Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: our daughter

Quote Originally Posted by melinda45 View Post
    ... wife now wants me to dress in front of her and make her call me mom now to kind of calling her bluff.
    Not a good idea. It might push your child over the edge and drive a big wedge between your child, you, and your wife. This can be a very sensitive issue.

. theropy and stuff has not helped at all ...
    Why not? Was it the wrong counsellor? Did your child feel judged? A competent therapist, regardless of qualifications, recognises that s/he cannot work with everyone due to personality clashes or other reasons. I've run into this issue myself. The only solution is finding another counsellor. It sounds like someone qualified in gender issues would be a good idea.

Divorce and remarriage is a significant blow to a child. Both my parents were teachers, and children of divorce usually lost a year because they are too upset to concentrate on their schoolwork. Some act out, and some become reclusive.

I don't know your child, and this is purely speculation on my part, but perhaps the breast binding is an indicator that there is a underlying problem that is not necessarily gender-related. Children sometimes do some strange things when they are hurting and trying to attract attention that they have a problem.

I'm wondering if a pediatric psychiatrist can help here. A referral from your family doctor or pediatrician may be required to obtain an appointment.

Getting to the root of this issue is likely to take some time. I wish you well in getting things resolved.

hi i have been a closet dresser for yrs. only my wife knows .my step daughter now at 14 thinks she is a boy and binds when she goes out . she wont talk to us much about it she is slight asbergers to. as step dad she will not talk at all to me . wife now wants me to dress in front of her and make her call me mom now to kind of calling her bluff. so to speak . just trying to get her to open up . theropy and stuff has not helped at all . what do you all think ??? i posted in transmen section too thanks very much just need help
    you should tell her first and let her decide when she wants to see you dressed it might just be too much for her to handle if you just appear as your other self

Hi,

Before you do any thing at all . ill ask a ? or two . there seems to be some barries between you & daughter, do you know what they are as that will help matters far better in understanding whats going on in your daughters mind . yes im aware of the other detail that to could be a part of the detail .

At 14 how does she fit in at school are there school problems what about mates friends & going out with friends .

If you do have to do the dressing act i would not i would think about if you must show her some of your clothes & say do you like them what do you think of them , would you be bothered if i wore them,= along those lines o thinking.

DONT ...push her in to a corner, if you do do the clothes detail make it fun, push her you lose her.

Will she sit down with your wife & you & just have a friendly chat like the weather or hows school you know get to know how she feels about things or she may have other issues that are hidden very deep. try thinking as she is .
    You may just have a open window here dont smash the glass as you try to get in,

...noeleena...

Do you use the term 'son' when talking to him? Pronouns are as important to hear as nouns.
    Hopefully it will help him realize you understand, more than just telling him you understand. (Hey son (not Hey Matt), want to go . . . )

He's at the age of not talking about his feelings, even if being trans was not a part of the equation.

Get him involved with guy things, if possible, and if you also do guy things. Working on your car, ballgames, etc.

And yes, tell him you are also trans in a way. Tell him you know what he is going through is a lot different than you being a CD. You can show him, if he asks to see, otherwise it is just something else he'll be confused about.
    DonnaT

I don't think that telling her that you crossdress is the best thing. She has withdrawn into herself and is trying to find out who she is. If she is wanting to present herself as a boy, male bonding is what she is looking for, not more of the female bonding. Treat her as you would a 14 year old boy. Have him help change the oil in the car/truck. Let him get dirty. Start teaching him the things he needs to know to be a man. This will create a bond between you and him that will seem more natural as father and son. She/He may change in the middle of this but it is a path to get her/him to open up as she learns to deal with life as a boy. Trust is not something that is given, it has to be earned and right now she/he trusts nothing outside of her/his mental world.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    Do you use the term 'son' when talking to him?
    That's a good point. Have you asked Matt what pronouns should be used to refer to Matt?
    Reine

I have worked with a couple of people who have asperger's, dated another, and am a bit familiar with it in younger people because I work with kids. However, I'm not a trained psychologist, and I do know that it tends to present differently in genetic males than in genetic females so take this with a grain of salt!

I think it would be better if you focused on your child rather than yourself in the current moment. Many people with asperger's tend to not have huge amounts of empathy, and so having another person with a different issue with their gender trying to say, 'you'll get through this,' may not be helpful. Matt may see it as a rejection of maleness in general, or that even adults don't have this stuff all sorted yet - and so what hope does ze have to sort it out? Depressing (potentially).

Is there a homeschool association where you live (that isn't overrun with religious households?) what about activity groups run at the YMCA or the local community center? What about getting Matt out of the house with some interesting physical activities that match other interests? If Matt has an interest in history or Internet role playing games, maybe archery would be awesome. Sometimes meeting different people helps, sometimes it is horribly awkward for people with asperger's.

If I were you I would make sure that Matt knows how valued ze is, and that it doesn't matter to either you or your wife what gender eventually Matt settles on. I would also suggest that a good binder would really be a great investment - faster and more efficient than an Ace bandage, with less of a chance of damaging ligaments. Buying a binder might be a better way to show support than bringing up cross dressing.
    Last edited by Babeba; 07-07-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Being a tiny bit more clear!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Try not to use ace bandages they can hurt and damage skin and the rib cage. If you need info there is a great web site ftmguide.org They have all kinds of great info on every thing you and Matt needs to know about passing and dressing male. I use this site a lot when I have questions or looking for resources. Let me know if there is any questions you might have. Just PM me And I will answer soon as I can.
    I knew I was not a girl from about 5-6 years old and I knew I was not just a tom boy either. When I hit puberty that was pure H@ll for me.
    Hope the web site helps. Maybe later more of the guys will be on and answer to.

thank you all for your time and kind words !!

Please do keep us posted!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If he wants to be called Matt then respect that and call him Matt.
    If he wants to be involved in doing guy things then by all means show him.Fishing ,hunting,car repairs,sports whatever.
    14 is an awkward age and to have all this going on too has to be hard to handle but support, love and acceptance should help as well.
    Is there any things that he has an intense interest in that you can build on and maybe share?
    All I know about AS is kids tend to lock into one interest and thats all they want to do or talk about.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 07-12-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Silver Member
    hi i dont know where else to post this and im sorry if i offend anyone . i dont mean to at all just need help with our 14 yr. old . she has slight aburgurgers syndrum . fyi . well she now thinks she is a boy and has cut her hair and binds whenever she goes out she is now home schooled and does not get out much at all .she will not talk to anyone at all about it . a little with her mom and me being step dad not at all . she and her mom have been here with me for 8 yrs. fyi . well now her mom thinks if i crossdress and make her call me mom she might talk to us about her feelings . i just at a loss . please let me know your thoughts . thanks a lot
    I see a couple of problems here.

Your daughter: She has every right to determine her own gender. Leave her alone or offer her help. Please don't try to help her get over her delusion. She's not deluded.

Talking: I dunno. It's hard to talk with teenagers anyway. But most of them get over it eventually. This may just be a perfectly normal fact of life.

Crossdressing: This is the silliest excuse I have ever heard for crossdressing. If you want to crossdress, go ahead. But don't try and blame it on your daughter (or new son).

S

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Melinda, your step daughter is experiencing some serious gender issues. Girls don't just bind their breasts and demand to be called Matt because of the MTV.

She has no idea you're a CD so I can promise you that just showing up one day in a dress will do nothing but alienate her/him. You need to sit down with your wife and Matt and explain your own gender issues and how you feel about it and how you basically support him no matter what. I really don't like the way CIS people tend to minimize gender confusion as if it were somehow about cross dressing. Believe me it is not. He doesn't give a damn about the clothes other than he wants people to respond to him as if he were a dude. Trans people don't want to live secret lives, he wants to be recognized for who he is. Please don't confuse this with your cross dressing issues.
    Well said, Badtranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Well said, Badtranny.
    Careful, people who publicly agree with me tend to disappear. Best to do what the others do and keep it to PM's. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Silver Member
    OMG, something ELSE to worry about! (grin)

Please no chit chatting. This area is not the proper place for that. There is the lounge for chit chatting.

I was not trying to offend anyone and this is not about me !!! just trying to get info. and helpfull advice .

Melinda we understand. Sometimes some people on the forum get distracted and post thing that do not belong in a thread. You are perfectly fine asking questions here. we will try and help you as much as we can. When people ask questions here I try to be as honest as I can. Sometimes when people ask questions it helps me as much as it helps the person asking. Please do not let people chase you away because they get a little off topic.

Gold Member
    Well one with the "asperger's syndrome, please realize that doctors/therapists have been pinning that label (as well as ADD and autism) on as many kids as they can for about 20 years now. It is just their latest tactic to try to get people to spend money on worthless meds...
    The whole ADD/Asperger's/autism has nothing to do with GID.

Also with her wanting to talk about her GID issues, it might work but remember that most people do not get along with step-family as well as they do blood relatives. So it isn't just you having that problem.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Hya Felix here and just want to say this is just my humble opinion about things. I have worked with and mix with people every day who are autistic have asburgers adhd and other such syndromes. They do have a different spec on things. I think the fact that your child has cut their hair, is binding and fully dressing and wants to be called Matt, they are making a clear statement about how they feel about themselves at this present moment in time and this may not change. I am not a cis male I'm a Transsexual male and my gf Helen is a transsexual female. We support trans peeps in our community and run a support group and are currently looking into starting a support group for those younger trans peeps who are under 18.

Helen was never formerly diagnosed as aspurgers as a child but she has done many on line official tests which have indicated that she is aspurgers. Lol I would definitely say she is.

I agree with those who have said that be there listen and support say you will support what your child wants but be very cautious and gentle if you do think its appropriate to tell your child about yourself, it may or may not blow their heads apart. I would handle it with kid gloves. Helens son who has moved in with us after a lot of time away from Helen we suspect he has gone undiagnosed as a child with some form of autism. So as you can imagine I live work and breathe this sort of thing. Also and to some degree we understand as Helens son has cross dressed since about the age of 4 and he still does occasionally he knows we support him and we don't stress out about it we just let him get on with it and help him where we can. Hope this helps .....Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

thank ! we are allways looking for new points of view .

Quote Originally Posted by Joann Smith View Post
    Maybe it just me ..But i think its a horrable idea ...its like you moking her not cool ....To me it seems that when a kid can tell that someone loves them unconditionally they tend to open up...trick is convincing them that your love is truly unconditional.....and calling her bluff seem to be going in the wrong direction..

IMHO
    No, it's not just you, because I agree with you. The way you get her to talk is by letting her know that you care about her and making her feel safe in speaking to you. Even at that, there are no guarantees when it comes to trying to get a teenager to talk you.