Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a Real Person, I Exist, and I am Known. My Fear be Damned!!!

I am a Real Person, I Exist, and I am Known. My Fear be Damned!!!

Throughout my adult life, until the past year or so, I have offered and presented to the world only a small fraction of myself and who I am. During this time, with the exception of my wonderful, fantastic, loving wife, no one knew me as Anne. No one knew I am Anne. In fact, no one even knew Anne existed. As it was, the world was completely oblivious to Anne. She simply did not exist. Or rather, she chose not to exist within the world of others.

As for the person that was Anne, she was believed by all to be all man through and through. That was how she deceitfully presented herself to the world, anyways. The fact of the matter was that the person that was Anne was quite adept and talented at playing the hiding game.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten . . . . Ready or not, here I come!"

Except that no one came searching. No one ever came searching. Because no one knew to come, or ever had a reason to come searching. No one even knew a game was being played, much less the rules to the game Anne played. The person that was Anne played the game by herself. It was her game, and her game only. There was no sharing or playing with others.

Still, the person that was Anne was quite the chameleon, blending into the male segments of society with skillful efficiency and desperate determination. She was deep, deep, deep in the closet, and safely tucked away from what she believed to be the pitfalls, dangers, and monsters of the world. Seemingly pulling off the ultimate coup and magic trick, Anne even went so far as to unwittingly hide much of herself from even herself.

It was an impressively convincing act. Anne fooled ‘em all. And no one, absolutely no one, suspected a thing. For years and years and years, the world knew the person who was Anne as only a man. The mask and costume cloaking Anne was perfect, appearing genuine and authentic, and presented a masterful disguise.

Throughout the entirety of her lifetime, the person who was Anne erected many mental walls, defenses, and barriers to keep her insides in, and her outsides out. These defenses were strong, impenetrable, and devoid of any cracks. No entry was allowed. Not even a peek behind the curtains was permissible.

The irony, unrecognized at the time, was that these defenses stripped away any hope for a better day, a brighter future, or the prospect for personal growth and evolution. Any hope for freedom, liberation, validation, and acceptance were likewise locked away behind the gloomy walls of Anne’s defenses.

As the years went by, shackled by her own creation, Anne unknowingly was held captive within her host body. She had become a prisoner within herself. Still, as day after day, and year after year passed, the person who was Anne played the hiding game over and over again. Deviation from the code of male conduct, as set forth and promulgated by an unforgiving and ignorant society, was not allowed except for in the absolute privacy and safety of Anne's closet.

One day not so long ago, though, something completely unexpected happened. Against all the odds, or perhaps because of the odds, a small crack appeared in the defenses that the person who was Anne had spent a lifetime fortifying. By any standard of measurement, it was only but a small, seemingly insignificant crack, but it was a crack nonetheless.

Except that small crack, in truth, was anything but insignificant. Slowly in the beginning, the essence of Anne that was imprisoned within began to trickle out of that small crack, searching for freedom, the light of day, and the beauty and magic of the outside world. The more that trickled out and escaped, the faster it began to flow. As the momentum grew, the larger the crack became.

Before long, the crack burst wide open, spewing the imprisoned essence of Anne into the unknown at break neck speeds. It was fast, furious, chaotic, and intense. The person that was Anne quickly lost control. The determination, the will, and the desire to hide quickly eroded away, revealing many long buried truths, dusty memories, and emotions long denied. The truth, long ignored, began to make itself known – Anne needed to be free.

Through this profoundly powerful and life altering awakening, the person who was Anne came to understand that she had allowed fear to dictate her entire life, and to influence the decisions she made. She had been afraid, and terrified that she would be misunderstood, scorned, rejected, hated, ridiculed, scoffed at, and perceived to be an abomination of society by those around her. She thought she would lose everything if anyone found out the awful truth about her. The person who was Anne was also very much afraid of herself, who and what she really was, and what it all may mean for her and her family.

But the thing is, the truth can only be denied for so long. I am Anne, and she is me. After much reflection, introspection, and work, I now recognize that I have committed a terrible injustice upon myself and Anne. I have made many mistakes. I have allowed myself to be controlled by my fear. By failing Anne, I failed myself. I imprisoned her - me - for God's sake!!! In so doing, I turned against myself, violated myself, and denied myself.

I was wrong to do this, and I see that now. I am also beginning to understand that living in fear is no proper way to live, if the fear can be reasonably confronted and defeated. As a result, my outlook on life has changed and evolved much of late.

It's kinda funny, though. The more I have learned to believe in and accept myself, the more I have recognized that I can not do this alone anymore. I need help. I need others to know about me. I need others to know that I am Anne, and that Anne exists within the world.

So I decided that I wanted – needed - to take a big risk. I decided that I wanted – needed - to invite certain people in to my world, so that they may know me as the real person I am. My fear, though, was significant. In the face of taking action, I wanted to curl up on the floor, cry, vomit, scream, explode, and run away all at the same time. I wanted to be dead. I wanted to be gone. I wanted to be someone else. I wanted to cave in as I always had to my fear, and just walk away into the cold, familiar comfort of shame, embarrassment, and self-loathing. I wanted to hide as I have never hidden before, never to be seen or heard from again. I did not want to be me.

But I did not hide. I did not run. I did not die. Instead, I stood tall and firm, and I faced my fear head on. In this, I did not back away. I did not cower in the face of its debilitating wickedness. I reclaimed the power and sway I had unwittingly fed it for so many years. It was because of me that my fear had become so powerful. But it was also because of me that my fear was defeated and beat down into submission.

Regardless, although doing so was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life, I did it! I spilled the beans and told certain friends and family all about me! In all, I have come out to six of my closest friends and one sister, all of whom I trust implicitly, respect, and love dearly.

Why do this, though? Why now? Why do it ever? After all, it's my life, it isn't anybody else's business, and I'm not hurting anyone. So why take such a potentially huge risk? Especially when there ain't no unringing that bell once it's been rung.

The answer is actually quite simple - because I was dying inside. Just plain dying inside. But as much as I previously had thought I wanted to, I did not want to die. I wanted to live, damn it! I needed to live. So I had to let others in. Knowing no other way, I tore down my walls, exposed the true essence of myself, and threw myself upon the mercy of the court. Live or die. Exist or do not. Be or be not.

But it was more than just this, as if this wasn't enough in and of itself. The problem ran much deeper than I had ever allowed myself to even begin to consider or think about.

The friends and family that I have come out to I love dearly. I have known each and every one of them a very long time, and I know them all quite well. I know who they are, and appreciate what they mean to me. We have shared and experienced much together, and shall continue to do so for as long as life permits. We are all a part of each other's lives, and I feel quite fortunate and blessed to have such special people to share my life with.

I love them for who I know them to be and for who they are, and they likewise have loved me for, well, um, uh, the person they believed me to be, and the person they thought I was.

The problem, though, is that they did not know the real me. They did not know who I really was. They thought they knew. They thought they knew me equally as well as I knew them. But they did not, nor could they have. I had been deceptive. I had been untruthful, untrusting, and unwelcoming since day one of our respective relationships. I had hidden myself! I had presented an incomplete and false version of myself. I had let no one in! I had trusted no one! I had feared everyone! No one knew Anne, which by its very nature meant that no one knew me.

And I find this to be tragic. Absolutely, heart-breakingly, painfully, stunningly tragic. Mind-blowingly tragic. Depressingly and regretfully tragic. Unacceptably tragic. The tragedy of this truth strikes me to my very core, and it hurts much. This tragedy, to be so completely unknown to the world, is epic.

For me, Anne is not something that I do. She is not a hobby, a toy, or just fun and games. The clothes, the makeup, the shoes, the wigs, breast forms, jewelry, and nail polish do not make Anne. Instead, I make Anne. I make Anne because I am Anne. I am so very her, in fact, and she is so inextricably intertwined within my being, that she just is, I just am, we just are, and we are me.

But nobody has known any of this!!! Nobody has known the real me!!! Having four decades and a few years change under my belt, how is it even possible that no one knows me???!!! Statistically speaking, I am aleady beyond the halfway point of my life. More than half of my life is now behind me - POOF - and there is nothing I can do about it.

The cold, hard reality is that I had become very lonely and isolated being me all alone, and trying to do it all myself. I have been lonely, and alone, for so long now. For much too long. I need others. It's important and meaningful to me that I am known to others, that I am accepted by these people for who I am, that they know I am Anne, and that they continue to love me as they did before.

Don't get me wrong, though. I still struggle with myself. I am not at peace with myself. I still constantly question just what exactly the hell is going on with me. And I still fear a great many things, including my future and what all of this ultimately means. But I do know this - coming out to those I have was the right decision for me. I am no longer lonely. I am no longer alone. I no longer need to shoulder this burden by myself and without help.

And for the very first time ever, some four decades after my birth, I am known by others! I mean really, truly known by others. And I am finally known as the whole, complete person that I really am. No pretense, no show, no hiding, and no acting. My truth is out there, and I have found much freedom, validation, and liberation within its release.

My work is far from over. I have no idea what tomorrow may bring. But right now, in the here and now, within the moment, to at least a small circle of friends and family I am Anne. I exist. I am known. I love. I am loved. I am accepted. I am real. And I am me!!!

Platinum Member
    The last paragraph makes all the grief and self doubt and heartache worthwhile. Even if the real you is only known to six people, that person is no longer hidden.

Well..being an honorary member of the Anne 2345 fan club, I'm very happy to read this. Self acceptance is the key to your happiness. Other's acceptance of Anne is the confirmation that she is real and she is awesome!

You are a very good writer. I wish you the best in your journey as Anne.

Anne,

This is glorious prose! And I know and live every moment of it... we are kindred spirits along this journey... I am so glad you wrote this. I really hope that you got a lot out of it in terms of reflective thought. It has helped me 'oodles'! I so love it when someone else describes something that I so relate to. My journey has not been exactly like yours, but the similarities and the learning are awesome!

There are many deeply profound statements in there... I hope the community find them!

Bless.. xx
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Anne, 2012 will be a year of realization and revelation for many of us, if it hasn't already happened. We realize who and what we are and that we do, indeed, have a grand purpose. It's not just an anomaly of society it is something spiritual and profound who we are because we are bringing about balance by who we are and what we do.

In the past there have always been those who were two spirited or dual gendered. Sadly in this modern world of technology, we have basically forsaken our spiritual heritage as a people in favor of "progress". Scientific types don't have a clue as to who we are or why we are here. Even not fully understanding it all we can go with the flow of the feelings. By balancing our own feelings and casting out positive energy to the world we do an enormous service to humanity.

There is no mystery to it, it's just there and we are a part of it. It begins by getting in touch with ourselves and our feelings. Once we do that we can move forward positively. Eventually it becomes about not being a man or a woman but becoming a full spectrum person and accomplishing many positive things. As things progress, more will come to this realization. Recent events have proven this to be true. Enjoy being yourself Anne and you will be happy.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Welcome to the world Anne! It is so sad and often so true that we have to wait for the worst to happen before we can see the best. That awakening can be grand and scary at the same time. Life is too short. It is way too short to try and be what you are not. Thanks for sharing
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Great post, you opened up so much, that most here will not realize what you posted. I appreciate your passion to post it here.
    Life is hard for most, today, in american and europe. I'd like to know what work you need to do. Been here since the beginning, and mostly conservative in my chats.
    [SIZE="3"]Amy[/SIZE]

It's great that six friends and family are blessed to know the amazing Anne! I know I feel blessed to know her throurh this forum! For she lives and always puts a shile on my face! Thank you Anne! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Smile I'm so happy for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    The problem, though, is that they did not know the real me. They did not know who I really was. They thought they knew. They thought they knew me equally as well as I knew them. But they did not, nor could they have. I had been deceptive. I had been untruthful, untrusting, and unwelcoming since day one of our respective relationships. I had hidden myself! I had presented an incomplete and false version of myself. I had let no one in! I had trusted no one! I had feared everyone! No one knew Anne, which by its very nature meant that no one knew me.
    Until two years ago, I had lived my life as a fake. I put on a façade of what the public, friends, and family expected me to be. Like you probably were, I was great at it and it was as natural as breathing. Until I unburdened myself and found out what real, liberated living is like!

And I find this to be tragic. Absolutely, heart-breakingly, painfully, stunningly tragic. Mind-blowingly tragic. Depressingly and regretfully tragic. Unacceptably tragic. The tragedy of this truth strikes me to my very core, and it hurts much. This tragedy, to be so completely unknown to the world, is epic.
    I understand so, so well! This isn't a game, is it? This is your life. And I completely understand the sense of utter tragedy at the prospect of staying hidden and pretending for the rest of your life. Earlier in my life, I thought I'd stay in the closet, so to speak, and deal with it later. Then I started to realize I'm not guaranteed a "later" and could be gone tomorrow. That's when the urgency to live my truth and be "real" set in. Like you, I took that big, wonderful, irreversible step and started living authentically.

For me, Anne is not something that I do. She is not a hobby, a toy, or just fun and games. The clothes, the makeup, the shoes, the wigs, breast forms, jewelry, and nail polish do not make Anne. Instead, I make Anne. I make Anne because I am Anne. I am so very her, in fact, and she is so inextricably intertwined within my being, that she just is, I just am, we just are, and we are me.
    Again, I totally get this. This is me! I think it's different for some others for whom it's all about the clothes and nothing else (not that there's anything wrong with that!!), but I am truly transgendered so what we're talking about is the core of the person. Unless that core shines through all the way to the outside, life is miserable. Believe me, I understand.

But I do know this - coming out to those I have was the right decision for me. I am no longer lonely. I am no longer alone. I no longer need to shoulder this burden by myself and without help.

And for the very first time ever, some four decades after my birth, I am known by others! I mean really, truly known by others. And I am finally known as the whole, complete person that I really am. No pretense, no show, no hiding, and no acting. My truth is out there, and I have found much freedom, validation, and liberation within its release.
    It is like experiencing sight or air for the first time. The liberation, fulfillment, and "rightness" of being released from fear and being authentic is like nothing I've experienced any other time. You have to go through it to know what it is like.

I have no idea what tomorrow may bring. But right now, in the here and now, within the moment, to at least a small circle of friends and family I am Anne. I exist. I am known. I love. I am loved. I am accepted. I am real. And I am me!!!
    That not knowing what tomorrow may bring is so exciting. The fork in the road is thankfully behind you and you're really on your path to self-actualization. This is too epic to miss. You didn't it and that's awesome! I wish I could give you more support than my forum ramblings. I'd give you a hug and suggest a girl's night out.

I am new here anne, but you have justified my reasons for joining.
    to put so much heart and feeling into a post makes me want to sit down and cry.
    you are you, you are anne and you are real, you have also touched my heart.
    For that I thank you.

You Anne have said a lot. The trilling words are what kept me so I could finish it. I feel so deeply succinct to it. I am so close to the word fear my fear, as to the fear of before telling others of me. I am so comforted in what you have written I feel as much that those same six people know me too. Though there are a lot more here as I let a lot of people know to save myself. Thanks so much for telling of your struggle I feel that I was with you there in those same trenches. I am sure others can relate to a lot of what you have shared. Welcome Anne you have arrived and are now home. Welcome Home!

Luv
    Tess
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Hello Anne. It is a very great pleasure to meet you.

Brighid

Anne,

What a beautiful self realization. I can totally relate to it, as that is what happened to me at age 42. In one week, I filed for divorce and transitioned to living full time as the woman I really was, although I had only fully dressed a few times in my whole life, after having had the same revelation you just had. As I was reading, I couldn't help thinking that I could have written the same post.

I am happy for you and I know that whatever your future brings, being true to yourself is the one thing you can do to truly make yourself happy.

Love always,
    Elizabeth
    [SIZE=3]It is always our choice, who we are-Waking Life[/SIZE]

Kudos to you, my friend! For some, this thing has the power to destroy us, unless we find a way to get a grip on it and control it somehow. For you,this control has come partly in the way of showing your inner self to others, and gaining a validation of yourself from them in return. I'm so glad for you that this has worked out for you thus far. Perhaps this will help to bring you out from under the shadow of depression that has dogged you for so long. It's a truly beautiful thing!

I'd caution others that while they can take confidence, courage, and direction from you in this move, that they should also look carefully at their own situations and move with caution and care. But when one is able to come out from under the shroud of anonymity (deception?) in which we must sometime cloak ourselves for our own protection and well-being, it's truly a good thing, and a step forward for all of us.

And those of us that have had the benefit of watching this emergence of yours over this past year are all truly glad for you, and we join in your joy. You're truly an inspiration to us all, and a great positive addition to this forum.

You got the love, g'frind!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

And the world is better with Anne. Very profound writing. I believe you have just written a catharsis that should be a mandatory read for all new joining behind us. I just hope all the girls, past and present, take time to read this. The tribe has spoken. You, Anne, are our Queen! Ruling Queen.
    I am an Artist working in all Mediums including Sexy

Anne i want to say THANK YOU you have just helped me more in 5 mins then i have been able to do in 64 years you have shown me that is so important for me to open up and let me be know to others and most importantly allow me to be me as a whole person no person except my wife has know the whole me and i see now that i need that for me to be a whole person again THANK YOU Love Hugs Ronda
    hugs
    Ronda

Brilliant Annie,

I really loved it and I'm so pleased that you are being so real.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    Of course you're real! The most prolific writer and original thinker that I know!
    Janice

Many die not realizing they lived tragic lives because it takes courage to look inward and see how what is inside shapes what is on the outside and often this is to ugly or scary to admit and so we play the blame and denial game.

You are making your own good fortune by using your pain to grow instead of withering away, to create instead of destroy. You are walking the road less traveled.

Use the past as fuel to feed your passion to continue moving forward until you are free of the fear that binds you, to see clearly even for a moment makes life worth living and no life is wasted in this pursuit, only in it's absence.

You are doing what few ever do and that is to move toward transparency.

“To be nobody but yourself – in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else – means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight – and never stop fighting.”

- E.E. Cummings

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Anne, my heart truly leapt for joy reading this as I see in your words a true understanding of yourself that few of us may ever come to realize. The words give me hope that I may sometime also have these words in my heart, even if i cannot put them down on paper as eloquently or with as much depth of understanding.

I have only ten months of accepting my life as a crossdresser, and even less as a transgendered person, and very little time being exposed to the Barbara within me that is truly woman. i yearn for the understanding you have presented us.

I really lack words to respond in depth to the wonderful life experience you just shared. My one feeling was this. I am standing at a gravesite. There is a wonderful assemblage of my sisters surrounding me. I open a bottle of the old country's drink, and pour the first drinks on the freshly laid earth. In almost universal voice we say, He is dead. Long live Anne, and we all take a drink, and leave so much happier for it.

Love and Hugs, Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Beautiful,honest and so familiar.

I really, really appreciate all of the kind, thoughtful responses and support. As always, it means much to me! And but for you all, and everything you have done for me, none of this would have been possible . . . .

Anne,
    You've expressed heartfelt feelings that so many of us can relate to.
    Thank you for sharing such profound insight.
    Although you do not know me please know that I am 100% behind you.
    Kayla C
    Last edited by Kayla C; 07-14-2012 at 11:53 PM.