Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of us are JUST crossdressers?

Banned Read only
    I am a bisexual male who crossdresses. I would have to say that I am not just a crossdresser. I underdress below the waist about 90% of the time and about 20% of the time above the waist. In 10 years, I have gone out completely dressed once. Not saying that I am opposed to it, but it is difficult to get all of the circumstances to happen coincidently. However, I have never felt that I am in the wrong body. I consider myself to be male with some extra facets to my personality and psychological makeup. Although opinions are always subject to change, at this point I don't consider myself to be transgendered and I'm not looking to transitioning.
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 06-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

I wish I had time to read all of the responses. I'm pretty much a crossdresser that has progressed somewhat in the last couple of years. I've just bought a lot more clothes in that time period, because I've lived alone.

I don't have a posting style that challenges others to argue with me, so I haven't had any altercations with anyone so far. I think I have a small percentage of more than crossdressing within myself, but I don't have the urge to dress in public or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Frédérique, in any group of people you will have some that are obnoxious, opinionated, blunt, and/or overly competitive. You are under no obligation to pay attention to them. The vast majority of people here are friendly and supportive of all. Concentrate on the good, ignore the bad.
    Im still fairly new to this forum and so far have only found the good and not yet stumbled into the sh*te side of peoples nastiness

Think Eryn's view here sums my feelings up in a nutshell

I am not JUST a crossdresser. Oh, I am a crossdresser, but I am not JUST a crossdresser. Would you say that you are SIMPLY a crossdresser or ONLY a crossdresser? That is how the word JUST is being used on this thread. It is not easy being a crossdresser. Let us not diminish ourselves.

Damn!!!

I had a whole bunch of labels on my lap just now

One of my kittens jumped on me and knocked them all on the floor

I've picked them up and it looks like I'm now a 2lb bag of carrots

Oh well, best get on with it

Quote Originally Posted by Dee3 View Post
    I wish I had time to read all of the responses. I'm pretty much a crossdresser that has progressed somewhat in the last couple of years. I've just bought a lot more clothes in that time period, because I've lived alone.

I don't have a posting style that challenges others to argue with me, so I haven't had any altercations with anyone so far. I think I have a small percentage of more than crossdressing within myself, but I don't have the urge to dress in public or anything.
    Dee - I don't think I like your tone lady :/

Silver Member
    I think by your definition I'm just a crossdresser. But why do we need labels? We each are somewhere along the gender continuum? I love to do really macho activities but I also like to wear dresses and get facials, even in guy mode.
    Frederique, I usually don't agree with you, but this post has some true merit. Thanks for posting.

P.S. Who is this guy Pablo? Is he just a crossdresser? Just kidding. But did he only produce a certain type of art? Did he ever stray? This is why labels cuase issues but most of us want to use labels for clarity in many things we do.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Frédérique, in any group of people you will have some that are obnoxious, opinionated, blunt, and/or overly competitive.
    Is this not what happens when beauty becomes an overly additive pink fog? I seem to see all around not just here. Competition abounds everywhere. There are one's that really struggle though, and any support we provide or receive is always appreciated in the realm of crossdressing.

Thera

Time will tell, but for now I'm rooting for being just a bi/gay crossdresser.

Let's all just be friends and hug cute spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieOPKS View Post
    Dee - I don't think I like your tone lady :/
    I meant to say I haven't had any alterations with anyone. If I could try on one of your skirts, an alteration may be in order

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    I can’t (or shouldn’t) really be on that other site. Why? Well, I’m not transgendered, am I? I’m just a crossdresser...
    Like some others, I dislike that "just a crossdresser" terminology. I am surprised you're using it, because we as people are much to complext to be defined by a single word.

I’m a male that likes to wear women’s (or girl’s) clothing – that makes me a crossdresser, specifically a MtF crossdresser.
    Yes, you crossdress. But crossdressing is what you DO. It's more akin to a symptom of something else.

I have no desire to be a woman, and I have no desire to live my life AS a woman, 24/7, in lieu of SRS. Calling me transgendered is like calling Pablo Picasso a surrealistLet me tell you, I get confused when transgendered individuals say I’m transgendered just because I crossdress...
    Now hold on here, you seem to be confusing the term transgendered with transsexual. While there are some TS's out there who use transgendered when they mean TS for various reasons (we call that frame drag on a another board). transsexual is a subset of transgendered. In many, but not all cases, so is crossdressing. Just because you don't have the desire to transition, doesn't mean you aren't transgendered for have transgendered thoughts.

It was never clear who was who,
    Oh that's pretty much par for the course since people DO change how they identify. It's like the classic joke: "What's the difference between a crossdresser and a transsexual...about 3 years"

but there were times when it became obvious that “plain old” MtF crossdressers were far down on the pecking order...
    Oh that's also pretty much standard, though some boards do crack down on pecking order stuff. It's also evident in actual support groups, to a certain extent, which is one reason why it's on the Internet as well. Now I'm not for certain if you were ever a member of a support group, but from your writing, odds are you hadn't encountered it or read about it before.

I would write about crossdressing, and TG’s would “dress me down” in no uncertain terms.
    Probably for the same reasons I have done so. You can be quite naive about trans-issues, and some of us can tell that in some ways you have some self-hatred about it...your overuse of the word "perversion" for example, but that's probably regional/cultural. Can't be helped really.

Was I blind?
    No, but one might say you don't really get the realities of the transgender community, either online or off.

I now realize I was amongst a preponderance of TG’s, so this is why I felt isolated within my own sub-genre of gender exploration.
    Why would that be a bad thing? Or are you saying TG's when you really mean TS's?

So, here I am, a few years later, and there are several transgendered individuals on my ignore list who either don’t like ME, don’t like what I represent, or don’t like what I write.
    if they don't like you, why are YOU ignoring THEM. Do you not like what they write? Isn't that closer to the truth? You write something, they disagree, you only want to see things that agree with your own trans-mindset so you block them? Is that really all that productive or a good thing overall?

If this is supposed to be a discussion forum for crossdressers (see above), shouldn’t we (somehow) be allowed to discuss our crossdressing without incursions from the transgendered “community?”
    In other words you're saying "I want to write without anyone challenging my viewpoint! I only want to see what I agree with!" Isn't that it? Because Crossdressers ARE a part of the transgender community, where you think so or not, because most crossdressers DO identify as being transgendered in some way or another. Now sure, most don't want to transition, but as I said, that doesn't mean they're not transgendered. There are "degrees" to it.

I’ve written a lot about this, mainly because I can’t help but notice it – there is a BIG difference between a male who dresses as a woman for tactile or sexual reasons, and a transgendered person who may be way more serious about what they do.
    While the former are "technically" crossdresers, they are more akin to what used to be called "transvestic fetishists" Yes, they are different...for one they don't join support groups, and tend to not do so online either. We have a few here who are obviously focused on specific garments like pantyhose or leotards (in fact their usernames often focus on their specific kind of crossdressing), they are easily outnumbered by crossdressers that do acknowledge a transgender basis for their crossdressing. Putting it bluntly the former have less angst...they put on the leotards or pantyhose, get their jollies, take them off and they're fine. It's why so few of them join support groups, they don't need them, they do their thing and enjoy it. They have no need to express their thing outside their bedrooms.

As we both know, crossdressers who do identify as being part of the transgender umbrella, they have different needs. We both know that the vast majority of crossdressers on this board who go out in public are transgender identified. As I said, that doesn't mean they want to transition, but their mindset is different. they go out, join support groups and whatnot. Even their fashion concerns are different., they're the ones that talk about blending.

Some of the latter “dump” on the former to a certain degree...
    It happens. Ive seen it happen the other way too, like what you're doing yourself in this thread now, but that's rarer.

I’ve seen it, time and time again, in this very MtF crossdressing section. If you crossdress, you MUST be transgendered, or on the road to being transgendered, or transgendered without knowing it.
    I think you're mixing up the meanings of transgendered and transsexual again. Transgendered is an umbrella term that applys to lots of people...including crossdressers

To others, the act of crossdressing makes you transgendered.
    That depends on motivation...that's the important thing.

Apparently I, the MtF crossdresser, have certain obligations to fulfill – I cannot let down the "community," even though the community looks down on me.
    Define "let down the community" for me. While I think that crossdressers could do a touch more to support the community, I also know why they don't. Though it's a vicsous circle

I can’t just dress to please myself, stay within my zone of safety, and live in a fantasy world of my own making;
    Sure you can, people do it all the time.

I MUST get out there and put myself in harm’s way like a true TG, come what may.
    Now hold on there, I don't recall many people saying "must" I do know some, including myself, who say that it's a "good idea" and that transgendered folks tend to feel better when they do so and stop feeling so "cooped up in the closet", but the ultimate decision is up to you.

Like I said, there are many TG people on my ignore list, specifically the ones who scoff at “hobbyists” or part-timers like us.
    I think non-fetishists who use the term "hobby" for their crossdressing are being disingenuous and are trying to minimize saying how much it means to them. Putting model ships in glass bottles is a hobby, "This thing of ours" is tied too closely to identity for most of us to be a mere "hobby". For the fetishists, it's more akin to a "sexual hobby" which isn't a bad thing.

Many times I’ve written something for US, namely the glorified panty fetishists,
    Are you a panty fetishist? Do you identify as such? If you do, don't you think you should change your name to something like "sexaypnatywearer" and change your avatar to a lower torso of a woman wearing a thong panty or something? What do you wear, really? You seem to have implied that it's not just panties and is more akin to the "young girl in tights and maryjanes" sort of thing.

and it will generate a condescending post like this: “Frédérique is entitled to her opinion...”
    Lots of people have opinions, that doesn't mean that they're "smart" opinoins, or well informed opinions or based on factually accurate information.

but isn’t it queer that I, a crossdresser through and through, has to be defended on a CD site?
    where did you get the opinion that this is "just" a CD site? Didn't you notice the transition-centric sections? or even the FTM sections? Or the section just for SO's? You should know that taking things literally can be a bad thing on the internet.

I get the feeling I don’t belong here, but what else is new?
    But why do you get the feeling? I don't understand, you crossdress (even if you don't identify as transgendered), you have friends here, why wouldn't you belong?

I feel like, just maybe, I am entitled and justified to be on a site like this.
    Of course you do...but that doesn't mean that you won't have your ideas and philosophies challenged at times, or that people will agree with you 100% of the time.

As it is, I still have to fit my CD opinions in edge-wise and hope I’m connecting SOMEWHERE.
    Well of course you're connecting with some people. From what I see, a certain kind of girly CDs who are apprehensive about going out and thinks they never will because of where they live/their wife/family/job/etc are your biggest fans.

Alas, many of my threads are peppered with comments I cannot see, let alone read, because someone who looks down on me is taking the time to do just that...
    But if you can't see those comments, how do you know that's what they're doing. You're "assuming", and that's a bad thing. They could be actually agreeing with you on some of your points and you wouldn't know it.

Based on past experiences, I feel inferior.
    There's an Eleanor Roosevelt quote: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." In other words, you are making yourself feel inferior.

MY very BEST friend is transgendered, or she is convinced she is, or others tell her she is.
    If you mean Anne, say so, don't beat around the bush.

Subsequently, she is confused.
    Less than she was, I think.

PS – I’m NOT trying to stir the pot,
    I think you are, but perhaps not intentionally and more on a subconscious level.

Veronica
    Last edited by VeronicaMoonlit; 06-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Married to SO Rufusrabbit Rebeccarabbit's Avatar
    If only it was that simple No not just crossdressing may have started that way, the journey is long and constantly evolving. The spectrum of our community is huge and diverse. We are all together in this journey and at different stages.
    This post is always going to be controversial. We are all sisters on lifes journey so please don't rock the boat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="2"]"I am not this body. I am in this body, and this is part of my incarnation and I honor it but that isn't who I am."[/SIZE]

Freddie, you continue to post the most amazing, thought provoking things! I love it. I am a bit like Anne in that I started here as a plain and simple crossdresser (although I had started shaving bits of my body), but then as all the conversations unfolded and I reflected and soul-searched, I realised that I am ME. I am not category defined by other people to suit some form of labelling. I have days/weeks when I wish to God I was a woman, and I have the same when I am glad I am not. This is why I wish i could pass... I'd like to be both please!

I often think... if I lived my life again and had been born a girl, would this have been better? Then I think of all the stuff I've done and the friends I've made and my three wonderful daughters, etc.. and I can't trade that in just because I would like to experience being a woman. So what the hell am I?

I guess I am sort of transgendered, but not prepared to transition (well not just yet) for lots of reasons, not least of which I do not want to go through all that pain, suffering and financial deficit to discover I'd got it wrong! So I am well down the pecking order on the spectrum and in the box labelled CDs as far as our self-styled 'superior' sisters are concerned (I guess they must DivaDs )... I don't care what they think, I am ME... and that is OK by me!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Freddie, you continue to post the most amazing, thought provoking things! I love it. I am a bit like Anne in that I started here as a plain and simple crossdresser (although I had started shaving bits of my body), but then as all the conversations unfolded and I reflected and soul-searched, I realised that I am ME. I am not category defined by other people to suit some form of labelling. I have days/weeks when I wish to God I was a woman, and I have the same when I am glad I am not. This is why I wish i could pass... I'd like to be both please!

I often think... if I lived my life again and had been born a girl, would this have been better? Then I think of all the stuff I've done and the friends I've made and my three wonderful daughters, etc.. and I can't trade that in just because I would like to experience being a woman. So what the hell am I?

I guess I am sort of transgendered, but not prepared to transition (well not just yet) for lots of reasons, not least of which I do not want to go through all that pain, suffering and financial deficit to discover I'd got it wrong! So I am well down the pecking order on the spectrum and in the box labelled CDs as far as our self-styled 'superior' sisters are concerned (I guess they must DivaDs )... I don't care what they think, I am ME... and that is OK by me!
    we hope that's not the NAUGHTY bits. LOL

in a word---COMPLEX

Its a good post........very flambe' LOL......its interesting !!!
    But why do we want division in such a diverse spectrum, that includes EVERYONE our journeys are personal and unique, and the spectrum is vast with thousands of different flavours, sure be proud of who you are be unique !!!........there are many colours to the rainbow. Whether you wear just panties, or dress everyday, whether your going through full transformation, whether your hetro, bi-sexual, or gay.......We all dress up, and want to look feel female to differing degrees.

I started Cross Dressing many years ago......I have evolved, and changed, I am more advanced now. I dont actually need to dress up to feel female........its a very diverse community. We all need a network we all need support
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="2"]"I am not this body. I am in this body, and this is part of my incarnation and I honor it but that isn't who I am."[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccarabbit View Post
    Its a good post........very flambe' LOL......its interesting !!!
    But why do we want division in such a diverse spectrum, that includes EVERYONE our journeys are personal and unique, and the spectrum is vast with thousands of different flavours, sure be proud of who you are be unique !!!........there are many colours to the rainbow.

I think the problem with the Spectrum analogy is that wherever an individual is perceived to be along it the darn thing shoots off at so many different tangents on a 360degree orbit that no two individuals are ever going to be in the same place

We are all unique and should just enjoy being ourselves and accept the whole colour pallette for what it is...beautiful.
    Last edited by ReineD; 06-30-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote tag.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Karinsamantha
    Hi Freddy I am so sorry that you feel the way you do. I am Trans gendered. But would never ever say I am better or worse then any one else here. I as a human being have no rite to pass judgment on anyone else, and I don't .
    [SIZE="2"]I was NOT generalizing about all TG individuals – the OP was in regards to those who are, shall we say, unimpressed by fetishistic crossdressing, or crossdressing for tactile sensation, or crossdressing for relaxation, or crossdressing for sexual release. I suppose that if you’ve definitely gone over to the other side (in terms of gender), it stands to reason that you may feel like lobbing some debilitating wordy epithets back in the direction from whence you came. Some people – I repeat SOME people – seem to have this “I’m miserable – how DARE you have fun crossdressing!” attitude. They actually take the time to pop the little children’s joyful balloons, steal their candy, and act all important as some sort of established standard for how MtF crossdressing OUGHT to be. The message appears to be, “How can you expect to be taken seriously...” if you are not on the road to a transgendered existence. All I’m saying is that there is plenty of room for ALL approaches to crossdressing, MtF variety, and I find that this perpetual rubric from the wet blankets among us is very unhelpful, to say the least...

I can only report on what I see, i.e. what I read around here. It’s a fact that SOME TG individuals (and CD'ers as well) seem to delight in deflating hopes and dreams, or ruining the party that COULD be happening. BTW, “just a crossdresser” refers to someone who crossdresses (MtF, in this instance), and isn’t going anywhere with it, i.e. isn’t interested in burning bridges, because that eventuality simply isn’t in the cards, for one reason or another. You CAN dress for pleasure, and it IS a valid form of crossdressing. “Now I’m here, now I’m there...,” as Freddy Mercury once sang. Remember singing?
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz
    I guess I am sort of transgendered, but not prepared to transition (well not just yet) for lots of reasons, not least of which I do not want to go through all that pain, suffering and financial deficit to discover I'd got it wrong! So I am well down the pecking order on the spectrum and in the box labelled CDs as far as our self-styled 'superior' sisters are concerned (I guess they must DivaDs)... I don't care what they think, I am ME... and that is OK by me!
    [SIZE="2"]I do plenty of transitioning, but it’s back and forth, as the word “crossing” may indicate. As such I am at the bottom of the pecking order for MtF crossdressers. I never knew I was until I came here. Thanks, discussion forums! However, there are many kind, considerate, and compassionate “superior” sisters around here, and they have gently put their unseen arms around me, lifting me up as I endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune – since few people come right out and state “I’m THIS or THAT...” I am left to believe that our own community of people (who wear the “wrong” clothes) is, by necessity, a curious reality, an impossible probability, an ephemeral gathering of the faithful, a moveable feast, and an inexplicable human drama. When I DON’T walk out the front door as a proud TG individual, and declare my deviant nature to the world at large, I anger some in our community even as I align myself with others who believe in the power (and magic) of crossdressing. I DO care what others think, but if I don’t preserve ME at all costs I will lose the world – crossdressing is a selfish enterprise, to be sure, so I get a little miffed when someone tries to shake someone else’s foundation. You need to do what you can, under the circumstances, find your own comfort level, and live life accordingly...

PS -- I'm AMAZED at all the responses so far...
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by ReineD; 06-30-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: I missed your comment to reb.femme before. This falls under PM category.

[SIZE="2"]Like I said, there are many TG people on my ignore list, specifically the ones who scoff at “hobbyists” or part-timers like us. I don’t need this kind of abuse, especially on a site CALLED crossdressers.com. [/SIZE]
    It troubles me that anyone in an open discussion forum would make significant use of such an "ignore" feature, especially in your case where you take such care in crafting thoughtful threads that provoke responses, mostly positive but sometimes critical. It doesn't seem to make much sense by covering your eyes and ears, singing "la la la" as if other points of view neither exist nor are valid in your eyes. What kind of discussion is that???

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    But if you can't see those comments, how do you know that's what they're doing. You're "assuming", and that's a bad thing. They could be actually agreeing with you on some of your points and you wouldn't know it.
    Don't worry Veronica, your posts won't be seen and thus the points you agreed with are moot.

[SIZE="2"]The ignore list is a useful tool, allowing me to sidestep these line-by-line critical “reviews” from the usual suspects. I think the author of this unsolicited polemic neatly verifies what I said in my response to Karinsamantha’s post. Unfortunately, when others quote the offending text, I can still see it, thus negating my purposeful ignorance – this is a glitch, but I can’t do anything about it. I’ve learned to turn the other cheek, and I will continue to do so...[/SIZE]
    Again, disappointing.

PS -- I'm AMAZED at all the responses so far... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    You clearly haven't seen all of them.

As for the original premise, you have put out there a "just crossdressers" angle with overt exclusion of other POV's which does nothing more than drive a wedge between those who are "just crossdressers" (your words, not mine) and others in the TG community. As such, the entire premise is nothing more than divisive and provocative, hiding behind a cloak claiming otherwise. By being exclusionary of other points of view, a thread which started out being rather legitimate ends up becoming quite the opposite.

If I'm not currently on your ignore list, I expect to be moving back in shortly. Whatever, but I will not return that favor. I actually enjoy reading other POV's.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    It troubles me that anyone in an open discussion forum would make significant use of such an "ignore" feature, especially in your case where you take such care in crafting thoughtful threads that provoke responses, mostly positive but sometimes critical. It doesn't seem to make much sense by covering your eyes and ears, singing "la la la" as if other points of view neither exist nor are valid in your eyes. What kind of discussion is that???
    One reason for using the "Ignore" function would be, not to exclude other points of view, but to exclude personal attacks, which, sadly, are a feature of most forums. I don't use "Ignore" myself, but I can understand why some people might.

Annabelle

Two cents.

A nice morning discussion as I'm having breakfast and watching Le Tour de France

Frederique is someone I maybe disagree with more than I agree with. I enjoy getting her opinion because there is thought put into it. I can enjoy and like a reasoned argument, even if I don't agree. Freddie, you are an intellectual gunslinger...same as me And the one thing about gunslingers is -- they get shot at and sometimes get shot.

Like you I am a male than loves presenting at time as a woman. I love how I look in a pant suit or a shirt...or a feminine running outfit. I like feeling pretty in a way I can in male form.

Like you, I have no desire to transition at all. I like me as I am, and my feminine persona is a part of that too long denied to be open.

Calling me transgendered is like calling Pablo Picasso a surrealist – to other surrealists he is (or was) one, at one time, depending on how you look at it, but he didn’t think of himself in those terms. Confused? Let me tell you, I get confused when transgendered individuals say I’m transgendered just because I crossdress...
    Here is where I disagree. I don't have the problem with being seen as "transgendered". Everybody's thought and personal definition of that term is different. Among my friends who are transitioning, their reasoning is that, "You by the act of crossdressing are actively probing, challenging and redefining the gender lines in our society and perhaps even question them-- thus you are 'transgendered'."

Its a line of reasoning that I agree with. Thus, I'll take that "label" and run with it.

Apparently I, the MtF crossdresser, have certain obligations to fulfill – I cannot let down the "community," even though the community looks down on me. I can’t just dress to please myself, stay within my zone of safety, and live in a fantasy world of my own making; I MUST get out there and put myself in harm’s way like a true TG, come what may. If I don't, I’m not to be taken seriously, no matter how well I can plead my case for fairness...
    Now here is where I strongly disagree. Yes, there are plenty of transgendered people who may "look down" on me for example because I am not taking the road they are, thus I am seen as at best a "fake" and at worse "an enemy". It is a rash set of judgments. They are wrong in my case. But it is their right to be wrong.
    However Frederique, you also counter with a rash set of judgements. And two sets of rash judgments never yield reasoned clarity.

Most people in the "community" I've found don't look down on you. Maybe it is my naiveté, but I've been blessed to have found a very positive community of people across the spectrum who have been supportive and ready to educate me about the many things I don't know. I have built a network of people who are in my life beyond a level of just acquaintance. It is only right that I learn what their deal is. They'd respect if I stayed in the safe haven, but the question I ask is "would I respect me if I did?"

Like I said, there are many TG people on my ignore list, specifically the ones who scoff at “hobbyists” or part-timers like us. I don’t need this kind of abuse,
    I read this and I am I reminded of a phrase that is a key philosophy in my life -- You have to approach people where they are, not where you'd like them to be.

That's both sides of the ledger. Most likely you've run into people who categorize themselves has TG or TS, and/or have significantly transitioned, or gone fully toward a gender change or achieved it. Their negative response was born of attitudes they've come across and experiences they've had. Largely they've dealt with a majority that has been non-supportive. Thus, that particular person or people may spit "hobbyist" at you. There are others who will try to place themselves "above" because of their status.

Because I've had more positive experiences and are surrounded by a positive teaching group of folks, I have the mechanism to effective deal with that sort of situation. I usually just ignore that person. Because they don't know me, and they aren't giving me to opportunity to their know them. I'd rather concentrate more on the people are being embracing, positive and inclusive.

I feel inferior.
    It is never about what you are called. It's about what you answer to. Somebody with the intellectual firepower and the ability to express it should never feel "inferior".
    In fact, you are part and parcel of what our society needs when it comes to this issue and so many others.

Never apologize for stirring the pot. It's necessary to make the meal.

Flaming: Also known as bashing. A hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. Flaming statements often include the pronoun, "You". They also include criticism of a person's method of communication.

I've just deleted and edited a dozen or so posts in the last page of this thread. If you have a personal comment to address to someone that does not directly relate to the topic at hand (the definition of crossdresser vs. transgender), please do so via PM. If I need to edit more flaming comments, this thread will be closed.
    Reine

Honestly, I think there's sometimes a reactionary elitist thing that can go on for the CD vs TG thing.

And, it's neither's fault, as it's not gotten to the point where people in general society 'get' the difference between a fetishistic CD versus a transgendered person; something that people get a kick from versus someone's gender identity. So, for the transgendered person, a CD sort of brings down their legitimacy, and so, of course, there's going to be distance and defense. And, for the semi-innocent CD, that ends up being elitism to them.

I do think that if CD's associated more with the fetish crowd (PVC, leather, etc), exclusively used "crossdresser"; instead of "transvestite" or the umbrella "tranny" ;and transgendered people associated with their associated gender and made it clear that they were a transgendered woman or a transgendered man, it would make things far more well understood to the world at large, getting rid of the problem you're posting about. But, that's all theory versus reality. Can't we all just get along?

But, anyway, I am closeted transgendered, as I've posted many times before. I don't get my rocks off on female clothes. In fact, I almost never dress. And, I'm not a crossdresser, at all. But, I do think you deserve to be able to live your life as you please.
    Last edited by Sophie_C; 06-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.

In an Enigma,surrounded by a Black Hole,inside a Conundrum
    Giving Frédérique a BIG
    "it all unfolds before your eyes ,let Merlin cast his spell" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with Sophie can feel it inside and mentally there is no longer a need to dress up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Flaming statements often include the pronoun, "You".
    Words to live by! If you see the word "you" occuring in a post you're composing you should think carefully before clicking your Post button!

"You" is like dynamite. It's powerful and can be used either for good or evil.

Discussion of ideas is good, criticism of each other is bad.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]