell us just what you are looking for besides just a liberal population. Big city's are easy. Small city's are nice and can be good, towns, and smaller can be a little more Conservative. Big city's are easier for the job market, but small areas have the advantage in life style, unless you are looking for night life. Here, I live in an area filled with state and national parks all around us. We have the pacific ocean on one side, and the great coastal redwood forest on the other, mild weather with plenty of outdoors activities. We have different festivals around here, all most weekly, it's the way we find entertainment, in small towns. especially when we have a lot of tourist coming here. But like so many small town now days. good paying jobs are not that easy to find, unless you work at the university, or banking. For those with your education, many here go into Public service, we have an aging population here, and use up a lot of people in the medical Fields, and Senior services.
    Thanks to the university, we have a very active gay and transgendered group or two in the area. Although I don't know what happened to the trans group , since the coffee shop they met in has closed down, I'll have to look that up. Oh, the place I'm talking about is Eureka, CA, try Humboldtqueer.com to learn more about the lgbt community here in northern California.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Gold Member
    You do not want to come to Chicago Land..... Taxes will kill you here.
    Rader

Aspiring Member

I live in Maryland

Not knowing what sort of work you are looking for, or are qualified for makes a recommendation difficult but Maryland is really diverse. It is also pretty liberal (in parts) or conservative (in other parts). Chances are you could find a place to fit here. The job market is also one of the better ones in the country.

The weather is generally good and you can do cities (Baltimore or Washington) or rural and be able to commute between them. There are lots of other good places, just look around and see where your skills and interests fit.

Good luck,
    Sandra1746

I dunno . . . . . I live in Kentucky and Robyn has had a great time there. Over many years have met wonderful friends who have accepted Robyn for who she is. I have lived in most parts of the country. The Pacific NW was pretty clickie, however, there is a great group of girls up near Everett. South, is a decent place. DC area has lots of girls and is pretty active.

The most accepting and open armed part of the country I lived in was Oklahoma City..........yeah you read that right!

I think that most everywhere ends up being what you make it. There is good and bad no matter where you put down your roots.

Good luck in your search.

I have lived border to border and coast to coast. You can find a liberal or conservative niche in most any city.

I finally settled in Iowa. Des Moines, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids have tumbs up from me, from personal experience.

I am sure there are a couple thousand more, places in this great country. Start checking them out.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Come to the beautiful SF Bay Area. You have city life and country life within an hour of each other. We have rednecks on the North East side of the bay (Fairfield/Dixon) and we have old hippies on the North West side (Marin/San Rafael). Down South we have San Jose and the world renowned Silicon Valley. I live in the Diablo Valley which is essentially a huuuuge suburb of Oakland and San Francisco. The opportunities abound because of the enormous population, and employment opportunities as well as home values are even beginning to improve. We were among the last to feel the recession, and we will be the among first to recover.

We can always use more progressive folks with an education here in the Golden State because the REgressives are breeding like crazy. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

I live in Wisconsin and can tell you that Milwaukee and Madison are probably the most liberal cities in my state. Also being in close proximity to Chicago (90 miles) is a plus. I've been out fully since 2007 and haven't run into any harrassment, I also have an aquaintance who works for the TSA at Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee, who is 6'8" and fully transitioned. If the TSA doesn't have a problem with it, I don't think anybody else will either.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

We have been over and over this subject. Its not the place, it's your own attitude that makes the difference. That said Dallas (no, not a northern state) has one of the largest and most active CD/TG/TS communities in the country. Er also have one of the best job markets, and the education here is quite good if you can get padt the fictional textbooks.
    You can go to theaters, museums, movies, clubs and restaurants all over town with no problems, I do every week, 2 or 3 times a week, and no I don't fool anyone.
    We now have regular girls night outs twice a week, you can come meet others like you in a public and safe setting, even if you come in drab. We accept all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]