Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women's prescription glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    Never thought of it that way before. I just use Zenni for convenience and cost. You are probably quite right.

Before Zenni, I paid $ 650.00 for my last pair of glasses; one pair and the store owners were social friends with me at the club next door to their store.
    Hey, I'll be your friend too if you bring me $500 pure profit every couple of years!

For me, Zenni is even more convenient than Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters doesn't carry my prescription in stock, so they have to send out for the lenses and I have to return to the store one or two weeks later to pick up the glasses. With Zenni they deliver right to my mailbox in about the same amount of time.

Back in the good old days glasses were actually carefully fitted to one's head and it made sense to go to a well-skilled optician. These days they're spring-loaded and the Lenscrafters people just slap them on you and say "Is that OK?" I can do that for myself!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Hi Natasha, I have two pairs of women's glasses, one clear, one sungalsses. I chose frames that looked best on me and had to try on many before I found tha ones that were just right. Perhaps you can do the same thing to choose a style that fits your facial features and enhances your femme persona.

I chose a pink metalic frame for my clear glasses and a red plastic frame for my sunglasses. Both make me look years younger and I've never regretted choosing femme frames.

PS I also have my male frames for when I'm in guy mode.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I rarely contribute (and am rarely on here), but I clicked through and saw this so I thought I'd chip in!

My past four frames have been Chelsea Morgan, Anne Klein, Bebe, and Jessica Simpson. I'm a very picky frames shopper and try on all kinds. With those "female" choices, I've gotten major kudos from tons of people. The Jessica Simpsons netted a comment from a bagger at my local grocery store that I was ahead of the eyeglasses fashion curve!

Find the right pair that looks good, and you can wear them all the time--regardless of which gender section from which they came! Good luck finding your perfect pair!

Platinum Member
    Hi Natasha, As I only wear reading glasses I can get womans style glasses at the dollar stores.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Hey, I'll be your friend too if you bring me $500 pure profit every couple of years!
    LOL, Isn't that the truth! Just so Natsha knows, if she goes to Zenni, she can save any pair in favorites, and then expand the box to get details, i.e., width. My frames are 133 mm.wide which equate to my male frame size. Just measure your male frames. for width in MM's.
    Last edited by Eryn; 07-07-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Ladies,

Thank you so much for your help. Time to go trying on a few pairs of glasses.

Hugs
    Natasha
    x

I wear bifocals so I was a little hesitant about getting them online. I had some money left on my FSA and got a new prescription and new safety glasses from Lenscrafters. I also wanted to get some new girlie glasses.

My SO and I went to LensCrafters and Eye Masters. She wasn't much help in picking out new frames for Cassandra. Anyway I found a new frame at LensCrafters that I absolutely adored and found that I could get them much cheaper online. I was all set to order them online but I called LensCrafters (not the one I usually go to), and they had the frame in stock. I thought it might be best to try a pair on first.

So when I went into the store, I found them and tried them on. The sales lady said the Men's frames were on the other side and I said that was okay, that I wanted these. And so it went. She was very helpful, professional and I don't really think she even thought that I wanted women's frames because I dress up. She asked what kind of work I do and do I use a computer and so on. They have a computerized fitting system and she showed me that they would not work with my prescription for bifocals. The frame was just a little too short to fit the bifocals. I was getting a little frustrated, but relieved to find that I didn't order these particular frames on line and pay for something that wouldn't work.
    I went to look for another frame. And there it was. An awesome Oakley women's frame. On clearance,my kind of style, fit my face and my prescription.

So with the 40% discount, I wound up paying $306 for a nice pair of prescription Oakleys, with transition lenses. All together about half price.

People with single vision or simple prescriptions can benefit greatly from buying glasses online. I think if you have bifocals though, you may want to get them fitted.

Bottom line though, I don't think people notice what you buy or even care.
    man, i feel like a woman

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra54 View Post
    So with the 40% discount, I wound up paying $306 for a nice pair of prescription Oakleys, with transition lenses. All together about half price.

People with single vision or simple prescriptions can benefit greatly from buying glasses online. I think if you have bifocals though, you may want to get them fitted..
    I don't see bifocals or progressives as being harder to fit. They do make frame selection more difficult as there is a minimum height to accommodate the bifocal or progressive lens. I wear progressives in a rather strong prescription. On the Zenni website as soon as you enter your prescription it will automatically delete any frames that are unsuitable. That way, you aren't disappointed by selecting a frame that ultimately won't work with your prescription.

Like yours, my glasses at Lenscrafters cost about $300, after that huge "discount" that virtually every customer gets. My Zenni glasses with the same progressive high index lenses cost about $85. Considering that the only "fitting" they do at Lenscrafters is sliding the glasses onto my face (while looking very professional, of course!) I'm happy to save $215 and put them on myself.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I did not read all the post (sorry) but i bought myself a nice pair of glasses femme of course at the doller store when i want that look .Thet actually work for reading other than that i have my old man byfocals lol
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

I don't see bifocals or progressives as being harder to fit. They do make frame selection more difficult as there is a minimum height to accommodate the bifocal or progressive lens. I wear progressives in a rather strong prescription. On the Zenni website as soon as you enter your prescription it will automatically delete any frames that are unsuitable. That way, you aren't disappointed by selecting a frame that ultimately won't work with your prescription.

Like yours, my glasses at Lenscrafters cost about $300, after that huge "discount" that virtually every customer gets. My Zenni glasses with the same progressive high index lenses cost about $85. Considering that the only "fitting" they do at Lenscrafters is sliding the glasses onto my face (while looking very professional, of course!) I'm happy to save $215 and put them on myself.
    i might try that next time Eryn, but I wear lined bifocals. turns out that if i did order the frames i liked online, which could have been made into bifocals, would not have worked. the bifocal area would have been too small, or short i should say.

but i would definitely agree with you that there is a HUGE markup in glasses.
    man, i feel like a woman

Aspiring Member
    Hi ladies: I just love the amber tinted rimless glasses that the fast girls wear. I don't know whether they would be suitable for this CD, but I sure would like to try.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    If you're uncomfortable about buying femme glasses in person you can use a website like Zinni Optical. You can even upload a picture to their site and try glasses on until you find a pair that suits you. The huge bonus is that the prices are very inexpensive. Glasses that would have cost over $300 at Lenscrafters cost less than $80 through Zinni.
    I agree with Eryn, I have bought lots of glasses at Zenni Optical and the service and cost has been wonderful. For single lens (not progressive or bifocals) the cost can be even less than the $80 that Eryn mentions. I have gotten good quality glasses for my son for like only $25. One shipping price so you might want to get one regular set and then maybe a femme set of glasses too. I think femme glasses rather than size. But speaking of size in order to get glasses you have your prescription which the optometrist gives you and then you need one other dimension that you measure yourself. Pupillary Distance (PD) is the measurement between the pupils of both your eyes. Have someone else measure you with a ruler and the measurement is in mm. There is also a category for size of frames too (S, M, L). The web site explains it all. Highly recommended.

Lots of good advice, but a few years back I took my new perscription and went to a local,OKC, store told the lady clerk my desires and a few days later my fem glasses were sent to me. If your boy self needs glasses then the sweet side does also.

Measure your frames for their sizes and use that on one of the sites like ZenniOptical or Glassesshop.com.
    When I have my annual exam I always ask the Dr for a copy of my Rx and then I can go on line and buy something nice at a discount. My last pair were from Glassesshop and with the frames, progressive lenses, UV coating, AR coating and shipping they were under $80 and are actually better than the ones the Dr made.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I have three sets of everyday frames I wear and all of them are off the women's rack. All of them were purchased from different stores with my last set being purchased from the UK. They aren't sold here in the US. They are my red frames. You really do need to try them on to see what looks best on you. I wish I could wear single vision but I don't. Progressive for me.

Oh and not to cause a stir but lenses are not all the same. You do get what you pay for. $50 set of lenses aren't even close to a $200 set. It's all in how clear you want to see and can afford.