Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women's prescription glasses?

Women's prescription glasses?

Dear ladies

I am considering obtaining some spectacles in a woman's style to help me when I am out and about enfemme. I need my spectacles to function properly eg drive / read and have never been able to wear contacts.

Does anyone have any specific advice on glasses?
    - width (are women's eyewear of a smaller width?)
    - any particular styles that would suit a CD more (eg disguise some masculine facial features or at least not emphasise them?)

Thank you for your advice as always,

Natasha

I guess some do but I just wear my regular glasses when driving Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi Natasha: I have a pair of women's glasses that I wear when I am en femme. I obtained them in an unusual way. I had gotten my prescription for lenses from my optometrist because I was moving. My S.O. went to a glasses shop and picked out the frames for me and gave them my prescription. I am very happy with them.
    Some eyewear shops do have a section of unisex frames that can be worn by males or females. There are some styles that work for either gender.
    A lot depends on where you live and what service you use. In one place where I used to live the service that I went to was not very friendly. I found a pair of frames that I really liked and the salesperson gave me an ugly look and dissuaded me from getting them because they were women's frames. Needless to say I quit going there.

If you're uncomfortable about buying femme glasses in person you can use a website like Zinni Optical. You can even upload a picture to their site and try glasses on until you find a pair that suits you. The huge bonus is that the prices are very inexpensive. Glasses that would have cost over $300 at Lenscrafters cost less than $80 through Zinni.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I have just got myself some femme glasses. I went to an optometrist to get a new prescription but bought my frames online from http://www.39dollarglasses.com/

As for what style, shape, color etc would disguise masculine features, I'm not really sure. I guess the more girly the glasses the better!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Like Rachel, I have bought female glasses from 39dollarglasses.com and am happy with them. In fact I wear them every day! I have a narrow face and HAVE to wear female frames, as male frames are just too big for me.

Anna
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going."
    -Winston Churchill

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    5-ish years ago, I did go through the expense of buying some "obviously femme" prescription glasses to wear when I went out, with the intent that I should look Very Different, as I had in mind that the way people were identifying me so easily was through my glasses.

In retrospect it turned out to not have been worthwhile for me.

People who had never seen me Dressed before and had never seen those glasses before, still had no problem at all in identifying me, so they weren't useful for that.

And I had decided that since I was only going to be using them occasionally, that it would be good enough to buy regular lens rather than getting Progressive -- after all, I hadn't been doing so bad in fixed lenses up until then. Well, it turned out that once you need Progressives that it is difficult to go back, and I couldn't use them for much of the social minutiae, like reading menus.

Between the glasses not being an effective disguise for me, and the glasses not being situationally useful for me, I ended up not using those glasses much. Interestingly, recently I ended up using them for a week while my regular glasses were broken, and my wife exclaimed about how nice the frames looked on me...

But that's me. There are a lot of people who look very different when they put on different glasses. If you are lucky enough to be one of the "People who know me don't recognize me when I'm dressed!" group, then femme glasses can help complete appearance. I just happen to be on the other directly opposite group, the "Everyone recognizes me and no-one is surprised" group.

When I bought the above-mentioned frames, I also had to buy my everyday frames. One of the few styles that I liked and which could take sufficiently large lens was a rimless style that was a touch on the feminine side of androgynous. With my previous rimmed style, I had difficulties because the frame cut right over top of the eye-shadow area, but the rimless design really opened my eyes up. Those glasses become my everyday glasses, and it worked out fine.

My advice when you are looking for women's glasses, is to go ahead and try on the "odd" styles and the "silly" glasses. Call it "entertainment" if that's what you need to try a big variety on. At some point you will try on "something stupid" and you will look in the mirror and suddenly it doesn't look stupid at all -- oh, it still might not be the right pair, but you will have realized that something in the design Works For You, and it will change your perspective considerably.

Just last week, I tried on some Silly Frames, purple and rhinestones, and I found that I liked them. They were silly, yes, but in a playful way, and did not reach as far as ridiculous. If my lens weren't so very expensive (!!), I would have thought seriously about buying the silly frames for casual wear.

Get your rescription from the eye doctor you see. Go online to Zenni optical and fit glasses to your face via your pic. Just follow the instructions. I bought three pair of transitional bifocal lenses with frames delivered to me for $ 155.00 total. No one can match them.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Give All About Eyes, or Eye Mart Express a try if you can go in and try on frames. With your prescription, two pair of progressives are less than $100, single vision are around two for $70. Dont know their frame selection, and you are at the mercy of how accepting the SA will be. Hope to get two pair later this summer.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I went to the eye doctor on June 25 and my new prescription is on my desk, I still can;t decide what cat;s eyes frames to buy. I have a great black pair of cat's
    eyes that are clear frame, three pairs in fact, the others being torquise and the other grey, but my favor are the black, somewhat over sized.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Last summer I decided the H--- with it and went to Pearl Vision and had my eyes checked and bought new glasses and also picked out a pair of frames from the fem rack. The SA told me what they were and I just told her that I knew and those were the free pair that I would like. She looked at me a little strange but did not say a word. I do like them but may try one of the on line sites mentioned. Might have to have a 2nd pair.

Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    Get your rescription from the eye doctor you see. Go online to Zenni optical and fit glasses to your face via your pic. Just follow the instructions. I bought three pair of transitional bifocal lenses with frames delivered to me for $ 155.00 total. No one can match them.
    Yes!!! Zenni is terrific. I've bought single vision glasses from them guys and girls. They start at about $8.

Definitely Check out Zenni!
    Last edited by "Mary"; 07-04-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Nancie64 View Post
    ...picked out a pair of frames from the fem rack. The SA told me what they were and I just told her that I knew and those were the free pair that I would like. She looked at me a little strange but did not say a word.
    I often wonder if the brick and mortar opticians realize that this sort of "customer service" is pushing more customers to discover much more economical on-line alternatives such as those discussed in this thread? CDers are a tiny part of their clientele, but I can thing of other groups that might react similarly. In my case, lack of gender sensitivity resulted not only in loss of a femme glasses sale, but also in the loss of future male mode glasses sales as well.

In any case, it's saving me hundreds of dollars, which I will probably spend on clothes!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

My every day glasses are form the women's rack, they are rimless with wire temples that complement my hair color. The lenses match the shape of my eye and so far no one has ever said a single word.
    You might consider finding something you like that will look good on you reguardless of how you are dressed it could save you some money and time.
    The eye doctor wants you to be happy with your purchase so they will do their best to help you find something you like, this way when its time for a new pair you will come back.
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

About 8 years ago a national chain refused to let me even try on female frame, needless to say I have never gone their again, nor did I purchase a pair then. This was even before the eye exam.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

As long as you know your eyeglass prescription, go to www.zennioptical.com
    you will also have to know your pupillary distance, simply put on a pair of glasses, look in a mirror and with an erasable marker, put a dot where your pupils are. Measure. You're done.
    They have lots of frames, prices start at $6.99 for frame with lenses included. At that price you can order as many as you want. Last time I ordered, shipping was flat rate of $4.99 for as many pairs as you want. I think they're made in china, so of course the metal frames aren't made as nice as Bausch and Lomb (the 'gold' plating wears off in about 2 years, but for 7 bucks what do you want?).
    I have about 10 pairs from them. Still, that's still under $100 for all those plus shipping. If there seems something wrong with the glasses, they will ship replacements quickly too; last time, they didn't even want the 'wrong' ones back, I was told to just throw them away.
    Many frames come in multiple widths, and multiple colors although they don't always tell you so you have to look through all the pictures.
    They also sell better quality frames, titanium, etc.
    Have fun!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Here's my plan.

I'm going to go to my optometrist and get a prescription, an then go to Pearl Vision or someplace like that when they are having a buy one get one free sale. I'll get one for my male side and then I'll openly select a femme one. I assume that the SA will just be sweet about helping me pick out a femme frame. If the SA asks too many questions, I'll just say, "If I tell you, I'll have to shoot you." With a wink of course. I've decided that I don't really care what the SA thinks.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I buy my glasses at Costco with a prescription from my eye doctor. I'll look at the gender neutral glasses and usually pick something similar from the woman's glasses selection. A couple of times the SA has mentioned to my that the glasses that I picked were woman's glasses; which I replied, Oh really and bought them anyway. They don't care what you buy.
    Dana Ryan

Cute and Southern Fried KerryLynn's Avatar
    Personally i just went in and picked out frames. The service people there will not concern themselves with what frames your buying. I personally bought mine not because they were female frames, but because the frames fit my face until almost all of the men's frames. That and the fact the cheapest pair were females so I went that route. What ever way you go pick a pair of frames that fit comfortably not because they are one gender or the other.
    Kerry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Evil Monkey..... ooops wrong panties

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I often wonder if the brick and mortar opticians realize that this sort of "customer service" is pushing more customers to discover much more economical on-line alternatives such as those discussed in this thread? CDers are a tiny part of their clientele, but I can thing of other groups that might react similarly. In my case, lack of gender sensitivity resulted not only in loss of a femme glasses sale, but also in the loss of future male mode glasses sales as well.

In any case, it's saving me hundreds of dollars, which I will probably spend on clothes!
    Never thought of it that way before. I just use Zenni for convenience and cost. You are probably quite right.

Before Zenni, I paid $ 650.00 for my last pair of glasses; one pair and the store owners were social friends with me at the club next door to their store.

I also bought my glasses from Costco (one unisex and one ladies) quite happy with glasses and service

Went to Binyons - two for one - one was unisex style (which I also wear when dressed) the other I picked out a light purple frame similar in style to the other but definitely femm - the sales said "you do know that these are womens glasses" and "actually they look nice on you..........................Debra

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Glasses are not simply about gender, but about face shape. There are an immense number of websites that talk about glasses and which face shape is flattered by which glasses shape and size. There is also a discussion in "The Art of Illusion" and many other TG-help books!

Once you have your prescription and know what shape you wish, it will be great fun to decide to get your glasses live or over the web!

Natasha:
    I suggest you go to clearlycontacts.ca.
    You can select the styles you like, give them your prescription and they will fill it and send you the glasses.
    Their prices are very good and they have a terrific selection.
    Read the information on their Web page explaining the whole process.
    I have purchased two pairs of ladies glasses in bifocals from Clearly Contracts and love them,.
    Also, you can return them within a year for a full refund if you are not happy.
    You won't find a better deal anywhere else.
    They ship to the U.S.

CindI

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    When I was looking for frames about 5 years ago, one of the local budget (but not "discount") places had no problem dealing with me, but another didn't want to show me female frames even though I indicated that I was fine looking at them. The place I ended up using was not a discount place; the owners of it did not have any experience with trans people, but they did their best to assist me.

The discount "one hour lens" places here consider my prescription to be too strong to deal with, even in their regional factories.

Optometrists, in issuing my prescription, tell me outright that I need to be sure to get high quality lens such as Nikon, that in my prescription range the lower quality lens would have significant distortions.

The glasses I ordered about 2 weeks ago are going to be $1100, about 60% of which will be cost of the lenses.

There is, if I understand correctly, at most one company in the world that makes contacts that I could use.