Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outed at Work?? :worried:

Outed at Work?? :worried:

[SIZE="4"]OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGIAMFREAKINGOUT!!![/SIZE]

I think I might have outed myself at work, which is bad since I can be fired for this. I went out en femme last night and I accidentally grabbed the waterproof mascara and put that on before realizing that I had to be at work at five this morning. I washed all my makeup off and scrubbed my face clean (including vigorously scrubbing my eyelashes) and I thought I was good to go.

I get into work this morning and my boss looks at me and says “dude, are you wearing eyeliner?”
    I responded audibly “No.” which was true.
    On the inside, I responded thusly: “AAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!
    My boss looks at me and says “it looks like you’re wearing eyeliner. Why are your eyes so dark?”

Decision point: come clean and take my chances or lie my ass off and live to fight another day.
    Analysis: I have no money saved and no exit strategy, so I can’t afford to get fired right now.
    Final answer: bring on the bulls***!

“What do you want from me, I’m really tired. I got all of two hours of sleep and I have bags.”
    “Okay, it really looks like you have eyeliner on.”
    “Do I look like the kind of dude who wears eyeliner? [I don’t]"

Now, It’s clear by the look on his face that he doesn’t believe the BS I fed him and he already thinks I’m wearing makeup. He knows I’m lying to him and he thinks he knows what I’m lying about. I have to fess up to lying, but with another equally innocent story that’s just crazy enough to be true. Fortunately, I have just the story.

I excuse myself and go to the restroom to try to scrub the junk off. No such luck. This stuff is bulletproof! If it weren’t a sturdy bag of horsecrap and a hair’s breadth from costing me my job, I’d be very impressed with the stuff. I go back to my workstation, which is located right next to my boss’, and I ask to speak to him.

“Look, I haven’t been entirely forthcoming with you about this. Back in 2008 when I was living in San Diego, I went to this one really nice salon to get my hair cut. My stylist recommended that I dye my eyelashes to bring out the color of my eyes [this part is entirely, 100% true]. I did it and it worked wonders [also true]. I got it done last night and I forgot that the dye sometimes runs and can stain your eyelids for a couple of days after the treatment [less-than-honest].”
    “Oh! Really? They do that? Hahahaha! I thought you were running around wearing makeup! Oh, God, you can’t make that s*** up!”
    “no kidding…”

Anyway, everyone at work made fun of me for wearing makeup and having smoky eyes the rest of the day (it’s their way, and it was all good-natured). In fact, one of my coworkers even said “I don’t care, so long as you’re not crossdressing… I mean, even then…”
    “uh huh.”

Decision point: test the waters with everyone’s tolerance and loyalty, or take it like an asshat for the rest of the day.
    Analysis: if I play it right, I can do this in such a way that people just think I’m fed up with their nonsense.
    Final answer: let’s do it!

I furrowed my brow in faux frustration and growled “Yeah, and what if I was?”
    [silence from all three of my coworkers, boss is not present at this time]
    The lone GG of the group speaks up and says “Then you should just say so!”
    “Even if I were, I couldn’t unless I wanted to get kicked out. You can still get sent home for that.”
    The black dude says “Man, I wouldn’t care…”
    The older white dude says “well… Don’t wear a wig to the office.”

And nobody talked about it any further through the day. The GG knows for sure, I’m pretty sure the older white guy has a good idea, the black guy probably knows, but the real test will be my next shift. I’ll know if they know tomorrow.

I really can’t afford to get fired right now…

You tell a good story, it was a really nice read. I'm sorry though that it's at your own expense. Hope it turns out alright.

But I have to ask, how the heck would you get fired just for admitting you are a crossdresser?
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Thank you! When I have a story worth telling, I try to tell it well.

To answer your question, the military views crossdressing as indicative of gender identity disorder, which is medically disqualifying.

That was my guess. Thanks for clarifying. That said, good luck...and some prayers wouldn't hurt either.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Just act like it never happened. They will probably have forgotten anyway so no point in reminding them. It's amazing how short people's memories are - they're all wrapped up in their own issues.

Sophia,
    So are you in the military or are you a civilian employee? Certain parts of the country are currently under specific Federal Courts of Appeal that have ruled that discrimination against transgendered people is sex discrimination covered by Title VII (if I remember the number correctly). This would apply to civilian employees for sure as the latest ruling was specifically about government employees.

My suggestion is to just let it sit. Don't bring it up. If you don't make a big deal out of it, they probably won't. Also, while I haven't used the waterproof mascara, I would suspect that the oil based eye makeup removers would have had a chance. Next time try before you commit when it could make a difference!

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Great story! I hope you survive to fight another day! Sometimes sheeeeeeeeeeeeit happens! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Shipmate (I'm guessing?)

Admit NOTHING!!!! Let me say that again, admit NOTHING, especially CD'ing. You may catch some crap for wearing mascara but that doesn't mean or prove anything. Believe me, some of the crazy crap my sailors used to do, a little eye makeup isn't anything to worry about.

Oh yeah, keep a small package of makeup wipes and some liquid eye makeup remover and Q-Tips in your car.

Debby
    Debby

Quote Originally Posted by LeannL View Post
    Sophia,
    So are you in the military or are you a civilian employee? Certain parts of the country are currently under specific Federal Courts of Appeal that have ruled that discrimination against transgendered people is sex discrimination covered by Title VII (if I remember the number correctly). This would apply to civilian employees for sure as the latest ruling was specifically about government employees.

My suggestion is to just let it sit. Don't bring it up. If you don't make a big deal out of it, they probably won't. Also, while I haven't used the waterproof mascara, I would suspect that the oil based eye makeup removers would have had a chance. Next time try before you commit when it could make a difference!

Leann
    I'm enlisted, so that ruling doesn't apply to me, unfortunately. Good looking out, though. I'm sure a time will come when CD/TGs will be welcome to serve as openly as their LGB counterparts, but until then, we've gotta be careful. I certainly didn't mean to grab the waterproof! I never wear the stuff! Honest! I was in a hurry, and I just grabbed the first bottle of mascara that I saw. Lesson learned: the price of haste can be terrible indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Debglam View Post
    Shipmate (I'm guessing?)

Admit NOTHING!!!! Let me say that again, admit NOTHING, especially CD'ing. You may catch some crap for wearing mascara but that doesn't mean or prove anything. Believe me, some of the crazy crap my sailors used to do, a little eye makeup isn't anything to worry about.

Oh yeah, keep a small package of makeup wipes and some liquid eye makeup remover and Q-Tips in your car.

Debby
    Shipmate, aye. Well, I'm with Uncle Sam's Casual Guys these days, but I did ten with the big boys before that. No, I admit nothing. Absolutely nothing. The best they have on me is circumstantial and I have made sure that I have a firm alibi for all of that, too. Until today, they have exactly what I allowed them to have. Today was the first slip I've made in nearly 15 years. Thanks!

The discussion that your boss had with you was certainly uncalled for and is sexual harassment. If you get fired, you are most likely protected by anti-discrimination laws.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Claire View Post
    I accidentally grabbed the waterproof mascara and put that on before realizing that I had to be at work at five this morning. I washed all my makeup off and scrubbed my face clean (including vigorously scrubbing my eyelashes) and I thought I was good to go.
    Waterproof mascara requires special treatment. Baby oil/wipes in a pinch or the eyemakeup remover you can get at any drugstore. L'Oreal makes a nice one, it is blue colored can't miss it.

Shipmate, aye. Well, I'm with Uncle Sam's Casual Guys these days, but I did ten with the big boys before that.
    Isn't Coast Guard under DHS jurisdiction and thusly the standard DoD military rules don't apply? Though admittedly in time of war they transfer authority to the DoN. But technically right now, you're DHS, a civvy. (yes I know the CG is pseudo-military but they were once Department of Transportation!)

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    The discussion that your boss had with you was certainly uncalled for and is sexual harassment. If you get fired, you are most likely protected by anti-discrimination laws.
    Surely true, however the facts of the case and the relevant background information begs questions about my lifestyle that I don't wish to be made public (ie accessible to my parents, who would be curious) for any reason ever. Getting shuffled off home for being a crossdresser is a relatively quiet affair. Dragging the entire Coast Guard through a painful litigation process that will ruin what's then left of my life is certainly not worth any amount of money that they could offer me. Besides, the coast guard hasn't been THAT good to me, anyway. If I had a couple thousand bucks squirreled away somewhere, I'd probably go into work en femme and make a big scene until they sent me home.

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    Isn't Coast Guard under DHS jurisdiction and thusly the standard DoD military rules don't apply? Though admittedly in time of war they transfer authority to the DoN. But technically right now, you're DHS, a civvy. (yes I know the CG is pseudo-military but they were once Department of Transportation!)

Veronica
    That's a good point VM but that is mostly for administrative purposes. The USCG IS subject to the same body of law, the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), that the rest of the services are. Military "justice" is about discipline and this is made very clear. A lot of the legal protections that civilians get just don't apply.

Trans of any shade is still actionable and a cause for discharge as the OP stated. The key is the military has to PROVE it! Even if they were to catch you fully dressed (assuming you weren't on duty ala Corporal Klinger) you never would want to say "trans" or "CD" or whatever. Any lame excuse still leaves them with having to prove it.

Deb
    Debby

OOH! I'll have to go look for it!

Veronica
    I am most certainly not a civvy! I went to boot camp. I wear a uniform. I've taken more fire on CG missions than all of my navy deployments combined. I'm just not DoD. I'm subject to the UCMJ, which is why sex discrimination and hate crime rulings for transgenders don't apply to me. In fact, I recently was subject to non-judicial punishment under articles 92 and 87 of the UCMJ. While it is true that the coast guard falls under DHS authority, we are still uniformed members of the armed services. We're not pseudo-military, our Commandant is still a sitting member of the joint chiefs of staff and our commander in chief is still the president. I took the exact same oath of enlistment as a whole bunch of airmen, marines, sailors and soldiers. We're just as military as everyone else. We also have broad law enforcement authority. It's a tricky line to dance, but we're very good at it.

B.B.C.D. & D.Q.I.T. Chloe' Buffington's Avatar
    First let me say, Thank you for your service. I had a similar incedent in 1980 while serving in the Marine Corps. A 1st Lt. asked if I was wearing eye makeup, I said sorry sir I thought I cleaned it all off after the rock concert last night, Kiss was playing near the base. He bought it but sent me back to the barracks to "do a better job of cleaning it off". Good Luck with your situation, I'm pullin for ya.
    Chloe'
    Life is too short to not be who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Debglam View Post
    That's a good point VM but that is mostly for administrative purposes. The USCG IS subject to the same body of law, the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), that the rest of the services are.
    Thanks for the info, Deb.

I'm subject to the UCMJ, .....
    And likewise, Sophia. No offense was intended.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

And likewise, Sophia. No offense was intended.

Veronica
    Oh, none taken. That whole DHS/DOD thing can be confusing.

I don't know anything about the military Sophia but it seems you skirted the boundaries as far as you can take it. I'd take the advice given here about keeping some cleaning wipes in your car unless, you fear your car can be search without your consent. If so,you must just have a hard rule to keep Sophia away from work. As you said, you cannot afford to be fired now, so it Sophia must take a step back to allow the Coastie in you thrive at work. Discipline,discipline, and discipline honey.

Good Luck Sophie.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Very sticky situation you are in so maybe just let it blow over.
    The CO is the only one you need to worry about really anyone else I wouldn't worry too much. The dying eye lash thing sounds like a plausible story.
    Always CYA and never give them more info than they need.
    I got my ass in trouble a few times in boot camp but not over eyeliner lol.
    Good luck.

I am not saying this is the situation but as CDers in my experience we tend to assume that people are reading more into us than is true. It may be that some of your coworkers read you but in all reality I think that we tend to assume that people see and think more than they do. From what I have observed in the world people rarely pay attention to anything that does not affect them directly. There have been plenty of times that I have gone to work with what to me seem to be totally glittery lips and not one person has said a word or even looked at me differently. Again while I am not trying to say this is absolutely the case do you think that there might be a possibility that you are just overthinking the situation and in all reality occam's razor is the answer that the simplest answer is usually the correct one and the simplest answer is that while you boss may have noticed something the rest of your coworkers may have just been being friendly and not actually noticed anything? I could be completely off base of course
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

Aspiring Member
    Complete removal of eye makeup is the primary reason that when I buy liner or mascara, I look for washable types. These still last a good amount of time as long as you're not sweating or rubbing your eyes a lot. Even then, I only go full bore on the eye makeup on nights before a day off from work.

Platinum Member
    Hi Sophia, Please do keep us advised.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Aspiring Member
    Sophia,
    I think that this will be a non-event so long as you keep your femme life seperate from work. My experience is that so long as you do your job well (and your CO is not a transphobe) this will just fade away. If they try to bust you for eyeliner while off duty, then they will have to bust every goth and heavy metal player as well.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

A good reason to use baby oil to remove eye makeup and not soap and water.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !