Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Stared, Some Laughed, and Some Made Fun of Me. But I Don't Care!

Some Stared, Some Laughed, and Some Made Fun of Me. But I Don't Care!

I love pedicures. I simply love them. Few activities are as simple, yet as validating and enjoyable, as receiving a nice, long, relaxing pedicure.

I schedule pedicures with regularity, and I look forward to each and every one. My nail tech, who owns the salon I visit, is a fantastic woman who treats me no differently than any other female client. She works magic with my toes, puts me at complete ease, and allows me to be myself, speak my mind, and express myself. She is a kind, gentle, beautiful soul that loves life in all of its glorious, magnificent facets.

And once again, one week ago, she performed the seemingly impossible – she transformed what are otherwise average blah man toes into something entirely different. Through her efforts, she instilled and imparted an obvious and beautiful sense of femininity, color, and art unto my toes that I love, love, love. She is truly magnificent at her craft, and I appreciate greatly all that she does for me.

BUT, the thing is, I am no longer happy keeping such things to myself. I want to share the beauty of her work with the world, whether the world cares to appreciate it or not.

As such, every opportunity I have had alone to be out and about in the outside world over the past week, I have done so wearing open toed sandals. I have visited grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations, restaurants, retail stores, and several malls, for example.

During this time, my confidence has grown immensely. I have walk around in shorts, which more than expose and show off my long, shaved, smooth feminine legs, followed by the wearing of open toed sandals that display my femmed out toes.

And I was doing well, too, until I started noticing the stares. Slowly but surely, the more who noticed my toes, the more who stared, talked, and pointed. To these people, I simply smiled back, and moved on. In fact, I kind of thought it was funny, in some disturbing way.

Earlier today, however, in a mall I was visiting, I was subjected to several attacks by teenage girls who felt some need to stalk me down, point me out, laugh, and make fun of me because of my toes and legs. These girls were mercilessly mean. They exhibited a complete lack of understanding, caring, and compassion. Put another way, these girls lacked complete human decency and respect for their fellow man (woman). It was a shameful display of discrimination and taunting. Yet there it was, and I was on the receiving end of these attacks.

The thing is, though, that this was not unexpected. Rationally, even though I had yet to experience a negative reaction from another, and given that I am increasing my exposure in the public arena, I knew such attacks would eventually occur. And in as much as I have anticipated such an occurence, I thought that would take the sting out of it all. It did not. The attacks hurt. The attacks saddened me. But the attacks did nothing to lessen my resolve and dedication. To say the least, this week has been a learning experience for me.

But what exactly is it that I have learned from this week’s experiences? Quite frankly, though, I am genuinely surprised how much attention my painted toes and shaved legs have garnered throughout my travels this week - I thought at most someone here and there would notice them, and that would be it. But it has been soooo much more than that.

What really gets me, though, is that out of the thousands and thousands of people I have been around this week, despite all the stares, looks, pointing, laughing, and talking behind my back, not one random person has come up to me and said “Your nails are beautiful,” or “I really like you pedi.” Not one. If I let that get to me, it would be kind of depressing.

If, however, I let any of this get to me, though, it would be depressing. The thing is, I ain’t going to let that happen. These people are not capable of bringing me down. I am me, goddammit!!!! It has taken me my entire adult life time to recognize how the hell I am, and I am not going to back away from it all now! So as far as I am concerned, they can keep staring, pointing, talking behind my back, and laughing at me. But it ain’t going to change one bit how I conduct business. I have worked too hard and too long to acquire the courage (such that it is) that I currently maintain. I will not allow some intolerant, misguided, perverse, uneducated, silly ignorant folk to strip this all away from me. I just will not allow that to happen.

Regardless, I love my toes. I am proud of my toes. I believe my toes are beautiful. And I want to share my toes with any who shall rise to the challenge of seeing me for the real, authentic, genuine person that I am, and appreciate me for the same. I know such people are out there. Or at least I have been led to believe they are. I continue to keep the faith, though. And I now believe in myself more than I ever have before . . . .

So I am going to continue shaving me legs. I am going to continue wearing open toed sandals that show off my pedis. I am going to continue going out dressed en femme when the opportunity presents itself.

Sure, though, I do not like being laughed at. I do not like being made fun of. But really, who the hell are those people anyways? I don’t know them, they don’t know me. So **** them, I say. They no longer hold the sway over me they once did. Nor will they ever again.

But when it comes right done to it, what I really think their problem may be, is that they were jealous of my pedi, and wanted one of their own. Maybe I am completely off-base on this observation, but here are some pics of my current pedi so that you may arrive at your own conclusion. Were they jealous of mine? Or were they right to make fun of my pedi? You be the judge . . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (79.8 KB, 58 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (81.4 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (64.8 KB, 35 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (81.4 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (85.2 KB, 41 views)
    Last edited by Eryn; 07-07-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Language, see http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_content

**** 'em!

You have every right to express yourself and I admire your courage to do so.

They're very pretty and again, **** 'em!
    I wonder though, if they followed you doesn't that count as harassment?

Some people need to learn that it's not okay to harass people you don't like.
    Last edited by Eryn; 07-07-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Language, see http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_content

My gosh girlfriend your toes are BEAUTIFUL! For sure they were JEALOUS! I'm even jealous! I'm so proud of the way you stand up for yourself! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Anne I have noticed you before and I think I have replied to you before. You are stunning in your avatar. No matter how tall you are or how stunningly feminine you are people will feel you are different. As you well are, I don't want to encourage you or discourage you cause of what others say or do. It is your life live it. Those feeling of discontent will go away and may not come back for a while. So don't concern your head that they aren't there. Those feelings put me in where I am. I carried a bag that was I thought secretly my purse now I carry a real purse. I do it in boy mode too. I may love purses like you love pedi's.

My life doesn't revolve around what someone else thinks. Cause I would not allow their life to revolve around what I think. However maybe I am wrong wearing woman's clothes but I feel great doing so. I am alive and am me. Although wearing clothes is necessary I don't think the kind you wear is what we should worry about.

Hey answer me this I would like to make the way for all of us crossdressers to be able to do wear what we want. Should I work at it or is it something I shouldn't worry about. I want to do it but don't think many would agree. What do you think girl.

Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Those people that laugh are lucky you don't kick them in the ass with those pretty toes.

Banned Read only
    My Dear Anne
    Im sorry to hear of your expierence, your feet and toes are to die for and very beautiful. The young mean girls were just jealous and therefore trying to bring you down. Dont worry about thier juvenile behavior. You continue to walk proud and dont let any of these ignorant folks make you feel otherwise. Your a beautiful person and I would complement you on your pedi if I ever saw you in public

Thera

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Anne, your toes are absolutely beautiful!! I have been getting a manicure and pedicure every 2 weeks for several years. My fingers are always just a pale pink, but my toes are always some beautiful shade of red, sometimes with a design! The 2 girls in the shop know that I am a crossdresser, as do a lot of the customers since I frequently go in wearing a skirt and top!

Like you, I do like to show off my pretty toes! So I wear open toe sandals very often! I don't know where you live, but I live outside of Atlanta, Georgia in a real redneck area. The reason I mention this is that in all the years that I have been going out in public with my pedicure I have never once had anyone make a comment about my toes. Sure, people have looked at them and even taken a second look1 But no comments, ever! And at this point in my life, although I may be fully dressed enfemme, I will not be wearing any makeup or a wig!

Don't quit wearing your open toe sandals. Your toes are way too pretty not to be shown off!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Look at those toes! Friggin' awesome!

Anne there are lots of ******** out there. We can't let them ruin our lives. You're correct in not letting them get to you. I was just talking to my wife today about how people have changed. Nobody cares about anybody else out there. I remember the days when we could leave our homes and cars unlocked. I remember kids respecting their parents and elders. It's a friggin' mess and every man for himself.

Luckily this board is much better, the majority of the people here are cool. The bad ones that always wanted to argue, have the last word, or try to convince people that their POV is right are mostly gone. We care about each other here.

Those idiots out there don't know the wonderful person they're missing out on being friends with. You're awesome Anne, you really are and I'm glad you're my friend.
    Last edited by Eryn; 07-07-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Language, see http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_content

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Oh no girl, don't you go kicking anyone in the ass with those beautiful nails. You don't want to risk injuring them one little bit.

I truly admire this philosophical development, and am beginning to feel the same in myself, although I lack the skills, and situation to go out in public to express them. I am beginning to see little things in my femme life that I am proud of - nothing like that pedi yet, but working on it - and if my situation could allow it, i would display them for all to see. Because in all humans, it is only the expression of our individual characteristics that we display to the public that differentiate us from each other. Every human does this daily by just going out and letting the world see them. We have a more unique situation in that who we are doesnt fit the expected, and thereby attracts more verbal comments than a normal cis gendered person would receive unless they were an outstanding specimen. Therefore, i believe we are close to outstanding specimens of the transgendered community to attract comments (well, at least your pedi certainly is)....lol

In this respect we are normal in that we want whatever we have that we treasure to be partaken of by society. And it is the exceptional ones that draw the most attention and ridicule, so yes, they were jealous, it is just the nature of the press-addled public brain to respond in that manner.

So girl, you keep on with those pedis, and you keep on letting them know what they are missing, and can never have. You've got it girl.

Hugs, Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I love them who cares what others think anyway.
    I dress my toes up all the time and will continue to do so.

The double standards and hypocrisy surely exposes their ignorance because all you are asking is to have the same freedom to do with your body as they demand for themselves.

Can you imagine telling them they are not permitted to wear pants but only dresses or to make fun of them for something related to their appearance perhaps along the lines of body piercings,tattoos or any of a dozen others things people do to their bodies.

This is a problem of territoriality and by you having painted toes you encroached on their turf. It is interesting how those who scream the loudest about having their own personal freedom respected are the first to limit the freedom of others. They want it all for themselves and none for others, usually they are called tyrants and violence follows them like a shadow.

Make a youtube video and post it like the bus monitor video to expose these cowardly ignorant disgusting bullies.

Your courage is admirable Anne and through your courage you expose the hypocrisy of others and make room for for those not yet strong enough to become individuals and not members of some herd terrified of stepping out into the unknown and away from the mindless security of the group whose price of admission is their soul.

If someone wants to get me to stop painting my toe nails they better be willing to use violence because I absolutely hate hypocrites who think they have the right to control others like pieces of furniture so their perfect world is not spoiled.

All compromise is based on give and take, but there can be no give and take on fundamentals. Any compromise on mere fundamentals is a surrender. For it is all give and no take.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    Beautiful toes, Anne! You have the courage to match your conviction, very happy to hear that even though this mall event was so awful. There's no easy or surefire way to deal with mocking teenagers, and unfortunately it will probably happen again, but soldier on, friend! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Anne,
    Think about this as you wonder why noone said you looked nice. If I saw you I would love to say how great your toes and legs looked. No big deal you say ?
    Well how many times has it come up on this site that people do not like to be singled out or pointed out . It is a no win situation for a guy like me that happens to
    appreciate a pretty GIRL !! Just maybe a lot of folks thought you looked great but did not want to say anything. If I had been there when those young girls were there I would have offered to buy you a cup of coffe. Now that would have given everyone a day to chat about. hehehe

Anne, you go girl! Let me just say that this really encouraged me just now! I have been shaving my legs for months... Well I haven't in 2 weeks and I was going to let my hair grow back out for my family reunion... I also got a pedi a few weeks ago with a friend and got a clear coat which I recently removed... Well I think I'm going to go ahead and shave my legs again and I may put another clear coat on my toes which I just buffed smooth... So they should shine rather well. My family is a slightly different issue as I do care what they think, but I think it will be good growing experience for all involved!

I might ditch the nail polish for that week though... Not sure they are ready for shaved body and painted nails.

But I just wanted to say thanks for sharing this! And you are right about the people you don't know, **** em, they don't know you!

Thanks again!
    Paula
    Finally decided on a name! Lindsey

"Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
    J.K. Rowling

I’m jealous to, they are beautiful, OH how I wish !!!!
    I admire your resolve and you should be congratulated for your determination not to be swayed from your path by those un- thoughtful, unkind reactions. You may be going through a rough patch but stick with it girl, don’t let the B******ds grind you down.
    By the way what was the reaction of other people around whilst this was going on ?

Were they jealous of mine? Or were they right to make fun of my pedi? You
    be the judge . . . . .
    Shame on the young ladies who harassed you in a public place. The bus lady analogy was spot on, and failure to teach their children on empathy for other humans. I love the nails very pretty and detail is amazing.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Will this void warranty? Anna Talyn's Avatar
    I agree. Very pretty and good for you for being yourself. The hypocrisy is amazing and they may learn life the hard way at their pace. No need to kick anyone's arse as life does that well enough without our getting involved. I am jealous!

Luv the toes. She did a great job on them. I want that type of pedicure. One day!! Enjoy them and keep showing them off I'm proud of you.
    Life is too short not to be happy!

Anne, the toes are fabulous and if I had them I would want to flaunt them too! Sounds like it was a bad experience handled with the style and grace I would expect from you! There will always be idiots out there and I feel for you. This is exactly what I fear when I want to venture out. I rationalise it as people who are unable to deal with things outside their narrow view of the world. The only way their views will change is by exposure to a broader view that they see as 'normal' and I guess that means that we need to just get on with it so that it becomes 'normal'... what on earth am I saying? **** them I guess! And good on you... now I think I need to get out there today and show them as well!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I'm going to get my pedi today, they really relax me. Not sure what color they will be, but they will be polished. Have been out in sandals for quite a while. Will get some looks, but comments on how good they look make it worth it.

Dear Anne,

Your toes look fantastic! I like my pedicures too and you should see the crazy looks I get sitting in the chair having my nails painted a bright pink. I admire your strength and your ability to shrug off most of the comments and the looks that you have encountered.
    Try a neon green or pink next time with sparkles.

The more that we test the waters to seek acceptance from others it will only help to build our confidence to try it more. If they see more men expressing their true inner feelings like you have done, it will make it more commonplace and therefore harder for them to single out one person anymore.

Be bold, be yourself and look pretty doing it. I really want to do the same thing and I will have to test the waters soon as I really would like to show off my pretty toes to the world. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us, it really will help to motivate more of us to do the same.

Good luck Anne, I am here, just like everyone else is on here to listen and to learn from everyone elses experiences and to also offer our support to help each other out.

Have a great weekend and be pretty too!

WOw. Simply stunning. I'd be proud of them too. I am proud that you have done it so publicly.

You should have gone straight to mall security and had those rude, morons escorted out of the mall for harassment. The only way we can be on equal footing with the world is to force the laws of the land to work for us. We have a right to fair and equal treatment under the law. These mall rats need to learn that there are reprocoutions that go along with your actions.
    Do not give up the ground you have conqured. This is one time a man said something profound " I don't like fighting for the same ground twice". General George Patton.
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.

Hi Anne your pedi is fantastic and it is a shame that teenagers are subhuman that is just there nature. You are right to hold your head high and be proud of who you are you are a beautiful person. Hugs Ronda
    hugs
    Ronda

The road to self-fulfillment is often such a unique & solitary one. Sometimes a fork taken is one which is obscured to others to the point where they might not even see it, let alone take a trip on it.

Your path Anne is clearly a unique one. I could never predict where it is taking you.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)