Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham radio cd's

Ham radio cd's

Am I the only transgender Ham radio operator out there? I am registered as Ed but answer my calls as Lisa. No body has ever questioned that. Weird? I think not!

Ham radios exist in the digital age?
    Please don"t take offense to this.....i just don't know any better.

yes ham radios are still out there and there is a lot out there My dad has a tun of ham radios
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Vanessa Ann

Lisa I'm not an operator but a listener. I have an Icom R75 & 8500. I also have a bit of an antique in a National NC-300. Currently listening in on 40 meters on the National while testing it after a recap and overhaul..

You are not alone! I just don't use mind much anymore! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Gold Member
    My brother is a "LID"
    Has a 2 letter call sign;
    He thinks that he is a big shot, so he will not talk to anyone.
    Rader

We had a "roll call" thread a few months back:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...all&highlight=

There are quite a few of us here, but of course exchanging call signs would kind of blow our privacy.

One of the problems with operating in our female personas is that there are a lot of people out there looking at QRZ.com continuously!

Oh, and Nathalie, the very first radio mode was digital (CW, or Morse code). The technology that makes current digital communications (cell phones, digital TV, etc.) possible was pioneered by hams.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=amateur+radio+digital+modes
    Last edited by Eryn; 06-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I checked in on the thread that Eryn posted. I have been a ham since I was a kid and still active on UHF.

G**** ham here in UK, not as Lisa though

Have you taken a look at my signature lines?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

There are many DX CDers in cyberspace. Some of us follow the lead of Stana at http://www.femulate.org/

I used to be on 2 meter but that's been years ago now....never could get the hang of morse code to be fast enough to chat.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    I'm intersexed and hold my extra class license with 20 wpm code endorsement.
    I headed up our clubs Field Day operations for five years and taught code to new hams.
    I still hold my volunteer examiner certificate for the FCC.
    I belong to the code High Speed Club (HSC) with my highest send and receive at approx 62 WPM.
    I have WAS awards on SSB and CW along with 88 out of the 100 countries needed for DXCC on CW.
    I ran Kenwood and Icom HF gear.
    I had a Kenwood 850 and an Icom IC 735 and 725.
    My antenna setup was a Cushcraft A3S with forty meter add on kit at 70 feet.
    I was also getting into EME work. My friend had a very nice EME and satellite setup and worked those modes almost exclusively.

73/88 DE SK

Silver Member
    I also have my extra ticket. I'm not currently on HF. Mostly I'm just on just my club's 2 meter repeater back and forth to work. The club has a post-op member as well.
    Lea

OMG, my smile for the morning. I thought ham died a slow death years ago. Remember the cars in the 50's and 60's with the great big antennas on them?( not sure if that was ham or cb come to think of it). My uncle was a ham operator. We would go visit him as kids and he would disappear into his little cubicle, flip some switches, and I would of course follow him in. He'd turn this big dial and all of a sudden we would be talking with someone far far away. He has this massive antenna network on his roof.

Yes and I have been out fox hunting.
    They tell me that it has a good following in CA.
    When I was there Nov last year I think I contacted 2 amateurs and they asked why do you chase foxes with dogs?
    Oh! well.

You may be the only transgendered Radio Amateur out there, the rest are probably a mixed bunch.
    Who can tell on HF with all the QSB anyway what your voice sounds like.
    Now on VHF FM??? and more so through a local repeater does Lisa make many appearances.?

To Julia,
    The bouncing lasers off the moon project will go slowly for a while as cheaper technology will have to prevail.
    No use doing what has already been done but something new and unique is in the wind with financial help from a sponsor.

Another edit and comment!
    Could we start a cd net meeting on our local repeaters one evening?
    NOW that would be acceptance.
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 06-11-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Answer the question.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    I think you're thinking QRN. QSB is signal strength..
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    I think you're thinking QRN. QSB is signal strength..
    Without looking,
    QSB Signal fading up and down. Varying signal strength.
    QRM Interference.
    QRN Static
    Anyway Lea, a good QSO and you are 5 and 9 at my QTH.
    Yep! my QTH is as per the call book.
    The internet has changed amateur radio somewhat.
    Just looking at the rig here and thinking of all those data modes we now use.
    Looking at another thread about being drafted we are all probably outing ourselves here as well.

73&88s
    Beverley
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 06-11-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Correct bad syntax.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yup, licensed for 21 years now. I do mostly digital modes and amateur TV (that is, television!) on 70cm and up. Also an active SWL with an Icom R75.

- Diane

Been one for about 30 years. No longer really active though.

was active with red cross would love to get back to ham radio anyone have any units for sale for a beginner also any help towards a license would be appreciated

Guilty here, general class ticket love CW (no longer required). Tubes rock. Julia, hope to work you at field day.

Banned Read only
    If I was active I would love to work you this month!!

Here is the only photo I have ever posted of me prior to transition.
    This is the last Field Day I headed up, it's from 2004.
    My right hand is where it should be, sending code from a set of Bencher paddles.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
    Guilty here, general class ticket love CW (no longer required). Tubes rock. Julia, hope to work you at field day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    OMG, my smile for the morning. I thought ham died a slow death years ago. Remember the cars in the 50's and 60's with the great big antennas on them?( not sure if that was ham or cb come to think of it).
    Oh, ham radio has been dying since the '60s, but it seems to be rather difficult to kill off completely. There's just something magical about talking to someone on the other side of the earth using only a box and a long piece of wire, as opposed to the massive infrastructure needed for telephone or internet. communications.

Most of the really big antennas with open coils you see on vehicles these days are CBers, unlicensed operators using only the 11 meter band who are allowed only 5 watts maximum output legally. Of course some of them exceed this greatly and occasionally get to pay really big fines to the FCC. Their antennas are more for looks than performance. You can get equal or better performance from a single 102" metal whip.

Hams are licenced and allowed to use a wide range of frequencies with a maximum power output of 1500W, though most only use 100W in normal operations. Some mobile hams use big antennas on their cars as well, usually a long enclosed loading coil and a whip on top. Hams are able to use lower frequencies than the CBers and the coils are actually needed to keep the antenna height reasonable.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I have been a ham since I was 12 starting with some used Drake equipment that I picked up at the long gone Barry's Electronics back in the 1970's

I remember scouring bins full of Crystals for 80 Meter CW until I built a Heathkit VFO.

I just have my 2-Meter ICom 2AT and my original VibroPlex Bug that I kept for memory's.

If I did not have so many expensive hobbies I would get back involved again.