Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misconception or Reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Bree_K View Post
    And.... we all end up in 1984
    Hehehe, I'm glad I'm not the only person here who has read that.

Anna
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going."
    -Winston Churchill

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Lorree View Post
    Hehehe, I'm glad I'm not the only person here who has read that.

Anna
    It was required reading in HS but I enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Bree_K View Post
    It was required reading in HS but I enjoyed it
    High school ended 21 years ago, so I couldn't tell you what the required reading was, anymore.

Anna
    -Winston Churchill

Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight.
    High school ended 21 years ago, so I couldn't tell you what the required reading was, anymore.
    Hey, required reading doesn't have to be just for school . I read "1984" in HS back in the mid-70s. I put it on my personal required reading list again last year. I enjoyed it more now than I ever could have then.
    If only our families and friends could be as supportive as our bras!

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenA View Post
    Hey, required reading doesn't have to be just for school . I read "1984" in HS back in the mid-70s. I put it on my personal required reading list again last year. I enjoyed it more now than I ever could have then.
    I still read. A few years ago I was reading Heinlein, and this year I read the Hunger Games trilogy (I know it was aimed at teens, but it was a fun read all the same). Mostly now, I read textbooks because I am back in college.

Anna
    -Winston Churchill

Lara
    I always vote liberally and strongly identify as a liberal. It's because being trans has made me see how disadvantaged people in the community need help, and how only liberals can help them in my opinion.

However, socially I am more conservative than most in my generation (Gen Y). I am totally against the idea of unilateral divorce, I don't like how our media has been sexualised in the past few decades or so, and can't stand the idea of polyamory at all. I mostly listen to traditional pop and country music, and I dislike people like Lady Gaga and Kim Kardashian.

-Lara

Quote Originally Posted by mcvste View Post
    I am totally against the idea of unilateral divorce,
    what is unilateral divorce??

Ok I looked it up. So no fault divorce
    Next question; why?

Why should I need a "legitimate" reason to get a divorce? Isn't wanting a divorce pretty much an indication that the relationship is no good? I cant see how needing fault would be to the benefit of anyone and I can see how it could be to the detriment of woman who want out of an abusive relationship.
    Last edited by Aprilrain; 06-20-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcvste View Post
    I mostly listen to traditional pop and country music, and I dislike people like Lady Gaga and Kim Kardashian.
    ?

What does that have to do with anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Silver Member

"Our nation wasn't even a friggin CHRISTIAN nation when it was founded... all that "in god we trust" BS was added pretty dang recently..."

So true. I was alive and in school when the "under God" bit was added to the Pledge of Allegiance we all said in school every morning.

Oh. And so, Julia in Pa, you're going to drop the "Perhaps one day you too shall understand that Marla" line on me, huh? Like I don't have any understanding of these issues? I've been transgendered since I was a kid. My whole life I've dealt with this. But, uh, I don't understand. You just keep on telling yourself that, Jules, and maybe you can convince yourself that it's the truth. Sorry, but I'd not hinge the entire future of my country on ONE ISSUE, even if it was an issue that was near and dear to my heart and my being. It's still only one issue, and about the only one on which I agree with Liberals. Spare me your sanctimonious bulls__t, Julia. Simply because I have decided to NOT transition doesn't mean I'm that much different from those who have. I believe in equal rights for ALL people, regardless of their gender status, sexual orientation, gender presentation, or choice of family pets. However, if the only way I could get that right now was by voting for Democrats, I'll suck it up for another election cycle and continue to support conservatives. After the deplorable way the Democrats acted when they had supermajorities in both houses in 2008, like pigs in slop ramming legislation down the throats of the People when they clearly did NOT want it, ignoring the pressing issues of our day while moving forward on their own agenda, and STILL not even beginning to address GLBT rights, I'll never grant them my vote again. I don't have to put my hand in a burning fire twice to make sure it's too hot to touch.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Silver Member
    Maybe, maybe not. Of course, we can never say for certain. However, I would ask one question. Is trans equality the only issue that concerns you when voting?

Anna
    Of course not, I have liked a lot of what our current administration has done, is doing.

On the trans issues he did not have to do any of the things I listed, its not going to win him enough votes to make any difference. But a few of those things have probably made a few peoples lives a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    Simply because I have decided to NOT transition doesn't mean I'm that much different from those who have.
    Actually it's as different as day and night. If you decide TO transition you will see that your life has totally changed. I was completely out everywhere including work and talked about my upcoming transition quite frequently with colleagues but the day the rubber met the road was the day when I realized I wasn't in Kansas anymore. I thought the whole time that I was openly transitioning but all I was really doing was openly talking about it. As long as you have the ability to put on your man pants when you feel uncomfortable, then you have no idea what it's like to transition. The politics that you now consider to be peripheral would mean something more to you when it becomes about your life rather than your lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Point taken and thoroughly understood, Melissa. My point is that we're all sailing in the same boat, or at least in the same fleet. I'm still not willing to allow the complete destruction of my country, my privacy and civil rights, my whole way of life, simply because one party sees fit to do the right thing for the GLBT community, OF WHICH I AM A PART. There's no point in cleaning the living room if your house is burning down. And this is not in any way some kind of rally cry for the last administration either. That was awful; this is worse. We need to get some sanity back into government, and then address these issues.

It's odd to me that a country that finally saw fit to extend basic civil rights to its slaves, that finally gave women the rights to vote and own propery, that holds the Declaration of Independence and its immortal words "We hold these truths to be self-evident - that all men are created equal" (by "men", you know they mean everyone), cannot easily see fit to extend these civil rights to ALL citizens, even those who don't hold true to the societal norms of gender and sexual identity. This should happen regardless of party or political bend.

The path that we, as a nation, pursued from 2003 through 2008 was very destructive for us. The path we've followed since then is even worse. If it continues, we as a nation will not be able to continue, and all the rights you strive to attain will be for naught. We are $16 trillion in debt, and the present administration has no plans at all to even address the issue. Oh, but they're willing to allow gay marriage and maybe one day begin to address other GLBT issues. As of yet, they have not.

I'd also like to point out that despite the spoutings of prominent political leaders, like supporting a Constitutional Amendment that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, such things almost NEVER come to fruition. Remember when they wanted to ban flag burning by Constitutional Amendment? Didn't happen. Nor will it.

I am a conservative - and I still support equal rights for all people in this nation.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I like shoes, stylish yet classy...............

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    this is why there are 2 parties. one gets elected and makes some good changes and some bad changes then the people get sick of them so the other party gets elected and they make some good changes and some bad changes then the people get sick of them and then the other party gets elected and...................................
    Two words, Ron Paul, no offense meant

Love
    Rachel
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Smith View Post
    Two words, Ron Paul, no offense meant

Love
    Rachel
    yeah but he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected
    just sayin

If all the people with that view voted for him he would at least have a snowballs chance in Virginia instead of hell and we do get snow in Virginia. I would rather spend my vote for someone I agree with more rather then vote for someone that I don't agree with just to be with the masses. Surely all of us here know what it feels like NOT to be part of the masses.

Just sayin, lol.

Rachel
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

im not arguing with you Rach but the reality is the guy is not going to get elected nor is any other independent

I can't vote for a party that actively fights against my basic human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda-E View Post
    I can't vote for a party that actively fights against my basic human rights.
    That is why I am voting republican and want to Obama out of office. Just sayin'
    Add me to facebook if you want: http://www.facebook.com/hobbitprincess
    "Never thought I would be here, so high in the air
    This is my unanswered prayer
    Defined by another, so much wasted time
    Out of the darkness, each breath that I take will be mine." -Waterproof Blondes, "Just Close Your Eyes"

I have many conservative beliefs. I've owned guns and had a concealed carry permit. I'm also an atheist and I think anyone who opposes LTBT rights has their head up their ass. So I may be somewhat conservative, but I certainly can't say I'm right-wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Traci Elizabeth View Post
    I just don't see the connection between gender and one's political views. To me, they are totally separate.
    That's like saying "I don't see the connection between being Jewish and whether or not you support the Third Reich."

You're an Uncle Tom transsexual. If you said you had a few conservative beliefs you could talk your way out of it. But you self-identify as a "staunch" and "far-right" conservative. You remind me of the Chappelle Show skit where Dave is a blind KKK member. Do you picket gay marriages?

Why do you have a KD Lang cover of a Leonard Cohen song in your signature? Don't you realize lesbians and Jews don't make it into heaven?

There are certain things that are deal-breaker political issues. If a political party supported slavery, even if you agreed with them on every other issue you couldn't support them. Because supporting them means you support slavery.

Saying you're far-right means you're OK with discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. If that's not how you feel, then you're not "staunch" and you're not "far-right." You might be some kind of conservative, but you're sure as hell not "staunch." Because all the other conservatives who identify as "staunch" are staunchly against LGBT equality.

I'm so fascinated by the ability of lower-to-middle-class people from South to support the right-wing. No matter how you try to rationalize it, you're saying you want the upper 1% to have more and you want people to be able to discriminate against you more openly.

im not arguing with you Rach but the reality is the guy is not going to get elected nor is any other independent
    That's true. But I still have to write in Ron Paul if I want to be able to look in the mirror the next day. None of the other politicians can even answer a simple yes or no question without making it abundantly clear that they're totally full of sh*t. They really don't even seem like human beings to me.

Transwoman
    I'm also liberal. It's not because I am trans. It just makes sense.

I encountered a similar issue recently. I mentioned to my wife about Obama's recent policy about illegals. She was angry at first and I had to explain that we generally agree with liberal policy other than this one thing and we needed to examine how this single position really affects us. Long story short you have to follow the group that will uphold your most important ideals even if the less important beliefs are ignored or even contrary to what your primary beliefs say.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

I know your not April. I think it's nice that we have a place to discuss ALL things in a safe and consensual manor. Discussion without hate and name calling can be a very fruitful thing and I see none of that here.

The American Revolution didn't start with thousands of people but rather just a few and I prefer to do my revolting at the ballot box. It's much safer that way, I hate ducking bullets, lol.

Peace
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachel Smith; 06-24-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: It's early Sunday morning and I mispelled none, lol