Thread: Bad Analogies: Vulcan Edition

Will this void warranty? Anna Talyn's Avatar

Bad Analogies: Vulcan Edition

[SIZE="5"]Bad Annalogies: Vulcan Edition[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]Question: What is being a crossdresser like?[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]Answer: I suppose it’s a lot like being a Vulcan.[/SIZE]

I am not the biggest Star Trek fan but there are some parallels to Mister Spock and myself.
    • We struggled with 2 two sides of ourselves
    • Our duality is not supported or understood in our native culture
    • We are logical, mostly
    • We both try to control/hide our emotional side
    • We both had unsuccessful purge attempts – mine was all things feminine, Spock’s was in the ritual of Kolinahr to purge all remaining vestigial emotion
    • Neither of us tan well

As spock found out. you can only suppress your emotion so long before eventually have a psychic break. For Spock his two sides were Vulcan and human. For me it is two genders as one both dueling and cooperating. Spock eventually found peace between the logical and illogical side. Maybe I can as well.

What do you think about this bad analogy?

[SIZE="4"]Live long and prosper, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"]Anna[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Anna Talyn; 06-15-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Hi Anna, Very good analogy. There's more transgendered themes and stories in science fiction than in any other genre. (I wonder why main stream fiction avoids us?) Take care .. Cheryl.

Hi Anna! I love this! I understand it completely and there is nothing illogical about it! I still haven't knocked myself out yet from trying to give myself the vulcan neck pinch. It hasn't worked on anyone else either. I must be doing it wrong.

Oh my God, if this is not Vulcan (a term of respect) i don't know what is... I love Nimoy's nod to his judiasm- the vulcan "V" is a judiastic sign during a particular blessing- how cool is that to incorporate one's belief history into popular history? The guy is an un-recognized genius on top of his acting and fictional-cultural genius.

Anna- keep working on this- it is logical, and as was stated in ST:TMP6 by Spock: "... one must have faith..." <<"faith?">> "...That the universe shall evolve as it should..." seriously- i've studied the tao and kung fu for nearly 4 decades now- last week i played around breaking 2x12 squares with my skinny 7.5" circumference wrists... and Spock's quote here is as erudite and visionary as anything i've seen in oriental philosophy.

And Anna's interpretation of the Vulcan drive for truth above social mores.. heck- i'd donate cash...

I don't know Nimoy's current opinion of CD/TG, but I'd bet he be intrigued if not outright swayed.

He's no fool.

Snaps squared my wonderful tenth muse- Annavulpe- muse of Vulcan-Transgender philosophy!

Out Standing!

Kristi (vulcan cheers)

Yes but his eyebrow plucking is a bit off?

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    That's some funny stuff there! I don't care who you are!
    btw. It's a great analogy! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    As usual, Suzy, you get right to the heart of the matter. Get on Google Images and type in "Female Vulcan", and you'll see that eyebrows for the ladies varied a lot. But some of them would be more than OK for girls like us.

At any rate, I could never be a Vulcan myself. I can only give the Vulcan salute with my left hand, and I think it has to be done with the right.

Annabelle

Great analogy and conversation stopper/starter. git'em thinking!

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I wish that we could all do the Vulcan mind meld, and that way we could have a better form of communication. This would take care of alot of misunderstandings in this life. Good analogy, live long and prosper!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Gigs View Post
    I wish that we could all do the Vulcan mind meld, and that way we could have a better form of communication. This would take care of alot of misunderstandings in this life. Good analogy, live long and prosper!
    I prefer The Doctor's headbut, but yea, close enough.
    "Your transformation is not a disease. You were just given the key to the door in front of you. There's no need to know the cause. No need for sorrow or sadness. What comes next is up to you. You can use your keys to open the door...or lock it tight." - Urahara Kisuke

Thanks all for the deeper thoughts and also the laughs
    I suppose this is a conversation starter/ender depending on the crowd.

And Kristi I really like you Spock quote about the universe evolving as it should.
    It doesn't explain the new Star Trek Movie plot line but...

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph View Post
    Oh my God, if this is not Vulcan (a term of respect) i don't know what is... I love Nimoy's nod to his judiasm- the vulcan "V" is a judiastic sign during a particular blessing- how cool is that to incorporate one's belief history into popular history? The guy is an un-recognized genius on top of his acting and fictional-cultural genius.

Kristi (vulcan cheers)
    He attended a Bar Mitzvah at my congregation! Unfortunately, he couldn't sign autographs as there is a prohibition on writing on the Sabbath.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Quote Originally Posted by natacsha View Post
    I still haven't knocked myself out yet from trying to give myself the vulcan neck pinch. It hasn't worked on anyone else either. I must be doing it wrong.
    FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION IT...

It is not impossible to do, although the effect won't be instant and complete unconsciousness. It's more of a stun. And don't beat yourself up over it (no pun intended), most people do it wrong. We learn to do something like it in Filipino Martial Arts, but we use a yantok (a 2 foot rattan stick). Your target is the brachial plexus, which is on the side of your lower neck (we strike on the right side. I imagine there is a similar nerve trunk on the left, but I don't know for sure). It passes under the clavicle and disappears into the deltoid region. A sufficiently powerful strike to this nerve trunk will cause the victim to drop to the ground and/or become easily physically manipulated and leaves some residual tingling. Now, that said, if you were to restrict bloodflow through the brachial artery, which is most accessible in the armpit region, then I think you probably could render someone unconscious. But you might kill them, too, so I wouldn't go trying that on any friends.

Anywho, I thought I'd share since you mentioned it.

BTW, as a connoisseuse (any French folk or French Canadians able to check my shockingly poor French?) of analogies, particularly the bad ones, I'd say that this is an excellent analogy.

The Belle from Hell! Wrenchette's Avatar
    Redheaded woman in a dirty Corvette.

Brilliant Anna. As both a long term Trekkie and TG I should have seen it ages ago.

"Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations".

Where are you Sheldon, when we need you!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize so many Trekkies were around.
    I think Sheldon and Spock would agree this was only logical.

Speaking of Sheldon...
    A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink. The bartender replies, ‘For you, no charge. - Dr. Sheldon Cooper